The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Guest Danny86
So both Madonna albums released in April have been massive flops - she really should stick to March if she's going for a spring release.

There was the May album I'm Breathless that didn't become a blockbuster either, even though "Vogue" was as big as "4 Minutes". :p

Actually it's only ROL that wasn't affected by the spring release, but because of that comeback thing going on, and she even did well in the USA. Like A Prayer was a huge drop after True Blue, it sold only 790,000 in 1989, but sold half of that in 1990 because of the tour, so it eventually sold as much as COADF sold in just a few months (and on the back of 2 singles).

I'm sure if Erotica & Bedtime Stories were released in the spring, they would have done just like American Life or Hard Candy...

COADF could have faired worse - it was released in same week as take that's greatest hits and come back. A Xmas release dont always mean a success. It will help in the sales. COADF was released almost 6/7 weeks before Xmas and its first 2 weeks may not have even been par tof the XMas sales period and if they were then only minimally. Sales tend to rocket in December.

COADF was and is a much better and much fresher and a far more innovative album than HC. A lot of people who like madonna in the UK are generally people who like good progressive innovative pop music. There is always a buzz with a Madonna release - they know 1 thing - there will be pop music like you never heard it before. I prefer AL to HC for that reason too. At least it was M being creative.

Guest Danny86
COADF was and is a much better and much fresher and a far more innovative album than HC. A lot of people who like madonna in the UK are generally people who like good progressive innovative pop music. There is always a buzz with a Madonna release - they know 1 thing - there will be pop music like you never heard it before. I prefer AL to HC for that reason too. At least it was M being creative.

Oh don't hijack this thread with the same nonsense! :dramatic:

Guest Hafo

Midweeks - Jul 01

Singles

1 Dizzee Rascal

2 Ne-Yo

3 Jordin Sparks

4 Coldplay

5 Basshunter

Top 10

Ironik

Top 15

Ting Tings

Top 20

Madonna - 4M

MGMT

Top 30

Estelle - American Boy

Madonna - GI2M

Jay-Z - 99 Problems

Freemasons

Top 40

Jay-Z - Numb/Encore

Estelle - No Substitute Love

Goldfrapp

Alphabeat - Fascination

Maroon 5

Albums

1 Coldplay

2 Duffy

3 Chris Brown

4 Neil Diamond

5 Darren Styles

Top 10

Seth Lakeman

My Chemical Romance

Ting Tings

Subways

Amy Winehouse - BTB - Deluxe

Top 15

Rihanna

MGMT

Top 20

Dirty Pretty Things

Vampire Weekend

Top 30

Madonna - HC

Elbow

Top 40

Estelle

Kings Of Leon

Wombats

G Unit

Eddy Grant

HC and 4M down, GI2M slightly up from Sunday.

I agree. HC would have sold more if it were released in Nov/Dec, but that it the same for all albums/artists. So should every single artist release their albums in that date? If an album is good, it will sell all the year round, as it happened with ROL, Music, CODF (it was charting higher than HC even after 18 weeks of being released and having sold many more records).

Why some people dont want to admit that HC is underperforming in the UK? Its even struggling to sell 1/4 of CODF. Moreover, it's takes ages to sell all the Wembley tickets. I think that tells a lot too.

Guest Danny86
Yeah but unlike AL and HC, LAP was considered a classic album from day one. It's poor sales in 1989 was because the chavs were buying everything SAW back then.

:lmao: I know! Still can't believe a SAW/Kylie record outsold it!

People were actually suggesting Madonna would fade at the end of 89 :lmao:

I think LAP would have done bigger numbers in 1990 had they released a couple of more singles from it and maybe repackaged it with Vogue added but she recorded IB so that she could fulfil her intiial contract ahead of renegotiating it with Warners.

Looks like GI2M has STALLED then - I said from day one it was a STUPID choice for the second single.

Once the remixes and physical are released it will no doubt go up.

Guest Hafo

Warner is really screwing this up by not releasing the digital single. The momentum might be lost if it is not available soon, along with some of the remixes!!! Wonder what's stopping this, it was supposed to be out first on June 9, then a fortnight ago.

Guest Hafo

Not impossible. 3 songs with huge potential to be future #1s just jumped GI2M over Sunday and Monday. GI2M is still #16 on iTunes, and it should go up by Sunday (to maybe between #19 and #22), it could to better if a combination of "old" songs start falling by Thu/Fri. And of course if more people buy it online ;)

Warner is really screwing this up by not releasing the digital single. The momentum might be lost if it is not available soon, along with some of the remixes!!! Wonder what's stopping this, it was supposed to be out first on June 9, then a fortnight ago.

but wasn´t the digytal single released this monday??

Guest Hafo

Nope, not yet. I cannot find them anywhere in iTunes UK or Ireland. Only the Deluxe/Standard HC version and the Paul Oakenfold mix.

Nope, not yet. I cannot find them anywhere in iTunes UK or Ireland. Only the Deluxe/Standard HC version and the Paul Oakenfold mix.

so that top 30 position is not bad at all, and if they release the digytal single, let´s say, next week...

Guest Hafo

... the momentum might have gone. It's a risk WB is willing to play. Let's see how things are by Thu or Fi, hopefully their gamble will be worth it.

Kylie promotes her music in the UK alot - she is on virtually every show. Plus she released Enjoy Yourself before XMAS and it came on the back of her big debut.

1988-89 was a big time for Kylie. She had to wait until 2001 for that level of success again.

Im am shocked LAP Aand COADF did nt sell more though. I do feel they could have both gone 5 x platinum in the UK with ease. However, Madonna is not Kylie and does nt go out of her way to promote her album. im surprised so many of M's songs have scraped the top 10 in the UK with her attitude.

:lmao: I know! Still can't believe a SAW/Kylie record outsold it!

Guest SuperPop
Im am shocked LAP Aand COADF did nt sell more though. I do feel they could have both gone 5 x platinum in the UK with ease. However, Madonna is not Kylie and does nt go out of her way to promote her album. im surprised so many of M's songs have scraped the top 10 in the UK with her attitude.

COADF had amazing sales for the music sales climate (even back then sales were dropping like a rock)

Guest Danny86
Kylie promotes her music in the UK alot - she is on virtually every show. Plus she released Enjoy Yourself before XMAS and it came on the back of her big debut.

1988-89 was a big time for Kylie. She had to wait until 2001 for that level of success again.

I know the reasons she sold more, but it's still unfair. I mean, many people bitch about the US where dance music by Madonna is largely ignored and rap is selling, but I think Enjoy Yourself selling more than Like A Prayer in the UK is just as tragic.

FedFed: Yeah, 790,000 in 1989, she was like #7 or #9 on the year end chart with sales like that.

These are a few other sales I found on Haven:

TOP 10 BEST SELLING ALBUMS OF 1998

9. RAY OF LIGHT- Madonna. 899,000

TOP 10 BEST SELLING ALBUMS OF 2000

10. MUSIC- Madonna. 1,020,000

COADF was not in the Top 10 year end of 2005, but it sold 833,000 copies.

American Life probably sold 300,000 in 2003.

As you can see, when she releases in the fall, she sells a whole lot more in a shorter period of time. ROL just sold slightly more than COADF even though it had 10 months in 1998, compared to one and a half month of 2005 for COADF...

Guest Hafo

Wednesday Midweeks

Singles

1 Dizzee Rascal

2 Ne-Yo

3 Basshunter

4 Jordin Sparks

5 Coldplay

Top 10

Ironik

Top 15

Ting Tings - both tracks