Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Guest Bad Robot

Sigh.

I never used the word "flop."

Everybody's free to think whatever they want.

On a personal note I just find this whole era to be really blah, and is the first time I can remember honestly being completely turned off by an M music project.

I've been somewhat turned off, to a degree, in the past to certain musical projects (i.e. Erotica, somewhat American Life), but then she does something to generate that spark for me- so, don't lose hope, BR. :) Maybe for you it will be the tour.

In terms of promo, this album release really is no different. Going back, a lot of ROL's promo came later on- all she had in the USA was MTV promoting it a lot (Ultrasound, that videography special, and all she performed at was Rosie's show, where she lipped "Frozen"- think that was in week 2). ROL had more hype than HC, though, so that also helped.

This isn't her worst studio album, that honor goes to Bedtime Stories. I am in love with HC. I'm happy she was able to make a real Madonna album with current popular urban producers.

If the Sticky and Sweet tour is recorded for DVD -- that should encourage people who haven't bought the album to get it.

I agree this is pretty ridiculous the way some people here twist chart stats to fit their distorted view. Hard Candy is clearing not doing very well by M's standards. It will probably outsell American Life, but not by very much.

Personally I don't think the album is very good either. I feel like she was trying to make a hit US album, and she ended up with not-so-great material and an underperforming album. The whole project feels like a misfire to me.

At least AL very clearly meant something to M personally. I don't think HC has the ring of much authentic emotion. Perhaps that's why she's not bothering to promote, she doesn't have a lot of personal connection to the music.

I completely agree with you.

AL and Erotica werent very successful but M didnt try to make highly commercial albums. HC is different in that respect. I do not consider it a flop (too soon to tell) but it is definetely underperforming. Sales are low for everyone, not just for Madonna.

So commercially it is a dissapointment for me, however the album as a whole is good (not brilliant like COADF was though) and that is enough for me although I would like if I said I dont care about sales. I am in a chart thread after all....

Guest valhum

Funny how many of the people here have the same opinion i have about the album yet Pud goes to MMad and starts calling FILTH here and there because of that :lol:

This was my original post over there:

Can we start calling the album a HUUUUUUUUUUGE flop a la American Life or are we gonna be in denial :? :? :?

Having a 1st week of 280k sales and now dropping to 90k, you can imagine that if it drops another 50% we are seeing sales of 40K, meaning there is no way in hell she will pass the Million in the USA....ouch!!

What is the difference between this and the cries of Flop for AL, the big single?!?!?!?!? BUT as we can see, a single cannot save album sales especially these days when you can buy just the song, etc.

Don't you think this sort of scenario should worry the people who paid that huge amount for the new deal.

She will not be able to be charging the same amounts of money if she tours every damn year.

No promotion at all. No idea when the next video will be. That huge ass RUSHED world tour, etc, etc. They all look as very very bad decisions imo.

And with the tour so rushed in, you can forget about cool stuff on the tour and the album. Give it 2 Her ($$$) is the only single coming, i doubt they would take the time to make another proper video. This is even worst than the COAD singles.

Such a shame that it seems she only made this album to go on tour, like cool the album is out and lets get some MONEYYYYYYYY!!!

As a fan i am very sad because this looks as if it would be one of her worst ERAS. Even worst than AL. There, she at least tried and now there was no trying from the get go. That horrible photopaint booklet, the lack of talk show promotion, etc, etc, i could go on and on but we all know the deal.

Sometimes i even forget there is a new "era" going on right now. I feel as if the album was released last year and we don't care about it and the only thing we care is where we will see the show.

Don't get me wrong, i like the album, it is catchy but i must admit it doesn't have that long lasting appeal. I think the name fits it well. Candies are nice when you start eating them but then they fade away sooo quickly.

What are your opinions on the subject?!?

Of course then some appear and SCREAM hating on M, not a fan, pathetic, etc, etc :dramatic:

I agree this is pretty ridiculous the way some people here twist chart stats to fit their distorted view. Hard Candy is clearing not doing very well by M's standards. It will probably outsell American Life, but not by very much.

Personally I don't think the album is very good either. I feel like she was trying to make a hit US album, and she ended up with not-so-great material and an underperforming album. The whole project feels like a misfire to me.

At least AL very clearly meant something to M personally. I don't think HC has the ring of much authentic emotion. Perhaps that's why she's not bothering to promote, she doesn't have a lot of personal connection to the music.

She even stated in an interview here she didn't like the HC songs at first, but everyone kept telling her how great they were :confused:

That says it all really.

alot of disappointments this year:

18 AIKEN*CLAY ON MY WAY HERE 114,648

33 BEDINGFIELD*NATASHA POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE

64 DANITY KANE WELCOME TO THE DOLLHOUSE 474,668

76 PANIC AT THE DISCO PRETTY ODD 265,823

83 BROWN*FOXY BROOKLYN'S DON DIVA 8,898

93 SNOOP DOGG EGO TRIPPIN' 317,974

100 SIMPSON*ASHLEE BITTERSWEET WORLD 81,738

104 GNARLS BARKLEY ODD COUPLE 158,975

149 NINE INCH NAILS GHOSTS I-IV 74,922

139 RAY J ALL I FEEL 84,280

152 JACKSON*JANET DISCIPLINE 385,268

167 FOO FIGHTERS ECHOES SILENCE PATIENCE & GRAC 733,681

Guest nothingfails0603

I think the reason fans are panicing is because of how fast and soon albums can dip down to the 10-20k a week market IF THEY'RE LUCKY. HC was her most US-friendly radio oriented album since Bedtime Stories, and yet it'll be lucky if it can outsell AL at the pace it's going. And I think the fact that HC is so much more mainstream than AL will only keep Madonna bashers and critics on her case for months. I am sure Mariah fans have 100 pages making fun of this albums' sales the same way Discipline and X's poor sales are made fun of here.

And I agree with those who think "the market is down" is a copout, her song was much bigger on iTunes than Touch My Body was, so she should be closer to Mariah in sales than Janet.

She even stated in an interview here she didn't like the HC songs at first, but everyone kept telling her how great they were :confused:

That says it all really.

Puppet.

Guest Bad Robot

That says it all really.

What interview was that? I'd be curious to read it.

nfails, as we all know, 4M is not a typical Madonna track- if the lead single was just Madonna, and had done as well as 4M, and the album was performing the way it has, then it would be more of a disappointment, in my view.

Lots of people who bought/like 4M probably weren't/aren't interested in a Madonna album. Just like I don't think 4M is going to do much to increase M's fortune at USA radio- she may get a little more notice than she typically would, but 4M by and large will be the album's biggest airplay hit.

Sigh.

I never used the word "flop."

Everybody's free to think whatever they want.

On a personal note I just find this whole era to be really blah, and is the first time I can remember honestly being completely turned off by an M music project.

Thats cuz your being mild BR.

Im calling it a BIG HUGE FLOP-a la AL part 2

(Im saying it, but most of you are thinking it)

Was it JR that called it a JANET SIZE FLOP...

Before some of you tell me " your NO fan" because you only like "successful" cds. Thats BS

I can still be a fan and be str8forward and objective. That does NOT make me negative and pessimistic..

If it walks like a duck...You know the rest

PS: Im still "HOPEFUL" there may be a rescue mission with GI2ME.

BUT , if that fails: I think we need to always add this CD with AL as far as disasters!

Guest harbors
Before some of you tell me " your NO fan" because you only like "successful" cds. Thats BS

I can still be a fan and be str8forward and objective. That does NOT make me negative and pessimistic..

If it walks like a duck...You know the rest

well-said.

The album's sales trends really are following American Life closely- only difference is, AL dropped 15-26 in its 4th week on the chart, whereas Hard Candy may squeze in another week in the top 10.

I see candylips is having another sales seizure- oy...

If HC is a HUGE FLOP, then, take a look at the entire BB 200, there are LOADS of em.

Really, HC is no sales smash by any standard of the word- but, AL isa fitting album to compare it to, and look where AL was ranked 5 years ago with similar sales, during a comparable time of year.

Even Mimi isn't immune- Emancipation was still top 3 after 6 weeks, with 173,000+- E=MC2 is on track for 45,000 in its 6th week.

The album's sales trends really are following American Life closely- only difference is, AL dropped 15-26 in its 4th week on the chart, whereas Hard Candy may squeze in another week in the top 10.

I see candylips is having another sales seizure- oy...

If HC is a HUGE FLOP, then, take a look at the entire BB 200, there are LOADS of em.

Really, HC is no sales smash by any standard of the word- but, AL isa fitting album to compare it to, and look where AL was ranked 5 years ago with similar sales, during a comparable time of year.

Even Mimi isn't immune- Emancipation was still top 3 after 6 weeks, with 173,000+- E=MC2 is on track for 45,000 in its 6th week.

HG:

You are right...Im in BIG TIME WITHDRAWALS! Im in shock really....I had hoped for much better performance.

Heres why:

Ever since the Debut of 4M on radio-and the great response to it on air and sales-

I was "OMG>>>>SHES BACK WITH A BANG>>>>>

And then........reality set in.

Honestly, I am shocked. With AL, it was EXPECTED!...The video , the time era, the bad reveiws...

I was just ECSTATIC over AL debuting @ # 1. And did NOT expect more!

But with HC...the game is totally diff. And I was OMG...

Coming from a HIT ALBUM, having Radio airplay, justin/timbaland....

The receipe was RIPE for a major HIT ALBUM

It almost felt like this CD was at least going to go 2x platinum....

So, Im being honest, and if that makes me silly and stupid...THEN I AM...

candy, reality should have set in when you saw that it was Madonna Featuring Justin Timberlake: a typical Madonna lead single, we did not have. And you should have had some idea that preople who may love 4M would not be that anxious to get a Madonna album- hence, its big singles sales success.

How could u have been surprised to see AL debut at No. 1? No matter the turkley of the title track- it was the follow-up to Music, and Madonna certainly has the cache to command a strong sales opening.

candy, reality should have set in when you saw that it was Madonna Featuring Justin Timberlake: a typical Madonna lead single, we did not have. And you should have had some idea that preople who may love 4M would not be that anxious to get a Madonna album- hence, its big singles sales success.

How could u have been surprised to see AL debut at No. 1? No matter the turkley of the title track- it was the follow-up to Music, and Madonna certainly has the cache to command a strong sales opening.

I was ecstatic....

Remember, in the 90s ...Madonna had scored ''5''' #2s cds...

So , AL was the a big accomplishment since the 80s! 2 x 1s in 3 yrs..(music/al)

...and besides...

Al had no real hits....(intervention would have been!)

(and controversy)

like I said...I did NOT think outside the box...I figured 4M was key to a big hit CD..

Mind you...2 million is NOT a huge hit for M....

Well, her last two studio abums fell short of 2 million (though COADF could be certifed at a later date).

You gotta think outside the box, darlin'- if 4M was just Madonna and was performing as well as it's been, and HC was where it was at, I'd be more inclined to have more sympathy for your sales seizures. ;)

Neither am I.

I could care less what the numbers are. HC is a great record, and i'm enjoying it more everyday.

Others who can only "enjoy" it based on sales are fucking weird and insane.

Btw, 2 million is a HUGE hit for Madonna or anyone in this devastated record industry.

Neither am I.

I could care less what the numbers are. HC is a great record, and i'm enjoying it more everyday.

Others who can only "enjoy" it based on sales are fucking weird and insane.

Btw, 2 million is a HUGE hit for Madonna or anyone in this devastated record industry.

But she ain't selling 2 million. 1 million is even uncertain.

To be honest, I don't like the album and I'm happy is flopping. Now call me flop fan.

Guest Synth
But she ain't selling 2 million. 1 million is even uncertain.

To be honest, I don't like the album and I'm happy is flopping. Now call me flop fan.

Your not a flop fan.

No Madonna fan is.

But why be so negative?

If it wasn't a flop (not that it is) would you like it more?

Edited by Synth

No, I wouldn't, when it leaked I didn't like it, and, I didn't know it was going to underperform.

No, I wouldn't, when it leaked I didn't like it, and, I didn't know it was going to underperform.

Just so I can know, how much does it have to sell for it to perform well in your eyes? I mean, its only been out 3 weeks and with half the year over its already the 3rd best selling CD of the year worldwide. Im just confused.

Just so I can know, how much does it have to sell for it to perform well in your eyes? I mean, its only been out 3 weeks and with half the year over its already the 3rd best selling CD of the year worldwide. Im just confused.

This is a US thread, I don't know why people keep bringing the outside US success. Anyway, Madonna did this album to re-captivate her US audience, which the single did, she should've had a bigger opening week and stayed more time in the top spop/top 3. She had healthy airplay, huge hype, top colaborations and yet, people aren't rushing out to buy the album.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I think HC sales prove that EVERYONE can be affected by album sale slumps. We've seen A LOT of artists suffer from this over the last couple years, the market IS changing rapidly and no matter how big of a name you are it can still hit your sales hard.

Not saying that is the ONLY reason HC is kinda under performing, but i'd say it's a big one since we've seen so many poor album sales lately.

I wouldn't go as far as saying HC is a flop, give it a bit more time. But i don't think this will end up anywhere NEAR COADF sales. Kinda ironic since HC was meant to be this big U.S return for her.