Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

well... this 7% gain is based solely on her US arrival and the first night right?

I hope those tales of hearing young and old fans saying how incredible she was converts to HC sales...

As said, the gains, if any, will be limited. Maybe some are too lazy to check out how COADF was impacted by the last tour, so i'll post here. :)

Actually, the biggest % gain COADF saw was 5% duruing the tour's North American run. The biggest decline was 10%.

117 7,797 -19% (1,458,305) 27 - 27- CT starts on last day of tracking week

120 8,112 +4% (1,466,417) 28 - 28- First full-week impact of CT tour starting

111 8,536 +5% (1,474,953) 29 - 29

124 7,675 -10% (1,482,628) 30 - 30

140 7,512 -2% (1,490,140) 31 - 31

135 6,750 -10% (1,496,890) 32 - 32

141 6,558 -3% (1,503,448) 33 - 33

135 6,392 -3% (1,509,840) 34 - 34

138 6,439 +1% (1,516,279) 35 - 36

145 5,782 -10% (1,522,061) 36 - 36- USA tour ends last day of tracking week

174 4,837 -16% (1,526,898) 37 - 37

Guest FrozenLight

Personally I don't care if sales remain the same (or increase or decrease) as long as she can stick around the BB200 a few more weeks

Welcome aboard. HC definitely has the potential so see big increase but that would be wishful thinking - some peoples tours have done great for album sales.

Touring and publicity go hand in hand. M will be all over the music news.

I wonder if there will be an increase in radio playing some of her older stuff.

Thanks.. I think tour-based album bumps work more for minor or up-and-coming artists than with major ones (Ive no data, of course, and could be wrong).. And as for radio, I'm almost giving up on them giving Madonna her due spins..

they had shit loads of Hard Candy cds all over the store .. stacks & stacks.

our local best buy had quite a few recently as well. YOu could tell they ordered a new supply. Plus a nice handful of CONFESSIONS as well.

the weird thing was, they now have the Hard Candy box set thingy, they had 3 of those. This cd has been out since april and this is the FIRST time they've had that. This best buy is notoriously slow in getting the product in. They were the same with the Confessions special set too. It was well into 2006 before they carried it and by then i already purchased it on amazon.

our local best buy had quite a few recently as well. YOu could tell they ordered a new supply. Plus a nice handful of CONFESSIONS as well.

the weird thing was, they now have the Hard Candy box set thingy, they had 3 of those. This cd has been out since april and this is the FIRST time they've had that. This best buy is notoriously slow in getting the product in. They were the same with the Confessions special set too. It was well into 2006 before they carried it and by then i already purchased it on amazon.

well, maybe that´s why Best buy is so cheap, because they don´t have the latest products...

The SoundScan chart was re-run so HC might be higher or lower than #153.

24 WAR 178 183 153 MADONNA HARD CANDY 3,776 +6% 3,575 654,903 (Gold)

great to see another gain this week and another week on the BB200

Guest Joey's Hung Up On Madonna

You know, it actually HAS held up considering the disaster the whole era has turned into (album-wise). And considering how objective I generally am towards Madonna, that's not bias speaking. The fact about th emusic industry is that you have selfish people who make ignorant comments like, "No I don't feel bad that I download because plenty of people buy their records" when the mere fact is that records can't sell for SHIT anymore. And the truth of the matter is that if you want your artist to stick around, you should buy it.

Had this record came out when American Life did, it woudl have sold alot more - It's a fact. Back then a No. 3 hit did get you sales. Now even the biggest artists have to learn how to market themselves to older listeners as well who don't selfishly download music. I am eighteen, but have always bought the records. Even Hole's "My Body, the Hand Grenade" an out-of-print album from Europe I bought. I don't expect people to go as far as to buy out or print items or single that aren't new, but you should buy the album. I have zero respect for people who say "music is my life" but don't have the decency to buy it.

This has NOTHING to do with the quality of Hard Candy, because I have voiced my opinion that I think it's not one of her best. Still, a lot of people didn't think it would surpass American Life, but it will.

Very nice move. Unless there was a lot of differences between the first-run and re-run chart, it really shouldn't be too affected. Plus, that posted chart has Sarah McLachlan at No. 11, so HC's No. 153 rank should be the one.

The gain is pretty in line with past tour-impact activity.

SS has HC as being No. 183 last week- wasn't it 182 on the published BB 200? (not that it matters much)

Guest FrozenLight

Overall I'm satisfied with the chart run of Hard Candy...if it reaches 30+ weeks on the BB200 it would be the cherry on top of the cake