Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_dis...f1d6bf1d1061065

• Last week's No. 1, Madonna's "Hard Candy," falls to No. 3, shifting 94,000 -- with a not-so-sweet 66% decline. That's the third-largest second-week percentage drop for a No. 1-debuting album this year. DAY26's self-titled set (down 73% in its second week) and Janet Jackson's "Discipline" (down 68%) posted bigger erosions. Here is a quick rundown of 2008's No. 1 debuts and their sophomore-frame drops: Mariah Carey's "E=MC2" (61%), Leona Lewis' "Spirit" (54%), George Strait's "Troubadour" (65%), DAY26's "DAY26" (73%), Danity Kane's "Welcome to the Dollhouse" (62%), Rick Ross' "Trilla" (54%), Alan Jackson's "Good Time" (55%), Janet Jackson's "Discipline" (68%) and Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static" (52%).

Guest tir69

If I remember well last week the difference was around 3000 copies , now is +11000 copies , I think it's too much

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_dis...f1d6bf1d1061065

• Last week's No. 1, Madonna's "Hard Candy," falls to No. 3, shifting 94,000 -- with a not-so-sweet 66% decline. That's the third-largest second-week percentage drop for a No. 1-debuting album this year. DAY26's self-titled set (down 73% in its second week) and Janet Jackson's "Discipline" (down 68%) posted bigger erosions. Here is a quick rundown of 2008's No. 1 debuts and their sophomore-frame drops: Mariah Carey's "E=MC2" (61%), Leona Lewis' "Spirit" (54%), George Strait's "Troubadour" (65%), DAY26's "DAY26" (73%), Danity Kane's "Welcome to the Dollhouse" (62%), Rick Ross' "Trilla" (54%), Alan Jackson's "Good Time" (55%), Janet Jackson's "Discipline" (68%) and Jack Johnson's "Sleep Through the Static" (52%).

it's better then what hits reported. go check out mariah's fans on the pulse board. all celebrating mariah's defeat over ciccone. a premature party, wouldn't you say? her fans have the same 12-year old mentality as she does.

anyway, let mariah sells those $10 albums. ciccone can sell her $350 concert tickets. which would you choose? a no-brainer!

Thank God I don't have to rely on album sales. I know how to put on a show!

-ciccone

:vanitybonet:

If I remember well last week the difference was around 3000 copies , now is +11000 copies , I think it's too much

that's normal... there have been times when it was larger than 11k...

bottomline, both are not perfect and both are sometimes way off...

anyway, let mariah sells those $10 albums. ciccone can sell her $350 concert tickets. which would you choose? a no-brainer!

So we should be happy to pay more money? That's ridiculous! I rather buy a cheaper ticket. Thanks.

The second-week tally ended up higher than AL's 2nd-week tally- and that's what has to be looked at. :) Can't really go by 4M's success, as it's not a Maodnna-only single- likely, a good number of people who like the song wouldn't buy or be interested (at this point) in a Madonna album.

I love how they report M. as having the third-largest drop of the year, like it's HORRIBLE news, and then they post the other #1 drops, and most of them, including Mariah, are also in the 60-70% range.

Billboard.com:

Diamond Dominates Billboard 200 With First No. 1

May 14, 2008, 10:25 AM ET

by Katie Hasty, N.Y.

In another busy week in the top tier of The Billboard 200, Neil Diamond's "Home Before Dark" zooms in at No. 1, becoming his first chart-topping album. The Columbia set got a big plug when Diamond appeared on "American Idol" two weeks ago, bolstering its 146,000 first-week U.S. sales, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The Rick Rubin-produced "Home" is Diamond's biggest debut sales week since SoundScan began tracking in 1991. He first appeared on Billboard's charts in 1966 with "The Feel of Neil Diamond"; the closest he ever got to No. 1 was with the 1973 soundtrack to "Jonathan Livingston Seagull," which reached No. 2.

With 103,000 units, Toby Keith's double-disc collection "35 Biggest Hits" (Show Dog Nashville) bows at No. 2. The country star has scored three prior No. 1 albums and two No. 2s.

Meanwhile, Madonna's "Hard Candy" (Warner Bros.) falls from the top slot to No. 3, moving 94,000 with a 66% slip. "American Idol" star Clay Aiken debuts at No. 4 with "On My Way Here" (RCA), with a slightly less total than "Hard Candy." Aiken's last studio album, 2006's "A Thousand Different Ways," started at No. 2 with the much larger sum of 211,000.

Mariah Carey's Island Def Jam album "E=MC2" continues its decline 2-5 with 87,000 (-9%), and Leona Lewis' "Spirit" (Syco/J) slips 3-6 with 76,000 (-10%).

Gavin DeGraw's self-titled sophomore effort from J Records climbs on board at No. 7 with 66,000. Interest was spurred by the single "In Love with a Girl," which has peaked at No. 34 thus far on the Hot 100. "Gavin DeGraw" easily trumps the No. 103 peak of 2004's "Chariot" and the subsequent entry of "Chariot -- Stripped" at No. 56.

Josh Groban's concert CD/DVD "Awake Live" (Reprise) starts at No. 8 with 58,000, his seventh album to chart on The Billboard 200. Another country mainstay scores a top 10 spot with a hits collection, as Dierks Bentley's "Greatest Hits: Every Mile a Memory" (Capitol Nashville) opens at No. 9 with 43,000. His most recent studio album, "Long Trip Home," peaked at No. 5 in 2006.

Latin superstar Luis Miguel claims his highest charting album ever, as "Complices" takes a bow at No. 10 with 32,000. "Complices" (Warner Music Latina) also gives Miguel his eighth No. 1 on the Top Latin Albums chart -- the most of any artist in the history of the list.

Back on the 200, Tye Tribbett & G.A.'s "Stand Out" (Columbia) stands out with a No. 16 debut (26,000), and German rock troupe Tokio Hotel's "Scream" (Interscope) enters at No. 39 with 16,000.

Album sales this week are up 6.9% from last week's sum with 8.12 million units and down 4.6% from the same week last year.

So we should be happy to pay more money? That's ridiculous! I rather buy a cheaper ticket. Thanks.

there is a bunch of brain-dead fucks on this board. what are u an idiot or a moron? i am talking about ciccone being happier selling a concert ticket rather then an album, you ridiculous poltroon!

The second-week tally ended up higher than AL's 2nd-week tally- and that's what has to be looked at. :)Can't really go by 4M's success, as it's not a Maodnna-only single- likely, a good number of people who like the song wouldn't buy or be interested (at this point) in a Madonna album.

So , HG...

If 4M cant generate decent sales for HC? What single would? gi2me?

In the USA? I dunno- GI2M may not do all that much for it, unless pop really gives it a decent shot (not anywhere near 4M-like airplay at pop, mind you).

For me, the key is for it to outscan American Life, which stands at almost 673,000 in the USA. I don't see HC getting near COADF's 1.67m haul.

#3 is good and she's ahead of Clay Aiken! :thumbsup:

So, she's sold about 375k so far? That's not too bad but the key is longivety and she HAS to outsell American Life, that album set the bar pretty low and while I don't see it selling more than COAD if she can do at least 1M then that is a respectable amount.

Guest boytoyville

I'm sure part of what made the difference was thousands of fullfilled amazon shipments. Sometimes albums take over a week if you pick the supersaver shipping & the sale only counts once shipment is completed. Also mind you that Madonna unlike Mariah did not have her album sale priced 3 weeks in a row and major outlets. There is a big difference between 9.99 & 13.99. Madge is doing really decent numbers!