Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Hard to believe Motley Crue is selling so much, i think their last hit was when Bush Sr. was president.

63 MOTLEY CRUE SAINTS OF LOS ANGELES 8,593 -21 10,915 193,839

I'm also shocked by kid Rock

4 KID ROCK ROCK N ROLL JESUS 90,310 -6 95,745 1,516,191

As you can see, the percentage declines aren't so bad these days. And, it could be worse- American Life was off the chart in its 15th week. :)

I posted scenarios of what week the tour first will impact the album- that is, if it's still on the chart at that time.

HC needs roughly 57,000 to pass AL's to-date sum.

Also- HC looks to be the 51st-best-selling release currently on the Billboard 200- not that that means much of anything, just a piece of useless info. :) Next week, Mamma Mia and Sugarland's latest will pass HC.

Guest nothingfails0603

makes you wonder how much more HC would've sold if Madonna had promoted her album to the extent Mariah promoted hers. Coldplay, Lil Wayne and Jonas Brothers are now showing that talk of the music industries demise has been greatly exaggerated, and maybe a few major performances could've made this album a bit more successful than it is

makes you wonder how much more HC would've sold if Madonna had promoted her album to the extent Mariah promoted hers. Coldplay, Lil Wayne and Jonas Brothers are now showing that talk of the music industries demise has been greatly exaggerated, and maybe a few major performances could've made this album a bit more successful than it is

we will never know but in my opinion had she promoted more and had the label capitalized more on the remaining duets with Justin and the duet with Kanye, HC wouldn't be right now in this miserable position ... oh well, I hope the tour does well.

Well, it's not like Lil Wayne's gonna scan 5 million or anything- he's at 2m+, and likely will top 3, though. These avcts are seeing big openings, but aren't holding up like past big sellers did.

Guest nothingfails0603
we will never know but in my opinion had she promoted more and had the label capitalized more on the remaining duets with Justin and the duet with Kanye, HC wouldn't be right now in this miserable position ... oh well, I hope the tour does well.

I agree. This era is a lost opportunity IMO. I admit I am definately in the "hater" category that thinks HC is the worst she's ever put out, but... while we're in this era, there's so much they could've done differently. I think had Beat Goes On been released on the heels of 4 Minutes, she would've had no problem making the top 40 again without ease. That song is a pure summer track and could've easily stabilized sales in the states. I think with two hits back to back in the pocket, that Give It 2 Me would've fared better as well as a third single than second since programmers would've been a tad bit more warmed back to Madonna

It's possible BGO would have fared better than GI2M as a second release, but only because it has Pharrell and Kanye on it. The big point is that a Madonna-only second single is gonna struggle. And on top of that, a lead Madonna-only single in this day and age more than likely won't do as well as 4M did.

The big point is that a Madonna-only second single is gonna struggle. And on top of that, a lead Madonna-only single in this day and age more than likely won't do as well as 4M did.

I don't think this is true. People will give a chance to a Madonna-only song and a Madonna-only record as long as it is good and it is promoted properly.

The whole Hard Candy project was marketed before its release as a collaboration record. This is what people were expecting and 4M was big hit. It worked. People liked it. If they have kept releasing the collaboration songs as singles things would have been different. Give It 2 me just confused audiences and radio programmers and Miles Away is definitely not going to help.

Guest nothingfails0603

^ I think it's time Clear Channel loses their grip on telling stations what to play and not to play. Madonna should be revered for staying a current relevant pop artist at 50 instead of being subsided in favor of people who weren't even born when she was in her heyday. Nobody would ever say The Beatles or U2 suck because they aren't as young as Jonas Brothers, I think same should apply to radio

None of this really matters anymore. The money Madonna can make touring will ensure she continues putting out albums even if airplay and sales are minimum. I can see being worried about sales and airplay if it meant an artists survival but Madonna is beyond this now. So why worry? Who even listens to the radio?

Guest nothingfails0603
^^ true but U2 is not having top 40 hits anymore either .. .even a great song they did with Green Day peaked in the 50s...the charts are for young artists we just have to accept it

well, Vertigo was a bigger airplay hit when that came out than Hung Up was (I'm not counting 4M since that airplay was aided by someone who was three years old when Madonna's first hits were on the chart). Rock stations are fixated on their Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance, but still will give a new U2 or Rolling Stones song respect because they're legends who have been around before these new bands were born. Whereas pop radio treats the fact that Madonna was scoring hits before Rihanna and Miley Cyrus were born as if it's something to hold against her, not revere her for.

Guest nothingfails0603
None of this really matters anymore. The money Madonna can make touring will ensure she continues putting out albums even if airplay and sales are minimum. I can see being worried about sales and airplay if it meant an artists survival but Madonna is beyond this now. So why worry? Who even listens to the radio?

well, I for one think it sucks ass that so many great artists from the 60's, 70's and 80's are still around and nobody except the real fans get to hear their new music because radio stations see them as "too old to possibly still make something decent" (oh, imagine if Hollywood did this to Pacino, Nicholson, DeNiro, Hoffman, Eastwood and so forth) and will only play their oldies. Sadly, it's a fate that is happening to Madonna, but I personally dislike it. People like Madge, Donna Summer, Cyndi Lauper, Prince and R.E.M. have all put out songs in the recent past that could've been huge if radio actually looked past their age (even tho radio has no problem spinning ancient songs by these artists, but wants nothing to do with them in the present tense) but sadly only the big fans have heard those songs because radio would rather play played out oldies by these artists Into The Groove, Little Red Corvette and She Works Hard For The Money then giving their new music a chance.

When I got into music in the mid 80's it was all new artists, and from there I developed my taste in music. MTV and the radio were not playing 60's and 70's artists who were still around, it was all new, mostly pop and dance. I don't think it's fair to say kids today should have to listen to a whole bunch of older artists that they probably aren't interested in. Madonna is all over the place and if there's young people who like her style they are bound to find out about her. My HS had Beatles fans etc and they were no longer on the radio.

Guest nothingfails0603
When I got into music in the mid 80's it was all new artists, and from there I developed my taste in music. MTV and the radio were not playing 60's and 70's artists who were still around, it was all new, mostly pop and dance. I don't think it's fair to say kids today should have to listen to a whole bunch of older artists that they probably aren't interested in. Madonna is all over the place and if there's young people who like her style they are bound to find out about her. My HS had Beatles fans etc and they were no longer on the radio.

well, when I think of MTV in the late 80's when I began to watch, I remember people from the 70's like ZZ Top, Aerosmith and KISS were still scoring hits, and even 60's artists like Starship (well, technically a 60's band) and Rolling Stones were getting airplay. Plus you had Cher and Tina and Aretha and so on.... It seemed to be much more openminded to artists over 40 then than it is now where Justin and Beyonce are seen as vets. If a late 40's Tina could score hits in the 80's, why can't a late 40's singer score now? It started in the mid-90's when suddenly age became a factor, until around 1996-ish, nobody cared how old Cher or Tina or Aerosmith were. Then suddenly it became about Britney and teen pop and doors suddenly were closed to older artists outside of the oldies touring circuit, and to me that's BS since most of these 40+ artists are just as good now as they've ever been.

I think a lot of factors come into play besides her age. She's really tested the pacience of radio in recent years (imo DAD was played reluctantly and she then really shot herself in the foot with AL), and Warner doesn't seem to be behind her fully since the start of the Music album. Maybe they take her for granted or maybe they don't care for the music she is making. Now with one foot out the door they aren't going to go out of their way to push for her songs at radio. With Warner behind her and her post- Don't Tell Me singles more radio friendly I think she'd today at least get airplay on par with Fergie and Gwen Stefani. IMO Madonna has been trying to correct some of these issues, but by leaving Warner it's not going to happen fully (though WW Confessions was a big step in the right direction).

Yes, but age IS going to keep a good amount of program directors from adding her to the playlists. There's no way around that one.

Will HC return to the top 100, with all the Turning-50 hubub? Or, maybe it will see a .1% decrease.

Guest presley

Viacom and Warner are with Madonna, US radio belongs to Clear Channel we donated money for bush's presidential campaign, have conservative view and don't care about Madonna. It's all political, that's all

Lawdy, don't start with that nonsense (esp. after Clear Channel was behind the re-Invention Tour).

Solo Madonna on USA radio is no longer the automatic hit it was back in the day, for a few reasons, none least of which is ageism in the USA. Even Hot AC- which even gave "Sorry" a No. 36 peak- didn't touch "Give it 2 Me."

Guest presley

Clear Channel is Pro Bush...even if they would want to play her song they couldn't...The orders from above are for Madonna to not be played... Live Nation was a division of clear channel who was with Madonna, now they are again..

Those creepy (and illogical) conspiracy theories against Madonna are sooooo 2003. Gotta moveo n from it, mr. presley. :)

"4 Minutes" got decent airplay- a good amount of it likely because of Justin Timberlake's involvement. But, Madonna was the lead act, and, really, if there were any kinds of conspiracies against her and potential airplay, it would have happened there, too. But, 4M proved that USA radio just doesn't hagve much desire toget into materail from a 50 year-old female, no matter that it's MADONNA. No older female has enjoyed consistent radio success- look at what happened with Cher after her one-off "Believe"- no USA radio hits followed.

And, now, we join the discussion of Hard Candy on the Billboard 200, already in progress...

Guest presley

"4 Minutes" got decent airplay? Got like 40 million AI whereas other songs that will be long forgotten in time got easily over 120 million AI...mot to mention crap songs...It featured the biggest star of the moment Justin and Madonna, well, the biggest selling female artist ever. And cher please Cher is nothing compared to Madonna. By the way in US television for more than 10 years now u only hear Mariah scary and then Celine dion announced in different shows (like Oprah etc) as the best selling female artists of all time etc..Never heared that about Madonna, the real biggest selling female since she surpassed Barbra streissand...So the US media especially Rupert Murdoch's Fox and other groups ignore Madonna, moreover they talk shit about her and make sure to hide and minimize all her achievements

etc..On all the levels possible, radio, press...culture is all political nowdays, music also