"4 Minutes" on the Billboard Charts

thebigham

Guest Puffy

So you're saying that she won't have a #1, and it will most likely be because of MIMI?

Why the hell doesn't M do Oprah like usual, OR American Idol? IS she not aware that that show's the biggest ever?

She's doing NO promo, so I don't see her song even DESERVES a #1.

So, 4 Minutes will be No.2 on Billboard Hot 100 next week?? :vanitybonet:

just as point of comparison :

This week's #5 song has around 60M AI and sales of 108K.

Let's say 4M reaches only 32M AI by tuesday, she'll need 150K to 160k downloads to have a shot at #5 (or at least top10) on next weeks BB Hot 100!

Is that possible?

Chart Beat at Billboard.com:

THIS ONE'S '4' YOU: We are seven months away from the 25th anniversary of Madonna's debut on the Hot 100. Her chart life began the week of Oct. 29, 1983, with "Holiday." This week, she scores the 53rd entry of her career with "4 Minutes" (Warner Bros.), only her second single to share billing with another artist.

Madonna's first shared credit was "Me Against the Music," the 2003 single that was billed as Britney Spears featuring Madonna. "4 Minutes" is credited to Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake.

"4 Minutes" enters at No. 68 and is Madonna's first chart entry in two years. She was last on the Hot 100 with "Sorry," a single that peaked at No. 58 in March 2006.

If "4 Minutes" becomes Madonna's 13th No. 1 on the Hot 100, the song will be only the second chart-topper in the chart's history to start with the digit "4." The first was "4 Seasons of Loneliness" by Boyz II Men in 1997. The most recent Hot 100 title to start with the digit "4" was Gwen Stefani's "4 in the Morning," which peaked at No. 54 in August 2007. A different song called "4 Minutes" was a No. 52 hit for Avant in May 2006.

THIS ONE'S '4' YOU: We are seven months away from the 25th anniversary of Madonna's debut on the Hot 100. Her chart life began the week of Oct. 29, 1983, with "Holiday." This week, she scores the 53rd entry of her career with "4 Minutes" (Warner Bros.), only her second single to share billing with another artist.

Madonna's first shared credit was "Me Against the Music," the 2003 single that was billed as Britney Spears featuring Madonna. "4 Minutes" is credited to Madonna featuring Justin Timberlake.

"4 Minutes" enters at No. 68 and is Madonna's first chart entry in two years. She was last on the Hot 100 with "Sorry," a single that peaked at No. 58 in March 2006.

If "4 Minutes" becomes Madonna's 13th No. 1 on the Hot 100, the song will be only the second chart-topper in the chart's history to start with the digit "4." The first was "4 Seasons of Loneliness" by Boyz II Men in 1997. The most recent Hot 100 title to start with the digit "4" was Gwen Stefani's "4 in the Morning," which peaked at No. 54 in August 2007. A different song called "4 Minutes" was a No. 52 hit for Avant in May 2006.

If "4 Minutes" becomes Madonna's 13th No. 1 on the Hot 100, the song will be only the second chart-topper in the chart's history to start with the digit "4.".

let's hope it does get to #1!

Guest Puffy

Mayyybe if she'd get out there and do some PROMO, this song would chart better?

I mean she's literally doing NOTHING.

What is she really doing? calling radio stations?

Going to the gym and wearing weird white ER hospital infectious disease outfits? :electropop:

I mean come ON.

You wanna win over LA??

GO TO LA and act like you CARE! Jeez, its not that hard.

SHe's a multi millionaire. She cant afford to fly to KISS FM for promo? God.

I'm hoping that Madonna and her camp just considered this first two weeks a "preliminary" period, and that they plan to go on a media publicity attack come the start April. After seeing the strong reception 4M is getting on its own, they'd have to be absolute insane to not do all that they can now to help it peak as high as it could possibly go. Even though it's clear that a Madonna/Timberlake/Timbaland song can sell itself, I hate to say it but they almost need to pull a Mariah here and exploit it for all its worth. Why settle for gold, when doing a little more could mean platinum? Why settle for a #3 when doing a little more could mean #1?

Edited by Etips

Guest Bad Robot
I think WB and M are busy counting $ that comes from however many downloads this gets total and will think about what #1 means to them, if anything, 2nd.

This is probably more or less true -- I don't think Madonna/WB have ever cared about the charts as much as the fans (or Mariah) have cared about them.

Musical legacies are rarely remembered in chart terms anyway. Impact doesn't always line up with the charts.

The song "Thriller," from the biggest album of all time, with perhaps the most well-known video of all time, stopped at #4 for example. I'd hardly say that's a less memorable song than "Heartbreaker."

Leona Lewis did 219K last week- she'll slip some this week, as the top 2 could top 200K each!

The charts are just about initial popularity (which sometimes is manipulated, but all acts/labels play the chart game at one time or another). We know that Mimi is lacking in the artist department compared to some others, so, yah, her legacy for the most part is the chart success.

I think WB and M are busy counting $ that comes from however many downloads this gets total and will think about what #1 means to them, if anything, 2nd.

very true. it they waited two or three leeks longer they would lose 300 - 400K in sales - warner needs every dime it can get.

btw, warner music is practically broke - so as far as promo, madonna has had to do everything herself. she has called into the biggest record stations (costs warner nothing), magazine covers (costs warner nothing) and will do a mini 3 date tour (this may be sponsored by the places it will be held). she also did peripheral promotion in advance to get her face/music back out there - the sunsilk commercials, she leveraged the rock and roll hall of fame induction, and chaired the unicef party. warners major expense was a table at the rock and roll hall of fame reception and the video - it is their money to lose by doing nothing - they will make money on the single/album/ringtone only. of course we are only 13-14 days into the song so they may actually by some itune front page ad and in store promotions - but don't hold your breath.

very true. it they waited two or three leeks longer they would lose 300 - 400K in sales - warner needs every dime it can get.

btw, warner music is practically broke - so as far as promo, madonna has had to do everything herself. she has called into the biggest record stations (costs warner nothing), magazine covers (costs warner nothing) and will do a mini 3 date tour (this may be sponsored by the places it will be held). she also did peripheral promotion in advance to get her face/music back out there - the sunsilk commercials, she leveraged the rock and roll hall of fame induction, and chaired the unicef party. warners major expense was a table at the rock and roll hall of fame reception and the video - it is their money to lose by doing nothing - they will make money on the single/album/ringtone only. of course we are only 13-14 days into the song so they may actually by some itune front page ad and in store promotions - but don't hold your breath.

:rant:

I don't get why some are saying WB should have waited to release the single to iTunes. Hindsight is brilliant, but there is no way they could have anticipated a slow steady build of the single on radio, when radio could just as easily have decided to ignore 4 minutes, like every other single of hers since DAD.

WB knows exactly what they're doing this time around, and the imaptient loons just have to watch it all unfold. Next week Madonna will most likely debut in the top 5, and that in of itself is an incredible achievement. The video will drop friday (hopefully), and if radio impressions stay steady (and increase), 4 minutes will have a great shot at reaching #1 the next week.

I could so see that happening. :boxing:

I don't get why some are saying WB should have waited to release the single to iTunes. Hindsight is brilliant, but there is no way they could have anticipated a slow steady build of the single on radio, when radio could just as easily have decided to ignore 4 minutes, like every other single of hers since DAD.

WB knows exactly what they're doing this time around, and the imaptient loons just have to watch it all unfold. Next week Madonna will most likely debut in the top 5, and that in of itself is an incredible achievement. The video will drop friday (hopefully), and if radio impressions stay steady (and increase), 4 minutes will have a great shot at reaching #1 the next week.

I could so see that happening. :boxing:

This is what I wanted to hear. :thumbsup:

Guest ercos

AI has improved to nearly 29M, on track to have at least 32M by Tuesday. So the signle needs to sell at least 170k (???) to be a SURE TOP 10 or even at #5 next week...

my predictions (based on AI and projected download sales) on BB April 4/5:

1. Touch My Body

2. Bleeding Love

3. Love In This Club

4. Sexy Can I

5. 4 Minutes

WELL GUYS, GET READY FOR A HISTORIC BB EDITION NEXT WEEK. :)

my predictions (based on AI and projected download sales) on BB April 4/5:

1. Touch My Body

2. Bleeding Love

3. Love In This Club

4. Sexy Can I

5. 4 Minutes

MINE:

1. Touch My Body

2. 4 Minutes

3. Love In this Club

4. Bleeding Love

5. Sexy Can I

#3 and #4 may swap...

I don't watch this IDOL gives back thingy... do artists perform in here?