"4 Minutes" on the Billboard Charts

thebigham

It's amazing that a massive difference in airplay between Madonna and Mariah only resulted in a sales difference of 70k and that included TMB having a video and more time at radio as well!

If WBR waited another 1-2 weeks, 4M would have had a very good chance of being No.1 as airplay would have continued to grow and the video would have premiered.

Guest missy bi_tch

mariah has a longer #1 span 1990-2008 while madonna's from 1984-2000...if 4 minutes go #1, madonna's span would be 1984-2008, 24 years

mariah has a longer #1 span 1990-2008 while madonna's from 1984-2000...if 4 minutes go #1, madonna's span would be 1984-2008, 24 years

that's really comforting... :bruised: :bruised: :bruised:

This is excellent news, bearing in mind Mimi has had 4/5 weeks airplay and heavy video rotation, 4 mins has yet to debut a video i do hope it goes higher still

im well impressed and pleasantly suprised

Who has a list of all the top 10 singles by Madonna?

Hmmm... off the top of my head

bold #1s

italic #2s

underlined non-Top5s

Borderline (10)

Lucky Star

Like A Virgin

Material Girl (2)

Crazy For You

Angel

Dress You Up

Live To Tell

Papa Don't Preach

True Blue

Open Your Heart

La Isla Bonita

Who's That Girl

Causing A Commotion (2)

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself (2)

Cherish (2)

Keep It Together (8)

Vogue

Hanky Panky (10)

Justify My Love

Rescue Me (9)

This Used To Be My Playground

Erotica

Deeper and Deeper (7)

I'll Remember (2)

Secret

Take A Bow

You'll See (6)

Don't Cry For Me Argentina (8)

Frozen (2)

Ray Of Light

Music

Don't Tell Me

Die Another Day (8)

Hung Up (7)

4 Minutes

WHEW! Whenever I look at her 6 #2s... I ache... they are all soooooo formidable...

Guest Bad Robot

By year:

1984: 3

1985: 4

1986: 4

1987: 3

--

1989: 3

1990: 4

1991: 1

1992: 2

1993: 1

1994: 2

1995: 1

1996: 1

1997: 1

1998: 2

---

2000: 1

2001: 1

2002: 1

---

---

2005: 1

---

---

2008: 1 (so far)

I'm shocked madonna got top 3 but pleasantly shocked!!!! This song HAS to go #1 now. it's written in the stars

This song HAS to go #1 now. it's written in the stars

I dont know....Pray Mariah's audience imp and downloads decline fast. Again I think the week her album comes out is her best shot.

I dont know....Pray Mariah's audience imp and downloads decline fast. Again I think the week her album comes out is her best shot.

well, the way I see it, Madonna's single stands to go up the most right now. She jumped way more positions than Mariah this week and her song is newer than mariah's. Madonna's is catching on really fast... my local pop radio station which is a small market (probably mid way down the markets in the US) already has her at #11 on their playlist and they haven't played her previous few songs that much at all as a matter of fact its on now! I'm listening online :thumbsup:

it could also be the week she releases her 4MINUTES remixes to iTunes US and MAXI on APRIL 22...

it could also be the week she releases her 4MINUTES remixes to iTunes US and MAXI on APRIL 22...

I don't think the remixes can make the difference.

I don't think the remixes can make the difference.

it can, in the littlest way possible add up another 25k additional copies the week all those 14 versions are released (7 remixes and 7 remix edits)... it could help the current version that is high up there even for just a week

It's great for second week! Airplay will surely rise a lot more this week due to big jump on HOT 100 :D

Guest Qbanito21
It's great for second week! Airplay will surely rise a lot more this week due to big jump on HOT 100 :D

yes and hopefully she will start promoting in the states

Guest superbu
ARTISTS WITH THE MOST TOP 10 SINGLES ON THE HOT 100

1. Madonna (37)

2. Elvis Presley (36)

It's not quite accurate to say Elvis had 36 hits on the Hot 100. The 36 for Elvis includes pre-Hot 100. Billboard is counting only their "Bestsellers in Stores" chart for the pre-Hot 100 years, which combined both sides of a hit single into one listing. Which means counting the massive hits "Don't Be Cruel" and "Hound Dog" as one entry, a policy I disagree with.

There was another Billboard chart in existence at the time, the Top 100, which was the precursor of the Hot 100 -- combining sales, airplay, and jukebox into one chart and breaking double-sided hits into separate entries, as the Hot 100 does. Going by that chart, Elvis had 38 top tens, not 36.

However the numbers are crunched, it's an incredible achievement for Madonna.

Edited by superbu

It's not quite accurate to say Elvis had 36 hits on the Hot 100. The 36 for Elvis includes pre-Hot 100. Billboard is counting only their "Bestsellers in Stores" chart for the pre-Hot 100 years, which combined both sides of a hit single into one listing. Which means counting the massive hits "Don't Be Cruel" and "Hound Dog" as one entry, a policy I disagree with.

There was another Billboard chart in existence at the time, the Top 100, which was the precursor of the Hot 100 -- combining sales, airplay, and jukebox into one chart and breaking double-sided hits into separate entries, as the Hot 100 does. Going by that chart, Elvis had 38 top tens, not 36.

However the numbers are crunched, it's an incredible achievement for Madonna.

I understand that... but then you would also have to do the same with Madonna and count other hits like "Into The Groove" that was not counted as a single as it was the B side of "Angel" (that peaked #05 on HOT 100) and though was an airplay MegaHit being #01 for 6 weeks at the Radio and Record Chart it doesn't appear as part of her 37 TOP 10 HITS.

botoxic: "From my rough calcs, Usher beat Madonna out for #2 on the Hot100 by just 5000 in sales (or 5 million impressions). Conversely, M beat Leona out for #3 by about 6000 in sales (or 6 million impressions). These three are likely to battle it out for the 2-4 positions again next week - here's hoping M can hold her own!!!"

Hot 100: 4M climbs from #68 to #3

Hot 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from #51 to #41

Pop 100: 4M climbs from #32 to #3

Pop 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from #22 to #15

Hot Dance Airplay: 4M holds at #5 for a 2nd week without a bullet