GIVE IT 2 ME USA Airplay

mtzlplk

i checked the quick cut info and pop spins have continued to climb slightly

it is the hot ac and rhythmic stations that have begun to cool the song

either way i say bring on bgo

So, unless a miracle happens GI2M is a flop in the US. How that will affect her shows' ending now? GI2M was supposed to be the very last song, the grand-finale...but does she want a flop for that? :dazed:

well M knows her true fans like it... she's not going to depend on radio performance to decide what to close the show with...

TBGO will stand a chance at radio... IF it will be "supported" at least by the record company... but I bet it will surpass GI2M in airplay quite easily... as for the 4th single, HEARTBEAT may be at the advantage since it is the opening song...

Guest Bad Robot
In my opinion GITM is a great song , fresh and innovative , the problem is not Madonna or her songs but the US radio stations , radio stations all around the world are playing GITM and the same happened with Sorry, Get together , Hollywood etc...it is only a US problem.

I don't think you know what innovative means. What about GI2M breaks the mold? Nothing really.

Songs don't HAVE to be innovative to be good is my point. But when Madonna tries something the public hasn't heard in a pop song before, it gets a much warmer reception.

Madonna is not an artist like Mariah who is known for riding the wave and making songs that follow the trends. Madonna is known for pushing the trends forward, so for her to release an entire album that feels like it would've been fresh two years ago, it's not going to get her the same success as something like the ROL or Music albums, which took fairly underground (to a broad audience) sounds and brought them to the mainstream.

Sorry but there is not a single song on Hard Candy that could be classified as experimental or innovative. That does not mean there aren't good songs, it just means that it doesn't play to Madonna's strong suit, and most music fans like Madonna when she is showing them something new.

Guest Danny86

BR, what you're saying about innovative and trendsetting songs for Madonna is the exception, and you're just trying to point out how ROL & Music was better than HC. Madonna has been struggling on radio since 2003, do you really think if she released something "innovative" as in less radio friendly, she'd get played? Not to mention that "Frozen" & "TPOG" were quite radio friendly and NOT trendsetting, while the title track of ROL didn't even do that well on radio, even if it's the only song that's played on recurrent and it sounded quite innovative as well.

As for the album being fresh 2 years ago, well that's unfair as well. Because if HC is 2006, then what was American Life or COADF? Once again, Madonna's career is NOT based "bringing something new". You even forgot 1994-1995 when Madonna did not bring anything new at all, her only innovative track "Bedtime Story" was a colossal flop and the rest was "play-it-safe" music for radio and her airplay was higher than sales.

There are plenty of reasons why HC can't be as successful as ROL or Music, but not being innovative and trendsetting is not one of them in my opinion. If HC was totally different and left-field, most of you'd be saying "oh it's too different for the Americans, they are not getting it, like they never got Erotica".

Oh and I'd say "Incredible" is quite experimental or HC. I remember when the album came out there was a rumour that Warner considers it as 4th single. Everyone was having a meltdown (I think it happened on another forum) and said the single would go nowhere. And I agree, I can't see it doing better than "Give It 2 Me" anyway, regardless of being experimental or not.

BR, what you're saying about innovative and trendsetting songs for Madonna is the exception, and you're just trying to point out how ROL & Music was better than HC. Madonna has been struggling on radio since 2003, do you really think if she released something "innovative" as in less radio friendly, she'd get played? Not to mention that "Frozen" & "TPOG" were quite radio friendly and NOT trendsetting, while the title track of ROL didn't even do that well on radio, even if it's the only song that's played on recurrent and it sounded quite innovative as well.

As for the album being fresh 2 years ago, well that's unfair as well. Because if HC is 2006, then what was American Life or COADF? Once again, Madonna's career is NOT based "bringing something new". You even forgot 1994-1995 when Madonna did not bring anything new at all, her only innovative track "Bedtime Story" was a colossal flop and the rest was "play-it-safe" music for radio and her airplay was higher than sales.

There are plenty of reasons why HC can't be as successful as ROL or Music, but not being innovative and trendsetting is not one of them in my opinion. If HC was totally different and left-field, most of you'd be saying "oh it's too different for the Americans, they are not getting it, like they never got Erotica".

Oh and I'd say "Incredible" is quite experimental or HC. I remember when the album came out there was a rumour that Warner considers it as 4th single. Everyone was having a meltdown (I think it happened on another forum) and said the single would go nowhere. And I agree, I can't see it doing better than "Give It 2 Me" anyway, regardless of being experimental or not.

Big Robot said it correctly. When Madonna releases a "good Madonna record" people are more receptive to it and the record does well regardless the response from radio. Or the radio may not support her overwhelmingly but at least they will give her a chance. Or if the record is good the airplay becomes somewhat irrelevant.

Madonna is a commercial artist and nobody expects from her to release something completely experimental. So I define a "good madonna record" as a pop, fresh, innovative record with interesting lyrics and great videos. Hard Candy is not such a record. Pharell's songs were meant to be somewhat experimental but they failed. I don't really get his productions and what he was trying to do. It seems he had no vision and didn't know what to do with Madonna and she also failed to inspire him. Timbaland's songs are good but forgettable songs. They are not big pop events like Say It Right or Apologize or The Way We Are (although 4M came close and I consider it a good pop song). Her working with those producers didn't quite work.

Guest LoveAngelMusicBaby

I agree, and I don't think it's fair how we as Madonnafans try to find the "good" in everything she does, and magnify it times 10, and not really see it for what it is, a deeply mediocre and uninspired album, yet pretty catchy and not all that bad really, but not the gem everyone thinks it is, with very trashy album artwork and an image which is pretty....lame. M dolla? Come on now, how low down the totem pole can you go?

I think there are many ways she can stay current and hip without resorting to outright "ghetto".

Even the look in her eyes, the image, look up above at the Madonnanation ICON, conjures up feelings in me that say, grow up lady, stop trying to rule the world with your evil and wicked and controlling spirit, find your God, like you came close to doing on Ray of Light, and make some good music.

Hard Candy era is basically just a filthy rich 50 year old woman that thinks that she can will herself to youth, and relevance. That's all it is, but with no budget, thanks to Warner Bros to make good videos and no will power to care about promotion.

In the end, Hard Candy isn't bad by any means, but it's not worthy of praise.

Give it 2 Me is NOT radio friendly, end of story.

As far as the other singles, perhaps they stand a chance if she'd release them before this Hard Candy era starts cooling off even more so.

Give it 2 me on the charts IS VERY painful to watch, like the other posters mentioned because it's just....struggling like a wounded animal that you know is going to die, but keeps on twitching and moving ever so slightly, fighting for dear life, and you want to put it out of its misery. :scared::scared:

Beat Goes On MIGHT work, candy shop at this point is more US friendly, anything really. just something, and SOON.

As far as give it 2 me ending the tour? I think that's a completely retarted idea that only the fans will appreciate.

Even naming the tour Sticky & Sweet tour, is a bit ridiculous.

This whole era honestly sucks, and what's sad is,

it showed AMAZING promise with 4 minutes.

That was a powerhouse.

Now we're back to flops :-(

We as Madonna fans are starbux sipping, cracked out, hyper and Madonna-information hungry, power-typing insane-bots, who support everything and anything she does. We don't say NO. We may not like what she does but we still want it, want to hear about it, support it. We may not like Ed Hardy, but people still go out to nordstroms buy the shirts, etc.

People may not like "M-Dolla" but they still tivo and record her appearance at BET, and support every little thing.

I mean look, people aren't stupid. The general public is shallow, but they know a 50 yo woman when they see one, and when one tries to look black, but is really white, with a fake english accent and tries to be down w/the dawgs......it's not going to happen.

Unless you hire 50 other people to work with you (which is why 4 minutes succeeded).

:dramatic:

Come on now!.

A HUGE reason why ROL and MUSIC even succeeded is because they presented mature, grown-up, and "nice", public-friendly versions of Madonna, and music that was beautifully and professionally produced. But people KNEW she was in her late 30s, early 40s, and she acted it, but in mature way, spiritual way, like a woman her age should be, and wasn't acting like some desperate britney kissing m-dolla diva.

It worked, simply put. As people age and grow, they also change and mature, and Madonna seemed to do so.

It's like right now the show 90210 comes on, and those characters STILL act the same as they did when they were in high school. It would be like "Grow up kelly , grow up donna!"

Well guess what?

90210 was 90s,

and Madonna started in 1983.....

so for Madonna to still act and produce music that she did from that long ago.....

well you know how ridiculous that is?

I mean....it would be silly for even actresses like Jennie Garth and what not to act like they did in 1992, let alone Madonna to act and sound like she did in 1983.

Do you see how unrealistic we are as Madonnafans even?

We're nuts, and Madonna is nuts for even selling herself that low.

I say act more your age, mature, and just...STOp this mdolla holla wilma b8llshit and maybe you'd get some respect back.

NOT that she needs it but come on,

even albums like the 1st album presented a less trashhy and more catchy music than on Hard Candy.

Just because the United States of America is going down the tubes doesn't mean, sell yourself out and become a trash wannabe -h9e to sell records.

IT's bad enough that she already has other negative press about her, and the whole ticket scalping profiteer thing doesn't help either.

Madonna does NOT need to prove herself or does not need to do jack anymore but,

at this point, I prefer even Erotica madonna to this.

Edited by LoveAngelMusicBaby

Guest LoveAngelMusicBaby

Thanks, I try to insert some intelligence, I mean not all of us in the US, are drones who can't type and think.

AND,...Give it 2 Me is NOT a world-wide total flop. Here are some chart stats:

UNITED WORLD CHART: #9

U.S. DANCE: #2

U.K.: #7

CANADA: #8

FRANCE: #5

IRELAND: #10

ITALY #4.

So how's that a worldwide flop?

Guest LoveAngelMusicBaby

I just have to add, as of right now, this is my honest to god opinion on how the singles would do in the US alone if released:

Candyshop: would stand a chance simply because it's "ghetto" enough to appeal to the US masses, especially if it got a hot remix.

Heartbeat: stands a chance because it's catchy, fun a bit gwen stefani ish at the "see my booty get down like" bit.

Miles Away: decent ballad, but very boring. Would flop.

Beat Goes On: one of the strongest chances for a hit this album has left

SHe's Not Me: No chance in hades.

Dance 2Night: Honestly sounds a bit like Fergie's Glamorous. Both songs have that whole "rich and famoussss, dancee, party, dance" theme to it going on. Might work, has Justin on it.

Voices: no chance in hades.

Incredible: better chance than give it 2 me lol.

Devil: Ballad but an INTERESTING one. WOuld do well.

SO honestly, after all is said and done, WHY she chose to release this Steve Miller band Abracadabra sounding, strange song called Give it 2 me, as her second single is beyond me.

Why YOU guys like it so much I don't know.

But I'll tell you this,

her only saving grace is, she DIDN'T name her album this and this wasn't her first single.

If her 1st single flopped was this and flopped this bad,

Madonna would have officially been DEAD in the US.

D E A D.

4 minutes saved her. Too bad it's so short lived.

So all you give it 2 me loving fans,

what do you SEE in this song?

It is not a flop, but we all know that with a better video and with some promotion it could have been a massive hit. It seems that Madonna is tired of having massive hits. I really don't know why, I don't think tv doesn't want her anymore and she has enough money to produce amazing videos. She doesn't even care about her fans, because as I read here everybody believe she can do so much better with different choices. So, why Madge? Why do you let us down? Tired of being the queen? Sounds really strange to me.

Some of you have way to much time on your hands and need a better hobby. If you don't like it, then turn it off.

If you don't care about charts, why do u come in this forum? Be honest if you can. Of course we survive even without madonna's hits, do you think we do nothing else in our lives? At least we don't offend our next as you do.

If you don't care about charts, why do u come in this forum? Be honest if you can. Of course we survive even without madonna's hits, do you think we do nothing else in our lives? At least we don't offend our next as you do.

I never said that I don't care about the charts. What some people talk about are their personal opinions. They state those opinions like they are facts.

I agree, and I don't think it's fair how we as Madonnafans try to find the "good" in everything she does, and magnify it times 10, and not really see it for what it is, a deeply mediocre and uninspired album, yet pretty catchy and not all that bad really, but not the gem everyone thinks it is, with very trashy album artwork and an image which is pretty....lame. M dolla? Come on now, how low down the totem pole can you go?

I think there are many ways she can stay current and hip without resorting to outright "ghetto".

...{snip}...

Wait a minute, what? Despite how long and overblow that post was, your dissertation of HARD CANDY is 100% editorial on your part. Not rooted in anything other than your opinion. What's not "fair" is Madonna's fans trying to impose their opinions, ideals and dictations on her work. She's not making music for any one specific person, other than herself. And what the fuck is "ghetto" about HC? Are you serious? It's a fluffy contemporary dance album. Not too far removed from the album before it. Or is it 'ghetto' simply because the two main producers she worked with happened to black men? You're full of it.

Guest LoveAngelMusicBaby

Actually, people like me, who post here, do NOT say that what I'm saying is FACT. It's merely my OPINION and observation as a Madonna fan. This is a MADONNA forum, right? This topic in particular is about CHARTS/AIRPLAY, and guess what genius? It's in "THE CHARTS" tab of Madonna Discussion Areas, so this is where people like ME, and others who care about chart positions of hers POST.t.

So if you don't like it, why don't you go to "GENERAL MADONNA DISCUSSION?"

Or something more suitable to your needs?

1)We're Madonna fans.

2)We Care about Madonna and her career because we love her. Fans love their artist.

3)You're basically saying, don't talk about certain aspects of Madonna ON A MADONNA FORUM.

4)you're insane if u think that's credible by any means.

So plz, I get your point how it's not important yadda yadda but....look at where you're posting.

As far as her being "Ghetto" what I meant by that isn't that the album itself is deep ghetto, that's laughable, i'm saying it's one of the closest attempts at "dumbing down" her music as she could.

By ghetto in this case I did NOT mean , black , urban, hip hop, I merely meant, dumbing down her song to appeal to the masses. Is Hard Candy NOT that?

MY POST IS DEFINITELY 100% JUST MY OPINION.

It was long but still.

I never said it was FACT. Some things in it I'm sure are fact, like chart positions if I listed any, the rest is my opinion, so what are you arguing about?

OF C OURSE I'm stating my opinions. We all do, INCLUDING you.

I think you're a bit angered because you think my post I was trying to pass off as FACT.

No. no no no no.

Just my take on why her songs are flopping, or my problems with her current era,

and if you recall,

one poster even said that I had a "VERY INTELLIGENT POST."

SO guess what?

You're being negative, rude, and ...well, not too many people are siding with you here so, think about that.

Frozen and TPOG are ballads but i would nt say they are typical radio friendly ballads. They are more different that the dance pop she has done. American radio does not play ballads with electro/down beat influences. disagree when you say they were not trend setting. They may not have been trend seting ass in all the other artists copied the sound but those songs even today sound fresh.

Most people who are not fans of Madonna always appreciate and anticipate what she is doing next - love rher or hate her - her music is always a pleasant surprise - barring Hard Candy. I love dance music and HC is more of a dance than urban album but theres just something missing. When I heard 4 mins for the first time I thought "what the hell is this? is this the best she could come up with after 2 years?"

Theres just something so uninspirng and soul-less about the whole project. Miles Away is my fave song of it. the rest are just OK or cringeworthy.

Oone of the songs on the album was supposed to be so "organic". I bet timbaland has learn a lot from Madonna.

Its really disappointing that people will think that Madonna will only chart because"its got justin or kanye's rap on it" - I cantbelieve we have stooped so low.

M should F Pop Radio and concentrate on AC from now on. Jump did ok on AC

I cant believe i might have to wait another 2 years for some good offering by M.

Guest LoveAngelMusicBaby

Well I don't know exactly how psychologically healthy it is to have to "wait" that long (2 years) for some new Madonna material, and I personally don't believe ANYONE should be that obsessed and fanatical, that they have to anticipate her next move like it's the most exciting thing ever.

:drool::drool::drool:

I mean, what if she passed away? What if she retired? then what?

You'd all just ...jump over a bridge wouldn't you? :goodbye:

Stop obsessing and be happy with what you've got.

Many of you have such unrealistic expectations and hopes, like Madonna is this constant source of entertainment and always will be.

Here's a hint for those two years: FInd other artists, find hobbies, find a fulfilling job or something that can be as equally entertaining as Madonna,

and MAYBE your two years won't be so excruciating.

Other than that, I agree with everything else you wrote. Hard Candy is soulless to a degree, and many of the songs reflect it. But that's only because you're a music and Madonna veteran.

To a newbie, this would be just fine.

I mean really, while many fans and other people with too much time on their hands write a thesis, on the artistical breakthrough of Ray of Light, or the sounds of Hard Candy,

other people are getting a life.

If many of you had one, I really doubt Madonna's failures would zing as much.

As much as I enjoy writing here, and all this stuff, chart positions etc,

it's WAY too fanatical to be following her chart performance day to day to day.

I mean, we're all ADDICTED!!! :scared::scared::scared:

I'm dissing myself just as much as you and everyone else.

How healthy is this?? :nocomment:

Edited by LoveAngelMusicBaby

Guest Bad Robot

I think there were a lot of interesting posts here in the past day or so.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to say that innovative = good and not innovative = bad. I'm saying that Madonna very successfully reinvented herself in 1998 as a pop singer who brings underground sounds to the mainstream. She could have continued down the Adult Contemporary path of Take a Bow and You'll See and become a sort of Celine Dion type singer who plays well on the local soft rock station, but instead she went with music that excited her.

Frozen, Ray of Light, Music, Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day -- you have to have a very bad memory to not realize how different those songs sounded from what was popular at the time. Even Hung Up, which wasn't really all that ground-breaking, sounded very fresh because it was very successfully merging retro disco with modern pop in a very catchy way.

That is not to say far out in left-field works, there is a careful middle ground.

A little edgy + very catchy = a Madonna hit.

And btw, saying Hard Candy feels like a 2006 album is not an insult -- "Loose" and "Future Sex Love Sounds" were great albums that came out in 2006, and HC feels very much like them. HC has grown on me quite a bit.

But, even if you disagree with me that being a little edgy is what gets Madonna success, I have to say that just for *me* as an individual, when I feel like she's taking something underground to the mainstream, that's when I like Madonna best.

There are hundreds if not thousands of great songs by once very popular artists that fail to chart these days. Madonna is doing far better than most of them, but nobody should look at GI2M as some sort of negative exception. For the past five years, it takes something truly stand out to get Madonna a hit. HU and 4M managed that, nothing else has.

Guest boytoyville
I think there were a lot of interesting posts here in the past day or so.

I want to be clear that I'm not trying to say that innovative = good and not innovative = bad. I'm saying that Madonna very successfully reinvented herself in 1998 as a pop singer who brings underground sounds to the mainstream. She could have continued down the Adult Contemporary path of Take a Bow and You'll See and become a sort of Celine Dion type singer who plays well on the local soft rock station, but instead she went with music that excited her.

Frozen, Ray of Light, Music, Don't Tell Me, Die Another Day -- you have to have a very bad memory to not realize how different those songs sounded from what was popular at the time. Even Hung Up, which wasn't really all that ground-breaking, sounded very fresh because it was very successfully merging retro disco with modern pop in a very catchy way.

That is not to say far out in left-field works, there is a careful middle ground.

A little edgy + very catchy = a Madonna hit.

And btw, saying Hard Candy feels like a 2006 album is not an insult -- "Loose" and "Future Sex Love Sounds" were great albums that came out in 2006, and HC feels very much like them. HC has grown on me quite a bit.

But, even if you disagree with me that being a little edgy is what gets Madonna success, I have to say that just for *me* as an individual, when I feel like she's taking something underground to the mainstream, that's when I like Madonna best.

There are hundreds if not thousands of great songs by once very popular artists that fail to chart these days. Madonna is doing far better than most of them, but nobody should look at GI2M as some sort of negative exception. For the past five years, it takes something truly stand out to get Madonna a hit. HU and 4M managed that, nothing else has.

Nice post. I agree with what you said.

obsessing? i think you took my comment a bit far......i think some things what you write make sense but your patronising and pasing judgemnets on peoples lives of people you have never met. if anything your obsessing over my so called obsession

i was young enough to remember LAP, TIC, erotica, BS - the singles were good and remixes too but album dire, then madonna became a bit boring....U'll See was good.......although it was nt till ROL I was back into her...

Well I don't know exactly how psychologically healthy it is to have to "wait" that long (2 years) for some new Madonna material, and I personally don't believe ANYONE should be that obsessed and fanatical, that they have to anticipate her next move like it's the most exciting thing ever.

:drool::drool::drool:

I mean, what if she passed away? What if she retired? then what?

You'd all just ...jump over a bridge wouldn't you? :goodbye:

Stop obsessing and be happy with what you've got.

Many of you have such unrealistic expectations and hopes, like Madonna is this constant source of entertainment and always will be.

Here's a hint for those two years: FInd other artists, find hobbies, find a fulfilling job or something that can be as equally entertaining as Madonna,

and MAYBE your two years won't be so excruciating.

Other than that, I agree with everything else you wrote. Hard Candy is soulless to a degree, and many of the songs reflect it. But that's only because you're a music and Madonna veteran.

To a newbie, this would be just fine.

I mean really, while many fans and other people with too much time on their hands write a thesis, on the artistical breakthrough of Ray of Light, or the sounds of Hard Candy,

other people are getting a life.

If many of you had one, I really doubt Madonna's failures would zing as much.

As much as I enjoy writing here, and all this stuff, chart positions etc,

it's WAY too fanatical to be following her chart performance day to day to day.

I mean, we're all ADDICTED!!! :scared::scared::scared:

I'm dissing myself just as much as you and everyone else.

How healthy is this?? :nocomment:

Guest LoveAngelMusicBaby

Hun ur rite in that I dunno u, but I <3 ya, ur a fellow M fan :thumbsup: and if I sounded patronizing/negative, etc, I really didn't mean to. It's simple really. People either write things that agree w/the general concensus, or disagree, and mine happened to disagree.

I almost get the feeling that we're not allowed to disagree and we have to shut up if we have anything negative to say. :nocomment:

But as to say to the poster that replied again, I agree with that Madonna's songs were innovative, and she needs something interesting to get played, but I feel that's unfair when artists like Mariah can release generic crappola year after year and get played with no problem.

Give it 2 Me is NOT a bad song, but I really don't know why it was released second. I mean, I don't know. It's struggling on airplay, it's NOT picking up, the video sucks and is not being spinned on either VH1 too much or MTV, so at the end of the day, I guess I just miss the days when Madonna's videos coming out were events, and her "singles" were huge events too, even if they flopped. They marked almost mini-eras within an era. When ROL first came out with her album cover, and then frozen came out I thought wow, this is intense. Then ROL came out and the video which matched the album cover, same with DW/SFL, I thought wowowowow, this is even better than frozen, and totally different which excited me. POG was again, totally different, and same for NRM. The Geisha thing. It's like ROL alone had about 500 different looks and moods and mini-eras. It was truly exciting, and after that, every song/video was met with anticipation.

Then after that it just kept going downhill until nowadays, a single/video from her don't even mean much, and like someone mentioned in another post, her tours aren't as elaborate, and the stages are simplified with just relying on those screens too much.

That's all I'm saying to sum it up. Not being negative or patronizing.

Just....want some more effort I guess.

BTW did anyone see how skinny and awful she looked at a current Kabballah centre meet withh her family?

IT's scary!!! she needs to eat. :scared::scared::scared: