Am I the only fan PISSED? HC debut should have been @ least 400K

I think most are angry simply because we are comparing it to "She Who Must Not Be Named" opening. But bitch had 2 nights on American Idol, and Oprah among other shows on TV, so YES I think promo was a big factor in why it didnt open bigger, but I think this album will have legs.

Guest harbors

You are not the only one. I am not very happy with the way she promotes the album so far.

I also expected a new US #1 but "we have to be happy because she has a new top ten, because she is a white woman almost 50 years old and blah blah". I HAVE TO...but I'm not satisfied. :americanlife:

Guest socalboy1984
I also expected a new US #1 but "we have to be happy because she has a new top ten, because she is a white woman almost 50 years old and blah blah". I HAVE TO...but I'm not satisfied. :americanlife:

She is #1. People are getting overly emotional. 283k is amazing.

Since people insist on comparing Madonna's performance in the U.S. with Mariah's, let's look at the facts. TMB got more than twice the airplay of 4 Minutes and did very well in every format & genre. Mariah's last CD which had multiple hits sold 3x more than Confessions. Mariah is 38, Madonna is almost 50. Mariah is black, Madonna is white and U.S. radio & charts are dominated by black artists. Mariah's career depends entirely on sales & the charts, Madonna does not. Thus Mariah promoted her CD to death, Madonna did not. Considering all the facts, I'm actually relieved HC sold close to 300K. I read in another forum that at 290K, HC would be the third highest debut this year & almost half the year is gone. Not bad if you ask me.

I read in another forum that at 290K, HC would be the third highest debut this year

:clap: That would be very cool if its true. And who knows. Maybe soundscan will have the result higher.

Guest kramm
Mariah is black

Mariah is mixed. have you seen her mother? and her father is half black, half venezuelan. she is only 1/3 black... hardly a majority.

Guest boytoyville

It has opened just fine! RELAX! There is another single & a tour coming! Wait to see how it holds up for awhile before freaking out. What happned to you Candylipsgirl? You used to be so optomisitic!?

Mariah is mixed. have you seen her mother? and her father is half black, half venezuelan. she is only 1/3 black... hardly a majority.

Even so. She's still considered black as far as American radio is concerned. If she were pure white, there's no chance in hell her songs would be played in urban stations. She'd be like a Celine Dion.

Guest kramm
Even so. She's still considered black as far as American radio is concerned. If she were pure white, there's no chance in hell her songs would be played in urban stations. She'd be like a Celine Dion.

race is such a lame answer. is that the only card left?

This didn't need its own thread. I really do not get the negative attitude with this... other things, yes, but not this. She could have done more promotion, true, but she's done excellent!

Exactly what I'd expect of a 50 year old dance artist during this time of year.

It has opened just fine! RELAX! There is another single & a tour coming! Wait to see how it holds up for awhile before freaking out. What happned to you Candylipsgirl? You used to be so optomisitic!?

Boytoy_

Hey Sweets-miss you much!

I am just confused thats all.

Its a mathmatical anamoly! (spelling)

4M = Monster hit! Established Hit since Music!

Hung Up = medicore hit

but Coad debuts with 350!

Holidays? promotions?

just does NOT ad up...

Oh big deal. i thought it was worldwide.

i didn't expect more from Madonna, if she wanted the numbers to be higher she should've done some fucking promotion. We are comparing her sales to Moomoo's and thats why fans freak out. dont forget that bitch was and still is everywhere promoting her album.

I am not pissed at all... We have it coming... PROMO, SALES PERIOD and SALES CLIMATE are the 3 factors...

PROMO - not well-positioned, too niche marketing, there's not even a TV commercial

SALES PERIOD - if we compare it to COADF, it would be really unfair, COADF was release Nov. 15, 2005 when sales are stratosheric...

SALES CLIMATE - physical album sales declined around 25%-30% since Nov. 2005, not mainly due to legal downloads but illegal as well...

as some posters have said... 450k is like the new 600k... 280k is like the new 375k... (both 25% sales decline)

ultimately, it will be all about longevity

Guest socalboy1984
Since people insist on comparing Madonna's performance in the U.S. with Mariah's, let's look at the facts. TMB got more than twice the airplay of 4 Minutes and did very well in every format & genre. Mariah's last CD which had multiple hits sold 3x more than Confessions. Mariah is 38, Madonna is almost 50. Mariah is black, Madonna is white and U.S. radio & charts are dominated by black artists. Mariah's career depends entirely on sales & the charts, Madonna does not. Thus Mariah promoted her CD to death, Madonna did not. Considering all the facts, I'm actually relieved HC sold close to 300K. I read in another forum that at 290K, HC would be the third highest debut this year & almost half the year is gone. Not bad if you ask me.

Couldn't have said it better myself. *high five*

It's amazing how negative some of you are!

Are you that spooked by Mariah and her publicity machine? I wouldn't give the bitch a second thought!

"Touch My Hairy Tits" is already one of the worst songs of 2008! :demonic::demonic:

Madonna is doing just fine, HARD CANDY will sell 10 million or more worldwide, who gives a fuck if Mariah sells more records in the U.S

I think this album really will have legs if Madonna and WBR are saving the majority of their promotion for the 2nd single. Not only will that help the 2nd single but it will also keep the album going.

Guest kramm
If she were pure white, there's no chance in hell her songs would be played in urban stations. She'd be like a Celine Dion.

what about Fergie? or Justin? or even Gwen? have they been played on "urban" stations?

It is funny how some people dont wanna compare HC with CODF. It is true that sales are lower in the record industry generally speaking and the seasonal factor. However, the aim of this album was to make Madonna bigger in the US again, despite some people claiming that it is not true. She has worked with the most fashionable producers, those who can almost assure a hit in the US.

CODF wasnt US-friendly at all, so 1.7 million was a success and it sold very well elsewhere. I doubt that will be the case of HC (taking into account general lower sales or illegal downloads which account for every artist)

Well, Oprah is having a Favorite Summer Things show soon, so maybe she'll name Hard Candy as her new fave CD to workout to! Gosh, that kind of publicity would be great. Or maybe Madge will be on the season finale show. She needs to let folks know that if they loved 4 Minutes, they'll love the new CD! ;)

I'm disappointed at the U.S. tally - I over-estimated it by a large number - but it could be much worse. And honestly, she still has a good chance to do well in the worldwide total.

I'm not happy

her/warner's fault:

awful promo

a cover that I tend to like now... but I think is a turn-off for looking so overly gay (just like COADF)

fans excuses:

a hit single... and she haven't had a single like that since Music in the states... and COADF opened 100k higher with no radio support and also very little promo... it doesn't matter if it was holiday season and more sales back then... promo wasn't much more and there was NO radio support... a key-factor!

also this holiday season crap excuses are lame because it's spring-non holiday season in the rest of the world too where she have sold gold/platinum in many markets after just one week...!!

also I don't buy this "50 white woman" excuse either... that's also some lame excuse... and if it is an excuse than it just means that there's something fucked up with the US society because obviously this is nothing they care about in Europe, Canada, Australia etc.

US fault:

probably the most lame fanbase and anti-good music market in the world with a dictatorship radio that doesn't care for high demands or what people want to hear obviously...