US Chart Talk: 5/17/08 Charts

horn

Guest Bad Robot

Wow, that would be a 70% drop, I think that's worse than even AL did.

I must say I'm completely confused -- 4M way outdid my expectations for sales and airplay, and yet the album is doing relatively rather poorly.

I have no idea what to expect anymore. I feel like my predictions have been spotty at best so this era has me totally confounded.

Guest boytoyville

It's incredible how horrific album sales are in the US & across the world. It's like watching a train reck you can't do anything about. Even if M's sales take a tumble this week the tour should help stablize it some. It's starting to be all about singles sales unfortunaly anyway. The "album" as we know it is dying & I wish the industry would find a better way to combat that.

There's nothing to complain. It's all her fault.

Sadly I agree. She wanted to spend all her time talking about her documentary which is fine. In the long run I suppose it is more importaint, but she really did jackshit to promote this record on a large scale. Its like she didnt even want to try.

It's Madonna's own fault. I've still yet to see her make any major appearances to promote Hard Candy. It's as if she and her camp thinks that a CD with Madonna+Timbaland/JT+Pharrell will sell itself while she gets herself together. Even if she does have a tour to plan, she still needs to set aside some time to hit the television circuit.

It's Madonna's own fault. I've still yet to see her make any major appearances to promote Hard Candy. It's as if she and her camp thinks that a CD with Madonna+Timbaland/JT+Pharrell will sell itself while she gets herself together. Even if she does have a tour to plan, she still needs to set aside some time to hit the television circuit.

Well with the tour starting in 3 months it looks like the chances of that are slim to none.

Guest powerofgoodbye

skin69, when are you going to put out the 2nd single comparison in your signature? :p

Sadly I agree. She wanted to spend all her time talking about her documentary which is fine. In the long run I suppose it is more importaint, but she really did jackshit to promote this record on a large scale. Its like she didnt even want to try.

Yeap, I agree with you aswell. Why did she even bother releasing the album if she wasn't going to promote it.....I don't get it. Does she really think that an album just with her name on it will sell itself....at least here in the US. Why did she bother spending all that money hiring JT/Timba/Pharell if she wasn't gonna give a shit how well the album sells. Oh well. I have her album but don't plan on spending anything else on her, not gonna buy singles or delux editions from this album until she get's her arse up and promotes it which I really think she wont cause after she gets done with the documentary she'll be too busy rehearsing for the tour. W/E! :thumbsdown::nocomment:

Guest Hafo

She is not releasing the album. Warner is. It's her last album with that label. It's being reported that Warner do not want to spend much in promotion, and at the end of the day, Warner is still making money, she is still getting paid and she has time to invest in other projects she believes are priority.

Sad, at the end of the day, but that's how business are. She'll have to WHORE herself to death with promotion for Live Nation though.

She is not releasing the album. Warner is. It's her last album with that label. It's being reported that Warner do not want to spend much in promotion, and at the end of the day, Warner is still making money, she is still getting paid and she has time to invest in other projects she believes are priority.

Sad, at the end of the day, but that's how business are. She'll have to WHORE herself to death with promotion for Live Nation though.

I dont beleive that. Warner is not doing well financially now and they definitely would like to see one of their biggest artists bring them as much money as possible. They can probably sell a total of 7-8 million albums with HC and Greatest Hits, and i doubt they'd want anything less.

And as far as Live Nation goes, that deal of hers is not that hard to accomplish. All she needs is 3 concert tours and a 2 or 3 big hit songs (to still make her a hot act) in the next ten years and that would be enough. The tours make a ton of money and will make up for any poor album sales.

So what you're saying that since this is her last album with WB she can't be bother with promotion because she doesn't care.....well that's very unprofessional of her. So if you're correct then we should expect her to WHORE around promotion wise for her 1st album with LN, get Mediocre promotion with her 2nd album and don't even think about getting any promo from her 3rd album....is that how's it's gonna be? Well at least by that time you can use the age excuse, she'll probably be in her late 50's or early 60's.

I am actually excited to see a new era for her albums under LIVENATION... will we see better promo? will we see better cooperation between M and LN? we'll find out in 2 and half years when her next album is released...

Guest Danny86
Yeap, I agree with you aswell. Why did she even bother releasing the album if she wasn't going to promote it.....I don't get it.

Because she has something called "recording contract" with Warner so she had to release an album every 2 and a half years.

I seriously doubt the Live Nation promo will consist of going to Oprah or AI or anything like that, it will be more fan concerts and more tours. By the end of 2010, album sales will be even less relevant than they are now.

By the end of 2010, album sales will be even less relevant than they are now.

well consumers are being trained to buy 99 cent singles, which is the main reason why album sales have fallen so much over the last two years. i bet that if all singles were deleted, album sales would go up. i never really believed that singles help album sale.s

well consumers are being trained to buy 99 cent singles, which is the main reason why album sales have fallen so much over the last two years. i bet that if all singles were deleted, album sales would go up. i never really believed that singles help album sale.s

iTunes or record companies can actually make ALBUM ONLY options if they really want albums to sell thru downloads... mind you that HARD CANDY sold 74,000 copies digitally in its first week... they can release EPs with no album-only options if they still want multiple versions to chart...

Guest danielal

"HARD CANDY" is the world's NR.1 ALBUM! Did 800 000 copies in its first week WW, making it the most successful album of the year! NR 1 in a record-breaking 36 countries!

"HARD CANDY" is the world's NR.1 ALBUM! Did 800 000 copies in its first week WW, making it the most successful album of the year! NR 1 in a record-breaking 36 countries!

BREAKING NEWS.

As curious as I am about Madonna's forthcoming Live Nation era, who knows how long it'll be between now and when she starts recording for them. 2010…2011…? I'm more interested in the here and now, and would prefer to see her go to town promoting this already existing new album. Despite the marriage with WB coming to an end, both she and the label would be foolish to not promote this album (which could generate millions for all involved), and try to make as much money off it as they can.