Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Well, the quality doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the sales- keep in kind sales are lower nowadays, too.

If the album's still on the chart by the time the tour hits America (may not be), that could stabilize sales (whereever level they'll be at that point).

Is it safe to say that if it weren't for CT, COADF wouldn't have lasted as long as it did on the BB 200? If memory serves me correct, the album fell off the chart the week after the US leg of the tour was done, no?

The CT more than likely helped COADF stick around the BB 200 as long as it did. The album's 37th and last week on the chart was the one dated 8/12/06 (reflecting the sales week ending 7/30/06)- it scanned 4,837 units at No. 174- its cume stood at 1.527 million.

I'm curious about something. People called Janet's "Discipline" album a flop. Has Hard Candy sold less or more than Discipline? Thanks in advance.

Is it april 1st or something

Guest Danny86
I'm curious about something. People called Janet's "Discipline" album a flop. Has Hard Candy sold less or more than Discipline? Thanks in advance.

Hard Candy sold about 200k more than Discipline.

Hard Candy sold about 200k more than Discipline.

the 200k is in the US. worldwide HC has sold around 1.8 to 1.9 million more than discipline.

Guest Danny86
the 200k is in the US. worldwide HC has sold around 1.8 to 1.9 million more than discipline.

Sure, but I thought the person only wanted to know US sales. :)

Guest jamesshot

At her age, it is no problem if Madonna needs some help to get airplay. If she needs to add a person onto a song to get airplay, so be it. If that is what she wants to do, go for it. As long as we get quality music, I don't care.

I am surprise fans have not warmed to HC. It seems right up their alley( fun songs, very upbeat). Plus a smash hit to boot. GI2M was just the wrong song to release 2nd.

If this album scans more than AL( likely) will WBR bother to recertify it to platinum? I think it could literally scan more than a million and WBR would not recertify it.

I think any track would have had trouble as a second single at radio- maybe "The Beat Goes On" would have done a little better than GI2M (which wouldn't have been hard), with Pharrell and Kanye West on the track- but, it more than likely would not have peaked with half of 4M's airplay.

I expect "Miles Away" to peak with around 1.5 million audience, if that.

Guest jamesshot
I think any track would have had trouble as a second single at radio- maybe "The Beat Goes On" would have done a little better than GI2M (which wouldn't have been hard), with Pharrell and Kanye West on the track- but, it more than likely would not have peaked with half of 4M's airplay.

Its hard to tell really. None of us, except a few, could ever see 4M to do what it did. TBGO doing 20 million would have helped HC quite a bit.

As for MA, ummm, I don't have high hopes. Unless HAC latches onto it with a fury. Again, she should have gone with TBGO. It will be too late once MA is finished.

Guest FuckBuddy
None of us, except a few, could ever see 4M to do what it did.

are u being serious? 4m is the most calculated pop hit of recent years. it was always destined to peak high, that's the sole reason she hired the duo in the first place.

Guest Danny86
are u being serious? 4m is the most calculated pop hit of recent years. it was always destined to peak high, that's the sole reason she hired the duo in the first place.

Many doubted its success, some said Madonna would be ridiculed for "doing R&B as a 50 year old", others expected a chart performance similar to "Me Against The Music".

Oh and pop hits almost always are "calculated", even "Erotica" was, but it backfired. The same goes to the Goldfrapp rip-off in your avatar that failed to become the "surefire no.1" that was predicted by the UK press.

I disagree.

MA is perfect for AC/Hot AC radio. If a couple big stations start spinning it, it will do better than GI2M.

That is, IF Madonna and WBR want to promote it at radio.

guys Hc is not a great album at all.

Hopefully the concert will be good at least better than DWtour

I liked the DWtour, all those Ray of light and Music songs...was great

Not the Reinvention tour so much though

Guest jamesshot
Many doubted its success, some said Madonna would be ridiculed for "doing R&B as a 50 year old", others expected a chart performance similar to "Me Against The Music".

Oh and pop hits almost always are "calculated", even "Erotica" was, but it backfired. The same goes to the Goldfrapp rip-off in your avatar that failed to become the "surefire no.1" that was predicted by the UK press.

Exactly, most of this forum doubted 4M's success. Spot on about all pop hits being calculated. Its like , duh, LOL.

Well, peaking higher than 2m audience (BDS) ain't that much of a chore- but, when talking about later Madonna singles these days, it sure is. "Jump" outdid GT because it was an official radio single at AC/Hot AC, whereas GT was not (outside of dance radio's 7 stations).

NF also was primed for Hot AC, being DTM's cousin- but we know what happened there.

"Sorry" had a top 40 peak at Adult Top 40, yet GI2M came nowhere near it.

Hot AC is one of M's strongest formats, but not when it comes down to later singles these days.

Guest nothingfails0603

the only thing I hate is that US radio is so ageist that Madonna needs a younger artist to do well. Justin's ass was three when "Like A Virgin" was #1, he should be using her for a hit, not vice versa. US Radio is about the only thing that treats longevity and being a vet as a bad thing (compare it to the movie industry where people like Eastwood, Nicholson, Harrison Ford, Deniro, Pacino and the sort are regarded as royalty and still can open movies). Hell, even if Hollywood is a mans game (judging from the names I listed), Meryl Streep is 60 next year and she's starred in two $100+ million smashes in the past two years... which is more than many of the younger actresses that are all over Perez get. I think same should apply to Madonna, she deserves to still get the same respect as she got 10 years ago.

Madonna had accomplished more by the time Justin got out of training wheels than most artists do in their entire careers. US radio should be respecting her for that instead of punishing her because she was a worldwide icon when Justin was going to preschool. I think she should have the upper hand at radio here. Justin wasn't even old enough to vote when ROL was out.

Ed Sadtler for the 8/16 Billboard charts:

Madonna - "Hard Candy" [Gold]

The Billboard 200 - 1*-3-8-9-11-14-31-36-46-57-63-69-85-95

Billboard Comprehensive Albums - 1*-3-8-9-11-14-32-36-47-60-67-73-92-103

Top Digital Albums -1-2-6-11-13-20-23 (off 7-5-08)

Top Internet Albums - 1-4-7-5-7-15-12-23 (off 7-12-08)

Tastemakers - 2*-2-9-12 (off 6/13/07)

Top Canadian Albums - 1*-1-2-2-2-5-7-15-14-13-14-13-15-14

European Top 100 Albums - 1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-4-4-4-4-4-4-7

Are you saying give it 2 me or her look is a Golfrapp ripoff in that video?

The song sounds nothing like a Golfrapp tune, and her look is actually an homage to a famous late sixties fashion photograph. Allison Goldfrapp had NOTHING to do with it.

Guest Danny86
Are you saying give it 2 me or her look is a Golfrapp ripoff in that video?

The song sounds nothing like a Golfrapp tune, and her look is actually an homage to a famous late sixties fashion photograph. Allison Goldfrapp had NOTHING to do with it.

:lol:

I was referring to FuckBuddy's Kylie avatar!

Many other artists have used hit machines like Justin and Timberland to creat hits and have failed. I would say that 4 MINUTES success was a surprise, and the knives were definately being sharpened hoping it would fail.

Truth is, it was a great song. Their voices worked very well together.