US Chart Talk: 5/24/08

thebigham

even that is f@cked up... to think Live Nation would like to ensure that their investment in MADONNA would be recouped ASAP yet they shut out big spender JAPAN this time around and AUSTRALIA... are they expecting to sellout with high-priced tickets?

hello? i think you missed the point of the quote!!

:vanitybonet:

bks at Pulse:

BILLBOARD HOT DIGITAL SONGS - TOP 50

-- 1 RIHANNA TAKE A BOW 266696 999 0 266696

Would this be Madonna, if 4 mintues was released to sale last week? ANSWER: NO. SHE WOULD HAVE ABOVE 300000 sales and a SUREFIRE HOT100 NR.1 HIT. HER THIRTEENTH.

She's keeping those markets for the time when she can no longer sell out the USA.

Madonna is obligated to tour at least twice more in the next 8-9 years. She will go to those markets only when needed.

wow, does she think fans will take that as it is just like that? being taken for granted? :noway:

Maroon 5 performed on American Idol last week. That explains there sales explosions. They did good too and I'm not really a fan of them at all.

Billboard.com:

Diamond Dominates Billboard 200 With First No. 1

May 14, 2008, 10:25 AM ET

by Katie Hasty, N.Y.

In another busy week in the top tier of The Billboard 200, Neil Diamond's "Home Before Dark" zooms in at No. 1, becoming his first chart-topping album. The Columbia set got a big plug when Diamond appeared on "American Idol" two weeks ago, bolstering its 146,000 first-week U.S. sales, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The Rick Rubin-produced "Home" is Diamond's biggest debut sales week since SoundScan began tracking in 1991. He first appeared on Billboard's charts in 1966 with "The Feel of Neil Diamond"; the closest he ever got to No. 1 was with the 1973 soundtrack to "Jonathan Livingston Seagull," which reached No. 2.

With 103,000 units, Toby Keith's double-disc collection "35 Biggest Hits" (Show Dog Nashville) bows at No. 2. The country star has scored three prior No. 1 albums and two No. 2s.

Meanwhile, Madonna's "Hard Candy" (Warner Bros.) falls from the top slot to No. 3, moving 94,000 with a 66% slip. "American Idol" star Clay Aiken debuts at No. 4 with "On My Way Here" (RCA), with a slightly less total than "Hard Candy." Aiken's last studio album, 2006's "A Thousand Different Ways," started at No. 2 with the much larger sum of 211,000.

Mariah Carey's Island Def Jam album "E=MC2" continues its decline 2-5 with 87,000 (-9%), and Leona Lewis' "Spirit" (Syco/J) slips 3-6 with 76,000 (-10%).

Gavin DeGraw's self-titled sophomore effort from J Records climbs on board at No. 7 with 66,000. Interest was spurred by the single "In Love with a Girl," which has peaked at No. 34 thus far on the Hot 100. "Gavin DeGraw" easily trumps the No. 103 peak of 2004's "Chariot" and the subsequent entry of "Chariot -- Stripped" at No. 56.

Josh Groban's concert CD/DVD "Awake Live" (Reprise) starts at No. 8 with 58,000, his seventh album to chart on The Billboard 200. Another country mainstay scores a top 10 spot with a hits collection, as Dierks Bentley's "Greatest Hits: Every Mile a Memory" (Capitol Nashville) opens at No. 9 with 43,000. His most recent studio album, "Long Trip Home," peaked at No. 5 in 2006.

Latin superstar Luis Miguel claims his highest charting album ever, as "Complices" takes a bow at No. 10 with 32,000. "Complices" (Warner Music Latina) also gives Miguel his eighth No. 1 on the Top Latin Albums chart -- the most of any artist in the history of the list.

Back on the 200, Tye Tribbett & G.A.'s "Stand Out" (Columbia) stands out with a No. 16 debut (26,000), and German rock troupe Tokio Hotel's "Scream" (Interscope) enters at No. 39 with 16,000.

Album sales this week are up 6.9% from last week's sum with 8.12 million units and down 4.6% from the same week last year.

seriously. lets call it as it is: a good number of music consumers do not like this album.

mind you, that has no bearing on anyone's personal taste, but the speculation and theories are beat to a pulp.

the numbers are real.

something went wrong. but mainly the marketing of this album was all wrong from day 1. the cover is just awful, imo.

some good albums still manage to sell well: Alicia Key's sold over 730k first week. still in the top 30 after 6 months. same for Mary J. Blige's.

US Chart Alert:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_dis...f1d6bf1d1061065

• Last week's No. 1, Madonna's "Hard Candy," falls to No. 3, shifting 94,000 -- with a not-so-sweet 66% decline. That's the third-largest second-week percentage drop for a No. 1-debuting album this year. DAY26's self-titled set (down 73% in its second week) and Janet Jackson's "Discipline" (down 68%) posted bigger erosions. Here is a quick rundown of 2008's No. 1 debuts and their sophomore-frame drops: Mariah Carey's "E=MC2" (61%), Leona Lewis' "Spirit" (54%), George Strait's "Troubadour" (65%), DAY26's "DAY26" (73%), Danity Kane's "Welcome to the Dollhouse" (62%), Rick Ross' "Trilla" (54%), Alan Jackson's "Good Time" (55%), Janet Jackson's "Discipline" (68%) and Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static" (52%).

Thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Although i'm sure the fact that EVERYONE declines in the second week will go over the heads of most loons reading it.

Why the American Idol effect lasts so much?? I mean, Natasha was there 2 weeks ago, we saw the effect on last week's sales but again this week!

Billboard.com:

Diamond Dominates Billboard 200 With First No. 1

May 14, 2008, 10:25 AM ET

by Katie Hasty, N.Y.

In another busy week in the top tier of The Billboard 200, Neil Diamond's "Home Before Dark" zooms in at No. 1, becoming his first chart-topping album. The Columbia set got a big plug when Diamond appeared on "American Idol" two weeks ago, bolstering its 146,000 first-week U.S. sales, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The Rick Rubin-produced "Home" is Diamond's biggest debut sales week since SoundScan began tracking in 1991. He first appeared on Billboard's charts in 1966 with "The Feel of Neil Diamond"; the closest he ever got to No. 1 was with the 1973 soundtrack to "Jonathan Livingston Seagull," which reached No. 2.

With 103,000 units, Toby Keith's double-disc collection "35 Biggest Hits" (Show Dog Nashville) bows at No. 2. The country star has scored three prior No. 1 albums and two No. 2s.

Meanwhile, Madonna's "Hard Candy" (Warner Bros.) falls from the top slot to No. 3, moving 94,000 with a 66% slip. "American Idol" star Clay Aiken debuts at No. 4 with "On My Way Here" (RCA), with a slightly less total than "Hard Candy." Aiken's last studio album, 2006's "A Thousand Different Ways," started at No. 2 with the much larger sum of 211,000.

Mariah Carey's Island Def Jam album "E=MC2" continues its decline 2-5 with 87,000 (-9%), and Leona Lewis' "Spirit" (Syco/J) slips 3-6 with 76,000 (-10%).

Gavin DeGraw's self-titled sophomore effort from J Records climbs on board at No. 7 with 66,000. Interest was spurred by the single "In Love with a Girl," which has peaked at No. 34 thus far on the Hot 100. "Gavin DeGraw" easily trumps the No. 103 peak of 2004's "Chariot" and the subsequent entry of "Chariot -- Stripped" at No. 56.

Josh Groban's concert CD/DVD "Awake Live" (Reprise) starts at No. 8 with 58,000, his seventh album to chart on The Billboard 200. Another country mainstay scores a top 10 spot with a hits collection, as Dierks Bentley's "Greatest Hits: Every Mile a Memory" (Capitol Nashville) opens at No. 9 with 43,000. His most recent studio album, "Long Trip Home," peaked at No. 5 in 2006.

Latin superstar Luis Miguel claims his highest charting album ever, as "Complices" takes a bow at No. 10 with 32,000. "Complices" (Warner Music Latina) also gives Miguel his eighth No. 1 on the Top Latin Albums chart -- the most of any artist in the history of the list.

Back on the 200, Tye Tribbett & G.A.'s "Stand Out" (Columbia) stands out with a No. 16 debut (26,000), and German rock troupe Tokio Hotel's "Scream" (Interscope) enters at No. 39 with 16,000.

Album sales this week are up 6.9% from last week's sum with 8.12 million units and down 4.6% from the same week last year.

Is she flopping too??? :dramatic:

Is she flopping too??? :dramatic:

Well she has done loads of freakin promo and she is still seeing decline. I wouldnt call it flopping though. AGAIN, the album market sucks. This is just how it is.

Well she has done loads of freakin promo and she is still seeing decline. I wouldnt call it flopping though. AGAIN, the album market sucks. This is just how it is.

I was being sarcastic when I wrote that, but i'm not surprised it flew over a few heads....yours being the acception. :thumbsup:

My poing is that virtually everyone is dropping 50-605 the second week, so Madonna is not a special case. Mariah dropped over 605 her second week, and has continued that trend. This is the state of the record industry, and strong promotion can only go so far. Mariah has done every form of promo imaginable, including getting married, yet she's still slipping down the charts.

I agree that Madonna could have done more promo, but it is what is is. Madonna does what Madonna wants, and if she was the greedy money hungry bitch some have been calling her, I think she would have been out pimping this album for all she was worth. The fact that she hasn't tells me everything I need to know

I do think WB needs to get a clue and release giveit2me ASAP. A july release is DISASTER.

Guest Hafo

From HDD:

Death Cab for Cutie Aims for #1, as U.K. Songstress Makes Impressive Bow

May 14, 2008

Their Narrow Stairs is going to chart heaven.

Death Cab for Cutie’s sixth album, and second for Atlantic, is headed for #1 on next week’s HITS sales chart, according to our network of retailers still standing around the country.

Based on one-day sales reports, the critically acclaimed new release, fronted by the eight-minute-long single, “I Will Possess Your Heart,” will sell around 140k in its first week and easily end Neil Diamond’s reign atop the chart.

The big news, though, is Wales songstress Duffy, whose highly touted Mercury/IDJ bow, Rockferry, is showing surprising strength in the marketplace, with a total of 55k which will have it debuting inside the Top 10.

Reprise/Rhino’s Frank Sinatra collection, part of WMG’s comprehensive deal with the late legend’s estate, should sell between 65-70k.

Jason Mraz, now on Atlantic for his new album We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things, is headed for 60k in sales.

Veteran soul star Keith Sweat’s Rhino release, Just Me, should do around 30-35k, while Universal Republic Knoxville, TN, rockers 10 Years are in the 25-30k range for Division, their follow-up to 20005’s The Autumn Effect, which produced the #1 Modern Rock hit, “Wasteland.”

The market was up 7% over last week, down 5% vs. same week last year and now down 11% year-to-date. We return you to your regularly scheduled Hillary Clinton Obama-bashing

From HDD:

Death Cab for Cutie Aims for #1, as U.K. Songstress Makes Impressive Bow

May 14, 2008

Their Narrow Stairs is going to chart heaven.

Death Cab for Cutie’s sixth album, and second for Atlantic, is headed for #1 on next week’s HITS sales chart, according to our network of retailers still standing around the country.

Based on one-day sales reports, the critically acclaimed new release, fronted by the eight-minute-long single, “I Will Possess Your Heart,” will sell around 140k in its first week and easily end Neil Diamond’s reign atop the chart.

The big news, though, is Wales songstress Duffy, whose highly touted Mercury/IDJ bow, Rockferry, is showing surprising strength in the marketplace, with a total of 55k which will have it debuting inside the Top 10.

Reprise/Rhino’s Frank Sinatra collection, part of WMG’s comprehensive deal with the late legend’s estate, should sell between 65-70k.

Jason Mraz, now on Atlantic for his new album We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things, is headed for 60k in sales.

Veteran soul star Keith Sweat’s Rhino release, Just Me, should do around 30-35k, while Universal Republic Knoxville, TN, rockers 10 Years are in the 25-30k range for Division, their follow-up to 20005’s The Autumn Effect, which produced the #1 Modern Rock hit, “Wasteland.”

The market was up 7% over last week, down 5% vs. same week last year and now down 11% year-to-date. We return you to your regularly scheduled Hillary Clinton Obama-bashing

No Madonna prediction. I guess its pins and needles until this time next week. :demonic:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Give me American Life's sales in US week-by-week

:americanlife:

That was it's entire Top 200 run. I don't have exact numbers for the weeks when it fell off.

Thank God BB's numbers were way higher than HITS. So, 375k in 2 weeks. I don't think you can call that a flop. Janet's album has done that in 3 months. Now, THAT's a flop. :manson:

2m at Pulse:

#1 Neil Diamond 145,840 146,150

#2 Toby Keith 103,025 103,166

#3 Madonna 94,177 374,450

#4 Clay Aiken 94,071 94,121

#5 Mariah Carey 87,070 828,576

#6 Leona Lewis 75,709 555,467

#7 Gavin DeGraw 66,107 66,173

#8 Josh Groban 58,320 58,427

#9 Dierks Bently 42,537 42,537

#10 Luis Miguel 32,338 32,580

Pulse:

Rihanna's 'Bow' Soars 52 Spots To Lead Hot 100

May 14, 2008

by Silvio Pietroluongo, N.Y.

Rihanna will make a near-record rise to the top of the Billboard Hot 100 tomorrow (May 14) with "Take a Bow," which blasts 53-1. Opening-week digital downloads (267,000) are the reason for the sudden surge, as the track begins at No. 1 on Hot Digital Songs.

The song's bump is the second-best leap to No. 1 in Hot 100 history, trailing only Maroon 5's 64-1 jump with "Makes Me Wonder" last May. Coincidentally, Rihanna is featured on the band's "If I Never See Your Face Again" which will debut tomorrow at No. 57.

With the lofty digital take, Rihanna now owns two of the top three opening week download tallies in chart history. Mariah Carey's "Touch My Body" set the mark with 286,000 last month, surpassing the 277,000 moved by Rihanna's "Umbrella" when it debuted in the June 9, 2007 issue.

"Take a Bow" is one of four new songs on an expanded CD/DVD edition of Rihanna's "Good Girl Gone Bad" album, due June 17 via Def Jam.

-- Billboard Online

Half of the posters in this thread are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zlf_17hecY

When America's current "teen queen" sweetheart who nearly caused RIOTS amongst kids and parents because of lack of concert ticket demand can "only" muster 3 million in album sales you know things are bad. Look back to Britney's hey day as a "teen queen" she was selling more than 10 million. Typically teen idol phenomenons sell HUGE numbers. Not anymore. Some of the comparisons you guys are giving are ridiculous how the f*ck are you going to compare MADONNA'S sales to that of the PHENOMENON known as American Idol stars like Carrie Underwood and Daughtry...GET A EFFING CLUE PEOPLE!!! Since when has Madonna sold 7 million copies of an album?? 1986!! OMG...I just can't take the lack of knowledge... :dramatic:

And nice to know that Britney and Madonna are the only ones to have the best selling song in a week and not be #1 on the "official chart". LOVELY.