"4 Minutes" on the Billboard Charts

thebigham

i think what matters the most is that Madonna had a huge hit out this year

4 Minutes did amazingly well on the charts, and managed to get tons of airplay

It's a well known song, and the kids love it

Guest robingr
yeah... to be honest, after 4 Minutes, she may not have another #1 really... if her promo team and tactics don't change in the future

4 Minutes clearly had a very very good chance to be #1, but it failed to because of ill-timing and strategy... if that will not change, she may really not get another #1 in the HOT100..

but we just have to get over it... at least she's #1 around the world...

also, it didn't become #1 because airplay was not enough. just a bit more...

Guest marsha

we all would have been really happy with 4m # 1. yes, of course. we know that's not what really matters but all Madonna's fan would have delighted with a 13th #1 8 years after Music, probably much more than she would have been. it's frustating because it could have been with promo. the song deserved better airplay because huge sales, tons of requests, amazing callouts score. and it could have claimed the top spot without such a competition. so, it's disappointing. missed opportunity. but not a big deal. 4M is not over, we can expect few more weeks in Top 10, with airplay and sales remaining steady. we all know the song is a smah hit, great comeback. and most of us did not expect such a success. she did not promo. period. I truly don't think it was the last chance. If she goes to Ellen, Oprah... performs at MTV MA... GITM can be #1, digital sales can make the difference now. times are changing. 37k with no airplay, no promo, no video... AMAZING. if it's not GITM, then maybe Miles away, Beat... with promo, videos, tour, many occasions. at the worst, another Top 2, #1 singles sales, 7th #1 album, great songs, #1 worldwide artist. Hall of fame and a wonderful year to come. a liile bit disappointed but you know what, I'm happy. and soon I won't say it like droopy;-) past weeks were great. the future is to come.

does any one think she'll still have a chance to return to the top?

honestly, she will have another chance with the carrier single from the next album...

it will be under LIVE NATION maybe they have a better promo machine...

can't wait for NOV 2010 with MADONNA's 12th studio album...

honestly, she will have another chance with the carrier single from the next album...

it will be under LIVE NATION maybe they have a better promo machine...

can't wait for NOV 2010 with MADONNA's 12th studio album...

and the HOT100 will be driven even more by sales then!!!!

BILLBOARD HOT 100 - TOP 50

53 1 RIHANNA TAKE A BOW

1 2 LEWIS*LEONA BLEEDING LOVE - SINGLE

2 3 LIL WAYNE LOLLIPOP - STILL BULLETED

3 4 JORDIN SPARKS DUET NO AIR

4 5 USHER LOVE IN THIS CLUB

5 6 RAY J FEAT. YUNG BERG SEXY CAN I

6 7 MADONNA 4 MINUTES

7 8 CAREY*MARIAH TOUCH MY BODY

8 9 NATASHA BEDINGFIELD POCKETFUL OF SUNSHINE - STILL BULLETED

11 10 DANITY KANE DAMAGED

and the HOT100 will be driven even more by sales then!!!!

I don't know about that but Billboard really likes to give airplay a big share...

last year when digital downloads are getting bigger and bigger they slashed its count by half after noticing how huge is the effect of sales... so they are always on guard whenever sales get bigger and bigger, always there to maintain "balance" between airplay and sales

I'm happy she has now spent 6 weeks in the TOP 10

Guest KoreanMadonna

3-3-7-6-4-6-7 = 7 Weeks in the Top 10! :thumbsup::demonic:

I don't know about that but Billboard really likes to give airplay a big share...

last year when digital downloads are getting bigger and bigger they slashed its count by half after noticing how huge is the effect of sales... so they are always on guard whenever sales get bigger and bigger, always there to maintain "balance" between airplay and sales

That would be ridiculous... I mean, they started to count the airplay due to low single sales right? Now that the sales are quite healthy I don't know what excuse they're gonna find...

Yeah, man, 6 weeks in the Top 10 is excellent! I predict another week next week.

she may have more weeks in the TOP10... as long as she has that 50M AUDIMP from airplay and sales stay afloat above 50K-60K

Will she be in the year end Billboard single charts?

sales, yes, TOP 10 assured

airplay, maybe bottom half of 100 songs

HOT100, for sure, TOP25...

Guest jeankmx
but we just have to get over it... at least she's #1 around the world...

LOL you said like THE WORLD is not important...

usa is one country only and its part of THE WORLD.

Madonna IS No 1 ALL OVER THE WORLD... FOR 5TH WEEK IN A ROW!

How is that?

Except when they allowed to chart solely with airplay few years ago. If they go back to the old rule, when a song could chart only when it was available on sale, there would be any difference on Hot 100?

Guest marsha
I would change that for one week at the TOP (IE RIHANNA). It would have happened with better srategy.

me too. #1 remain in history books. 3-5-4-8-6-9-5-8-3-2 runs make lines on fans websites, consulted by charts fanatics (no offense, I'm part of them). ok, you can find them on the 3.5 kilos books Billboard sell barely 500 units every 5 years. hip, hip, hoo! whatever, 4M is smash hit. unexpected. But we could regret the missed opportunity for a long time. it was so close, a great TV show, a few more spins on KIIS... Why don't Warner supress GITM for a few weeks? The song could sell huge later, with video, airplay, and if we can dream it, promo.

That would be ridiculous... I mean, they started to count the airplay due to low single sales right? Now that the sales are quite healthy I don't know what excuse they're gonna find...

Airplay has been a part of the Hot 100 since Day 1. They've just changed the percentages over the years as the market has fluctuated.

Does anyone know off hand if 4M's total points would have been enough for #1 in any week over the past 7 weeks if her opening week sales had been combined with her current peak in airplay?

Guest Bad Robot

There is no guarantee of 4M being in the top ten of sales for the year. In fact I bet it's very unlikely. More likely it'll be top 30, MAYBE top 20.

The single itself has a decent chance of being one of the top 40 singles of the year.

Remember that even with 4 weeks at #1, "Music" was only the #17 single of 2000.

Mtz you are way off to say any of those things are assured.

well i don't play it safe and i am not afraid to be crucified if my predix is wrong...

i said TOP10 sales assured because it is on track to sell 2.5M in Digital... (it's already 1.3M and still selling at 100k levels) and there ain't too many songs that reach that level... we are talking about sales from Dec07 to Nov08 here...

Guest Bad Robot

It's fine to say "I predict..." but to say "is assured" is misleading.

There are a lot of people on this board who latch on to any remote suggestion of success and consider it gospel. Hence 98% of the board thinking HC would open with something like 400-500k. Or that 4M would be #1.

If everyone's expectations were lowered significantly there would be a lot less hysteria around here.

98% predicted 400k up for HC? :shock: that is not true as evidenced here link

the main reason for the hysteria is loons not accepting a lower number than MC and MADONNA underpromoting

and must we all play safe and lower our expectations, no matter how real we feel it's more than that, just to avoid other posters being cry babies? you can count me out...

Guest Bad Robot

looks like the people voting in the polls forum are much more realistic than those posting in the charts forum.

i just get annoyed at how the story goes something like:

mariah sold ONLY 460k? what a DISAPPOINTMENT! anyone who thinks those sales are good is DELUSIONAL

madonna will definitely outsell mariah, 4M is huge, so this will be M's biggest opening ever, and anyone who disagrees is SO NEGATIVE

oh madonna sold 280k? well, of course, the market's down, so those sales are GREAT, if you think that's not good, you're NEVER HAPPY

oh madonna dropped 67% in week 2? well of course, everyone has huge drops these days, thinking she'd do better would be STUPID

ha, at least madonna is outselling janet!

there's always this tone that if you don't view everything as amazing or don't predict huge numbers that you're somehow this negative horrible force. some people just try to be realistic.

it's like crazy o'clock in the morning here, i'm just randomly venting at this point...

Guest marsha
98% predicted 400k up for HC? :shock: that is not true as evidenced here link

the main reason for the hysteria is loons not accepting a lower number than MC and MADONNA underpromoting

and must we all play safe and lower our expectations, no matter how real we feel it's more than that, just to avoid other posters being cry babies? you can count me out...

when voted they probably hoped for promo!! stand by Hits with safe and low expectations ;-) most important album have bionic legs. my bet.

did you notice pop bars on itunes albums store.

so far

4M at 1 of course

2 Give it to me

3 Beat goes on

4 Miles aways

5 Candy Shop

we have our 5 singles!!

Spanish closes the door. what a surprise ! ;-)