Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

But she ain't selling 2 million. 1 million is even uncertain.

To be honest, I don't like the album and I'm happy is flopping. Now call me flop fan.

Why do you keep coming back here If your not interested?

Guest Synth

Well hopefully the next album will interest you more. :)

I think we just had high expectations.

For the U.S.

But, I don't think the U.S. market is the only market that matters.

I think the worldwide sales are more important.

Which this album is doing more than great in.

Well hopefully the next album will interest you more. :)

I think we just had high expectations.

For the U.S.

But, I don't think the U.S. market is the only market that matters.

I think the worldwide sales are more important.

Which this album is doing more than great in.

Yeah, hopefully.

I agree, the US is not the only important market.

Because he is NOT a Madonna fan he is a Shitney spears loon, and loves to start drama among Madonna fans.

Oh, you caught me, u so smart :dramatic:

How old are you? "Oh, you caught me, u so smart". GREAT response, if you're 10. All you seem to do is spread negativity about Madonna. You have over 12,000 posts. GET A LIFE. Become a missionary or volunteer at a ASPCA. I don't understand losers like you who WASTE your time on someone you don't like. :wacko:

Guest harbors

Of course, he's smart. n it didnt even take me one second to figure out you're an idiot.

Of course, he's smart. n it didnt even take me one second to figure out you're an idiot.

Now we have something in common, as I also think you're an idiot. alberto, I don't spread negativity I just state the facts. And, I do like Madonna, if you read my 12,000 posts you'd realise. I don't have to like bloody Hard Candy to like her.

Guest harbors
Now we have something in common,

since when? have u lost ur mind AGAIN? I'd ve liked to insult you more, but with your intelligence you wouldn't get offended.

Well I'm going to guess that in a charts forum it's more about the numbers...

Nice to hear from you GT!

I would think the "charts" is for people like me. I love rankings and sales figures.

I get energized with numbers! And to see M flourish on the charts is a real reward for a fan of my character.

Maybe others are about "JUST" the music or the mood of the CD.

Im NOT , I like to have BOTH. I like boasting that my fav singer has a "SOLID HIT ALBUM"

Ive always been a fan of hers-and always will be regardless-but its MUCH MORE DELICIOUS BEING A M FAN DURING A HIT ALBUM THAN NOT> for me anyways.

HOLIDAYGUY & THEBIGHAM ( IMO "GREAT GODS" who tirelessly contribute remarkable data and write excellent commentaries) I think have more MODERATE EXPECTATIONS from M than someone like me.

Thats ok too.

Its NOT me!

Guest beachboi-69
Nice to hear from you GT!

I would think the "charts" is for people like me. I love rankings and sales figures.

I get energized with numbers! And to see M flourish on the charts is a real reward for a fan of my character.

Maybe others are about "JUST" the music or the mood of the CD.

Im NOT , I like to have BOTH. I like boasting that my fav singer has a "SOLID HIT ALBUM"

Ive always been a fan of hers-and always will be regardless-but its MUCH MORE DELICIOUS BEING A M FAN DURING A HIT ALBUM THAN NOT> for me anyways.

HOLIDAYGUY & THEBIGHAM ( IMO "GREAT GODS" who tirelessly contribute remarkable data and write excellent commentaries) I think have more MODERATE EXPECTATIONS from M than someone like me.

Thats ok too.

Its NOT me!

Very well said.... I agree in alot of ways...

Regarding Albums charts... Thats a thing of the past.

It may eventually just become singles. With the artist releasing a collection later with a single.

I hope that made sense... but it's obvious. We buy what we want. We can download and get what we want very quickly.... This is very true with an established artist.. Like Madonna.. She has missed out on many sales for being a household name.

Edited by beachboi-69

Guest beachboi-69

One only needs to look to Rihanna... to see how the market is changing.

Huge singles!... low albums sales... New single and a re-issued album!

Kudos

I've always been a huge fan of the charts, the numbers, the statistics. Seeing Madonna rise up the charts. Each week adding more numbers to her total. Call me a geek, but it's fun stuff!

It's just that the "FLOP" screaming is getting out of control. What does that contribute? The best posters in the chart forum are the ones who actually bring something to the table.

What I've always liked about the charts section is how well it was always organized. But lately, it's becoming a mess. And I don't know if maybe it's just because of an upswing of new posters or because Madonna has a new album out, probably both actually. But all this fighting is making digging through pages and pages in threads to just try and find a chart position really unbearable.

I get the impression some people from the beginning have set out to criticise HARD CANDY. It's obviously a crime of massive proportions that Madonna didn't do another electronic dance album produced by William Orbit/Mirwais/Stuart Price, according to some on this board. Forgive me, I wasn't aware Timbaland and Pharrell are the devil incarnate! :wacko:

Is this current $427 thousand calculating in the Digital album sales too?? It's just odd to see how well "4 Minutes" is doing in sells (including digital) in the U.S., yet the album is yet to catch up to American Life's figures yet.

Yet to catch up to American Life's figures? It's running almost 38,000 ahead of where AL was after 3 weeks. And, as has been explained many times, 4M is not just a Madonna track- so, a good number enjoying it bought it (hence the high sales), but wouldn't necessarily be interested in a Madonna album.

Yet to catch up to American Life's figures? It's running almost 38,000 ahead of where AL was after 3 weeks. And, as has been explained many times, 4M is not just a Madonna track- so, a good number enjoying it bought it (hence the high sales), but wouldn't necessarily be interested in a Madonna album.

Actually, I hadn't really paid attention to the figures regarding the AL and HC albums within 3 weeks of it's release. And you're right, I suspect the reason why "4 Minutes" is doing so well is because it's just not a Madonna track. In fact, one day a local radio station had mentioned "coming up after the break, new Justin Timberlake". I'm like "WTF??" But it's a fact, it sells more if a fresh face kid is on it then the a 50 year old. This is why I think it's probably best if she sticks with the more collaborated songs or the less conventional MADONNA songs as future singles.

Edited by neutrocks

It's just odd to see how well "4 Minutes" is doing in sells (including digital) in the U.S., yet the album is yet to catch up to American Life's figures yet.

American Life had 5 years to scan 670,000. Hard Candy has had 3 weeks. It will get there, trust. :lol:

Actually, I hadn't really paid attention to the figures regarding the AL and HC albums within 3 weeks of it's release. And you're right, I suspect the reason why "4 Minutes" is doing so well is because it's just not a Madonna track. In fact, one day a local radio station had mentioned "coming up after the break, new Justin Timberlake". I'm like "WTF??" But it's a fact, it sells more if a fresh face kid is on it then the a 50 year old. This is why I think it's probably best if she sticks with the more collaborated songs or the less conventional MADONNA songs as future singles.

Thats funny. All the stations around me dont even mention Justin's name when the song comes on.

I've always been a huge fan of the charts, the numbers, the statistics. Seeing Madonna rise up the charts. Each week adding more numbers to her total. Call me a geek, but it's fun stuff!

It's just that the "FLOP" screaming is getting out of control. What does that contribute? The best posters in the chart forum are the ones who actually bring something to the table.

What I've always liked about the charts section is how well it was always organized. But lately, it's becoming a mess. And I don't know if maybe it's just because of an upswing of new posters or because Madonna has a new album out, probably both actually. But all this fighting is making digging through pages and pages in threads to just try and find a chart position really unbearable.

You made cogent points, gt.

And I totally agree. Fighting is NOT fun to read, However, debating is great. Its a M chart forum and we all have our own opinion on HCs sales performance.

I do NOT think because some of us (including myself) make statements on the lackluster performance of HC on BB charts make us less of fans or just negative. I believe when I state its a flop, I mean it from my point-of-view. Im NOT rejecting or impugning others perspectives on HCs performance, Im only debating. NOT FIGHTING.

(Please dont think that Im alluding to you refering to just "me" on your post= Im only giving a general statement.)

I do always appreciate insights and constructive critizism, its what this forum is designed for as long as we remain on the topic of the thread.

Guest nothingfails0603

I noticed Target and Best Buy will both have HC on sale for 9.99 next week, so maybe it'll have a decent fifth week.

The only thing that sucks is that most successful albums now sell in the 10-20k a week box after the initial first few weeks wear off. That happened to Rihanna and Maroon 5. But where HC is at, 10-20k a week would take till Christmas to reach 1 million and that's IF the album has longevity. That is why you need to whore the album when it comes out because the first couple weeks seem to account for about 80% of the cumulative sales nowadays. Mariah was savvy enough to realize that, Madonna didn't.

I like Justin and all, but I do think US radio is in a sad state if Madonna had to team up with somebody who was TWO FUCKING YEARS OLD when she first charted to still get airplay these days. Justin was weening off diapers when Madonna was inspiring countless of teenage girls to wear bracelets and put bows in their hair. Justin should be using Madonna for a hit, not vice versa. I mean, I do think he's got talent, but the fact that he was born in 1981 says it all, Madonna's been accomplishing things since Justin was still wearing diapers.

American Life had 5 years to scan 670,000. Hard Candy has had 3 weeks. It will get there, trust. :lol:

it will get to 670k around end of August max...

Very well said.... I agree in alot of ways...

It may eventually just become singles. With the artist releasing a collection later with a single.

well, it used to be like that during the 50´s and the 60´s...all those motown albums were a collection of old songs plus the singles.It´s quite funny that the sales are going to that place again, but I can understand people only buying the song they hearing on the radio (on the other hand, there are incredible songs that never were singles, so people are going to miss them)

If the only way Madonna can get radio airplay in the U.S is to collaborate with a radio friendly artist like JT or Kanye, you'd wonder about the wisdom of releasing GITM as the 2nd single. Maybe releasing instead TBGO or Dance 2 Nite might have been a better idea?

If the only way Madonna can get radio airplay in the U.S is to collaborate with a radio friendly artist like JT or Kanye, you'd wonder about the wisdom of releasing GITM as the 2nd single. Maybe releasing instead TBGO or Dance 2 Nite might have been a better idea?

I agree: as much as I love GITM, I can´t see it being a modest radio hit. TBGO is a good song, I like it too, and it´s more US friendly (just becuase the rapper is there, yes)