Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

So the theory is that she doesn't promote her album because she has other things to do such as family but will go on tour for months. Something is not right with the theory.

It's called compromise! If Madonna spenat ALL her time on her career, people would accuse her of being a bad mother. The fact is, Madonna fans are lucky she's going on a world tour. The rest of the time she devotes to her family, directing and producing movies, writing books etc, etc. Madonna did not get to where she is by sheer luck. The woman KNOWS what she's doing. That includes knowing that CD sales aren't going to keep her going for the next 10 years. Touring is where it's at.

As for you questioning her career moves, sorry but, I'll bet on Madonna anyday of the week.

It's still possible Madonna will do some TV for 2nd single GI2M. It's bizzare she has done nothing, but a few months from now it may look like a brilliant idea to have let 4M sell itself and then do the proper promo and give the 2nd single the push it will probably need to succeed. We'll have to see, but this could be the idea...?

It's still possible Madonna will do some TV for 2nd single GI2M. It's bizzare she has done nothing, but a few months from now it may look like a brilliant idea to have let 4M sell itself and then do the proper promo and give the 2nd single the push it will probably need to succeed. We'll have to see, but this could be the idea...?

Well isnt she starting her tour in Europe? You would think she would be rehearsing there for the next few months. If thats the case I wouldnt expect to see her back in the states unitl after the summer. :confused:

Guest Bad Robot
Rhianna's Good Girl Gone Bad was released on 6/5/2007....

billboard singles...

Umbrella #1

Shut Up and Drive #15

Hate That I Love You #7

Break It Off #9

Don't Stop The Music # 8

Take A Bow #1

she's performed on numerous talk shows and award shows throughout the past year, won many awards,made non stop videos for the songs, huge airplay support, tv commercials etc. The end result.......

1,204,584 copies sold. Pretty lousy # considering all of the promo she's done. HC has already sold more than 1/3 of that it 3 weeks. Bottom line, constant promotion doesn't = massive album sales. DEAL W/IT!!!!

Break It Off was the last single from her previous album. And Take A Bow is not on the release that's currently available.

Guest Bad Robot
Alex:

I so agree.

And if we say something about HC flopping or underperforming...

we get bashed...and were accused of NOT being fans...

I agree this is pretty ridiculous the way some people here twist chart stats to fit their distorted view. Hard Candy is clearing not doing very well by M's standards. It will probably outsell American Life, but not by very much.

Personally I don't think the album is very good either. I feel like she was trying to make a hit US album, and she ended up with not-so-great material and an underperforming album. The whole project feels like a misfire to me.

At least AL very clearly meant something to M personally. I don't think HC has the ring of much authentic emotion. Perhaps that's why she's not bothering to promote, she doesn't have a lot of personal connection to the music.

Guest moboy
It's called compromise! If Madonna spenat ALL her time on her career, people would accuse her of being a bad mother. The fact is, Madonna fans are lucky she's going on a world tour. The rest of the time she devotes to her family, directing and producing movies, writing books etc, etc. Madonna did not get to where she is by sheer luck. The woman KNOWS what she's doing. That includes knowing that CD sales aren't going to keep her going for the next 10 years. Touring is where it's at.

As for you questioning her career moves, sorry but, I'll bet on Madonna anyday of the week.

A week of promotion is not asking much and would not take much of her time. It's funny how people want to defend her, but there is really not even anything to defend. She cares about it going #1, she said it herself in a recent interview, she said it meant that people are still listening to her...well, if she want's people to listen to the album, then she needs to promote. She has spent time promoting other projects during the same time, so it's not a time issue.

She will be on ABC Nightline to discuss the Documentary.

It's also possible she doesn't want to put in much effort for her last Warner project- the second I heard she was leaving Warner I thought, oh great her next album will just be dumped (Warner may want the album to sell but at the same time why help raise the profile of someone who is leaving?), but then why did she pick popular producers if she is just filling a contract? All very hard to figure out!

Perhapse she will have more interest in moving albums when she is getting half the profits rather than whatever Warner allows her?

^ I agree to a degree. w an album say like ROL (tired, non stimuating album it was to me), she blatantly was feelimg every lyric and the production from that album. head to toe, she couldnt have been more day and night "into" that project vs, today lol. She was ALL over the place, kinda Mimi-esque (tho obviously done in a classier and more refined and selective way), with that returning to her NYC roots special on VH1 (which in '98 was one of the hippest and coolest places to promote new material), that amazing Oprah interview and performamce, etc etc..the overall energy surrounding that project reeked from a woman/artist who LOVED her finished product which she knew was very special. I personally like many more of the tracks on HC than ROL, yet its all personal preference and taste. My concern tho, is she doesnt feel the same way :(

I think she likes Hard Candy! And I think it's a good album. She's kind of in the middle of packing her things at Warner so maybe it's just a weird time. I was thinking maybe she filmed the GI2M video early just to get out quicker?

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy
It's just so weird that you [and others] are so harsh on other artists' flops but when Madonna starts to flop the market is down. It's certainly not coherent.

:lmao:

Guest boytoyville
I agree this is pretty ridiculous the way some people here twist chart stats to fit their distorted view. Hard Candy is clearing not doing very well by M's standards. It will probably outsell American Life, but not by very much.

Personally I don't think the album is very good either. I feel like she was trying to make a hit US album, and she ended up with not-so-great material and an underperforming album. The whole project feels like a misfire to me.

At least AL very clearly meant something to M personally. I don't think HC has the ring of much authentic emotion. Perhaps that's why she's not bothering to promote, she doesn't have a lot of personal connection to the music.

I think she really likes the album & had fun making it. I personally also like it & although it's not smashing records I think that it's performaing respectably. Could it being doing better? Yes,Is it a flop? IMO, I don't think so.

More negativity!

It's getting very tiresome!

I can't believe some people are so hung up over whether HC sells a million copies or not!

I like the album, I'm enjoying listening to it! If it bombs in the U.S, so fucking what?

So Madonna needs to do a week of solid promotion to satisfy the critics on this forum? Oh please!

Perhaps she's at the point in her life when she doesn't care if her album doesn't go double platinum. Let's face it, she's got more money in the bank than she'd ever need, she's happily married, she's got kids to raise, she's an author, she has many other interests in life to pursue!

I think it's a tribute to the lady that she still matters after 25 years! :thumbsup:

Exactly BR:

And whos to say that it might not rebound...but as far as the sales for the 1st 3 weeks. Its dreadful.

and besides, if It was MC falling this bad-I WILL BE GLOATING TILL KINGDOM COMES. But too bad , its Madonna. DAMN IT!

The facts are the facts

Lets just all wait and see how Give It 2 Me does. If that song bombs and the album continues to drop then people can call it a "flop". But my gut tells me that its going to end up doing just fine. Hell, I will even step out on a ledge and say that it WILL scan (not just ship) 1 million units when all is said and done. SO THERE! :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Exactly BR:

And whos to say that it might not rebound...but as far as the sales for the 1st 3 weeks. Its dreadful.

and besides, if It was MC falling this bad-I WILL BE GLOATING TILL KINGDOM COMES. But too bad , its Madonna. DAMN IT!

The facts are the facts

Erm....MC is falling around the same percentage points as Madonna. She was just smart enough to know that most big named artists have to count on big first week sales to sustain them for the first couple weeks which is why she promoted her ass off.

More negativity!

I can't believe some people are so hung up over whether HC sells a million copies or not!

I like the album, I'm enjoying listening to it! If it bombs in the U.S, so fucking what?

So Madonna needs to do a week of solid promotion to satisfy the critics on this forum? Oh please!

Perhaps she's at the point in her life when she doesn't care if her album doesn't go double platinum. Let's face it, she's got more money in the bank than she'd ever need, she's happily married, she's got kids to raise, she's an author, she has many other interests in life to pursue!

I think it's a tribute to the lady that she still matters after 25 years! :thumbsup:

Well said!! To me, it's about the music. Even though American Life "bombed", I loved the record and was thrilled to see her on the Re-Invention Tour. I don't understand how some people can be so OBSESSED with how many copies Madonna sells.

Guest Bad Robot

It's true that Mariah's falls are similar to Madonna.

Mariah:

-61%

-48%

-9%

-33%

Madona:

-66%

-43%

However I think it's pretty unlikely that M will have only a 9% slide this week.

Guest Danny86

Way too much assumption.

American Life was meant to sell just as much as Hard Candy, it was meant to ride the success of the Music album. She only did slightly more promo for it in the USA...

I think Madonna is more obsessed with "Candy Shop" than anything from her last two albums. She just doesn't promote because she said it herself: does not have to rely on record sales.

And the "she was trying to make a hit US album" is tiring now, not only because just a few tracks match that description, but because "4 Minutes" is being a big hit everywhere, and the album is performing the same way in most countries.

the real problem is that some people refuse to accept the fact that as a 50 year old woman and mother of 3 she's not going to do constant promotion that she used to do. she has more important things to worry about now than wheither some of her fans think she's a lazy ass bitch because she doesn't do what THEY WANT OR THINK she should do promotion-wise! If a person can't be happy that her album went to #1 and that her latest single is the biggest hit she's had in years then thats their problem, not hers!

WELL SAID! Personally,I think Madonna is simply bored with the whole process of promoting an album.....going on those stupid chat shows,putting on a fake smile while answering the same dumb questions over and over and over and over (look how bored she looked on 106th and Park).She's been doing this for over 26 years and by now,it's gotta be extremely boring for her,dontcha think? Madonna has nothing to prove.She doesn't have to go around whoring herself just to sell a few more copies of an album.Even without alot of promotional effort on her part,'Hard Candy' still went to Number One in 27 countries and the lead single "4 Minutes" became her biggest hit in years.Furthermore,there's a TOUR on the way (which means alot more to me than a bunch of predictable TV appearances).If some of her fans aren't satisfied with what's she's giving us,then that's too bad.This ain't the 80s anymore.She's a married woman with three kids and she's now approaching 50.We can't expect her to do all the things she used to do.There are more important things in life than record sales,anyway.If you have the CD and you enjoy it,that's all that matters.

Edited by SkyHigh76

More negativity!

THANK YOU! I hope everybody reads your post.I have the CD,I enjoy it and that's all I care about.I don't even get excited about TV appearances anymore.For me,it's all about the music and the enjoyment I get from it.I don't see why so many fans *NEED* to see Madonna on every TV show,whoring herself just to sell CDs.Does that make them enjoy the music more?! I don't think Madonna is obsessed with record sales anymore.She knows that touring is more important and much more lucrative anyway."Thank God I don't have to rely on record sales",she recently said."I know how to put on a show".That says it all!

i think Madonna

is basically fullfilling her contract

so she

is doing

the promotion stipulated in her contract

she made sure to use up Warner's money for the Top producers

and that's it.....

she isn't doing that much....because i think

she wants to save

THE MAJOR PROMOTION and BIG VIDEO's and AMAZING PRODUCTIONS..

to prove all her critics wrong with her new DEAL with LIVE NATION

remember it's a 50/50 deal

don't you think she wants the most out of that?

jus my thoughts......but i think i'm dead on.

First of all,'Hard Candy' is doing okay by today's standards.When you factor is several things (Madonna's age,how long she's been around,illegal downloading,the state of the music industry right now) the album is FAR from the flop that you make it out to be.These days,selling nearly 300k in the US during the first week is an accomplishment.Janet certainly couldn't do that.A 49-year old artist with a Top 10 hit single is a rarity in the US,as well.So let's stop it with this 'Hard Candy is not doing well" nonsense,okay?

As for the "authentic emotion" that you feel is lacking from Hard Candy.....a few of the songs ("Miles Away","Incredible") are obviously very personal,dealing with her marriage to Guy."Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" is another song that clearly means alot to Madonna.She wrote it several years ago for a musical that she wrote.Needless to say,she obviously has a personal connection to the song and the lyrics.

Since you're assuming so many things,here's my assumption: Perhaps she simply wants to wait until she's on tour to give these songs the focus,attention and promotion they deserve? As opposed to going on a bunch of stupid chat shows to explain the songs? Did you ever consider that?

First of all,'Hard Candy' is doing okay by today's standards.When you factor is several things (Madonna's age,how long she's been around,illegal downloading,the state of the music industry right now) the album is FAR from the flop that you make it out to be.These days,selling nearly 300k in the US during the first week is an accomplishment.Janet certainly couldn't do that.A 49-year old artist with a Top 10 hit single is a rarity in the US,as well.So let's stop it with this 'Hard Candy is not doing well" nonsense,okay?

As for the "authentic emotion" that you feel is lacking from Hard Candy.....a few of the songs ("Miles Away","Incredible") are obviously very personal,dealing with her marriage to Guy."Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" is another song that clearly means alot to Madonna.She wrote it several years ago for a musical that she wrote.Needless to say,she obviously has a personal connection to the song and the lyrics.

Since you're assuming so many things,here's my assumption: Perhaps she simply wants to wait until she's on tour to give these songs the focus,attention and promotion they deserve? As opposed to going on a bunch of stupid chat shows to explain the songs? Did you ever consider that?

I agree with Bad Robot.

Emotions aside, the CD is underperforming. In my opinion part of the reason is because it's not a great Madonna CD. On the other hand, given the state of the market and the fact she is 50-year old pop-star, it's not doing all that bad either.

But from the way she talks about it and from the way she has talked about her previous records, I don't think she's feeling this one - of course this is only a speculation.

At least the first single, 4M, is a smash - by all standards - and one of the biggest songs of the year so far.

Edited by dimfanis

I can understand someone labeling HC- thus far- a commercial disappointment. I'm not all that concerned with how Madonna fares in the long run like I once was. To look on the positive side, she remains a commercial player (still commanding decent openings, especially without much in the way of high-profile television appearances/performances, etc.) Look how fellow "diva" janet J. is faring, after all- everything's relative.

4M probably won't have dramatic effects on USA radio playing a Madonna track, but it's definitely done very well.