4 minutes was bigger than touch my body

SOS

I still hear 4 minutes on the radio. can some of the chart geeks prove to me what I already know - that 4 minutes was a bigger hit in the USA and worldwide than Touch my Body... touch my body was hot for like a minute, but then it backed off... 4 minutes was more slow and steady.

I think based on sales, 4M wins handsdown in both continents. TMB had huge sales in the beginning but it seemed to be fueled primarily by lambs. The longevity of 4M would seem to indicate that it appeals also to casual fans.

Of course, K=FC2 is a bigger hit than "Hard Candy."

Depending on how one awards points determines the difference. For Billboard's year-end charts, BB simply adds together all the points a track accumulated for each week it appeared on the chart. TMB had lots more airplay than 4M, but 4M has had more sizable sales- but, whether that's enough to make up for the airplay differences remaisn to be seen (it may not).

I still hear 4 minutes on the radio. can some of the chart geeks prove to me what I already know - that 4 minutes was a bigger hit in the USA and worldwide than Touch my Body... touch my body was hot for like a minute, but then it backed off... 4 minutes was more slow and steady.

but Touch my body helped mariah to sell more albums than madonna in the US, so I donĀ“t know

Guest Danny86
but Touch my body helped mariah to sell more albums than madonna in the US, so I donĀ“t know

You're obsessing over the US sales of HC way too much. Mariah went to a lot of tv shows and she released her second single at the same time with her album release, plus her previous one sold 3 times more as COADF. Yet Mariah passed a million only now, after 8 weeks or something.

But couldn't have this been discussed in the chart forum in one of the existing threads? :confused:

Isn't HARD CANDY bigger than K=FC2 worldwide?

Look at my bloody sig! :lmao:

And in terms of impact I would say without a doubt 4 Minutes made a bigger mark then Touch My Body in America. And I am not just saying that cause I am biased. I will admit that Mariah kicked Madonna's ass in the states last time if we are comparing the two. TMB came and went. 4 Minutes blew up pretty fast and has stuck around.

Old news here. 99% of Mimis songs are huge for 13 minutes Each one quickly blows up then fizzles away out of nowhere. Kinda like a blackhead, which quickly develops into a huge puss ridden pimple, than at the right time it pops, oozes all over the place, then w/in 3-4 days its healed/gone like it was never there! best analogy I can give over the "artist" agenda that is Mimi hehe

:megamanson: :megamanson: :megamanson:

Touch my body hit no1 only in the US just because they released it on i-tunes with huge delay

How can you compare it with 4 Minutes? I mean, even Sorry is way bigger than that

Sorry was no1 for seven weeks in the United World chart.. Touch my body for ZERO weeks

"Sorry" reached the top spot on the United World Chart, ending the fifteen week reign of "Hung Up" on the chart, bumping it to number two. Madonna is the first artist, since the creation of the chart, to have two singles sitting at the top two positions on the chart in one week.The United World Chart ranked "Sorry" as the 57th most successful single since 1999 with sales/airplay of around 5.18 million points

but 4 Minutes sold almost twice as much in the US than Touch My Cellulite. Sales are more important Just because Mooriah held a download contest and her radio payola peaked at the same time as the download contest was being held means nothing other than another bid at a US #1.

4 Minutes was more successful in the US and WAY more successful worldwide.

K=FC2 will struggle to catch the worldwide sales of Hard Candy(even with the inevitable "re-release" of K=FC2 with brand new singles forcing stupid lambs to buy the album all over again)

Guest iMisto

I think Skin is right. 4M has had a MUCH larger impact than TMB, regardless of the peak positions.

Somebody brought up a good point, a while back... Thriller never hit #1, it peaked at #4, but ask anybody, and they'll know the song, and probably a few dance moves from the video. I'd much rather be remembered for Thriller, than TMB. hahaha!

I think Skin is right. 4M has had a MUCH larger impact than TMB, regardless of the peak positions.

Somebody brought up a good point, a while back... Thriller never hit #1, it peaked at #4, but ask anybody, and they'll know the song, and probably a few dance moves from the video. I'd much rather be remembered for Thriller, than TMB. hahaha!

Apart from that, Mariah released her song on i-tunes 6 weeks after the radio release!! Madonna just waited one week! If she had waited one more week, I don't say 1.5 month like Mariah did, she would have hit #1 just because of massive downloads. She waited just for one week and the song almost sold 250.000. Not to mention that she released it on Tuesday. Is it true that Touch my body is the first single in american digital history released on Monday just because the sales for the hot100 are from Monday to Sunday?!

i totally think that 4 min had a bigger impact than Touch My Body.... like in a few years 4m will be remembered as a reincarnation of madonna.... whereas TMB will just be another mariah carey song that was popular for a hot minute.

and did this thread REALLY have to be moved??? it's not meant to be about CHARTS.... it's about the SONG and its impact.... all aspects of the song included. over organizing sucks ass :)

Guest Bad Robot

It's probably at least on par with if not bigger than TMB.

But just judging from the completely unscientific anecdotal evidence around me -- I have heard 4M on the radio far more than TMB, while among friends and at the clubs, they seem about even.

Guest iMisto
fair enough, but... 4 Minutes is no Thriller. :bruised:

Obviously.

What I'm saying is, that even though TMB hit number 1, it doesn't mean it had NEARLY as much impact as 4M. Like, at the end of the year, people are going to remember 4M as one of the hits from 2008. I doubt they'll even think about TMB.

Obviously.

What I'm saying is, that even though TMB hit number 1, it doesn't mean it had NEARLY as much impact as 4M. Like, at the end of the year, people are going to remember 4M as one of the hits from 2008. I doubt they'll even think about TMB.

i concur

i think people will remember TMB. i mean, it WAS successful.

personally, though... it sounds like just about every other generic song that mariah puts out. honestly, i don't understand how she's lasted so long putting out the same sound over and over again.

who's gonna remembering what? it's easy and simple the american system likes to have a singer under control and mariah is without any personality, so they push her over the top.

second she was married with.... we know who!!!! and she loves to do shopping then she llikes to buy radio station. it's enough??????????

by then, MJ and Quincy had figured out how to manipulate the system a bit. and mariah carey has turned it into a science. :manson:

i wonder who could coin such an item... what is the study or science of chart manipulation? MARIAHCOLOGY?

oh, i didn't know it was the 6th song from the album (was just 9yo)... wow, i wonder why they made such a great song a 6th single...

oh, i didn't know it was the 6th song from the album (was just 9yo)... wow, i wonder why they made such a great song a 6th single...

Thriller wasn't such a great song when you first heard it as part of the whole album. It was one of those songs you hear and you say ..meh.. what makes it sound like a great song decades later is its notorious video. What an era that record was though ... it was just endless ... too bad MJ had ruined his legacy. But money and fame can be difficult to deal with. Even though I'm a fan, I still cannot believe how this tiny woman from Detroit has managed to keep herself sane in the public eye for almost 30 years now ...

My two cents... I like both songs. Of course being a huge Madonna fanatic, I am going to be bias to "4 Minutes" and say I like the song even more. Either way, I like both songs. As for which one is more successful; chart wise... "Touch My Body" went to #1. "4 Minutes" didn't. However, it appears "4 Minutes" has longevity on it's side regarding radio airplay and staying on the charts at a steady pace.

Many of the biggest and memorable songs never reach #1. Some deserved #1 status, but it just didn't work out that way. I imagine it's the same for "4 Minutes". And if you look back, Madonna has had a good number of hit songs that never hit #1 (in the U.S.) that are memorable and had longevity on U.S. radio. And they are:

Material Girl

Express Yourself

Into The Groove (didn't even have a proper single in the U.S., but still charted simply by airplay and public interest)

I'll Remember

Rain (didn't even hit top 10, but this song was huge on U.S. radio).

Holiday

La Isla Bonita

Borderline

and I imagine we can add "4 Minutes" to that list now!

All of these songs have been memorable hits by Madonna. Most all of them are recognizable to non-fans.

Guest ercos

4M can and may be higher than TMb in the year end as it has stayed longer in the top10 and maybe in the top40 (well see in 3 weeks) and sales are much much higher... i hope BB will stick to its formula this time