US Chart Talk: 6/14/08

thebigham

Guest dicktracy
Just because "Thriller 25" is selling decent doesn't mean his new album will sell. First off the album "Thriller" was hugely successful and still popular to this day, which is thanks in part to the video which is always in the top 10 on itunes and elsewhere so of course people want to know what all the hoopla is about. I'm talking about younger people here btw about who weren't around when Michaelmania was at it's peak and only know him for his sex abuse cases and plastic surgery and not for his music and talent.

Rememer though, people like OLD MJ. They like the MJ from the 80's, who was seen as normal, not the FREAK he's turned himself into today. True Michael has a loyal fanbase, but they are not enough to help give him a major comeback that he surely wants. He must have the general public embrace him for him to be successful again, but considering the fact that he's recieved more negative press than just about ANY artist or celebrity in history, I don't see it happening. It will take a miracle for him to go platinum in the U.S. with his next release (whenver that's coming out).

I'm guessing his new one sells anywhere from 2-3 million tops World Wide, if that much. His reputation is beyond tarnished and will NEVER recover, but he can still have some moderate success possibly.

Michael is HUGE in Germany!!!!

Thriller is played in Geico commercials that air a lot, that probably helps.

I thought it was that silly Life Water stuff? In anycase the song should have NEVER been used for that. Sad really.

Strawberry is just mad because an old ass album from MJ outsold Janet's last 2 albums combined. :catfight:

Invincible sold that much while MJ was at war with the label. Anyone remember all that crazy shit? I think (as usual) people will be surprised how a proper MJ cd does with support from the artist and label.

My freind Ed:

Full trajectories below. "4 Minutes" loses its bullet on all charts except Adult Top 40 where it is an "Airpower" selection. "Give It 2 Me" no longer appears on any chart, but would seem poised for a return in the not too distant future.

Madonna - "Hard Candy"

The Billboard 200 - 1*-3-8-9-11

Billboard Comprehensive Albums - 1*-3-8-9-11

Top Digital Albums -1-2-6-11-13

Top Internet Albums - 1-4-7-5-7

Tastemakers - 2*-2-9-12-off

Top Canadian Albums - 1*-1-2-2-2

European Top 100 Albums - 1-1-1-1-1-2

Madonna - "The Immaculate Collection"

Top Pop Catalog - 15*-35-39-off-off

Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland - "4 Minutes"

The Billboard Hot 100 - 68*-3*-3*-7-6*-4*-6-7-7-8-10

Hot 100 Airplay - 51*-41*-30*-27*-16*-13*-11*-13*-12*-12*-12

Hot Singles Sales - 1*-2-1-4-4

Hot Digital Tracks - 2*-1-2-1*-3-4-5-5-8-8

Hot Digital Songs - 2*-1*-2-1*-2-2-5-5-8-9

Pop 100 - 32*-3*-2*-3*-3*-3*-3-5-6-7-6

Pop 100 Airplay - 22*-15*-12*-11*-10*-9*-7*-6*-6*-6*-7

Hot Dance Club Play - 54-32*-12*-5*-1*-1*-2-5-8

Hot Dance Airplay - 5*-5-4*-4-4*-3*-2*-2-2*-1*-2

Hot Dance Singles Sales - 1*-2-1-1-2

Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks - 39*-35*-35*-29*-26*-24*-22*-23*-21*-20* (Airpower)

Rhythmic Top 40 - 39*-31*-28*-28*-30*-31*-30-33-34

Latin Pop Airplay - 39*-off-32*-29*-27*-28

Hot Videoclip Tracks - 10-10-5-1-5-6-5

Canadian Hot 100 - 27*-1*-1*-1-1-1-1-2-1*-1-1

Hot Canadian Digital Singles - 1*-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-3

Japan Hot 100 - 6-16-47-63

Madonna - "Give It 2 Me"

The Billboard Hot 100 - 57*-off-off-off-off

Pop 100 - 41*-84-off-off-off

Hot Digital Tracks - 28*-74-off-off-off

Canadian Hot 100 - 8*-13-67-off-off

Hot Canadian Digital Singles - 4*-22-39-67-off

Madonna - "Miles Away"

Japan Hot 100 - 36-7-11-12

HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: Next week’s Top 5 should all be north of 100k for the first time this year and with much less stratum than in previous weeks. Six of our projected Top 10 entries are debuts, and a seventh, Chris Brown, is resurging thanks to his deluxe edition hitting the streets.

Topping next week’s chart will be the debuting Disturbed (Reprise) with 235-250k, followed by two more bows in DGC/Geffen’s Weezer at 150-160k and Capitol’s Now 28 at 145-155k. Usher appears headed for #4 with 140-150k, with Journey’s Wal-Mart exclusive locking down the fifth slot on 100-110k.

The projected second five are Ashanti (Universal Motown) with 75-85k, Sex and the City (New Line) with 55-60k, second-week entry 3 Doors Down (Universal Republic)45-50k, Jewel (Valory) with 45-50k and Chris Brown (Jive) with 35-40k. (HDD)

Guest nothingfails0603

Usher falls to #4? Is it too soon to call it a flop ;)

Confessions was in the top 3 for months

Strawberry is just mad because an old ass album from MJ outsold Janet's last 2 albums combined. :catfight:

Invincible sold that much while MJ was at war with the label. Anyone remember all that crazy shit? I think (as usual) people will be surprised how a proper MJ cd does with support from the artist and label.

Excuse me, but how is 3.5 million less than 1.5 Million? Because that's exactly what Janet's last two albums sold together combined and that's much more than the 1.5 million that the s*itty re-re-re-re-re-re-release of "Thriller" sold. At least Janet is still releasing NEW material and touring, unlike Jacko who seems content living in the past and re-releasing old albums. You don't see Janet re-releasing "Rhythm Nation" or "Control" like her crazed brother now do you? Right because Janet is not that sad and pathetic. She doesn't live in the past and keeps giving her fans new and fresh material. She is the only Jackson keeping the music legacy alive and is the only relevant one in the entire family . "Little Sister" has surpassed big bro and has lasted longer in the music business too, :lmao:. I love it! GO JANET!

Excuse me, but how is 3.5 million less than 1.5 Million? Because that's exactly what Janet's last two albums sold together combined and that's much more than the 1.5 million that the s*itty re-re-re-re-re-re-release of "Thriller" sold. At least Janet is still releasing NEW material and touring, unlike Jacko who seems content living in the past and re-releasing old albums. You don't see Janet re-releasing "Rhythm Nation" or "Control" like her crazed brother now do you? Right because Janet is not that sad and pathetic. She doesn't live in the past and keeps giving her fans new and fresh material. She is the only Jackson keeping the music legacy alive and is the only relevant one in the entire family . "Little Sister" has surpassed big bro and has lasted longer in the music business too, :lmao:. I love it! GO JANET!

Janet is hardly relevant outside your bedroom.

Guest socalboy1984
Janet hasn't been relevant since her boob popped out at Superbowl! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Amen. I'm digging that "Feedback" song but calling Janet relevant? Let's be realistic here.

Janet is hardly relevant outside your bedroom.

I think Janet might be down but not out. All she's gotta do is come out with a good album. The good thing about Janet is that at least she's taken more risk with her career than Mariah ever will....anyways has she even taken any risks or always play on the safe side because of being afraid not to get a #1? I'm pretty sure you would know.

If Mariah takes risks or not, that doesn't matter. We're discussing Janet, and serioysly, I see no risks in releasing Feedback at all.

Yeah you're right Mariah wouldn't know anything about taking risks. I didn't say Janet took any risks in releasing Feedback, that was just a crappy song and I really don't know much about the ablum because I didn't bother to buy it. Her music hasn't really interst me since AFU. Prior to that, youcan definately say that she took a big risks in releasing GTIG (from the VR) and even Scream...back then she was on top of her game compare to now. And also this isn't just a Janet thread that's why I brought in Mariah.

Yeah, I figured out that you just found a lame excuse to bring Mariah to the argument.