US Chart Talk: 3/15/08

thebigham

Guest newyorkbound
:thumbsup: Go on Brit Brit. Break the Ice should see a healthy jump during the next few weeks. Piece of Me is about to hit 1 million in digital. Good chart run with this album, continuing the chart success since In the Zone.

Oh yah- selling 2.2 million+ fewer copies is continuing the chart success of the last album alright. And, while "Gimme More" peaked at No. 3, it in no way was a bigger hit than "Toxic" (which was pre-digital age)- the latter peaked at No. 9 on Hot 100 Airplay, while GM topped out at No. 48. Even MATM peaked higher in airplay than GM. "Piece of Me" peaked at No. 74 in airplay, I believe. She's never been a radio darling, but she fared the worst with this album in terms of airplay. The Britney album also struggled at radio, but at least "Slave 4 U" reached No. 30 in airplay.

Just laying out da factz. :)

SP, what did ya expect, with a 96% gain in digital sales for "Feedback"? Its airplay is down to 8m or so Mediabase, and didn't drop all that much from a week ago.

Nice to see Feedback become a top 20 hit for Janet.

And I was expecting a bigger jump for MC. :bad:

she only has airplay to count on for now... but come March 18... it's going to be a huge battle, but that will be USHER's 4th week of digital sales against Mimi's 1st week...

I am so happy for Janet right now! "Feedback" more than deserves to be a hit and i'm so glad that it's doing well.

so nowadays, an 80k downloads figure with negligible airplay can take you as high as the #18 to #24 neighborhood... hmmm... I hope MADONNA do good with downloads... Timbaland and Timberlake fans better help in the downloading frenzy

Guest newyorkbound
:boxing: Chart wise Zone started a decent run at the charts that Britney didn't achieve. Blackout, as the music bible Billboard magazine states....Ice looks headed to be at least a top 20 hit. Don't care about airplay charts, the hot 100 chart is the one I'm referring to and that one has a number 3 and number 18 respectively for GM and POM. Zone had #35, 9, 15 and 79. So yes, Blackout continues to spawn hit singles from a GREATLY produced CD.

"Break the Ice" likely won't peak as high as "Piece of Me" on the Hot 100. I may concur about it being a well-procued CD- doesn't make it great album, tho- any phone sex operator could have called in the much of the vocals.

Can understand a mega Spears fan not caring about airplay, as it's never been a strong suit for her. But, that's a big part of what makes up the Hot 100- and affects recurrent airplay and sustained strong sales for catalog albums (which she lacks).

Usher's 'Club' Rockets 50 Spots To Top Hot 100, And Janet's "Feedback" Makes A Comeback!

usher_03l.gif

March 06, 2008, 10:35 AM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Usher posts the third-largest jump to No. 1 in Billboard Hot 100 history as "Love in This Club" featuring Young Jeezy, zooms 51-1. It also opens at No. 1 on Hot Digital Songs with 198,000 downloads, the largest first-week sum since Sean Kingston shifted 260,000 in the Aug. 11, 2007, issue.

The track is from Usher's new album, "Here I Stand," due in June via LaFace/Zomba.

Flo Rida's "Low," which has been No. 1 on the Hot 100 for 10 weeks, drops to No. 2. But it sets a new record as it spends its 13th straight week atop the RingMasters chart, eclipsing the mark of 12 weeks set by Soulja Boy's "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" in November 2007. "Low" is 2008's top selling RingMaster, having moved more than 800,000 units in the first two months of the year.

On the Hot 100, Chris Brown's "With You" slips 2-3, Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music" is down 3-4 and Sara Bareilles' "Love Song" falls 4-5. Jordin Sparks' "No Air" featuring Chris Brown jumps 13-6, and Timbaland's "Apologize" featuring OneRepublic drops 6-7.

Alicia Keys' "No One" slides 5-8, as Webbie, Lil' Phat & Boosie's "Independent" holds at No. 9. Snoop Dogg's "Sensual Seduction" falls 7-10 to round out the top 10.

Janet Jackson's "Feedback" is the chart's top digital gainer after selling 81,000 downloads. As reported yesterday, her new Island Def Jam album, "Discipline," debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200.

The chart's top debut comes from Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova's "Falling Slowly," which recently won the best song Oscar. The track from the film "Once" opens at No. 61 after selling 41,000 downloads.

On Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, Keyshia Cole's "I Remember" is No. 1 for a fourth week. The top debut comes from DAY26, the latest entrant in Diddy's "Making the Band" series. Their song "Got Me Going" starts at No. 72; the group's debut album arrives March 25.

Carrie Underwood overtakes the top slot on Hot Country Songs with "All-American Girl," which races 5-1. Her fourth No. 1 on the tally nudges Rodney Atkins' "Cleaning This Gun (Come on in Boy)" down to No. 2.

It's business as usual on Billboard's rock charts, with Foo Fighters' "Long Road To Ruin" at No. 1 on Modern Rock for a third week and Puddle Of Mudd's "Psycho" leading Mainstream Rock for a fourth.

Additional reporting by Silvio Pietroluongo and Anthony Colombo.

Billboard.Com

Usher posts the third-largest jump to No. 1 in Billboard Hot 100 history as "Love in This Club" featuring Young Jeezy, zooms 51-1. It also opens at No. 1 on Hot Digital Songs with 198,000 downloads, the largest first-week sum since Sean Kingston shifted 260,000 in the Aug. 11, 2007, issue.

I hope this figure will sustain for another 6 weeks :demonic:

I hope this figure will sustain for another 6 weeks :demonic:

yeah... but I fear Mariah appearance in American Idol then Oprah the week of the album release can still maintain TMB having huge download sales... UGH

"Break the Ice" likely won't peak as high as "Piece of Me" on the Hot 100. I may concur about it being a well-procued CD- doesn't make it great album, tho- any phone sex operator could have called in the much of the vocals.

Can understand a mega Spears fan not caring about airplay, as it's never been a strong suit for her. But, that's a big part of what makes up the Hot 100- and affects recurrent airplay and sustained strong sales for catalog albums (which she lacks).

:demonic:

No wonder Janet could make such a great album as Blackout, come on Jim, just give up to Britney already, she has some great gaytastic songs on Blackout waiting to delight your ears :vanitybonet:

More like gimme gimme gimme permanent ear damage. ;) In the words of Simon Cowell- sawry. She's as hackish as they come, especially with this album (as better as it may be than her others).

Guest MentalLamb

WEAKEND SALES: The top of next week's chart will sport two Jacksons and a Johnson, with another Jackson in the Top 10. Confused? Yeah, well, join the club. Arista Nashville country icon Alan Jackson's Good Time looks headed for #1 Tuesday, with a debut in the 105-110k range. Brushfire/Universal Republic's Jack Johnson appears the favorite to land at #2, with 55-60k, followed by last week's chart topper, IDJ's Janet Jackson with 50-55k and J's Alicia Keys (40-45k). The Black Crowes' Warpaint, on their own Silver Arrow label (currently #2 on iTunes), and SideOneDummy Irish punk-rockers Flogging Molly, will both bow in the Top 10, sporting between 35-40k, battling it out with Epic's Sara Bareilles and that other Jackson, Sony Legacy's Michael, for the last spot in the Top 5 with 35-40k. The rest of the potential Top 10 will include two of the following: Universal Motown's Erykah Badu, Universal Republic's Amy Winehouse, Big Machine/Universal Republic's Taylor Swift, Geffen's Mary J. Blige and Universal Motown's debuting Michael McDonald, all with around 30-35k. (3/7p)

Geez! those are really bad numbers. Looks like Janet really is over. This album will struggle to reach 500k, so that's now 3 consecutive studio albums that will sell 1m or less in the US. :shock: