US Chart Talk: 5/24/08

thebigham

I think Madonna realized a long time ago that selling CD's is longer where it's at. No surprise she jumped ship and hopped onto Live Nation. Record labels and Radio wanna spoon feed America with Creed, Nickelback & Mariah Carey. I couldn't care less about them. Times have changed. Consider COADF, it managed to sell 1.7 million copies with minimal play for ONE song. Back in 1992, Erotica sold pretty much the same, it was considered a flop. As far as I know, COADF is not considered a flop. Hard Candy had a decent debut. All the people on here calling the album a flop, what are you thinking? It's only been out 2 weeks.

I for one, am loving the album and can't wait to see her live. As for the amount of records she sells, out of my control, and quite frankly, I don't see why so many people are hung up about the numbers.

Let America have their Creed, Mariah and Nickelback. I'll be jamming to Madonna. The Queen has a looong career ahead of her, at this point records sales are not the end all be all.

Madonna is the GREATEST live performer alive. The stage is where she comes alive. Let Mariah have her record sales, Madonna will dominate the BOXSCORES. Hmm, I wonder who will make more money?

Guest boytoyville
The way the Icon presales have been handled and her joining forces with a ticket reseller shows total disregard to her

loyal fanbase. She deserves a worldwide FLOP to bring her back down to earth. Frankly right now after 25 years of adoring

Madonna she is PISSING ME OFF. I wont be buying HC. I have the leaks. I refuse to line her pockets anymore.

Oh for stupid..

Oh well I bough 1 more special edition to keep wrapped and a copy of the reg edition for my sister. So I guess I made up for you not buying it. :lol:

Twenty-five years into her career, and the woman has another #1 album! No doubt will be certified platinum, giving her another million to her RIAA total. And to think, this album outsold the first-week totals of Erotica and Bedtime Stories in an era when CD sales suck. And the third-highest debut of the year at 49 years old! Not to mention adding another (yawn) Top 5 single to her collection. Wow: will she ever stop? :thumbsup:

This is only week 2. Anything can happen!

I'm hoping Madge lands a spot on So You Think You Can Dance, or maybe even allow GITM to be used for a dance routine.

When you've got as much money in the bank as Madonna, would you honestly give a shit if your CD isn't selling more than 100,000 copies in a week? Some of you people need to take a chill pill, relax! It's a tribute to Madonna's longevity in such a competitive industry that she can still score #1 singles and albums after 25 years.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I find it odd that some of you are now saying HC had "huge" opening week numbers, when you are the same people who were predicting 400-500k for HC while claiming Mariah's opening in the high 400s was a "disappointment." This rapid revisionist history doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Do you actually keep track of what everybody says :manson:

Wow - the Hard Candy numbers are PATHETIC. I understand that Madge has much more important things on her mind (i.e. adoption), but instead of crap promotion like vanity Fair cover, Elle cover, and fucking Fuse(!!!) - she could have done something more substantial. In the time that it took her to do those magazine photoshoots and visit Fuse, she could have instead done a MTV special, Ellen & Letterman. Also, the mini-concerts, while cool for fans, didn't really advertise the album to the general public. Madonna needs to hire Mimi's publicist, who booked/organized:

Oprah

Ellen

Today Show

Mini Concert in NY

Empire State Building in Mariah's colors

BET concert special

American Idol

Idol Gives Back

as well as the magazine covers she did.

I dislike Mimi's music, but the bitch can work for her food!

Getting back to Madonna - on the plus side, I am impressed with the video she made for 4M - and I was very glad that Madge called a bunch of radio stations to help her airplay.

Sooooo are the "die hards" in this forum already working on excuses for week 3?????

some advice,,,Madonna is NOT ABOVE PROMOTION

Madonna is getting negative press over her DISGUSTING stubhub deal

Madonna is royally !UCKING her fans on presales

Madonnas promotion tour is all about her NOT her fans

AND most importantly Madonna is showing just how much she is a CLASS ACT!!! :thumbsdown:

Guest harbors

You know what, I DO really hope that her tour will FLOP hard this time so that she can learn a new lesson. delete my post if you want but im speaking my mind.

Guest jamesshot

I am crossing my fingers she cancels the StuHub deal. It just REEKS. I am very disappointed in her for it. Its such a bad move, shockingly bad for her.

A 71% drop in sales? :dramatic:.

This is not good. HC is a great album, but M need to get her ass out there and promote it more. Warner also needs to release the right singles. It needs to go like this:

1)4 Minutes

2)Give It 2 Me

3)Miles Away

4)The Beat Goes On

5)Devil

Some of you people are hysterical. :crazy:

The album will do hold it's own, and do respectable numbers in an extremely weakened record market. As far as the tour goes, it will be huge with or without some of you loons polluting the audience.

Guest harbors
Some of you people are hysterical. :crazy:

The album will do hold it's own, and do respectable numbers in an extremely weakened record market. As far as the tour goes, it will be huge with or without some of you loons polluting the audience.

TWO WORDS FOR YOU: GET REAL.

for the sake of teaching her a lesson in laziness, for once i want her tour to flop as well...

oh and i am throwing away my apologist award... :dramatic:

Guest nothingfails0603
The album is doing fine, stop using Mariah Carey's album sales as a blueprint for Madonna's. MARIAH HAS ALWAYS OUTSOLD MADONNA....ALWAYS!

actually, outside of the 1990-1995 period and the past few years, Mariah has never been that much bigger than Madonna. Ray Of Light outsold Butterfly, Music and Rainbow sold about the same, American Life sold more than Glitter but less than Charmbracelet. Celine may have always outsold Madonna, but Mariah hasn't

TWO WORDS FOR YOU: GET REAL.

Madonna will have a HUGE tour this year, and only an idiot would think otherwise. The album will do just fine in the long run :thumbsup:

It's been out a little over 2 weeks, and already people are jumping out of windows because it's not performing to their unrealistic/loony standards. NO ONE is selling tons of records these days (not even Mariah)!!

The insane obsession with Madonnas' record sales on this board is a little scary these days. The woman has topped the charts in at least 30 countries, and 4 minutes is huge all over the world, yet people still complain as if they were getting a fucking cut of each sale themselves. Hard Candy is a great record, and people should enjoy it for that reason alone, but sadly it seems many of her "fans" seem to only enjoy her work if it's outselling everything else in the market. Again INSANITY.

How can a fan hope for her flopping? She can be a bitch, but I hope she ll be sucsessful.

she's been so successful long enough... she needs to flop already... :dramatic::chuckle:

Guest kramm
Sooooo are the "die hards" in this forum already working on excuses for week 3?????

seriously. lets call it as it is: a good number of music consumers do not like this album.

mind you, that has no bearing on anyone's personal taste, but the speculation and theories are beat to a pulp.

the numbers are real.