Madonna ignores her Aussie legions

Camacho

Auckland, New Zealand : November 24-25, 2006 : Ericsson Stadium : GROSS $6,216,819 : ATTENDANCE 84,475 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

Are you sure she did NZ?! 'cos she flew to Japan after her last OZ gig (4/12).

Guest northernlad
I also fear this tour wont have many sellouts

It's possible, but considering how relatively few people she's played to in Europe on the past 3 tours, I doubt it will happen. In the U.K. she's only played to a little over 100,000 people each time. Stadiums let her access the casual market that will lay down 70 euros for a ticket regardless of a view, but won't lay down 150 euros in an arena show even with a very good view.

Guest northernlad
Are you sure she did NZ?! 'cos she flew to Japan after her last OZ gig (4/12).

that was u2

I think Live Nation just skipped you guys this time so they could have an insurance bank for her 2011 tour, in case all the stadiums this time result in sluggish sales the next. As for money, they'd probably do the same thing they did w/ U2, a handful of stadiums doing $5-6m a night. I found their boxscores on a fansite.

Sydney, Australia : November 10-11, 13, 2006 : Telstra Stadium : GROSS $18,538,724 : ATTENDANCE 206,568 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

Melbourne, Australia : November 18-19, 2006 : Telstra Dome : GROSS $11,188,720 : ATTENDANCE 127,275 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

Adelaide, Australia : November 16, 2006 : AAMI Stadium : GROSS $5,058,962 : ATTENDANCE 60,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Brisbane, Australia : November 7, 2006 : QSAC Stadium : GROSS $4,254,140 : ATTENDANCE 50,094 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

Auckland, New Zealand : November 24-25, 2006 : Ericsson Stadium : GROSS $6,216,819 : ATTENDANCE 84,475 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

Thanks for those figures - very interesting! Those figures show that Madonna 'not being able to afford' to bring her tour here is complete rubbish! I don't buy that Madonna's failure to tour Australia is anything to do with money at all. There is A LOT of money to be made from touring Australia; that is clear from the constant tours by high-profile acts who perform here. Acts who've toured Australia over the last 18 months include:

Christina Aguilera, Pink!, Black Eyed Peas, Fergie, The Police, U2, Gwen Stefani, Kylie Minogue, Robbie Williams, Elton John (twice), Michael Buble, Celine Dion, Beyonce, Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper, kd lang, Justin Timberlake, Backstreet Boys, Westlife, Delta Goodrem, Matchbox Twenty, 50 Cent, Daft Punk, Air, Pet Shop Boys, James Blunt, Foo Fighters, Maroon 5, Panic At The Disco, Crowded House, The Killers, Snow Patrol (twice), Kaiser Chiefs (twice), Mika, Lionel Richie, Arctic Monkeys, Rod Stewart, Tori Amos, Bjork, PJ Harvey, Ben Lee, John Mayer, Hillary Duff, Josh Groban, Guns 'N' Roses, Iron Maiden, Rufus Wainwright, Martha Wainwright, Santana, KT Tunstall, Ozzy Osbourne, Sinead O'Connor, Keith Urban, Bob Dylan, Nine Inch Nails, Ben Harper, Silverchair, My Chemical Romance, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Marilyn Manson, Linkin Park, Simple Minds, Simple Plan, Eric Clapton, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Kelly Clarkson, Rogue Traders, Roger Waters, Muse, Bon Jovi, Don McLean, Lou Reed, KISS, Jack Johnson, Joe Cocker, Darren Hayes, Good Charlotte, Brian Wilson, Tool, Lily Allen, Hot Chip, Roisin Murphy, Robyn, Beck, Groove Armada, Pixies, Jarvis Cocker, New York Dolls, Diana Ross, Bonnie Raitt, Boyz II Men, Wolfmother, Divinyls, Calvin Harris, LL Cool J, UB40, Joe Jackson, One Republic and Kanye West.

This is just SOME of the acts who've performed here over the last 18 months. There are probably some I've left out, and if we go back earlier, there are many, many, many more acts who could be added to that list. I can't believe that all these artists can tour Australia in the last 18 months, yet Madonna hasn't been here for 15 YEARS and STILL can't make it!!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Edited by ipex

It's all about the MONEY - the Australian dollar must be weak.

Australian dollar just surpassed American dollar's parity.

I think its a poor decision, she should play different places.....her tour schedules have been basically the same mostly...

An Australian crowd would be awesome, as would a south american crwod, in fact, anywhere that hasnt seen her the last 3 tours would LAP it up....

When she did DWT look at the frenzy, first tour in 8 years etc...now its a bi yearly thing and she needs to diversify the itiniery

I also fear this tour wont have many sellouts

I await some peoples immediate labelling me a flop fan

I think you're right. Does Madonna think she can continue to sell out in places in the same places every two years while increasing ticket prices?? Lets face it, if Madonna was coming to Australia every two years and charging a small fortune to see her we would all be getting sick of it!

It's all about the MONEY - the Australian dollar must be weak.

Not really the Australian dollar is a bit stronger than the US dollar

1.00 USD = 1.06157 AUD

United States Dollars Australia Dollars

1 USD = 1.06157 AUD 1 AUD = 0.942005 USD

The more l see of her recent performances the less l care she is not coming here. She really is getting lazy. Could be called the 'greedy and tacky' tour.

I think its time for a M break for me:)

Guest bluejean

The resentment toward Madonna from her Australian fans seems very high to me this time. It's one two many exclusions.

The resentment toward Madonna from her Australian fans seems very high to me this time. It's one two many exclusions.

I was worse when Madonna didn't tour with Confessions and I was told I was terrible fan for being upset then and told "not to worry, I'm sure she'll be back on her next tour" whatever!!

Live Nation on Australia and Japan dates

madonnalicious reader Joe asked Live Nation about any plans Madonna had to include Australia and Japan on the Sticky & Sweet Tour - and this was the response from the Assistant to Arthur Fogel:

Unfortunately, there is no plan for to play either Japan or Australia this time out. The tour schedule is Europe and North America, and has been set.

http://madonnalicious.typepad.com/madonnal...-nation-on.html

I really do think she will go to Australia and Japan. I think she will announce it once the tour has started or about to start but I have a feeling she will come regardless of what has been said by Live nation etc.

Sure!

I really do think she will go to Australia and Japan. I think she will announce it once the tour has started or about to start but I have a feeling she will come regardless of what has been said by Live nation etc.

No, Madonna is not coming we would have had word out down here from promoters etc if she was and they have already said that their efforts in trying to get Madonna down here failed well over a week ago.

Guest thehiltonsuite

That's not right! She should throw in a few shows at the end. I think she owes them! Plus it would be MILLIONS upon MILLIONS more dollars!! She would sellout 10 stadiums......they're desperate!

I think this is ridiculous. I won't go so far as to say she "owes" anyone anything, but Australia is a fairly important market, and she really knows better. They've been very loyal and they deserve a tour just as much as South America. :(

I don't blame anyone there for being outraged and pissed.

Guest seancannon

I'd love to know why financially she won't go.....is it the set up costs of traveling so far????

I'd love to know why financially she won't go.....is it the set up costs of traveling so far????

No it's not I think there is another underlining issue that Madonna isn't being completely honest about. Did you see how much U2 made when they were down here on their last tour?? Someone posted the stats I think it was about 5 or 6 million per show and given how strong the Aussie $$$ is at the moment money isn't the prob. Madonna could come here and make just as much as she would in Mexico and Sth America.

If Madonna can tour places like Czech Republic, Russia Sth America and Mexico there is no reason whatsoever that she can't tour here unless she simply doesn't want to. Promoters offered Madonna and her people millions to come down but she declined.

I'm seriously looking into going to the US to catch a show. Every tour I always say to myself she'll come next time and she never does. I originally planned to go on a holiday this year to the US but I scrapped it. I might go afterall. My only dilemma now is to try get a good seat. I don't want to spend all this money and end up sitting at the back of the fucking arena/stadium!!

I missed the articles where the promoters said that they'd failed to get her to come here - any links?

December is a very tough month for tours, since the big stadiums are booked for cricket matches. There was a hell of a ruckus last time she was here about the MCG and the SCG field being wrecked by the seats and the number of people on them. Maybe the promoters offered her November and she refused since she had already planned to be in the US then? As someone else said earlier, the sporting fixtures here really do make it difficult to organise tours in December. She needs to take that into consideration next time.

I missed the articles where the promoters said that they'd failed to get her to come here - any links?

December is a very tough month for tours, since the big stadiums are booked for cricket matches. There was a hell of a ruckus last time she was here about the MCG and the SCG field being wrecked by the seats and the number of people on them. Maybe the promoters offered her November and she refused since she had already planned to be in the US then? As someone else said earlier, the sporting fixtures here really do make it difficult to organise tours in December. She needs to take that into consideration next time.

Um its the same thing in every single country she will play. The new sporting season starts in the fall and I'm pretty sure all the stadiums around the world have the same GRASS.

Um its the same thing in every single country she will play. The new sporting season starts in the fall and I'm pretty sure all the stadiums around the world have the same GRASS.

That's fine, but I'm just saying that it caused problems last time she toured here. If you're not familiar with the game of cricket (I have no idea where you're from), you won't necessarily understand the problem (it's only cricket that's played at the large venues in the summer). Every time there is a big stadium concert in Australia (which is reasonably rare - most concerts are held in smaller arena-type venues in Australia rather than large open air venues), there are complaints about the impact it has on the cricket pitch.

Guys, dont tell anyone but Im planning a secret trip down under to CUBB's place to take away all his china and glass... so he wont slash his wrists.

That's fine, but I'm just saying that it caused problems last time she toured here. If you're not familiar with the game of cricket (I have no idea where you're from), you won't necessarily understand the problem (it's only cricket that's played at the large venues in the summer). Every time there is a big stadium concert in Australia (which is reasonably rare - most concerts are held in smaller arena-type venues in Australia rather than large open air venues), there are complaints about the impact it has on the cricket pitch.

Carta, stop being such an apologist. How come U2's last stadium tour of Australia had no such problems then? As Mad_On_Her said, there are more places than just cricket stadiums to play at. For instance, most stadium shows in Sydney aren't held at the Sydney Cricket Ground - they're held at the former Olympic Stadium, which is NOT a cricket pitch. There's also the Sydney Football Stadium next to the SCG, which is NOT a cricket pitch. And most stadium concerts in Melbourne are actually held at Telstra Dome, which is a football stadium, NOT a cricket pitch. You're just coming up with excuses for Madonna because you're one of those OTT manic fans who can't help but defend her no matter what she does. :wacko:

It seems that unless I agree with everyone who wants to tear Madonna apart, I get attacked. I don't attack others - I just point out other sides of the argument. It's just not possible that every tiny little thing I say is illogical or irrational or apologetic, as some claim.

Was there a stink the last time Madonna was here because the cricket fields were damaged? Yes. What's wrong with mentioning this? I didn't say that this is why she's not coming to Australia, but some of you have decided that this is what I meant. Is it not plausible that venue availability is a factor in Madonna not touring Australia? Yes, it most certainly is, but it's far easier to believe that she's just a cow who refuses to come here out of spite than it is to believe that there's a valid reason for skipping Australia yet again.

I'm tired of people attacking me all the time for having an opinion and expressing it. I don't attack others, so why do people feel the need to attack me?

Oh, lighten up Carta - things aren't that bad! I'm sorry you feel under attack; please be assured I don't have any ill will towards you. But my point (which I agree I could have made more tactfully) is that Madonna doesn't have to play at cricket grounds; she can use other stadiums. In fact, most stadium concerts these days are at places like Telstra Dome and Olympic Park, not cricket grounds. Telstra Dome and Olympic Park didn't even exist in 1993! That's all my point is - yes, there may have been controversy over damaged cricket pitches in 1993, but that's not relevant in 2008. 'Cricket pitches' have nothing to do with her excluding us from tours.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
Guys, dont tell anyone but Im planning a secret trip down under to CUBB's place to take away all his china and glass... so he wont slash his wrists.

:dramatic: