"4 Minutes" on the Billboard Charts

thebigham

Guest ercos

well, AI has reached 30M (barely) and sadly, the first week's daily increase of 4M (thats four million) has decreased to the second week of 0.8M to 1M. With the trend, it can reach to 31M to 32M AI as the AI factor for the April 5 BB edition.

Am praying / wishing for at least 160k for a sure top 10 and hu knows, #5. :)

Good news though, Urban is really picking up the song...

and once the video is released, the # of spins / AI will surely exponentially increase just like the first week and will possibly double (???) the digital sales it experienced this week

Guest ercos
Hopefully not...

projections for TMb i read in some fansites is over 220k. as shown in the iTunes chart, TMb is way over 4M.

am sure, TMb will nosedive next week unlike 4M will still increase as the video has yet to be released.

projections for TMb i read in some fansites is over 220k. as shown in the iTunes chart, TMb is way over 4M.

am sure, TMb will nosedive next week unlike 4M will still increase as the video has yet to be released.

when the total sales come out, i think it will be very close between TMB and 4M... sigh, despite the one day advantage

Guest Bad Robot
well, AI has reached 30M (barely) and sadly, the first week's daily increase of 4M (thats four million) has decreased to the second week of 0.8M to 1M. With the trend, it can reach to 31M to 32M AI as the AI factor for the April 5 BB edition.

Please stop spreading incorrect information. Read the chart FAQs thread to understand how Mediabase works.

is this from perezhilton true?

Here's a chance for both Madonna and Mariah fans to celebrate!

When the latest Billboard Hot 100 singles chart is released on Wednesday, both pop divas will have reached new milestones.

M & M are set to break two records set by Elvis Presley, making music history together on the same week!

Thanks to its release as a digital single, Mimi's Touch My Body is expected to be the #1 single in America this coming week. It will be her 18th #1, and she will surpass Elvis as the artist with the most #1 hits.

Meanwhile, Madge's 4 Minutes will jump into the Top 10 this week and she will beat Elvis as the artist with the most Top 10 hits in music history. It will be her 37th !!!

That is INSANE!!!!

So many artists wish they could have a Top 10 single, and Madonna is on her way to #37!!!!!!!!

ARTISTS WITH THE MOST TOP 10 SINGLES (Before 4 Minutes)

1. Elvis Presley (36)

1. Madonna (36)

3. The Beatles (34)

4. Stevie Wonder (28)

4. Michael Jackson (28)

Congrats to both Madonna and Mariah!!!!!

Thanks to its release as a digital single, Mimi's Touch My Body is expected to be the #1 single in America this coming week. It will be her 18th #1, and she will surpass Elvis as the artist with the most #1 hits.

Mariah will be second! I guess the Beatles have 20 no1s right??? Someone send mail to perez!

MARIAH IS GONNA BE #1 THERE IS NO WAY ANYTHING WILL STOP THAT WHALE WITH HIGH PITCH 8 OCTAV THAT ONLY DOLPHINS HEAR.

MINE:

1. Touch My Body

2. 4 Minutes

3. Love In this Club

4. Bleeding Love

5. Sexy Can I

Even if "4 Minutes" does peak at #2, that will still give Madonna another record. For as I recall, Madonna and Elvis are now tied for the most #2 singles at six a piece. Of course, a #1 single would be better.

is this from perezhilton true?

Here's a chance for both Madonna and Mariah fans to celebrate!

When the latest Billboard Hot 100 singles chart is released on Wednesday, both pop divas will have reached new milestones.

M & M are set to break two records set by Elvis Presley, making music history together on the same week!

Meanwhile, Madge's 4 Minutes will jump into the Top 10 this week and she will beat Elvis as the artist with the most Top 10 hits in music history. It will be her 37th !!!

That is INSANE!!!!

So many artists wish they could have a Top 10 single, and Madonna is on her way to #37!!!!!!!!

ARTISTS WITH THE MOST TOP 10 SINGLES (Before 4 Minutes)

1. Elvis Presley (36)

1. Madonna (36)

3. The Beatles (34)

4. Stevie Wonder (28)

4. Michael Jackson (28)

Congrats to both Madonna and Mariah!!!!!

OMG!!

The "ARTISTS WITH THE MOST TOP 10 SINGLES" is mine that I have been posting at different message boards.

Perez is NOT crediting me!!!! LOL

Does anyone know why Billboard doesn't count sales of video clips in their charts? I've just checked the Australian Recording Industry Association's Code of Practice for their charts and it explicitly states that sales of video clips count as a digital sale for chart purposes. I wonder why Billboard doesn't count them? Essentially, it's the same as purchasing a DVD single, and they count them towards their main charts...

Guest missy bi_tch

Would be nice if madonna eventually has 40 top 10 hits...

If going by one top 10 per album, it would three more albums with Live Nation, in 7.5 years' time when she's nearly 60.

Guest Bad Robot
Does anyone know why Billboard doesn't count sales of video clips in their charts? I've just checked the Australian Recording Industry Association's Code of Practice for their charts and it explicitly states that sales of video clips count as a digital sale for chart purposes. I wonder why Billboard doesn't count them? Essentially, it's the same as purchasing a DVD single, and they count them towards their main charts...

Can you clarify where you read that video sales don't count? I thought they did.

Video sales (or video airplay, video streams) do not count toward the Hot 100- thought we clarified that one. :)

I'd hardly say that 50-somethin spins from a handful of urban stations is "urban really picking it up."

Guest Bad Robot
Video sales (or video airplay, video streams) do not count toward the Hot 100- thought we clarified that one. :)

I'd hardly say that 50-somethin spins from a handful of urban stations is "urban really picking it up."

I knew video airplay and streams did not count, but I thought that if you buy the 4M music video on iTunes, it does count -- you're saying no?

That surprises me! I thought when WIFLFAG and ROL were released as video singles they were counted.

Hmm.

Guest Bad Robot

Hold the phone, Mabel.

Video streams DO count:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/about_us/bbmethodology.jsp

"The former chart [Hot 100] also factors in streaming audio and video data (both on demand and passive) from AOL and Yahoo. "

Also, I just checked my archives and the DVD sales for WIFLFAG *did* in fact count for the Hot 100, so HolidayGuy I hate to break it to you but I think you're wrong on this one! Streaming videos and music video sales are factored into the Hot 100.

I think the one thing you're right about is that audience impressions from video play on TV do not count.

I assume streaming on YouTube doesn't count though as I can't imagine how they could keep track. That's too bad since that's where a lot of people stream their favourite videos these days.

I assume streaming on YouTube doesn't count though as I can't imagine how they could keep track. That's too bad since that's where a lot of people stream their favourite videos these days.

Absolutly... but if we know for sure that yahoo and AOL count let's try to put always links for those two websites instead of Youtube so we can try to get more people there instead of YouTube...

It's really bad if YouTube doesn't count... :(

Guest Bad Robot

It'd be nearly impossible to track video play from YouTube, since users can upload whatever they want. There's no way to know that a certain song is being streamed from there.

Plus, I don't think the labels care -- they get money from Yahoo/AOL streams, but not from YouTube (at least not to my knowledge).

I know DVD sales count toward the Hot 100, but didn't know about online video sales? Are we sure about that one? Hmmm, interesting about the video streams, as well, if they count. Streaming is such a small part of the Hot 100 anyhow, and only makes a difference when tracks are real close.

Yah, the video impressions, I'm pretty sure about that one. :)

Guest Bad Robot

I can't think of any reason why the sale of a music video online for a single track would NOT count toward the Hot 100? If digital sales of singles are counted the same as physical, why wouldn't digital sales of music videos count the same as physical?

Maybe this is a Fred Bronson question.

No, it's a question for Geoff Mayfield.

Fred just talks about chart records. He's practically foaming at the mouth about an 18th Mimi #1.

And unfortunally he's going to get it with a overrated song... at least here in Portugal it's not enjoying much sucess... it plays at radio but not that often... and litte dowloads on itunes

Mimi's not very highly rated as an artist, so it's not a matter of the song being overrated- it's just the way things are in the USA.

BR- apparently, video sales at iTunes do *not* feed into any of the Billboard charts- per Keith Caulfield.

FROM BILLBOARD

Mariah, Madonna Make Billboard Chart History

Two leading ladies, Mariah Carey and Madonna, leapfrog over Elvis Presley in the Billboard charts record book this week.

As expected, Mariah Carey moves past Elvis Presley and into sole possession of second place for most No. 1s in the rock era, as "Touch My Body" soars 15-1 on the Billboard Hot 100 to become her 18th chart-topper. With her album "E=MC2" yet to hit retail, Carey might equal the Beatles' record of 20 No. 1s before her set runs its course.

"Body's" blast to No. 1 is fueled by a record-setting debut week digital tally of 286,000 downloads. That sum, good enough for the No. 1 slot on Hot Digital Songs, surpasses the 277,000 downloads labelmate Rihanna opened with in the June 9, 2007, issue with her summer smash "Umbrella."

Presley will also be nudged from his standing as the artist with the most top 10s in the rock era, as Madonna surpasses him with her 37th top 10, "4 Minutes." The track, which features Justin Timberlake, clocks a 68-3 jump on this morning's preliminary chart. Previous to the establishment of the Billboard Hot 100 in 1958, the industry standard chart was the Best Sellers in Stores tally, where Presley scored his first 12 top 10s. - so technically ELVIS have 48 TOP 10s? Does he also have #1s before 1958?

Like Carey's "Touch," Madonna's Hot 100 jump is spurred by stupendous download sales. "4 Minutes" shifts 217,000 in its first week of wide release (it had been available as a Verizon exclusive) to enter Hot Digital Songs at No. 2.

This is the first time since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking digital sales in 2003 that two titles debut simultaneously on Hot Digital Songs with more than 200,000 downloads each. The week also marks the best single-week digital tally in either artist's career.