Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

And the album that was #2 to Confessions in its first week...

105 UNDERWOOD*CARRIE SOME HEARTS 7,027 7,029 0 6,471,588

you just made my blood boil... :rant:

From my friend Ed:

Madonna - "Hard Candy" [Gold]

The Billboard 200 - 1*-3-8-9-11-14-31-36-46

Billboard Comprehensive Albums - 1*-3-8-9-11-14-32-36-47

Top Digital Albums -1-2-6-11-13-20-23 (off 7-5-08)

Top Internet Albums - 1-4-7-5-7-15-12-23-off

Tastemakers - 2*-2-9-12 (off 6/13/07)

Top Canadian Albums - 1*-1-2-2-2-5-7-15-14

European Top 100 Albums - 1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-4-N/A

and I hated Carrie Underwood ever since. LOL! Well, it's still on the charts but this doesn't change the fact that this and her latest record are full of generic crappy material. The reason she sells so well is because she harmlessly appeals to the "typical" all american family, from clueless little girls to their grannies and their husbands. I'd take Madonna and her Gold only record over Carrie and her 7xPlatinum any time. Thanks!

and I hated Carrie Underwood ever since. LOL! Well, it's still on the charts but this doesn't change the fact that this and her latest record are full of generic crappy material. The reason she sells so well is because she harmlessly appeals to the "typical" all american family, from clueless little girls to their grannies and their husbands. I'd take Madonna and her Gold only record over Carrie and her 7xPlatinum any time. Thanks!

Madonna has sold over 200,000,000 records in her career. I think there is a bit of room for Carrie.

Madonna has sold over 200,000,000 records in her career. I think there is a bit of room for Carrie.

there is room for everyone .. i'm just puzzled by Carrie's success. Personally I don't "get" her. Obviously many (including some in this board) do.

Oh good, now that it's below #100 it will be removed from the Billboard 200.

so far Gi2me is NOT having any effect on the CD.

And if the downward trend continues on the bb200....Nothing will propel this cd from going PLATINUM> unless some miracle happens with the 3rd single...?.

If HC remains GOLD-she will also have less platinum albums than Barbra S and I think MC will be somewhere close...

Maybe someone here has the most platinum CDs by female artists chart....

And if the downward trend continues on the bb200....Nothing will propel this cd from going PLATINUM> unless some miracle happens with the 3rd single...?.

If HC remains GOLD-she will also have less platinum albums than Barbra S and I think MC will be somewhere close...

Assuming that Madonna cares about her record sales, she FUCKED UP BIG TIME by releasing "Give It 2 Me" as the 2nd single. The catchy "Miles Away" or stellar "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" would have been perfect follow ups. Even "Candy Shop" or "Beat Goes On" would have been better choices.

Madonna KNOWS this.

As for the recording industry not being what it used to be, yes, the glass ceiling is way lower than in 1998. However, if Carrie Underwood can sell over 6 million copies, it's reasonable to say that anyone can do the same. The Eagles did it. With the right promotion and smart choices in what gets sent to radio (not to mention appearances on highly rated shows) a record company can sell records. Madonna was NOWHERE near the debuts of people like Coldplay or Lil' Wayne. Look at the sales of the soundtrack to "High School Musical". Don't tell me that only young people buy CD's. If Madonna wanted to, she would have a bestselling album. Oprah or Ellen would have been more than happy to have her on their respective shows. I think Madonna's fans care more about her record sales than she does.

^Yes, who the hell cares about Carrie Underwood? She has done extremely well with this country album.
I was just pointing out that because I noticed that it wasn't moved to recurrent though it's been out as long as Confessions... honestly! :confused:

Assuming that Madonna cares about her record sales, she FUCKED UP BIG TIME by releasing "Give It 2 Me" as the 2nd single. The catchy "Miles Away" or stellar "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" would have been perfect follow ups. Even "Candy Shop" or "Beat Goes On" would have been better choices.

Madonna KNOWS this.

As for the recording industry not being what it used to be, yes, the glass ceiling is way lower than in 1998. However, if Carrie Underwood can sell over 6 million copies, it's reasonable to say that anyone can do the same. The Eagles did it. With the right promotion and smart choices in what gets sent to radio (not to mention appearances on highly rated shows) a record company can sell records. Madonna was NOWHERE near the debuts of people like Coldplay or Lil' Wayne. Look at the sales of the soundtrack to "High School Musical". Don't tell me that only young people buy CD's. If Madonna wanted to, she would have a bestselling album. Oprah or Ellen would have been more than happy to have her on their respective shows. I think Madonna's fans care more about her record sales than she does.

You really have no clue what you're talking about.

For one thing Madonna does not have control as to when and what singles get released. That would be WB.

It's amazing to me how many people here forget that on a daily basis.

As far as record sales goes, Madonna can sing on every talk show in the U.S, and she still would not be guaranteed mega sales. Comparing her to Carrie Underwood is just bananas. Carrie was coming off the highest rated show ever, and had a bult in audience of loons to buy her music. The Eagles sold cds bundled with dvd players at Wall Mart, which is why they sold so many cds. Radioplay and tv appearances had nothing to do with it.

The sales of Coldplay and Lil Wayne are phenominal, but hardly indicative of most artists. The only way Madonna could (or would) sell 1 million copies in a week, would be if she died that week.

For one thing Madonna does not have control as to when and what singles get released. That would be WB.

Actually, Madonna's contract with Warner does give her control of what gets released and many people here know that, and she is still tied to Warner until she delivers that last gts. hits collection. Her ability to control her releases is why we haven't seen a ton of compilations (like Michael Jackson) on the market for her. She also was the one who decided "Get Together" would be released as the 3rd single from Confessions.

Guest Danny86
Actually, Madonna's contract with Warner does give her control of what gets released and many people here know that, and she is still tied to Warner until she delivers that last gts. hits collection. Her ability to control her releases is why we haven't seen a ton of compilations (like Michael Jackson) on the market for her. She also was the one who decided "Get Together" would be released as the 3rd single from Confessions.

Yes but her influence is more present on the later singles. I know she did not want "Secret", "Frozen" & "4 Minutes" for lead-off singles, but she got her way with "Bedtime Story", "Human Nature", "Drowned World", "Don't Tell Me", "Nothing Fails", "Get Together".

Then again, she lost "Impressive Instant" for the 4th single. So it's safe to say she always has her say, but Warner doesn't always listen.

So now let's guess who decided about "Erotica" & "American Life" for lead-off singles. :demonic:

Unless you have personally read her contract, you have no idea what kind of control she has over singles. I certainly believe WB lets her have a certain amount of leeway, but at the end of the day, they are the ones who have the final say over which singles get released, and their order. She wanted Candy shop, but WB decided it was gonna be 4 minutes.

As far as the greatest hits goes, there's nothing to deliver.

Unless she's recording new tracks for it (which I doubt), all she has to do is make a hit list.

WB can release that whenever they choose.

Starting with this tour Madonna is already with Live Nation.

As far as record sales goes, Madonna can sing on every talk show in the U.S, and she still would not be guaranteed mega sales. Comparing her to Carrie Underwood is just bananas. Carrie was coming off the highest rated show ever, and had a bult in audience of loons to buy her music. The Eagles sold cds bundled with dvd players at Wall Mart, which is why they sold so many cds. Radioplay and tv appearances had nothing to do with it.

The sales of Coldplay and Lil Wayne are phenominal, but hardly indicative of most artists. The only way Madonna could (or would) sell 1 million copies in a week, would be if she died that week.

I do know what I'm talking about. Madonna has a BIG say in which singles get released. Also, I was NOT comparing her to Carrie Underwood. You missed my point entirely, which was, if Madonna wanted to sell more records it's within her power. I don't expect her to sell 6 million copies but, she sure as hell can at least move 1 million units. Hard Candy's sales have been lackluster, considering all the hype of her working with Justin, Pharell and Timbaland months before it's release.

Unless you have personally read her contract, you have no idea what kind of control she has over singles. I certainly believe WB lets her have a certain amount of leeway, but at the end of the day, they are the ones who have the final say over which singles get released, and their order. She wanted Candy shop, but WB decided it was gonna be 4 minutes.

The sources at Drowned Madonna said she took a vote at the Warner offices and "4 Minutes" won. So she does ask for opinions, and if it seems overwhelming, she probably goes with the crowd. I haven't read her contract, but I think if Warner did whatever they wanted, we'd be getting stuff from the vault and compilation upon compilation as they know they could make money on her.

You seem to think you've read her contract, but in reality, you're no more right than I am. :rolleyes:

As far as the greatest hits goes, there's nothing to deliver.

Unless she's recording new tracks for it (which I doubt), all she has to do is make a hit list.

WB can release that whenever they choose.

If that's true then why don't we have the tours on DVD?

i think that if BGO is the 3rd single it will help at least in the us, but i dont know about platinum

The sources at Drowned Madonna said she took a vote at the Warner offices and "4 Minutes" won. So she does ask for opinions, and if it seems overwhelming, she probably goes with the crowd. I haven't read her contract, but I think if Warner did whatever they wanted, we'd be getting stuff from the vault and compilation upon compilation as they know they could make money on her.

You seem to think you've read her contract, but in reality, you're no more right than I am. :rolleyes:

If that's true then why don't we have the tours on DVD?

Was I asleep when Drowned Madonna became the voice of infallable truth aboout Madonna? Sorry, but I trust the President more.

If she had as much control over her singles as you believe, then Candy Shop would have been the first single. WB wanted 4 minutes, and they got 4 minutes.

Your assumption that WB would be releasing compilation after compilation of Madonna material, were it not for her refusal is just speculation.

You're right though, I don't know the ins and outs of her contract, but I can read and make reasonable conclusions. WB owns and controls Madonnas' entire back catalog, so if they wanted too, they could unleash as much of her material as the wished, and they probably will in the near future.

But whatever, it's not that serious.

As for the recording industry not being what it used to be, yes, the glass ceiling is way lower than in 1998. However, if Carrie Underwood can sell over 6 million copies, it's reasonable to say that anyone can do the same.

It's not reasonable to pick the best selling album of recent times and say anyone can do the same. When the glass ceiling was 16 million with Jagged Little Pill (mid 90's) Madonna was normally scoring 2-4 million in sales. Struggling to reach 1 million today, when 6 million is the glass ceiling and America's sweetheart Mariah Carey may not make 2 million, sounds accurate to me. It's only going to get worse, anyway.

Was I asleep when Drowned Madonna became the voice of infallable truth aboout Madonna? Sorry, but I trust the President more.

If she had as much control over her singles as you believe, then Candy Shop would have been the first single. WB wanted 4 minutes, and they got 4 minutes.

Your assumption that WB would be releasing compilation after compilation of Madonna material, were it not for her refusal is just speculation.

You're right though, I don't know the ins and outs of her contract, but I can read and make reasonable conclusions. WB owns and controls Madonnas' entire back catalog, so if they wanted too, they could unleash as much of her material as the wished, and they probably will in the near future.

But whatever, it's not that serious.

Someone has kept an eye on not killing back catalogue (WTG soundtrack off TIC, not repeating many STR tracks on GHV2) and I doubt it was Madonna.

I'm not so sure that she has total control as to what is released. Vogue was originally supposed to be the b-side for Keep It Together but Warners said no way and wanted it released as a single because they felt it was too strong to not be released. M also wanted Impressive Instant released as a single and Warner said no. They wanted Amazing released and wanted a video for it. M said she wouldnt do a video so Warners said they would use concert footage from DWT for the video. Of course M dropped Amazing from the setlist. As far as wheither compilations will start to appear after M is finished with Warners remains to be seen. Personally I think she's responsible for all of the leaks we've gotten over the past few years to make it more difficult for warners to put out compilations of unreleased material. That would be stuff her hardcore fans would want anyway and we already have whats been leaked.

Guest dicktracy

Too bad she couldn't convince them on Impressive Instant....

OK, maybe I or don't have a clue about Madonna and record sales. Either way, I'm VERY surprised that after 9 weeks Hard Candy has only sold 570,000+ copies. And this whole "it's a different sales climate" sounds like a cop out to me. The fact is, there are plenty of artists out there who debut with HIGH numbers like Coldplay & Lil' Wayne, 2 different genres of music. There are artists who manage to sell VERY well, despite this "different sales climate". Look at Mary J. Blige, she's had several weeks where she sold upwards of 700,000 copies.

I'm still mystified that Madonna's album is doing so poorly.

It's not reasonable to pick the best selling album of recent times and say anyone can do the same. When the glass ceiling was 16 million with Jagged Little Pill (mid 90's) Madonna was normally scoring 2-4 million in sales. Struggling to reach 1 million today, when 6 million is the glass ceiling and America's sweetheart Mariah Carey may not make 2 million, sounds accurate to me. It's only going to get worse, anyway.

So true. Madonna always had someone selling more than her, "seasonal phenomenons" or masterpieces. Selling 600K now remains a sad thing, but...

1984 Bruce Springsteen “Born in the U.S.A.” 15×p

1984 Prince “Purple Rain” 13×p

1984 Madonna “Like A Virgin” 10xp

1986 Bon Jovi “Slippery When Wet 12×p

1986 Madonna “True Blue” 7xp

1989 Janet Jackson “Rhythm Nation 1814” 6×p

1989 Madonna “Like A Prayer” 4xp

1990 Garth Brooks “No Fences” 17×p

1990 Madonna “The Immaculate Collection” 10xp

1990 Madonna “I'm Breathless” 2xp

1992 Whitney Houston & V.A. “The Bodyguard” 20×p

1992 Kenny G “Breathless” 12×p

1992 Madonna “Erotica” 2xp

1994 Hootie and the Blowfish “Cracked Rear View” 16xp

1994 TLC “CrazySexyCool” 11xp

1994 Boyz II Men “II” 12×p

1994 Green Day “Dookie” 10xp

1994 The Offspring “Smash” 6xp

1994 Madonna “Bedtime Stories” 3xp

1995 Alanis Morissette “Jagged Little Pill” 17×p

1995 Jewel “Pieces of You” 12xp

1995 Shania Twain “The Woman in Me” 12xp

1995 Mariah Carey “Daydream” 10xp

1995 No Doubt “Tragic Kingdom” 10xp

1995 Madonna “Something To Remember” 3xp

1996 Matchbox Twenty “Yourself or Someone Like You” 12×p

1996 Celine Dion “Falling into You” 11xp

1996 2pac “All Eyez On Me” 9×p

1996 Madonna & V.A. “Evita” 5xp

1998 Garth Brooks “Double Live” 20×p

1998 Dixie Chicks “Wide Open Spaces” 12xp

1998 *NSYNC “*NSYNC” 11xp

1998 Kid Rock “Devil Without a Cause” 11xp

1998 Madonna “Ray Of Light” 4xp

2000 Linkin Park “Hybrid Theory” 16×p

2000 *NSYNC “No Strings Attached” 11xp

2000 Britney Spears “ Oops!… I Did It Again” 10×p

2000 The Beatles “1” 10×p

2000 Madonna “Music” 3xp

2003 Norah Jones “Come Away With Me” 10xp

2003 Madonna “American Life” 1xp

2005 Carrie Underwood “Some Hearts” 7×p

2005 Mariah Carey “The Emancipation Of Mimi” 6xp

2005 Madonna “Confessions On A Dance Floor” 1xp

OK, maybe I or don't have a clue about Madonna and record sales. Either way, I'm VERY surprised that after 9 weeks Hard Candy has only sold 570,000+ copies. And this whole "it's a different sales climate" sounds like a cop out to me. The fact is, there are plenty of artists out there who debut with HIGH numbers like Coldplay & Lil' Wayne, 2 different genres of music. There are artists who manage to sell VERY well, despite this "different sales climate". Look at Mary J. Blige, she's had several weeks where she sold upwards of 700,000 copies.

Mary's album was out at x-mas time. Confessions was aided a lot by being out at x-mas time. Every album benifits by being out at x-mas time. You can't fairly compare HC to albums out at a time when they sell much better, or the best selling album of recent times. What difference does HC sales make anyway? M and Warner are done with eachother, Madonna has a 160 million contract and three albums still to go to bring her to age 60- it's not like we have to worry she won't be able to record anymore. She certainly isn't worried.

Coldplay and Lil Wayne are both newer artists.

People forget this Madonna's 25th year as a music artist.

Just by looking at the Top 50 album sales anyone can see album sales are down.