die another day #8

american life #37

me against the music #35

hung up #7

sorry #58

4 minutes #3

her 5th top 10 3rd top 5 in 8 years...

Guest ercos

i sure hope the downloads hasnt peaked but possibly it has, both for 4 Minutes and TMB...

well, its was truly an exciting week for all of us. it was a good fight and we can say that mariah fans have certainly exhausted their cents just to have mariah break the tie BUT NOT THE RECORD,

for Madonna, well see on its second week. Now that the video will be released on April 4, then expect her to be #1...

Edited by ercos

I hope 4M can maintain decent sales over the coming weeks and continue selling between 150 and 200k with airplay hopefully still rising. I think it has a chance at No.1 over the next 2-3 weeks because I'm sure Mariah's sales numbers will drop significantly next week and beyond.

F*ck! I forgot the streaming!!!! The good thing is that Usher's sales will fall more gradually.. SO Mariah is the only problem... So close to no1:( And the other big question, Is this Madonna's sales peak????

don't bet on USHER downloads to fall anytime soon... it's rising fast in airplay as CHRIS BROWN is paving the way...

as for LEONA, well she is surging ahead, must be her recent promo

as for MARIAH, it will drop below 200K for sure next week... it's freefalling on various download sites, as predicted, a 1-week at the #1 mission is all the lambs need...

unless the video for 4M does any wonders, it will be out of the TOP 5 next week... but because of intense airplay showing from TMB, LITC, SCI

Guest Bad Robot

Wow! Amazing sales for Madonna.

#3 is huge! In the past 15 years, only 3 Madonna songs have performed better:

Take A Bow #1

Frozen #2

Music #1

This may be her highest Soundscan week for any single ever as well. Music never broke 200k in a single week. It will probably end up being her best selling single since Vogue.

Guest ercos
:dramatic::janetflop:

Floppita.jpg

Total Sales After 5 Weeks: 316,809

* Based on HITS figure.

poor janet. her last album is even a flop. why cant her fans support her????

I hope 4M can maintain decent sales over the coming weeks and continue selling between 150 and 200k with airplay hopefully still rising. I think it has a chance at No.1 over the next 2-3 weeks because I'm sure Mariah's sales numbers will drop significantly next week and beyond.

we can only count on it the week after her AI appearance... we still don't know how much it would boost her sales again

Hopefully Madge will have a nice long run in the Top 10.

Trivia: Gimme More jumped 68-3 roughly six months ago, and that was also her highest peaking single since a #1 8 years ago :p Hopefully 4M won't fall like GM though.

Guest ercos

4Minutes really need to muscle up its AI (aside from strong downloads). Songs such as LITC, TMB, WI, and SCI still are tops in all formats and 4M is still indeed weak in the Urban formats.

well, the second week has begun - and here comes the second round bout....

Trivia: Gimme More jumped 68-3 roughly six months ago, and that was also her highest peaking single since a #1 8 years ago :p Hopefully 4M won't fall like GM though.

really?!?!?! sorry i wasn't following anyone else's career other than MADONNA's real chart competitors... :shy:

ARTISTS WITH THE MOST TOP 10 SINGLES ON THE HOT 100

1. Madonna (37)

2. Elvis Presley (36)

3. The Beatles (34)

4. Stevie Wonder (28)

4. Michael Jackson (28)

6. Janet Jackson (27)

6. Elton John (27)

8. Mariah Carey (26)

9. Whitney Houston (23)

9. The Rolling Stones (23)

11. Paul McCartney (22)

12. George Michael (21) includes Wham!

13. Chicago (20)

13. The Supremes (20)

FEMALE ARTISTS WITH THE MOST TOP 10 SINGLES ON THE HOT 100

1. Madonna (37)

2. Janet Jackson (27)

3. Mariah Carey (26)

4. Whitney Houston (23)

5. Cher (18)

5. Diana Ross (18)

7. Aretha Franklin (17)

8. Connie Francis (15)

8. Olivia Newton-John (15)

10. Donna Summer (14)

MOST #1s ON THE HOT 100

1. The Beatles 20

2. Mariah Carey 18

3. Elvis Presley 17

4. Michael Jackson 13

5. Madonna 12

5. The Supremes 12

7. Whitney Houston 11

8. Janet Jackson 10

8. George Michael 10 (includes Wham!)

Guest canycgirl4452859704

]

guys don't forget the beach boys also have 12 #1 singles on the billboard hot 100 between 1964-1988

Billboard.com:

Day26 Upends Danity Kane To Debut At No. 1

April 02, 2008, 11:00 AM ET

by Katie Hasty, N.Y.

One "Making the Band" act replaces another at the summit of The Billboard 200, as Day26's self-titled debut bumps Danity Kane's "Welcome to the Dollhouse" from No. 1.

The new Bad Boy album moved 190,000 copies this week, according to Nielsen SoundScan, a marked decline from Danity Kane's 236,000-copy start last week. Day26 is the first new male group to open at No. 1 since 2001, when D12 bowed on top with "Devil's Night." It's also the highest bow for a debut album by a group since Danity Kane's eponymous first set started at No. 1 in 2006.

Meanwhile, "Dollhouse" falls 1-4 with 89,000, a 62% sales decrease. Panic At The Disco's sophomore set, "Pretty. Odd." (Fueled by Ramen/Atlantic), enters at No. 2 with 139,000. That easily trumps the group's previous best sales week, when "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out" moved 45,000 during Christmas week in 2006.

Counting Crows returns to the big chart at No. 3 with "Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings," their first studio album in six years. The Geffen album sold 106,000 and is the veteran rock band's highest charting record since "Recovering the Satellites" bowed at No. 1 in 1996. The band's last studio set, "Hard Candy," opened at No. 5 with 138,000 in 2002.

The multi-label "NOW 27" compilation continues its decline 2-5 with 67,000 (-61%), and Rick Ross' "Trilla" (Slip-N-Slide/Def Jam) follows suit, slipping 3-6 with 51,000 (-43%).

The surprise album from the Raconteurs, "Consolers of the Lonely," starts at No. 7 with 42,000. As previously reported, the existence of Third Man/Warner Bros. set wasn't announced until March 18, a week before street date. The band's 2006 debut, "Broken Boy Soldiers," started No. 7 with 61,000.

Jack Johnson's Brushfire album "Sleep Through the Static" descends 5-8 with a 45% decrease to 37,000, and Flo Rida's debut album, "Mail on Sunday" (Poe Boy/Atlantic), falls 4-9 with 34,000 (-61%). Sara Bareilles' "Little Voice" (Epic) has a 43% sales loss with 31,000 and drops 9-10.

The B-52's return to The Billboard 200 with their first studio album in nearly 16 years this week, as "Funplex" (Astralwerks) bows at No. 11 with 30,000. The band's last studio effort, "Good Stuff," peaked at No. 16 in July 1992.

Other debuts this week include the Enrique Iglesias compilation "95/08 Exitos" (Universal Latino) at No. 18 with 22,000, Sony's "WWE: The Music Volume 8" at No. 24 with 17,000 and Simon & Garfunkel's Starbucks exclusive concert set "Live 1969" (Columbia/Legacy) at No. 33 with 16,000.

Album sales this week are down 12.7% compared to last week at 7.71 million and down 15.6% against the same week in 2007.

HITS:

STRAIT UP, NO CHASER

Veteran MCA Nashville Country Star’s Latest Looks Like Another Chart-Topper, R.E.M. Eyes #2

April 2, 2008

MCA Nashville country star George Strait knows what it’s like to have his albums top the country charts, which he’s done 18 times in his career, the last five in a row.

His new Tony Brown-produced effort Troubadour will be his fourth to top the HITS Album Sales chart, and first since Somewhere Down in Texas, with a total that should be between 160-170k. Somewhere Down in Texas debuted with 242k in sales in July, 2005.

R.E.M.’s new Warner Bros. album Accelerate, being touted as a return to their early, rock days, looks on target for between 90-100k, which may well be good enough for #2, but is definitely Top 5.

Other chart debuts will be registered by Slip-N-Slide/EMI’s Trina (45-50k); Interscope’s soundtrack to the Martin Scorsese-directed Rolling Stones concert movie, Shine a Light (35k, but could go more with this weekend’s opening); Asylum veteran alternametal rockers Sevendust’s Chapter VII: Hope and Sorrow (35-40k); Lost Highway legend Van Morrison’s Keep It Simple (35k, giving Universal Nashville chief Luke Lewis another chart entry alongside Strait); George Michael’s Sony Legacy greatest hits package Twenty Five (25k) and 604/Roadrunner British Columbia rockers (and Chad Kroeger signing) Theory of a Deadman’s Scars and Souvenirs (20-25k).

The overall market was down 13% vs. last week’s Easter rush, down 16% vs. same week last year and now down 11% to date.

:catty:

nymag.com

4/2/08

02_dancingelvis_lg.jpg

Madonna and Mariah Carey Dethrone Elvis

Gays rejoice! Diva foes Mariah Carey and Madonna have made pop-chart history, sadly peeing on Elvis's grave in the process! With Carey's "Touch My Body" reaching No. 1 this week on the Billboard Hot 100, Mimi has now secured the most No. 1 singles ever, trumping the King's record; with "4 Minutes to Save the World" arriving at No. 3, Madge now holds the record for the most top-ten singles, also trashing Elvis's benchmark. Not so fast, though. It's a hollow victory, and not just because it would require a séance or some god-awful remixed "duet" with Lisa Marie for Elvis to regain supremacy. Sadly, the Ladies Carey and Ciccone-Ritchie set their astounding records with calculated ditties that happen to be their most derivative, disappointing ever.

Mariah: A YouTube reference and Jack McBrayer in the video can't really disguise that "Touch" is an overly carbonated retread of "Always Be My Baby," Mariah's now ten-year-old, post–Tommy Mottola proclamation of sexual freedom. We get it, Mimi: jean shorts bad, stilettos and bikinis good. How about you use more of those eight octaves you got?

As for Madonna's "4 Minutes to Save the World": Isn't hiring Timbaland to hip up your songs very 2005? Hell, at this point we think Tim's produced a song on our debut. Did Madge learn nothing when she hired Babyface to get more "urban" in the nineties? Madge, if you're going to glom off some producer-of-the-moment — which you usually do in a more precocious, visionary way à la Mirwais, William Orbit, etc. — we really would prefer you work with Mark Ronson. And isn't JT young enough to be your kid? For shame, ladies, for shame.

—Justin Ravitz

e! news

We Belong Together: Mariah & Madonna Eject Elvis

By David Jenison

Wed, 2 Apr 2008 10:21:57 AM PDT

285.carey.madonna.presley.040208.jpg

It's not a good day to be King.

Mariah Carey and Madonna have both made chart history at Elvis Presley's expense. For decades, Elvis owned the record for most No. 1 singles by a solo artist and most Top 10 hits in the 50-year history of Billboard's Hot 100, but on Wednesday the King lost two of his prized jewels.

Carey passed Presley as "Touch My Body," the lead single from her new E=MC2, leapt 14 spots, giving the singer her 18th No. 1.

Carey, who has been dominating the Hot 100 since her 1990 debut, tied Presley's mark with back-to-back chart-toppers "We Belong Together" and "Don't Forget About Us" from her 2005 comeback album The Emancipation of Mimi. She now only trails the Beatles, who notched 20 No. 1s (in just seven years), but the milestone is well within her reach.

"Touch My Body," which rocketed to the top after becoming available as a retail single, also set a new digital sales record, with 286,000 downloads in its debut. That tops Rihanna's previous record of 277,000 first-week downloads for "Umbrella." (Flo Rida still holds the all-around record, selling 470,000 digital copies of "Low" in a nondebuting week in early January.) Mariah's hit also benefited from a radio audience that exceeded 115 million.

Fortunately for Elvis aficionados, the King still has an edge in the most total weeks at No. 1. His hits reigned a total of 80 weeks during his three-decade career, though Mariah is closing in fast at 78 weeks.

Meanwhile, the King of Rock 'n' Roll was usurped by the Queen of Pop in the area of Top 10 singles. In 2005, the pop singer scored her 36th Top 10 hit with "Hung Up," tying Elvis' record, but her new "4 Minutes" jumped 65 spots to No. 3 this week, giving her sole possession of the record books with 37. A duet with Justin Timberlake, "4 Minutes," also benefited from a huge sales week, moving 217,000 digital copies.

Fittingly, Mariah and Madonna combined to set another milestone. Both singles entered the digital charts selling more than 200,000 digital copies apiece, the first time two singles have accomplished this feat.

Since launching her recording career in 1982, Madonna has had 53 singles crack the Hot 100, but "4 Minutes" is only her second to feature a guest vocalist. The previous instance was 2003's "Me Against the Music" with Britney Spears, shortly after she and Timberlake split.

The Hot 100, established in the summer of 1958, combines radio airplay and retail song sales. "Touch My Body" and "4 Minutes" made their retail debuts last week, which led to their considerable rise on the charts. ("4 Minutes" was available earlier as a Verizon exclusive, but it didn't make a big impact until its national debut.)

Despite their head-to-head matchup on the singles sales chart, Mariah and Madonna are bypassing a Kanye-Fiddy matchup with their albums. Mariah's E=MC2 comes out April 15, while the Material One's Hard Candy drops two weeks later.