US Chart Talk: 5/17/08 Charts

horn

I am A-OK with 282K, given the market and lowered expectations in the last week. Billboard seems way off here.

- Matt

Same here, I hope she doesn't drop the average drop of 60%!

Guest Danny86
Considering the market has fallen about 30% since 2005, these sales are the "2005 equivalent" of about 400k.

Finally a great comment in this hot mess thread! :thumbsup:

Same here, I hope she doesn't drop the average drop of 60%!

Why wouldn't she? What makes her special enough to not drop the usual 60%?

:confused:

Guest jamesshot

I wouldnt be happy with 282k if she had promoted the album like she should have. If she does no promotion next week, expect a HUGE drop. I say over 70% drop with no promo.

Why wouldn't she? What makes her special enough to not drop the usual 60%?

:confused:

:abuse: Did you not understand what I wrote? I said "I hope she doesn't"...she will probably drop more!

Bigham...aren't you a bit overboard with some of the flop comments? There is a difference between being insulting and just making a comment about an album flopping....

No.

FLOP is the most over used term here. It's annoying. People have complained and complained about it.

This thread is for the US Chart Talk. Endless posts about flopping is not welcome here.

:abuse: Did you not understand what I wrote? I said "I hope she doesn't"...she will probably drop more!

xx

:lol:

No.

FLOP is the most over used term here. It's annoying. People have complained and complained about it.

This thread is for the US Chart Talk. Endless posts about flopping is not welcome here.

But many acts are flopping. Take a look at Ashlee Simpson's figures and you'l understand why people use that word so much.

I wouldnt be happy with 282k if she had promoted the album like she should have. If she does no promotion next week, expect a HUGE drop. I say over 70% drop with no promo.

We will be begging for this CD to be certified "GOLD."

Geez...talk about going overboard! Some people love to abuse the little power they have! lol

Deleting "flop" threads is not an abuse of power. I said not to use it so please don't. Thank you.

No we will not.

Week 1: 282k

Week 2: 115k

Week 3: 60k

457k after 3 weeks.

WOW :shock: .....Kinda depressing in a way since 3 weeks ago most of us thought she'll be doing over 400K in a week, including myself until I've seen the shitty promotion she was doing here in the States, or everywhere else for that matter. It seems that she has done zero to no promotion for this album, except her mini concert at Roseland.

I guessed 280k last week! :)

Guest jamesshot

Again, we have to be happy with 282k. However, I am very concerned about its legs. With no promo, she is going to drop big next week. She needs to do a few talk shows at the very least( Ellen and Letterman---you know she is saving Oprah for the Malawi docu).

Guest Bad Robot

I was deleting some of the posts as well.

Look, this is not about censoring people's opinions, but some of you don't seem to understand that there are a lot of other people reading these threads and trying to get information who aren't necessarily replying to them. Feel free to post if you have something substantive to say, but if all you have to add is "FLOP!" or something way off-topic or some frowny face with no context, you're just creating board "pollution." People complain constantly to thebigham and I about the state of the Charts forum, how it's out of control, how all these threads are about 99% people freaking out and overreacting and bashing some other artist or going way off the topic, and it seems like only about 1% are actually people making relevant comments or analysis, or providing legitimate facts.

The handful of you who like to chime in constantly with the random negative comments may enjoy wading through all of them but the majority of people reading this forum do not. Many people have simply stopped visiting this forum altogether they find it so frustrating to get actual information or to read any sort of meaningful discussion.

Do you have a reasoned opinion or analysis or question or some other positive contribution? Then please do post!

Do you just want to chime in with a "FLOP!" or bash another artist or just post to get your post count up? Then keep it to yourself, it's not relevant.

Also, do a little studying to understand what "abuse of power" means. This is not a democracy, we have admins who have been specifically asked to keep things organized, to prevent fights, to make sure comments are on topic, and to make it easier for *everyone* to read the forum and participate.

The vast majority of people who participate here keep are positive members, but please respect the admins, and if you have an issue with them, bring it up privately or take it to the forum news/suggestions board.

This is the end of the discussion on this, thebigham and I are just going to delete posts that aren't on topic or substantive.

Guest socalboy1984

I'd stop coming to this forum if you didn't delete those lame posts. Thank you for this service. It is important to present Madonna in a positive light and I think her sales this week are great.

I was deleting some of the posts as well.

Look, this is not about censoring people's opinions, but some of you don't seem to understand that there are a lot of other people reading these threads and trying to get information who aren't necessarily replying to them. Feel free to post if you have something substantive to say, but if all you have to add is "FLOP!" or something way off-topic or some frowny face with no context, you're just creating board "pollution." People complain constantly to thebigham and I about the state of the Charts forum, how it's out of control, how all these threads are about 99% people freaking out and overreacting and bashing some other artist or going way off the topic, and it seems like only about 1% are actually people making relevant comments or analysis, or providing legitimate facts.

The handful of you who like to chime in constantly with the random negative comments may enjoy wading through all of them but the majority of people reading this forum do not. Many people have simply stopped visiting this forum altogether they find it so frustrating to get actual information or to read any sort of meaningful discussion.

Do you have a reasoned opinion or analysis or question or some other positive contribution? Then please do post!

Do you just want to chime in with a "FLOP!" or bash another artist or just post to get your post count up? Then keep it to yourself, it's not relevant.

Also, do a little studying to understand what "abuse of power" means. This is not a democracy, we have admins who have been specifically asked to keep things organized, to prevent fights, to make sure comments are on topic, and to make it easier for *everyone* to read the forum and participate.

The vast majority of people who participate here keep are positive members, but please respect the admins, and if you have an issue with them, bring it up privately or take it to the forum news/suggestions board.

This is the end of the discussion on this, thebigham and I are just going to delete posts that aren't on topic or substantive.

Guest moboy

I think Soundscan(billboard) will come out to about 288K, give or take. She proably had nearly 1,000 street date violations that are not counted in this week's total.

Guest traherne
But many acts are flopping. Take a look at Ashlee Simpson's figures and you'l understand why people use that word so much.

Maybe we need to redefine our standards, then. The days of Thriller and Jagged Little Pill are over.

Guest fighting_spirit
seriously from the early HD %s, estimates, aura in the air etc..I was truly dreading she do around 225-250 (max)! :( This IS a relief! :) :)

I was afraid the estimates were way off (like Mimi's 600k) and the album would sell below 200k, so I'm quite relieved!

She only did a streamed gig, press junket, and one BET interview, that's pretty much nothing compared to what others have done so we should be very glad she sold as much as she did.

Hopefully she'll come back for a 2nd round of promo in the US next month when GI2M is released, I doubt she'd give up on it that soon.

Guest jamesshot

I think people are just disappointed because 4M is such a smash. Therefore, everyone was expecting higher numbers. Given proper promotion, M would have had much higher than 282k. No doubt. With almost zero promo( ok minimal), 282k is outstanding. 4M did all the promotion for this album.

Guest harbors

I'm ok with the number. hopefully, it's not gonna drop like a rock next week.

it's time for madonna to do promotions.

283K are not that bad. And SS is maybe a little higher.

With Mothers Day on Sunday there is hope that it won't have a 60% drop.

I'm hoping for:

Week 2: 170K (40% drop)

Week 3: 100k (40% drop)