US Chart Talk: 5/24/08

thebigham

HITS:

YOUR WEAKEND TOP 10 CHART PREVIEW: Good news, kiddies—there will be five debuts in next week’s Top 10, and one of them will actually break 100k! That would be Neil Diamond, whose second Rick Rubin-produced Columbia album is headed toward the top of the chart, with a projected 130-135k, perked up by Mother's Day action. Behind the old-timer will be RCA/RMG’s debuting Clay Aiken, who should come tantalizingly close to six figures, with 90-95k.

Madonna’s Hard Candy (WB) appears to be melting toward 85-90k in its second week, probably good enough for #3 in this age of diminished expectations, though she probably can’t wait to get her act to Live Nation.

Another diva, Mariah Carey (Island/IDJ), will likely be next with 80-85k, while the sophomore album of J/RMG’s Gavin DeGraw is headed for a bow in the neighborhood of 70-75k, which would probably get him to #5. The rest of the Top 10 should go something like this: Toby Keith (Show Dog/Mercury Nashville), 70-75k: Leona Lewis (Syco/J/RMG), 65-70k; Josh Groban live CD/DVD (143/WB), 50-55k; and Luis Miguel (Warner Music Latina), 30-35k; with #10 up for grabs among Capitol Nashville's Dierks Bentley and Reprise’s Michael Buble Wal-Mart exclusive EP, both trending toward 28-32k, and Taylor Swift (Big Machine/Universal Republic) kissing close at 28-30k. You are now free to get back to going through your Facebook notifications. (5/9p

ONE year ago:

CHART DATE: 05/14/2007

2 1 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 143,185 -31%

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

-- 2 BONE THUGS-N-HARMONY INTERSCOPE 116,334 --

STRENGTH & LOYALTY

-- 3 BOBBY VALENTINO DTP/DEF JAM/IDJ 90,752 --

SPECIAL OCCASION

1 4 NE-YO DEF JAM/IDJMG 84,183 -66%

BECAUSE OF YOU

3 5 AVRIL LAVIGNE ARISTA/RMG 71,219 -16%

BEST DAMN THING

6 6 DAUGHTRY RCA/RMG 67,370 +34%

DAUGHTRY

-- 7 BARBRA STREISAND COLUMBIA 59,813 --

LIVE IN CONCERT 2006

10 8 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ARISTA/RMG 57,358 +32%

SOME HEARTS

18 9 MARTINA MCBRIDE SBMG NASHVILLE 41,024 +51%

WAKING UP LAUGHING

9 10 NOW 24 EMI 40,329 -12%

Reminder from last week:

BadRobot:

Look, this is not about censoring people's opinions, but some of you don't seem to understand that there are a lot of other people reading these threads and trying to get information who aren't necessarily replying to them.

Feel free to post if you have something substantive to say, but if all you have to add is "FLOP!" or something way off-topic or some frowny face with no context, you're just creating board "pollution."

People complain constantly to thebigham and I about the state of the Charts forum, how it's out of control, how all these threads are about 99% people freaking out and overreacting and bashing some other artist or going way off the topic, and it seems like only about 1% are actually people making relevant comments or analysis, or providing legitimate facts.

The handful of you who like to chime in constantly with the random negative comments may enjoy wading through all of them but the majority of people reading this forum do not. Many people have simply stopped visiting this forum altogether they find it so frustrating to get actual information or to read any sort of meaningful discussion.

Do you have a reasoned opinion or analysis or question or some other positive contribution? Then please do post!

Do you just want to chime in with a "FLOP!" or bash another artist or just post to get your post count up? Then keep it to yourself, it's not relevant.

Also, do a little studying to understand what "abuse of power" means. This is not a democracy, we have admins who have been specifically asked to keep things organized, to prevent fights, to make sure comments are on topic, and to make it easier for *everyone* to read the forum and participate.

The vast majority of people who participate here keep are positive members, but please respect the admins, and if you have an issue with them, bring it up privately or take it to the forum news/suggestions board.

This is the end of the discussion on this, thebigham and I are just going to delete posts that aren't on topic or substantive.

CHART DATE: 05/12/2008

LAST UPDATE: 05/12/2008 07:38:21

NOW IN: 28.66%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 33,390

35 BIGGEST HITS

-- 2 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 28,585

HOME BEFORE DARK

2 3 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 28,199

E=MC2

3 4 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 24,516

SPIRIT

-- 5 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 19,659

ON MY WAY HERE

1 6 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 19,584

HARD CANDY

-- 7 DIERKS BENTLEY CAPITOL NASHVILLE 18,095

GREATEST HITS 2003-2006

18 8 GEORGE STRAIT MCA NASHVILLE 14,451

TROUBADOUR

-- 9 GAVIN DEGRAW J RECORDS/RMG 13,995

GAVIN DEGRAW

21 10 JAMES OTTO WARNER BROS. NASHVILLE 11,884

SUNSET MAN

CHART DATE: 05/12/2008

LAST UPDATE: 05/12/2008 08:48:30

NOW IN: 31.22%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 35,667

HOME BEFORE DARK

-- 2 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 33,642

35 BIGGEST HITS

2 3 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 28,882

E=MC2

3 4 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 26,197

SPIRIT

1 5 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 21,740

HARD CANDY

-- 6 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 20,269

ON MY WAY HERE

-- 7 DIERKS BENTLEY CAPITOL NASHVILLE 18,095

GREATEST HITS 2003-2006

18 8 GEORGE STRAIT MCA NASHVILLE 14,451

TROUBADOUR

-- 9 GAVIN DEGRAW J RECORDS/RMG 13,995

GAVIN DEGRAW

-- 10 JOSH GROBIN REPRISE 12,746

AWAKE LIVE

if this trend continues it will finish at 70K, sorry but that means 75% decrease and a big flat "flop". hopefully latest updates will adjust it to 100K (which is not that good either.) last week last updates were better for her. :confused: we really shouldnt care about usa anymore. the doors are closed whatever she makes. she should forget about usa and release "give it to me" and then "miles away", and make whatever music she wants to make for the following albums..

Edited by encore

Guest iMisto
we really shouldnt care about usa anymore. the doors are closed whatever she makes.

Maybe if she got off her lazy ass and whored her shit out, like Whoriah Scarey... she just might do better. I'm bitter, and will continue to be bitter for her lack of attention.

And w/ her ticket prices so fucking high, I prob. wont make it to this her Sticky and Stupid tour. I mean, how the fuck is a student suppose to attend one of her shows??

Maybe she DOESN'T want new fans. At least not young ones. Only older people can afford those ticket prices, plus... with ZERO promo from her, what is there to interest the youth demographic. The only reason I even got into her was because my 34yr old bf. :nocomment:

Guest kramm

this chart is close to what i expected. i figured MC would either be above or near the same number.

And w/ her ticket prices so fucking high, I prob. wont make it to this her Sticky and Stupid tour. I mean, how the fuck is a student suppose to attend one of her shows??

whats wrong with the $55 seats? isnt it better than nothing?

Maybe she DOESN'T want new fans. At least not young ones. Only older people can afford those ticket prices, plus... with ZERO promo from her, what is there to interest the youth demographic. The only reason I even got into her was because my 34yr old bf. :nocomment:

Oh good, so you like older men. I'm 31.

Sometimes I wonder what kind of concept Madonna has of her fans. She is the most famous woman in the world, but surely she realizes she has a group of core fans who have stuck by her through thick and thin. I honestly believe she knows this and cares about us, but she just figures we are going about our lives and don't get wrapped up in the charts like Mariah's lambs. If only she would read this thread :lmao:

Then again, I remember the "Q" interview back in 1998 when the interviewer asked "Who are the Madonna fans these days," and her response was "I haven't a clue." LOL: I always wondered about that one.

Why americans hate Madonna and don't buy her albums? I don't understand.

Europeans love her...and this is weird because she is an american woman.

Guest Hafo

People: There are COUNTLESS threads to discuss about boyfriends, nationalities, tour tickets and such.

Please, keep this thread as US Chart Talk 5/24/08 only!!!!!! Understand, this is the CHART forum.

well... wasn't it why she made this album in the first place? to get new fans? From what I read at the Britney forums with a much younger crowd, they seem to like the album but they're not buying it obviously.

Guest danielal

Woe Britney surely have so many fans these day...They must be the reason why Hard Candy is doing so not so well...

The situation in US was expected...the fact that Payollah Crazey seems (and I know exactly why I say SEEMS) to have been also to be more successful there just shows you how stupid the majority of Americans are..yeah fuk them all

The surpise is I think in UK where she also doesn;t seem to fair very well ok...time to go home and fuk ourselves with the middle fingers

fuk them all if they don't like blow me

At leat here in Romania a devoted fan has bought his copy and admire TH Queen and her music

AND ONCE AND FOR ALL MADONNA DOESN'T NEED ANY PROMOTION

SHE IS TOO OLD AND SUCCESSFUL OVERALL FOR THIS CRAP

EVEN IF THIS ALBUM WILL NOT DO VERY WELL CELINE DION AND PAYOLLAH CRAZEY WILL NEVER REACH HER IN TERMS OF WW ALBUMS SALES NOT TO MENTION SINGLES SALES WHERE THERE'S REALLY NO COMPETITION

Building Albums Sales Chart

LAST UPDATE: 05/12/2008 13:32:29 PDT

NOW IN: 48.42%

LW TW artist album label power index

--- 01 NEIL DIAMOND HOME BEFORE DARK COLUMBIA 61,852

--- 02 TOBY KEITH 35 BIGGEST HITS SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 53,870

03 03 LEONA LEWIS SPIRIT J RECORDS/RMG 42,051

01 04 MADONNA HARD CANDY WARNER BROS. 41,887

--- 05 CLAY AIKEN ON MY WAY HERE RCA/RMG 37,886

02 06 MARIAH CAREY E=MC2 ISLAND/IDJMG 28,882

--- 07 GAVIN DEGRAW GAVIN DEGRAW J RECORDS/RMG 27,301

--- 08 JOSH GROBAN AWAKE LIVE REPRISE 26,254

--- 09 DIERKS BENTLEY GREATEST HITS 2003-2006 CAPITOL NASHVILLE 23,681

18 10 GEORGE STRAIT TROUBADOUR MCA NASHVILLE 19,609

Oh good, so you like older men. I'm 31.

Really!? I would have thought you were no older than 25 or 26. Seriously.

And people need to take a breath. Sure these sales arent AMAZING, but record sales SUCK SUCK SUCK these days all across the board! Most artists have to have a huge string of huge radio hits to get their album to squeek passed the 1 million mark now. The market is in the crapper.

Really!? I would have thought you were no older than 25 or 26. Seriously.

And people need to take a breath. Sure these sales arent AMAZING, but record sales SUCK SUCK SUCK these days all across the board! Most artists have to have a huge string of huge radio hits to get their album to squeek passed the 1 million mark now. The market is in the crapper.

Oh, thank you :)

And seriously, Madonna's album sales are great. Very few open with those numbers anymore. The press likes to play down her achievement by comparing her opening to Mariah's (stupid), but look how they celebrate that fuddy duddy Neil Diamond by heaping praise upon his 100,000 opening.

NOW IN: 64.66%

-- 1 NEIL DIAMOND COLUMBIA 81,791

HOME BEFORE DARK

-- 2 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 78,660

35 BIGGEST HITS

3 3 LEONA LEWIS J RECORDS/RMG 53,244

SPIRIT

1 4 MADONNA WARNER BROS. 51,279

HARD CANDY

-- 5 CLAY AIKEN RCA/RMG 49,792

ON MY WAY HERE

2 6 MARIAH CAREY ISLAND/IDJMG 39,765

E=MC2

-- 7 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 35,223

AWAKE LIVE

-- 8 GAVIN DEGRAW J RECORDS/RMG 30,998

GAVIN DEGRAW

-- 9 DIERKS BENTLEY CAPITOL NASHVILLE 30,916

GREATEST HITS 2003-2006

8 10 NOW 27 SBMG/COMMERICAL MUSIC GRP 23,444

VARIOUS ARTISTS

Guest HydroTrippin

It looks like records sales (in general) for this past week were lower that the previous.

Perhaps the weekend holiday had some impact ?

I HOPE ITS AT LEAST 90,000

SORRY THESE NUMBERS R PATHETIC

AND WHERE THE FUCK IS GIVE IT TO ME

TIME TO RELEASE THIS TO RADIO

BYTCH BOUT DUMBER THAN A BYTCH

Release it only if she's gonna do some promo in US, otherwise it will bomb.

So GI2M will bomb. She only cares about the tour and that Malawi documentary.

yep. for sure. Pity, as GI2Me is one mega huge smash worthy hit ! :( Will still likely happen worldwide, but the DELAY is whats fkin everything up. NOW is the time to get that song out to radios etc..But I sadly agree with your post 1000%

It's a pity its not selling well in the US, but in the other hand...most albums arent. Maybe we though Madonna, as a major superstar, wasnt going to be affected, but no, her sales are ridiculous for such a great album and successful 1st single. I do think HC will end up selling slighly better AL numbers, and that's it. Let's just hope the rest of the world embrace this album and make a worldwide hit. Madonna, dont waste your time in the US.