Are Madonna's first-week sales numbers a disappointment? Blame Mariah.

markm

Exactly. Madonna is in a fantastic position right now. It fustrating to see press and fans bicker about album sales when in the grand scheme Madonna is light years ahead. If you like numbers just look at Madonna's touring #'s compared to other acts. And in that department Mariah Carey may as well be Paula Abdul. Mariah Carey always has been and always will be smoke and mirrors. I wasn't kidding a few posts ago- the day will come where she's gloating because she debuts with 45 copies to Madonnas 26.

Fans are so obsessed with album sales that they can't see that it is no longer a priority for concert giants like Madonna or even new artists like Coldplay who make a fortune on their tours and a miniscule amount on CD sales. Let's not forget that Coldplay's last CD sold a truckload all over the world and even they they think CD sales are dead. Even artists like Gwen make more money from touring and her clothing line. As you said, Madonna is again ahead of the curve from everyone else. Her Live Nation says it all. The future is in touring, merchandising, licensing and commercial partnerships. If putting out new music helps all these ventures, then so be it.

Guest nothingfails0603

EW has always had a problem with M, didn't they give Ray Of Light a D back in 98, when every other critic loved it

Guest jeankmx

Thats right!

CD sales are not the top priority for Madonna and the smartes people in the music industry right now.

They make more money on touring than selling records.

This only shows how dumb is Mariah... she just need to be recognized for something, she wants those No1s so bad and have all thse trashy publicity. But shes not making any money of it.... so who Wins?

Madonna is already recognized as a Legend she doesnt need more No 1s or millions of records sold.... shes over it. Shes a Legend.

While Mariah is a local US artist pretending to be better than the other... and she will do anything to proove it. lol... how silly.

Guest nothingfails0603

I think concerts are good, but they're only a fleeting moment, a recording lasts forever.

I have loved 90% of the concerts I've been to, but two hours seeing them in the flesh compared to years of listening to the music is totally different.

I think what I dislike about the idea of "touring artist" is that I always think of oldies artists who have given up and just decided to live in the past, but I know that's not necessarily the fact. I think of people like Cher and The Stones whose new albums are always excuses to tour again, and when they tour, it's always the same played out hits with maybe one or two "new" songs played in succession so half the audience goes to concessions and the restroom. I know Madonna's not that, but whenever I hear people call her a "touring artist", I think of her being this oldies circuit artist who performs The Immaculate Collection in its entirity with a couple 90's and latter hits, and maybe two or three songs from the new album which the audience uses to go to the bathroom. Madonna is NOT that type of artist, so I usually don't think of her as a touring artist, but instead an album artist who has great tours.

I think concerts are good, but they're only a fleeting moment, a recording lasts forever.

I have loved 90% of the concerts I've been to, but two hours seeing them in the flesh compared to years of listening to the music is totally different.

I think what I dislike about the idea of "touring artist" is that I always think of oldies artists who have given up and just decided to live in the past, but I know that's not necessarily the fact. I think of people like Cher and The Stones whose new albums are always excuses to tour again, and when they tour, it's always the same played out hits with maybe one or two "new" songs played in succession so half the audience goes to concessions and the restroom. I know Madonna's not that, but whenever I hear people call her a "touring artist", I think of her being this oldies circuit artist who performs The Immaculate Collection in its entirity with a couple 90's and latter hits, and maybe two or three songs from the new album which the audience uses to go to the bathroom. Madonna is NOT that type of artist, so I usually don't think of her as a touring artist, but instead an album artist who has great tours.

Well the thing is people arent that interested in Chers and The Stones new tunes. They want to see old hits. With Madonna its different. She still remains a huge selling act in terms of her record sales and people still care about her new music. The problem is many who are still into her music (like the casual Madonna fan) willl probably opt to download the album illegally then buy it in the store. Madonna knows this and like everyone has said, pretty soon there will be no money to be made in album sales at all.

E=MC2 (1,075,000) 3 weeks

HARD CANDY (802,000) 1 week (44k was an anomaly)

if you look at the mediatraffic chart though HC is listed as being on it for 2 weeks. 1st week sales were 44k, 2nd week sales 758k. the 44k was due to street date violations but technically they are counting it as 2 weeks on the chart.

I thought it was due to the fact that in a couple of countries, the album was released earlier than their charting week, so it registered sales from those countries the week before it was released in the rest of the world?

I thought it was due to the fact that in a couple of countries, the album was released earlier than their charting week, so it registered sales from those countries the week before it was released in the rest of the world?

Yes, in France FNAC sold HC two days before its European release.

In Italy it was released the 25th April too, but those copies were added to the chart of 04th May, while in France they were counted for the 27th April chart (37K copies, enough for #1).

So that 44K are 90% from France.

Why are so many of you saying that CD sells are not as important as touring? Are you guys really that stupid? To begin with if an artist doesn't release new music that the public likes than the public won't bother buying tickets to go see the tour specially when it comes to Madonna where you have to spend at least $300US to get a good seat. If the regular consumers don't know that she has an album out how are they supposed to know that she's also touring? CD sales is what keeps an artits relevant.....although Janet hit #1, her CD is pretty much over now.....how many people are waiting for her tour? Not that many I bet, and how many people are willing to spend hundreds of $'s to see her? only the crazy one's. So you see, CD sales are very important because it measures how popular an artist is and therefore that dictates how much they can charge in their tours, with the exception of Mariah. Oh well, Madonna is becoming more like the old dinesours (Rolling Stonres, Cher) where she care more about her tours.

Guest Danny86
Why are so many of you saying that CD sells are not as important as touring? Are you guys really that stupid? To begin with if an artist doesn't release new music that the public likes than the public won't bother buying tickets to go see the tour specially when it comes to Madonna where you have to spend at least $300US to get a good seat. If the regular consumers don't know that she has an album out how are they supposed to know that she's also touring? CD sales is what keeps an artits relevant.....

That's wrong, the sales of "4 Minutes" already prove that everybody knows Madonna has new music out. Besides, Madonna doesn't have to rely on new music to sell out tours, her old hits and great shows will always keep her tours successful, regardless of CD sales.

Why don't we try to pretend that Mariah doesn't exist!

It's easy enough for me, I change the radio station when "Touch My Hairy Tits" is played.

Madonna is a success worldwide, Mariah only sells CDs in the U.S.

Guest ercos

much as i dont like mariah, she shoud not be blamed for the low (or at least, not so high) sales of Madge. Madge, based on the promo she did in the, do deserve the sales. Besdies, WB and Madge doesnt really care much bout the US market anymore... i think...

i been stated that bout Freddy but these newbies always attacked me

one can tell these r not fans from the beginning

yeah, i think Freddy injected the hungry whore serum in MADONNA...

O'seary is quite tame... i am quite relieved that we have someone like perezhilton that seems to have this popular site and that he's into MADONNA

Guest danielal

HARD CANDY" is the world's NR.1 ALBUM! Did close to 800 000 copies in its first week WW, making it the most successful album of the year! NR 1 in a record-breaking 36 countries!

Are Payollah Crazey's first-week WW sales numbers a disappointment? Blame Madonna!!!!

"4 MINUTES" is also the world's NR.1 SONG for 4 weeks now! It has sold ~2 000 000 copies by now!

Guest marsha

well said. 36 countries, it's crazy ! why should we cry??? not the holiday season. only one regret, warner was stupid enough to release the song on itunes the same as MC 's new marshmallow, when 4M had no airplay and Touch my peanuts almost peaked, 100 M+ AI. Blame warner! MC went on Oprah, Idol, Madonna went to ??? Blame Madonna! anyway, the song and the album are making history. with promo GITM will be a smash, with or without radio or Mariah.

Guest Ruanrushedin

SOME fans here are so ungrateful. You've got the new Madonna CD, now enjoy it and stop

bitching about her 'failures' according to yourselves - she's making TONS of money of Hard Candy

and thats what she wanted. Let it go already! Mariah got more album sales in the US so what???

arrghhhahahahahahahhh!!!!!! *explodes*

Guest marsha
SOME fans here are so ungrateful. You've got the new Madonna CD, now enjoy it and stop

bitching about her 'failures' according to yourselves - she's making TONS of money of Hard Candy

and thats what she wanted. Let it go already! Mariah got more album sales in the US so what???

arrghhhahahahahahahhh!!!!!! *explodes*

we enjoy fellow. we can complain and enjoy. we madonna fans, not the faithful. no papal infallibility. don't care about the money. I'm not her accountant. I agree, the album is amazing.

we enjoy fellow. we can complain and enjoy. we madonna fans, not the faithful. no papal infallibility. don't care about the money. I'm not her accountant. I agree, the album is amazing.

:lmao::queenbitch::clap: . ur too perfect!!! LOL xo

War In Iraq-Blame Mariah!

The Economy Is Down In The U.S.-Blame Mariah!

The World Is Ending-Blame Mariah!

Lets blame anything that goes wrong in the world on Mariah.

:doh: Come on now, I don't like Mariah either, but lets be fair. It's ridiculous to blame her for Madonna's "so called" dissapointing first week sales.

War In Iraq-Blame Mariah!

The Economy Is Down In The U.S.-Blame Mariah!

The World Is Ending-Blame Mariah!

Lets blame anything that goes wrong in the world on Mariah.

:doh: Come on now, I don't like Mariah either, but lets be fair. It's ridiculous to blame her for Madonna's "so called" dissapointing first week sales.

If Madonna's first week looks like a disapointment its because Mariah had just opened with large numbers due to her fool proof promotion. She had nothing to do with Madonna's first week sales but played a part in making them look unimpressive. That was the chart battle people were watching, but you could also put a positive spin on it and call it the 3rd best opening of the year so far, etc. Someone with a negative spin (Roger Friedman) will mention Mariah's #s and say Madonna's sales left something to be desired.

Guest marsha
Mariah had nothing to do with Madonna's lack of promotion.

right. LA Times is wrong because Mariah and Madonna are very different, they have opposite style. MC did promo. M-dolla-zy did not (so far). that's all.

maybe they wanted to say that when she's around somewhere the whale takes the whole place. critics can be so sly.