4 Minutes USA Airplay: Mediabase (part 1)

thebigham

4M has passed the following in Mediabase a.i.:

Hollywood: ~8 million.

Sorry: ~7 million

Jump: ~5 million

GT: less than 1 million

Let's see if 4M can pass:

WIFLFAG: ~33 million

Hung Up: ~32 million

American Life: ~26 million

People, urban radio will NOT play new Madonna music, no matter the collaborators. I truly cannot imagine anyone would think otherwise. What other person with zero black blood in their veins, and near her age, has gotten notable airplay at urban radio in recent times? Uh huh.

4M is all about mainstream top 40 play, sprinkled with some rhythmic and maybe some Hot AC. Madonna is limited in her radio audience reach- just the way it is. But, she should make up for that with strong digital sales.

Sorry, Brisy, but I in no way see a Hot 100 No. 1 peak for this track. :) Unless sales were ridiculously huge, outpacing all others by a huge-ass margin (which is unlikely).

Nothing is known about how this will hold up at radio- the first 1-2 weeks of play is mostly hype, giving it some airtime to test the waters. I can just imagine the panic by some when the 8th-day report comes in and the gains aren't as large as they were (which usually is the case). Chicken Little, I hope you appear at that time!

Okay, because the misinformation train is back on track, some FACTS to get people less insane:

-DJs do NOT make playlists. Music directors at various radio stations determine the playlist. Ryan Seacrest likely has nothing to do with whether or not any songs get played.

-Requests RARELY matter. There was a time in the past where they did, but today, the combination of music directors, radio research, and insane fans sending thousands of requests online and over the phone to stations they don't even listen to (and often aren't even in their own state or country) have made radio stations completely disregard them. Yes, those of you who participate in online request-a-thons at tons of radio stations are a huge part of why those requests now mean nothing.

-Radio stations often build their playlists around audience call-out research -- they play snippets of songs to people randomly over the phone or sometimes online, and ask them to rate the songs. They check that against their target demographics and that influences their playlist. 4 Minutes came out 3 days ago. There has not been enough time to get much (if any) research and so stations that rely on this are likely hesitant until they hear results.

-Radio is NOT like sales at all -- it is very much a slow build. Not every station plays a song the first day it is available. Even huge songs start low and grow after that - over MONTHS, not a few days.

KIIS is almost undoubtedly waiting to see audience testing results and get a feel for whether their listeners will like the song. They know that when they get requests it's from batshit crazy fans who are not actual listeners, so that's not an accurate gauge for them.

Seriously people. PATIENCE. I have never seen this board go so far over the top completely insane over something that it is WAY TOO EARLY to draw any conclusions from.

Chill.

thankyou

People, urban radio will NOT play new Madonna music, no matter the collaborators. I truly cannot imagine anyone would think otherwise. What other person with zero black blood in their veins, and near her age, has gotten notable airplay at urban radio in recent times? Uh huh.

they played Nelly Furtado

Nelly Fucking Furtado

remember her? she sang that crappy annoying indie song "im like a bird"?

whatever, URBAN stations can shove their AudImps to their throats, HOTAC will fill the void... POP, RHYTHMIC, HOTAC and AC are MADONNA's usual possible markets

Is Nelly Furtado near Madonna's age, darlin'?

Does it matter about age?

I was making a reference as to what Nelly was before "Loose"

Rather certain AC won't spin 4M too much. At Hot AC, a top 30 peak would be cool (probably won't peak as high as HU did, which was No. 16). The bulk of 4M's audience is- and will continue to be- from mainstream top 40, no doubt.

Thats why MIMI is so successful in RADIO, URBAN and every fucking format supports her. Its not only because she is mixed race, she sounds very natural on hiphop songs. She has been building that audience since middle 90's, with latest rent a rappers and latest urban sounds. I bet they would play her even if she were totally white.

Guest FrozenLight

Hi HolidayGuy - I agree with you...I think regardless of who she is working with urban stations will ignore it. I was wondering do you happen to know which white artist or band have gotten major urban airplay say in the past 10 years and what is the numbers they usually reach.

Does Fergie, Justin, Gwen get say 20+ million on those markets or even they are completely ignore on urban stations?

If there any white artist (whether someone how is a big name or a one hit wonder) who had a major hit on urban stations in the past 10 years?

And one final question which of Madonna's songs over the past 20+ years have had major or at least good urban play (did Vogue, Like a Prayer, Holiday do well there or was it always the same scenario back in the day?)

Many thanks,

whatever, URBAN stations can shove their AudImps to their throats, HOTAC will fill the void... POP, RHYTHMIC, HOTAC and AC are MADONNA's usual possible markets

I don't think AC will touch 4 minutes!! But If Miles Away is a hit on top40 and then Hot Ac and AC will play Miles Away for years!!! LOve Profusion is so great for AC audiences! But It never was a hit on top40 so AC didn't touch it///:(

Guest Azelover
Why are they waiting SO LONG to release the video? I don't get it.

Watch the Jonas&Francois videos, they're 99% post-production based.

This is probably why it's taking so long, but then again I think Madonna waits way too long to do just about anything, from choosing singles to shooting videos etc. If she knew she was going with these directors she should have shot the video earlier IMO, but whatever.

Edited by Azelover

While Madonna may not win any urban love, she still has the most R&B chart hits for a totally white female- just FYI. :) That's 15 (+ 1 Bubbling Under), with 6 cracking the top 40.

And, some may be surprised to see the lack of play (relatively speaking) Fergie and Gwen have had at urban radio... tho Gwen has 4 top 40s on the R&B chart (2 she was featured on), and 2 top 10s (1 featured on).

Peaks on R&B Chart

Justin Timberlake

Like I Love You: No. 53

Cry Me a River: No. 11

Rock Your Body: No. 45

Still on My Brain: No. 75

Sexyback: No. 11

My Love: No. 2

What Goes Around...: No. 76

Give it to Me: No. 38 (Timbaland Featuring...)

Until the End of Time: No. 3

Ayo Technology: No. 41 (50 Cent Featuring...)

Fergie

London Bridge: No. 56

Fergalicious: No. 71

Glamorous: No. 41

Clumsy: No. 89

Gwen Stefani

Let Me Blow Ya Mind: No. 6 (Eve Featuring...)

Rich Girl: No. 78

Hollaback Girl: No. 8

Luxurious: No. 33

Can I Have it Like That: No. 32 (Pharrell Featuring...)

Nelly Furtado

Turn Off the Light: No. 52 (this featured Ms. Jade and Timbaland)

Ching, Ching: No. 41 (Ms. Jade Featuring...)

Promiscuous: No. 22

Give it to Me: No. 38 (Timbaland Featuring...)

While Madonna may not win any urban love, she still has the most R&B chart hits for a totally white female- just FYI. :) That's 15 (+ 1 Bubbling Under), with 6 cracking the top 40.

and they are....?

Actually, I just thought of Teena Marie- Madonna would have the second-most for a totally white female.

This info has been posted many tmes before, but here it is again:

Holiday: No. 25

Lucky Star: No. 42

Like a Virgin: No. 9

Material Girl: No. 49

Crazy For You: No. 80

Angel: No. 71

Into the Groove: No. 19

Dress You Up: No. 64

Who's That Girl: No. 78

Like a Prayer: No. 20

Keep it Together: No. 66

Vogue: No. 16

Justify My Love: No. 42

Erotica: Bubbling Under No. 16

Take a Bow: No. 40

Human Nature: No. 57 (actually peaked at No. 70 on R&B airplay)

M also had 5 albums chart on R&B, including True Blue (which didn't yield any R&B singles chart entries).

Guest Bad Robot

Just to the comment about "what can fans do?"

Really... nothing. Airplay is based on research, and unless you somehow get on a list that a radio station uses, you won't have much influence.

Sometimes songs with really strong sales end up getting more radio attention, so the most you can do is buy the song when it's available!

Fans do not really have any influence on airplay.

BTW -- these numbers are looking great!

*bigham moment*

Airplay is also based on payola!

:gent:

Then why did Spitzer investigate all these radio stations in New York State a few years ago? Why did the music director at the Top 40 radio station in Buffalo get fired??

PAYOLA!

Being played on 108 stations out of 144.

YEAH, AND WE CAN ONLY HOPE THE OTHER 36 STATIONS START PLAYING IT NEXT WEEK... ENSURING STEADY GROWTH...

I hope it being available for downloads next week spur more airplay interest... next week will be like WORLD WAR 3 i tell ya...

Guest harbors
YEAH, AND WE CAN ONLY HOPE THE OTHER 36 STATIONS START PLAYING IT NEXT WEEK... ENSURING STEADY GROWTH...

I hope it being available for downloads next week spur more airplay interest... next week will be like WORLD WAR 3 i tell ya...

I'm sure Perez will be very busy next week. :horn:

Guest FrozenLight

Damn, I didn't realize that even Gwen and Fergie were struggling that hard on urban stations. I thought it was a given that their singles would reach the top 20 on those stations. Considering that most of them had singles in the lower part of the top 100 then I think it's safe to say that even if 4M2STW reaches number 70 on the Urban charts we should consider it lucky to even chart there