"4 Minutes" on the Billboard Charts

thebigham

madonna at 8 and coldplay at 10!!!! I really love this new era, with the digital singles! two "not black" artists at the top ten!

I'm assuming your problem is hip/hop/rap artists and not necessarily black artists.

From my buddy Ed:

Full trajectories below. Highlights: "4 Minutes" continues to build airplay in most formats and scores a new No. 1 on the Hot Dance Airplay chart. Billboard adds European Top 100 Albums to its online panel, where "Hard Candy" remains No. 1 for a fourth week. "The Immaculate Collection" sadly bows out of the Top Pop Catalog chart. "Jump" remains off the singles sales charts despite its prominent placement on the season finale of "Ugly Betty".

Madonna - "Hard Candy"

The Billboard 200 - 1*-3-8-9

Billboard Comprehensive Albums - 1*-3-8-9

Top Digital Albums -1-2-6-11

Top Internet Albums - 1-4-7-5

Tastemakers - 2*-2-9-12

Top Canadian Albums - 1*-1-2-2

European Top 100 Albums - 1-1-1-1

Madonna - "The Immaculate Collection"

Top Pop Catalog - 15*-35-39-off

Madonna feat. Justin Timberlake and Timbaland - "4 Minutes"

The Billboard Hot 100 - 68*-3*-3*-7-6*-4*-6-7-7-8

Hot 100 Airplay - 51*-41*-30*-27*-16*-13*-11*-13*-12*-12*

Hot Singles Sales - 1*-2-1-4

Hot Digital Tracks - 2*-1-2-1*-3-4-5-5-8

Hot Digital Songs - 2*-1*-2-1*-2-2-5-5-8

Pop 100 - 32*-3*-2*-3*-3*-3*-3-5-6-7

Pop 100 Airplay - 22*-15*-12*-11*-10*-9*-7*-6*-6*-6*

Hot Dance Club Play - 54-32*-12*-5*-1*-1*-2-5

Hot Dance Airplay - 5*-5-4*-4-4*-3*-2*-2-2*-1*

Hot Dance Singles Sales - 1*-2-1-1

Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks - 39*-35*-35*-29*-26*-24*-22*-23*-21*

Rhythmic Top 40 - 39*-31*-28*-28*-30*-31*-30-33

Latin Pop Airplay - 39*-off-32*-29*-27*

Hot Videoclip Tracks - 10-10-5-1-5-6-5

Canadian Hot 100 - 27*-1*-1*-1-1-1-1-2-1*-1

Hot Canadian Digital Singles - 1*-1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2

Japan Hot 100 - 6-16-N/A

Madonna - "Give It 2 Me"

The Billboard Hot 100 - 57*-off-off-off

Pop 100 - 41*-84-off-off

Hot Digital Tracks - 28*-74-off-off

Canadian Hot 100 - 8*-13-67-off

Hot Canadian Digital Singles - 4*-22-39-67

Madonna - "Miles Away"

Japan Hot 100 - 36-7-N/A

Madonna - "Jump"

Hot Singles Sales - 42*-34*-60-46*-off

Hot Dance Singles Sales - 7*-off-off-off

Madonna - "Sorry"

Hot Singles Sales - 49*-off

Definitely Madonna's biggest U.S hit in years! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm impressed the song is doing well on multiple formats, even Adult Top 40, which I never would have predicted.

The other song with Justin Timberlake from the album I like is DANCE 2NITE! I ignore all the bashers, and say I think Madonna and JT are great together. :thumbsup:

Guest iMisto
The other song with Justin Timberlake from the album I like is DANCE 2NITE! I ignore all the bashers, and say I think Madonna and JT are great together. :thumbsup:

I agree. Dance 2Nite is 'ma fav.

JT and Madonna do GREAT work together.

Guest iMisto
+ David Cook = 4

:dramatic:

Fucking gross. What the fuck is wrong with America and their god damn "American Idols"??

I wasn't aware the charts and quality of music ever went hand in hand.

No. But she's had totally deserving Top 10 hits. Many.

Guest jamesshot
Flawless run. Too bad is not a deserving song IMO.

If that were the case, Mariah Carey would no ZERO top tens.

Guest Bad Robot

Madonna singles with the most weeks in the top ten:

15 - Take a Bow

12 - Music

11 - Secret

10 - I'll Remember

10 - 4 Minutes

9 - Like a Virgin

9 - Crazy For You

8 - Vogue

8 - Justify My Love

8 - This Used to be My Playground

8 - Frozen

8 - Don't Tell Me

Amazing that it's tied for fourth in terms of top ten longevity, although to be fair the 80s/early 90s saw much faster chart runs pre-Soundscan/BDS.

Madonna singles with the most weeks in the top ten:

15 - Take a Bow

12 - Music

11 - Secret

10 - I'll Remember

10 - 4 Minutes

9 - Like a Virgin

9 - Crazy For You

8 - Vogue

8 - Justify My Love

8 - This Used to be My Playground

8 - Frozen

8 - Don't Tell Me

Amazing that it's tied for fourth in terms of top ten longevity, although to be fair the 80s/early 90s saw much faster chart runs pre-Soundscan/BDS.

I'm amazed that Vogue "only" spent 8 weeks in the Top 10. That single went multi platinum if I'm not mistaken. Also, I remember at the time it got played LONG after it peaked in the Top 10. Vogue dominated the clubs as well. I always thought Vogue should have spent more than 3 weeks at #1, IMHO.

Guest aaronj

Hot 100 YTD 2008 (24 weeks)

Pos Points Weeks Song (Peak) Artist

1 2258 24 Low (1) Flo Rida Featuring T-Pain

2 2214 24 Love Song (4) Sara Bareilles

3 2194 24 With You (2) Chris Brown

4 2133 24 Apologize (3) Timbaland Featuring OneRepublic

5 2076 24 Don't Stop The Music (3) Rihanna

6 2075 24 No One (2) Alicia Keys

7 1883 24 See You Again (10) Miley Cyrus

8 1775 22 No Air (3) Jordin Sparks Duet With Chris Brown

9 1730 24 Stop And Stare (12) OneRepublic

10 1715 22 Sorry (9) Buckcherry

11 1690 22 Bubbly (6) Colbie Caillat

12 1679 24 Our Song (16) Taylor Swift

13 1663 22 Paralyzer (6) Finger Eleven

14 1587 21 Independent (9) Webbie, Lil' Phat & Lil' Boosie

15 1553 20 Teardrops On My Guitar (13) Taylor Swift

16 1549 18 Sexy Can I (3) Ray J & Yung Berg

17 1503 19 Tattoo (8) Jordin Sparks

18 1498 18 Take You There (7) Sean Kingston

19 1432 16 Love In This Club (1) Usher Featuring Young Jeezy

20 1410 18 Like You'll Never See Me Again (12) Alicia Keys

21 1382 16 Touch My Body (1) Mariah Carey

22 1379 16 Bleeding Love (1) Leona Lewis

23 1373 19 Suffocate (18) J. Holiday

24 1363 17 Sensual Seduction (7) Snoop Dogg

25 1306 19 Superstar (10) Lupe Fiasco Featuring Matthew Santos

26 1273 15 Clumsy (5) Fergie

27 1248 16 Shadow Of The Day (15) Linkin Park

28 1114 19 Feels Like Tonight (24) Daughtry

29 1094 12 Lollipop (1) Lil Wayne Featuring Static Major

30 1082 14 Sweetest Girl (Dollar Bill) (12) Wyclef Jean Featuring Akon, Lil Wayne & Niia

31 1081 19 I Remember (24) Keyshia Cole

32 1020 20 All-American Girl (27) Carrie Underwood

33 1014 12 Kiss Kiss (4) Chris Brown Featuring T-Pain

34 994 16 The Boss (17) Rick Ross Featuring T-Pain

35 991 19 Say (12) John Mayer

36 984 16 Pocketful Of Sunshine (8) Natasha Bedingfield

37 982 11 4 Minutes (3) Madonna Featuring Justin Timberlake

Note: Yeap..Having fun with points per week...#1 = 100 points, #2 = 99 points,...#100 = 1 point (Thanks Bad Robot for the reminder)

Edited by aaronj

Guest Bad Robot

just for clarity in case anyone is confused, aaronj's list is a "just for fun" list and does not follow any of the techniques that billboard uses to calculate year-end success.

alberto, had "Vogue" been out in the BDS/SoundScan era, it undoubtedly would have had a longer reign on top. Backthen, airpl yand sales were compiled from radio station playlists and store reports- whatever the ranking was on those lits, a single got anassigned set of points. So, in essence, the overall No. 1 seller could have sold less units than some ranked below it (same with airplay- the No. 1 airplay title could have had less airplay trhan some ranked below it).

^ thats why Mimi scored so many huge, endless weeks at #1 etc.., Her "timing" of coming into the music scene couldnt have been more ideal (1990-91), right at the beginning of Sound Scan. Tommy Motolla and Sony took advantage of the new system, with their shady tactics which all enabled Mariah to completely have this outrageous and not to be believed success of the "US" only charts lol. If only Soundscan, or a similar "more accurate" technology of tracking sales was out pre 1990, Madonna woulda clearly been directly on Mimis cellulite ass, if not even ahead of it, with those iconic legendary pop songs. Most def, the entire BB charts (for top female artists) would be day and night a different story for ALL of the "top" divas, Whitney included, but esp. Madonna and MC, even with her utter bshit 18 #1s lol.

Mimi did score 5 consecutive No. 1s under the old methodology, though (with 4 weeks being the longest run). But, no doubt that Mimi benefited well from the advent of BDS/SoundScan. Just think if R&B stations were part of the Hot 100 panel before 1999- she could have racked up even more weeks on top!

Guest nothingfails0603

I liked the old charts different. If you go back to any given week in the 80's, chances are, you know at least half the songs in the top 10, they were all popular songs. Yet now, there are songs at #1 that you've never even heard of.

IMO, urban should not factor on the top 100, since it has it's own chart, same with country. The hot 100 are meant to be the most popular songs that the average person knows, not catering to every subculture market.

yes. great points. I was just thinkin that too. She did indeed score her first 4 record breaking #1s even before SScan lol. I think SS just enabled her to have many more weeks at the top and top ten etc.., yet with Tommy Motolla running her career and radio, those 1st 4 #1s validated what we were in store for w/ or w/out SScan LOL.

I liked the old charts different. If you go back to any given week in the 80's, chances are, you know at least half the songs in the top 10, they were all popular songs. Yet now, there are songs at #1 that you've never even heard of.IMO, urban should not factor on the top 100, since it has it's own chart, same with country. The hot 100 are meant to be the most popular songs that the average person knows, not catering to every subculture market.

me 2 for sure! I used to be bitter about that new chart system that kicked in around 91-92, w/ sound scan #s. The charts we so messed up, with songs rising, falling, then rising again for weelks at a time lol. It was so annoying, plus many of the songs in the Top 10 w/ the new system were at many times not even known. Even tho that new system was more accurate (due to sales being tracked more accutately), B4 1990, every single song in the Top 10 was a well known popular song due to the mix of radio and sales. if a song sold a lot but got 0 airplay, it rarely charted high and visa versa. That whole system in my opinion was more organized and a way better indicator of "hit" songs across the board!

Guest nothingfails0603
me 2 for sure! I used to be bitter about that new chart system that kicked in around 91-92, w/ sound scan #s. The charts we so messed up, with songs rising, falling, then rising again for weelks at a time lol. It was so annoying, plus many of the songs in the Top 10 w/ the new system were at many times not even known. Even tho that new system was more accurate (due to sales being tracked more accutately), B4 1990, every single song in the Top 10 was a well known popular song due to the mix of radio and sales. if a song sold a lot but got 0 airplay, it rarely charted high and visa versa. That whole system in my opinion was more organized and a way better indicator of "hit" songs across the board!

To prove that point further, I'll use data from my Billboard chart books from the 70's, 80's and 90's for this week 10, 20 and 30 years ago compared to today

6-10-1978

1. YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT * John Travolta & Olivia Newton-John

2. SHADOW DANCING * Andy Gibb

3. TOO MUCH TOO LITTLE TOO LATE * Johnny Mathis & Deniece Williams

4. FEELS SO GOOD * Chuck Mangione

5. BAKER STREET * Gerry Rafferty

6. IT'S A HEARTACHE * Bonnie Tyler

7. ON BROADWAY * George Benson

8. TAKE A CHANCE ON ME * ABBA

9. WITH A LITTLE LUCK * Paul McCartney & Wings

10. THIS TIME I'M IN IT FOR LOVE * Player

I wasn't even born yet and I can either sing or hum at least part of the five bolded songs. Let's go to the next set when I was about 8-9

6-11-1988

1. ONE MORE TRY * George Michael

2. TOGETHER FOREVER * Rick Astley

3. EVERYTHING YOUR HEART DESIRES * Hall And Oates

4. SHATTERED DREAMS * Johnny Hates Jazz

5. NAUGHTY GIRLS (NEED LOVE TOO) * Samantha Fox

6. FOOLISH BEAT * Debbie Gibson

7. MAKE IT REAL * The Jets

8. DIRTY DIANA * Michael Jackson

9. CIRCLE IN THE SAND * Belinda Carlisle

10. THE VALLEY ROAD * Bruce Hornsby

20 years on, I can still sing or hum eight of the ten songs. I do remember the Jets and Bruce Hornsby songs getting airplay but can't remember much about either. All ten of these songs I remember getting MTV/VH1 airplay. All ten were well-known if you listened to pop music at all in 1988

Now we go ten years back when the rules had changed a bit, but at this time, you had to be a commercial single to chart, so a lot of airplay smashes were ineligable like "Torn" and "Iris" which were both major hits that summer

6-13-1998 (Frozen was #18 this week btw, Ray Of Light was still a month away from it's hot 100 debut)

1. THE BOY IS MINE * Brandy And Monica

2. TOO CLOSE * Next

3. YOU'RE STILL THE ONE * Shania Twain

4. MY ALL * Mariah Carey

5. I GET LONELY * Janet Jackson

6. EVERYBODY (BACKSTREET'S BACK) * Backstreet Boys

7. ALL MY LIFE * K-Ci And Jo-Jo

8. TRULY MADLY DEEPLY * Savage Garden

9. THE ARMS OF THE ONE WHO LOVES YOU * Xscape

10. SEX AND CANDY * Marcy Playground

even with the rule changes, I still could sing/hum you eight of the top ten. R&B ruled the roost but there was still plenty of pop songs to go round as well and it was a fairly even mixture. I recall all but the Xscape song getting heavy video airplay (the Next song was huge but I honestly can't hum a single note from it).

Now lets move to the present

6-14-2008

1 1 LIL WAYNE LOLLIPOP

2 2 LEWIS*LEONA BLEEDING LOVE - SINGLE

10 3 COLDPLAY VIVA LA VIDA

4 4 RIHANNA TAKE A BOW

21 5 KATY PERRY I KISSED A GIRL

6 6 USHER LOVE IN THIS CLUB

5 7 JORDIN SPARKS DUET NO AIR

7 8 RAY J FEAT. YUNG BERG SEXY CAN I

3 9 DAVID COOK THE TIME OF MY LIFE

8 10 MADONNA 4 MINUTES

I have heard four of the top 10 songs (Bleeding Love has eluded me). 4 Minutes and Viva La Vida are the only ones of those two I can sing any part of. The Rihanna song is her weakest single yet even tho the remixes salvage things a bit, and the Usher song is just plain Usher, take ir or leave it. Lil Wayne's song is #1 even though his album is #197 this week with a total of 30,000 copies sold. David Cook's song is all sales, no airplay. And really popular songs by people like Natasha Bedingfield and Danity Kane are right below the top 10, while Brandy's Z-list LaToya/Dannii Minogue brother Ray J is #7? WTF.

I can tell something is wrong when I can sing more songs that were in the top 10 30 years ago, a year before I was born, than what's currently in the top 10. Billboard needs to change its hot 100 rules.

Guest Bad Robot
I liked the old charts different. If you go back to any given week in the 80's, chances are, you know at least half the songs in the top 10, they were all popular songs. Yet now, there are songs at #1 that you've never even heard of.

IMO, urban should not factor on the top 100, since it has it's own chart, same with country. The hot 100 are meant to be the most popular songs that the average person knows, not catering to every subculture market.

Your last point is incorrect, the Hot 100 is meant to reflect the most popular songs across the country by combining sales and airplay.

But, good news -- the chart you want is called the Pop 100 and it already exists!