Madonna Reinvents Herself As a Ticket-Scalping Profiteer

Camacho

Guest dicktracy

Stubhub is a SECOND market. All tickets will be sold first at Ticketmaster (in the US). So, if you are a fan and is subscribed to ICON, you will two chances to get tickets before they get to Stubhub. You have the pre-sale and the regular sale. Scalpers make money from doing nothing, they don't put on a show, they just mark up prices. So Madonna is trying to get her share of their profits because she indeed will spend millions of dollars to get the tour on the road. Does it suck for the fans? Yeah, if you're unlucky to not get tickets on the pre-sale or regular sale. But is it her fault? No, it would have happened anyway. At least she is smart enough to find a way to get her share of profits. It's a free market. So if anyone wants to blame anyone, you should first blame the scalpers and then the people that are willing to pay thousands of dollars for a ticket. It's a simple case of offer and demand. If people couldn't afford it, prices would fall. So, let's blame her rich fans that don't buy tickets the day it comes out.

Guest dicktracy
But that's just it. It doesn't really affect the fans. It's for people who are willing to pay these sums of money instead of dealing with Ticketmaster. Again there's a very limited market for this as far as Madonna tickets are concerned. We already know that people selling on ebay and even ticketbrokers themselves lost money when fans refused to pay above box office prices during Reinvention and Confessions. If Madonna and Live Nation wanted to just bleed her fans, they would have just simply raised ticket prices. Then all her fans would have to pay more. But they themselves know that there is a limit to what even her most ardent fans are willing to pay. The secondary market for Madonna tickets is very small and mostly involves very rich individuals and corporations. The whole point is these people would rather pay more than go through the hassle of buying from Ticketmaster. And I would rather Madonna profit from these rich individuals and corporations than some unknown ticketbroker. As far as Stubhub is concerned, they themselves are not the sellers of the tickets. They are only the middleman between the seller and the buyer and they get a commission from every sale and this commission will be shared by Stubhub, Madonna & Live Nation. Now who are the sellers? They could be ticketbrokers, individuals who bought extra tickets hoping to make a profit, individuals who are unable to go to the show and want to resell their tickets, or anyone for whatever reason has extra tickets to sell.

Amen, sister.

Its slimey and just shows Madonna is hand in hand with scalpers. Regardless of how it affects fans. Shes encouraging people to scalp her tickets, sell her tickets at higher prices ..end of story.

Obviously everyone selling a ticket is a scalper since they have not gone on sale not regular people or fans. StubHub can do whatever they want, their a scalping agency , that alone is underhanded. I dont believe anything they say.

All those essays were quite bizarre. AntiVirgin truly hates Madonna doesn't he? Carta is a major lunatic, lori is kinda the same.

All those essays were quite bizarre. AntiVirgin truly hates Madonna doesn't he? Carta is a major lunatic, lori is kinda the same.

What is it with the insults around here? Thank you for taking the time to read my posts and psychoanalyse me. I'm really quite sane, though :electropop:

What really confuses me is why Madonna would want to do this in the first place. Yeah, I get the semantics of the whole thing, but it still seems like such a cash-cow move. I think it's been made pretty clear that it's not going to really affect us as fans. Fine. I don't think that's what's bothering all the people in this thread anymore. It's still irritating that Madonna would so brazenly be like "oh, my tickets are being marked up over here...that's not right, give me a piece of that." It's just extra money for her and considering that some of us in here could be paying upwards of $400 just to see this woman without squinting, we can't help but feel like it's our money that she loves, not our dedication.

What really confuses me is why Madonna would want to do this in the first place. Yeah, I get the semantics of the whole thing, but it still seems like such a cash-cow move. I think it's been made pretty clear that it's not going to really affect us as fans. Fine. I don't think that's what's bothering all the people in this thread anymore. It's still irritating that Madonna would so brazenly be like "oh, my tickets are being marked up over here...that's not right, give me a piece of that." It's just extra money for her and considering that some of us in here could be paying upwards of $400 just to see this woman without squinting, we can't help but feel like it's our money that she loves, not our dedication.

never has it been more obvious :(

Guest boytoyville

She had a RIGHT to make money off of her name. If it was me I wouls be pissed to if people were exploiting my brand or creation & not paying their due! It's no different than stealing a sample from a piece of music & then not paying the artist,and then saying as a fan well she already made that piece of music so she doesn't have the right to profit off it anymore. WTF. That is how I see. Anything that comes from her name needs to pay it's dues. Not to mentin the fact that some of this EXTRA money is going to go to CHARTITY since she is a generous donor. So really it is a move that benifits her & others in a respectful manner. Thats the point given that this isn't reallly going to effect most of the "fans" getting tickets.(THANK GOD THAT WAS FINALLY CLEARDED UP BY SANE PEOPLE HERE!)

She had a RIGHT to make money off of her name. If it was me I wouls be pissed to if people were exploiting my brand or creation & not paying their due! It's no different than stealing a sample from a piece of music & then not paying the artist,and then saying as a fan well she already made that piece of music so she doesn't have the right to profit off it anymore. WTF. That is how I see. Anything that comes from her name needs to pay it's dues. Not to mentin the fact that some of this EXTRA money is going to go to CHARTITY since she is a generous donor. So really it is a move that benifits her & others in a respectful manner. Thats the point given that this isn't reallly going to effect most of the "fans" getting tickets.(THANK GOD THAT WAS FINALLY CLEARDED UP BY SANE PEOPLE HERE!)

Thats not the point!

Guest boytoyville
Thats not the point!

Thats where we differ. I think it is the point. (Enitiled to her own name,more money for chartity,& not affecting fans availability to get tickets) Seems like it covers all the major bases to me but whatever...to each his own.

Either you really don't understand hte point or you just react before you read. Probably both. I made it pretty clear that we all understand that this isn't going to affect us as ticket buyers. What it does reinforce however, is that Madonna would rather align herself with awkward business tactics like this rather than taking the high road and simply becoming more in control of how her show is sold and distributed. She chose not to do that. Instead it becomes an opportunity to simply rake in more money. It's not like she'd be taking huge losses if this was all business as usual. But because she's chosen this route, she'll be making more money than ever and it just looks greedy and tacky. I think it's cheap and dumb of her and I'm not gonna sit here and say that I support it because I don't. End of story.

Guest boytoyville

^ I got it the first time as I explained before. It however it took Lori to come in here and explain to people that it wouldn't be affecting fan tix. I knew you understood that personally 4 pages ago. That wasn't the entire point of my post. I just think it's funny that people ar made that Madonna is going to make "more money" but in turn probably donate a lot of the extra profit to "charity". If it wasn't for her getting involved in this aspect of the buisess would any of the money go to anything "positive" We all know she is involved with many great caues. Don't you think she will be investing some of this extra cash in that? Give her the benifit of the doubt for christs sake! I think it is posters like you that are missing the "REAL POINT" We can agree to disagree but don't say I don't undertand your posts. I have a college eduaction & I know how to read thanks! :)

Guest marc

Initially, I was disgusted with this news. But then as I thought about it, she's always been ahead of her time. She's the first artist I remember charging outrageous prices for tickets, but everybody else has followed suit. She starts the trends unpopularly, and everybody else goes along with it.

It's a lot of money for me but I also like that she doesn't kiss up to her fans like MOOriah. Remember that the tour is going to be very expensive for her as well: travelling, stages, catering etc...

Madonna probably appreciates both our money and our adoration. Even in a job that you love and where you receive respect and admiration, the financial rewards are important, aren't they? We all need to earn a living and pay our bills. Granted, Madonna's bills are of a size that none of us will ever have to worry about and her earnings are huge, but why should that stop her from trying to get what she's due? I understand people's moral opposition to her actions, but it's not as though she's breaking the law or ripping anyone off, is it?

There were calls for a boycott of her tour about 12 pages ago - has anyone in here actually decided that they will *not* be going to any of the concerts on this tour because of her deal with Stubhub?

Initially, I was disgusted with this news. But then as I thought about it, she's always been ahead of her time. She's the first artist I remember charging outrageous prices for tickets, but everybody else has followed suit. She starts the trends unpopularly, and everybody else goes along with it.

It's a lot of money for me but I also like that she doesn't kiss up to her fans like MOOriah. Remember that the tour is going to be very expensive for her as well: travelling, stages, catering etc...

So, charging 2,000 dollars per ticket it's Madonna's way to revolution the world. Very good to know.

I think there's probably a lot of pressure on Live Nation and Madonna to make this $120 million deal work and restore the confidence of shareholders. Many have speculated that LN may have spent too much money on an artist past her commercial peak. In fact, didn't the price of their stocks fall significantly after she signed the deal? Anyway, I'm most curious to see if U2 will be doing the same thing as Madonna on their next tour.

She has 10 years to make the deal profitable, I don't think pressure is the reason for this robbery, honestly.

So, charging 2,000 dollars per ticket it's Madonna's way to revolution the world. Very good to know.

Madonna's not charging $2000 per ticket, though. The scalpers are. If the scalpers choose to sell their tickets through Stubhub and someone is willing to pay that much for them, Madonna will get a proportion of that money (whereas before, it would have gone to someone else), but to suggest that she herself is charging $2000 is just plain wrong.

True, but I think LiveNation probably needs something in the short term to calm the nerves of their shareholders. They can't really wait 10 years as their stocks keep falling. Whatever, I'm not a financial analyst. I'm just guessing. And to be clear, I'm not loving this move either.

Madonna's not charging $2000 per ticket, though. The scalpers are. If the scalpers choose to sell their tickets through Stubhub and someone is willing to pay that much for them, Madonna will get a proportion of that money (whereas before, it would have gone to someone else), but to suggest that she herself is charging $2000 is just plain wrong.

I'm sure she has her say in this kind of situations.

I think a big concern for me is when Live Nation finally severs its ties with ticketmaster. God only knows what strategy they're going to use to sell tickets.

I think a big concern for me is when Live Nation finally severs its ties with ticketmaster. God only knows what strategy they're going to use to sell tickets.

do they have plans on doing so?