Madonna Reinvents Herself As a Ticket-Scalping Profiteer

Camacho

Guest bedtimestorynyc
Roseland sold for more than $1,000 a ticket on some scalper sites

it didn't.

that's why they wrapped wristbands around wrists, once it's broken, it's void. but i guess if your point is that people were WILLING to buy void tickets for $1,500, then yes i agree with you they DID pay that (one of the security guards in the line showed to fans a cut bracelet that he just took from some fan, saying somebody bought it for $1,000)

Guest boytoyville

^Which should remind some complainers here that she just did a free concert in New York & Paris not to mention doing another one in London. If you are such a "devoted" fan. Than don't be LAZY & what in line to get into a promo show for free!!! You are paying to see the greatest performer in the world. If you don't want to pay the price than DON'T! NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY TICKETS FROM THIS SITE! It is an option for those who choose. If you are a fan & want to insure you get a good ticket @ reg price get an ICON membership or d don't claim to be a huge fan & complain about her not catering to her "fans" when you aren't even making an EFFORT to get them at reg price! It's not like you couldn't get one if you wanted to. GEEZ PEOPLE! It's very clear she is going on more tour because of her live nation deal. If you can't see her this time SAVE UP FOR THE NEXT ONE!

Guest boytoyville
Bullshit. All you're saying is that we can get our tickets elsewhere. Of course we can. I knew people were gonna spin this into something like "well she should be making the money off of them anyway!" No. Basically she's saying that if people are gonna make profits out of selling her tickets at a higher price to desperate fans, then she's game for joining forces with them. Stupid and crazy.

It's not bullshit, it's a true story. :fag:

If you go to stubhub and look at the shows that she starts in the early part of her tour its obvious that she or her people have given stubhub or the scalpers a large portion of the best seats, its as simple as that. How else would they get their hands on the best seats in the house before even pre-sale?

Well there has always been scalper sites. Always will be, but I want to know is, if Madonna made this deal with stubhub but is just letting things go on as business as usual, or like people have said, is she personally giving them tickets on her own, cause that would be a different story. I could careless if she went to them and said, hey, you are going to scalp my tickets anyway no matter what, I just want a peice of the pie on the ones you manage to get and sell, or if she is personally handing them tickets without them having to go through the proper channels like ticketmaster to get them and letting them jack up the price.

Guest boytoyville
u must got some of that SSI disability check back payment

so u can afford it

It's called a job. You should try getting paid for your sexual favors. I'm sure you could fullfill a niche market of

sexual appetite. Maybe then you could afford to go to the concert.

It's not bullshit, it's a true story. :fag:
If people don't wanna pay thousands of dollars for Madonna they won't. Personally I just have a problem with her intentionally going to a business like stubhub, giving them a handful of great seats before even her FANCLUB PRESALE starts, and running some of them at over 1,000 a pop. Ridiculous. She's turning into a megalomaniac and she's ripping off her fans majorly. And I don't think it's gonna work. And don't give me this business bullshit. Anyone with a brain could come up with an idea like this, making money off the guys who rip off your fans. It's not savvy. It's slimeball.

If you go to stubhub and look at the shows that she starts in the early part of her tour its obvious that she or her people have given stubhub or the scalpers a large portion of the best seats, its as simple as that. How else would they get their hands on the best seats in the house before even pre-sale?

YUCK.

Guest boytoyville

I love how people think that the only option for them is to pay these prices when ticketmaster & other outlets haven't even but them on sale yet. :lol:

I love how people think that the only option for them is to pay these prices when ticketmaster & other outlets haven't even but them on sale yet. :lol:

Talk about totally missing the point. Anyone who is SMART on this forum won't be paying any of those outrageous prices. She's going out of her way to make even more gobs of money than she already would if she toured like normal, and she's joining forces with the assholes who keep people like us from getting hte seats we want when they go onsale. And she's making money off of all their undeserved profit too. Re-read the thread if you don't understand why people are pissed with this woman.

^Which should remind some complainers here that she just did a free concert in New York & Paris not to mention doing another one in London. If you are such a "devoted" fan. Than don't be LAZY & what in line to get into a promo show for free!!! You are paying to see the greatest performer in the world. If you don't want to pay the price than DON'T! NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY TICKETS FROM THIS SITE! It is an option for those who choose. If you are a fan & want to insure you get a good ticket @ reg price get an ICON membership or d don't claim to be a huge fan & complain about her not catering to her "fans" when you aren't even making an EFFORT to get them at reg price! It's not like you couldn't get one if you wanted to. GEEZ PEOPLE! It's very clear she is going on more tour because of her live nation deal. If you can't see her this time SAVE UP FOR THE NEXT ONE!

You seriously can't justify this by bringing up the fact she did 2 free 30min shows for what 1000 people? And how can you make a statement claiming that fans aren't even going to the "EFFORT" of getting good tickets? There is so much wrong with that statement I don't know where to begin.

it didn't.

that's why they wrapped wristbands around wrists, once it's broken, it's void. but i guess if your point is that people were WILLING to buy void tickets for $1,500, then yes i agree with you they DID pay that (one of the security guards in the line showed to fans a cut bracelet that he just took from some fan, saying somebody bought it for $1,000)

Wow unbelieveable!

Guest Topaz Scorpio

People are AWARE that these scalped tickets are not the ONLY option. People are objecting to M's support and profiteering from what have always been considered to be unscrupulous business practices.

Guest bedtimestorynyc
People are AWARE that these scalped tickets are not the ONLY option.

i have to agree here

Everything is the same as it was last time for the CT. Tickets go on sale, as per usual, the re-sale outlets buy tickets just like everyone else does, as per usual, then regular fans who couldn't get great tickets through Ticketmaster look at stubub.com and decide if they're prepared to pay extra for good seats, as per usual. The difference this time is that instead of the re-sellers making a heap of money on the tickets, Madonna gets some of that money. There's no special deal for stubhub to get all the great tickets so that fans are forced to use them - nothing has changed as far as buying tickets for concerts is concerned (everyone still has to try their luck through Ticketmaster or in the pre-sales). What *has* changed, though, is that Madonna earns some of the money that she would have lost normally through sales at such sites.

As someone who has actually used stubhub in the past, I'm actually glad that some of the extra money I'm prepared to pay for a great ticket will go back to Madonna. Fans are going to use those sites anyway, so why shouldn't Madonna and other artists see some of the profit? If someone has a rare Madonna record up for sale for a huge amount of money, if someone's prepared to pay that amount, would it be wrong for Madonna to see some of that profit? It's all about supply and demand.

I'd be upset if all of the best tickets were allocated to stubhub, but that's not the way the deal's going to work. The industry would collapse in a heap it it were.

Everything is the same as it was last time for the CT. Tickets go on sale, as per usual, the re-sale outlets buy tickets just like everyone else does, as per usual, then regular fans who couldn't get great tickets through Ticketmaster look at stubub.com and decide if they're prepared to pay extra for good seats, as per usual. The difference this time is that instead of the re-sellers making a heap of money on the tickets, Madonna gets some of that money. There's no special deal for stubhub to get all the great tickets so that fans are forced to use them - nothing has changed as far as buying tickets for concerts is concerned (everyone still has to try their luck through Ticketmaster or in the pre-sales). What *has* changed, though, is that Madonna earns some of the money that she would have lost normally through sales at such sites.

As someone who has actually used stubhub in the past, I'm actually glad that some of the extra money I'm prepared to pay for a great ticket will go back to Madonna. Fans are going to use those sites anyway, so why shouldn't Madonna and other artists see some of the profit? If someone has a rare Madonna record up for sale for a huge amount of money, if someone's prepared to pay that amount, would it be wrong for Madonna to see some of that profit? It's all about supply and demand.

I'd be upset if all of the best tickets were allocated to stubhub, but that's not the way the deal's going to work. The industry would collapse in a heap it it were.

Honestly you summed up exactly how I feel about all this right now if thats how its going down.

I TOTALLY DISAGREE with you, the best seats have been clearly reserved for stubhub, Tickets have not even gone on sale yet, StubHub has the floor and lodge seats at New York, they have 1,000 of the best seats for sale with the average price for lodge $2, 000 a ticket- $7, 500 for the New York Shows.

Also people who score a good seat on pre-sale will be tempted to re-sell for $4,000 and up.

Have a look

http://www.stubhub.com/madonna-tickets/mad...-7-2008-636250/

http://www.stubhub.com/madonna-tickets/mad...-6-2008-636249/

Guest boytoyville

Well Said! :thumbsup:

So it's official then? THe bitch is supporting this repulsive business move? :rolleyes:

I hope her show sells like a Kylie concert.

I hope her album flops worse than 20YO.

I hope her deal with LiveNation tanks worse than the Mariah/Virgin merger in 2001.

UGH I'M PISSED.

So it's official then? THe bitch is supporting this repulsive business move? :rolleyes:

I hope her show sells like a Kylie concert.

I hope her album flops worse than 20YO.

I hope her deal with LiveNation tanks worse than the Mariah/Virgin merger in 2001.

UGH I'M PISSED.

Ditto.

And you know she will say something like this: "The more money I make, the more GOOD I can do in the world."

Whatever, greedy whore!

I DISAGREE with you, the best seats have been clearly reserved for stubhub, Tickets have not even gone on sale yet, StubHub has the floor and lodge seats at New York, they have 1,000 of the best seats for sale with the average price for lodge $2, 000 a ticket- $7, 500 for the New York Shows.

Also people who score a good seat on pre-sale will be tempted to re-sell for $4,000 and up.

Have a look

http://www.stubhub.com/madonna-tickets/mad...-7-2008-636250/

http://www.stubhub.com/madonna-tickets/mad...-6-2008-636249/

So basically, this whole deal is a clever way to get her ticket prices up to 10/20x their market value so she can make more money from them, and yet not be the direct blame.

Transparent.

Guest boytoyville
Talk about totally missing the point. Anyone who is SMART on this forum won't be paying any of those outrageous prices. She's going out of her way to make even more gobs of money than she already would if she toured like normal, and she's joining forces with the assholes who keep people like us from getting hte seats we want when they go onsale. And she's making money off of all their undeserved profit too. Re-read the thread if you don't understand why people are pissed with this woman.

I clearly understand. It's not rocket science. Point is. I don't care. I disagree that her participation in this buisness practice is someone offensive to the fans because there are plenty of options to get tix at regular price. Yes it might make it a bit more difficult but I don't think it's going to impact ticket availability the way you think it is. That is the difference. Madonna is a product & that products value has continued to rise in the concert buisness. I'm am expecting to see the best & I expect to have to pay a lot of money to experience it. I don't expect to buy a Ford & expect for it to ride like a Lexus. I also don't expect that when a brand of her quality is this high in demand & the supply limited for the product for the price to stay the same. Thats just not how economics works. This combined with the drastic decline in the records industry combined with her new fund partnership with live nation makes this new deal make perfect sense. I think it's fair, I think that its what the market place has determined & I think people should stop complaing about it. That is my opinion. END OF. :)

For those that think this is a smart business move, I think they couldn't be more wrong. It's completely short-term thinking and it's going to drive a huge number of fans away, for good. It's weird that she struggles to stay relevant, but this decision will have the opposite effect. Young fans with lower incomes are not going to shell out several hundreds of dollars for mediocre seats (let alone thousands of dollars for good ones). Instead, you're going to get aging fans with the higher incomes and non-fans who attend only to flex their status and wealth. As a career move, this is a fast-track way to becoming a true oldies act like the Rolling Stones. I have loved Madonna for over 15 years but this is probably the first time I can say I'm truly disappointed in her. I thought it was too good to be true that the most expensive seats were selling for C$165 - I guess it was. I suspect prices were lowered so that StubHub could buy them in bulk for profit. Seriously, dumb dumb bitch.

Take a look at stubhub and explain to me how some of these to die for seats ended up on that website weeks before the presale. That makes no sense. The site evidently has thousands up for sale and those are seats that should have been allocated to Ticketmaster so one of US could have bought it fair and square.

All this economical bullshit aside, the woman was raking in the cash just fine in 2006 when she wasn't doing this monkey business. This Live Nation deal is bringing some new stuff to the table, and apparently a partnership with Stubhub is part of it. I can't imagine that this includes some sort of exclusive ticket deal where she lets some of her tickets get handed off to stubhub before they even officially go onsale, of course allowing htem to be marked up to four times their actual value. Shady stuff. And yeah sure if I get proven wrong with hard facts or some quote from the horses mouth, then good, I don't wanna think of Madonna as a bitch who saps her fans. But it's sure looking like it. And everything you said just sounds sugarcoated and none of what we've read or seen points to something as altruistic as that. God, even if it WAS exactly like you said, Madonna shouldn't need to be making all this money off of some cheap business like this. That analogy you used for rare Madonna collectibles was ridiculous. Sure, she could do it if she wanted. It doesn't make it any less outrageous or money hungry. I still more or less think Madonna is worth the bank-breaking, but if this is how she's going to let her business run, allowing her BEST SEATS to sit on some stupid scalper site so that one of her fans forks over the extra bank (regardless of how much it is), then I'm not gonna sit here and defend her for it.

For those that think this is a smart business move, I think they couldn't be more wrong. It's completely short-term thinking and it's going to drive a huge number of fans away, for good. It's weird that she struggles to stay relevant, but this decision will have the opposite effect. Young fans with lower incomes are not going to shell out several hundreds of dollars for mediocre seats (let alone thousands of dollars for good ones). Instead, you're going to get aging fans with the higher incomes and non-fans who attend only to flex their status and wealth. As a career move, this is a fast-track way to becoming a true oldies act like the Rolling Stones. I have loved Madonna for over 15 years but this is probably the first time I can say I'm truly disappointed in her. I thought it was too good to be true that the most expensive seats were selling for C$165 - I guess it was. I suspect prices were lowered so that StubHub could buy them in bulk for profit. Seriously, dumb dumb bitch.

Thats another way of looking at it also. I always feel bad for the younger fans that Madonna could win over into "hardcore fan" status by getting to see her live but most will never get the chance cause prices are so high.