The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Pleased she is closing down on Westlife's 14 number 1s, even though I think this song is pants. She so deserves to have more number 1s than they do.

Oh indeed - she's also lost out on the number 1 spot to such DREADFUL SHIT over the years so it's only RIGHT that one of her less deserving tracks should make up for it.

Am I alone in considering "4 Minutes" worthy of the #1 spot? I absolutely love the song and feel that it completely deserves to be #1. It's so catchy and so much fun!!

Regarding the chart trajectory so far for the single, as Queen Bitch pointed out, this is the first time that a lead Madonna single has been released since the chart rules were changed to allow digital only tracks to chart. Madonna's only released one single in the digital era - "Jump" - everything else was released when a physical single had to be in stores before the digital sales could contribute to the chart position.

Guest Caresse Henry

From that nice Father Andy site:

Friday Top 40 MW update - no sales info

Singles

1 Madonna

2 Estelle

3 Sam Sparro

4 Flo-Rida

5 September

Top 10

Usher

Last Shadow Puppets

Top 15

Scouting For Girls

Britney Spears

Top 20

will.i.am

Top 30

Goldfrapp

Kanye West

Top 40

Cahill

MGMT

Gabriella Cilmi

Albums

1 Kooks

2 Mariah Carey

3 Leona Lewis

4 Duffy

5 Elliot Minor

Top 10

Scouting For Girls

Top 15

Sarah Brightman

Top 20

Goldfrapp

Top 30

Jack Johnson

Mark Ronson

Cascada

Top 40

Children Of Bodom

Hannah Montana

Britney Spears

Blood Red Shoes

Gabriella Cilmi

Am I alone in considering "4 Minutes" worthy of the #1 spot? I absolutely love the song and feel that it completely deserves to be #1. It's so catchy and so much fun!!

Regarding the chart trajectory so far for the single, as Queen Bitch pointed out, this is the first time that a lead Madonna single has been released since the chart rules were changed to allow digital only tracks to chart. Madonna's only released one single in the digital era - "Jump" - everything else was released when a physical single had to be in stores before the digital sales could contribute to the chart position.

No, there are a lot of people who think it worthy. They just aren't as vocal as the ones who don't.

No, there are a lot of people who think it worthy. They just aren't as vocal as the ones who don't.

Indeed I think it is very worthy to be #1 everywhere. And I don't see it "more american", it is just a good pop product and it has all it takes to outsell Hung Up everywhere. The only difference is that it started slowly with promotion, Hung up had the video from the beginning and had a huge promotion from the MTV awards' performance, only because the release of the album was closer. This time the album is released a little bit later, so she waited a little for the big promotion, but maybe this can be a smart decision, since the single is still strong everywhere and for sure the peak is yet to come everywhere. We also have to consider that now Itunes has a bigger impact than in 2005, so it won't be hard to outsell the huge success of Hung Up.

Guest Caresse Henry

Thanks Mr Ciccone! Thursday difference was 2.8K, and now it's 5K. I think a Numero Uno is certain...

Sales:

4 1 4 MINUTES MADONNA FT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE 27,538

1 2 AMERICAN BOY ESTELLE FT KANYE WEST 22,527

7k more, 6k the day before, 5k the day before that. Sales may reach 45k by Sunday. There has been a real upturn in sales this week.

Guest Stefanos
7k more, 6k the day before, 5k the day before that. Sales may reach 45k by Sunday. There has been a real upturn in sales this week.

Is this digital sales only? (genuine question)

Wow! People do download considering the quality is shit

Sales:

4 1 4 MINUTES MADONNA FT JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE 27,538

1 2 AMERICAN BOY ESTELLE FT KANYE WEST 22,527

This song is FANTASTIC and deserves to be #01 everywhere in World!

This song should do a lot better than HUNG UP everywhere in the world... since the beggining that I have a feeling that will actually do better than HUNG UP worldwide charts... and now it seems I was right ;)

Guest SuperPop

This song should do a lot better than HUNG UP everywhere in the world... since the beggining that I have a feeling that will actually do better than HUNG UP worldwide charts... and now it seems I was right ;)

4M will be a hit a la 'Music' proportions...'Hung Up' success is nearly impossible to attain (bar US obviously)...except if 4M remains to the top5 of most countries for the following 3 months (like HU did..but then HU competed in the most busy period of the year - Christmas) which I doubt

and this song wont do better than HU worldwide because it is light years worse than the latter (although it is still a good song)

hopefully 'Give It To Me' will be her 14th no1 in UK, after the May promotion and the video which is seem to have been shot :fag::thumbsup:

Anyone else think that the new 'Portishead' could be a challenge for Hard Candy? Its above HC is almost every chart (pre-order etc) except HMV and read on some forums that it could even challenge HC for number 1? x

Guest Danny86
    In Italy for example 4M can't reach Hung up chart success cause HU was nr 1 for 15 consecutive weeks

But isn't that because downloads weren't counted and the physical singles market was already dying, so it was easy for a big Madonna hit to stay #1 for 15 weeks? Same for the charts in Germany and Canada for example.

I don't think it's fair to compare the weeks on #1 when the chart climate is much different now.

In the US it's going to be one of her best selling singles ever and it got to #1 on the UWC much faster, so in a way it's already bigger than "Hung Up".

Anyone else think that the new 'Portishead' could be a challenge for Hard Candy? Its above HC is almost every chart (pre-order etc) except HMV and read on some forums that it could even challenge HC for number 1? x

Nah. I always think it's a bit off to base performane predictions on internet pre-orders, because most hardcore fans of an artist are going to go buy it on day of release and not wait for it to be delivered. And Madonna obviously has a much bigger fanbase than Portishead.

Guest tir69
    But isn't that because downloads weren't counted and the physical singles market was already dying, so it was easy for a big Madonna hit to stay #1 for 15 weeks? Same for the charts in Germany and Canada for example.

I don't think it's fair to compare the weeks on #1 when the chart climate is much different now.

In the US it's going to be one of her best selling singles ever and it got to #1 on the UWC much faster, so in a way it's already bigger than "Hung Up".

yep I agree but in Italy hung up physical support sold around 40.000 copies and digital download was at 120.000 copies.

I don't know if 4M download + physical will touch these numbers

Well even if it does get to number 1, I doubt it will stay there for three weeks and give her the chance of doing the double with HC going to number 1 on the album chart. Am I right in thinking HU/Confessions did this? I know the only other occasions were PDP/TB and LAP/LAP.

Review of 4 minutes from 'The Sun:

2.5 out of 5 '' Yawn. Madonna teams up with Timberlake and Timberland on this first track from Hard Candy. Nothing original here. Who cares about Madge anymore? ''

Review of 4 minutes from 'The Sun:

2.5 out of 5 '' Yawn. Madonna teams up with Timberlake and Timberland on this first track from Hard Candy. Nothing original here. Who cares about Madge anymore? ''

:lmao:

Has that come out today? They're new showbiz supremo is clearly a CLUELESS Madonna hater.

:lmao:

Has that come out today? They're new showbiz supremo is clearly a CLUELESS Madonna hater.

Yea it was in the 'Somthing for the weekend' section, It says they single reviewer was Jacqui swift who ever that is! x

This is the first time since the early 90s that the lead single from a Madonna album has been on the charts for even just one week before the album was released. Hung Up, American Life, Frozen and Secret were released the week before the album was released and they charted in the UK the day before the album itself hit the shelves. Now everything is different, of course.

As for 4 Minutes being bigger than Hung Up, it's not there yet and I doubt it will reach that level (the US aside, of course). I was in Italy for 6 weeks of its 15 week reign at the top and it was far an away the most popular song in the country at the time - it wasn't a case of nothing else selling, either. Hung Up was a phenomenon. It was played to death on the radio, every second person had it as their ring tone, every second shop you walked past was playing it, the video was on TV all the time...it was a major smash hit. It still holds the records for the highest tally of #1 placings of all time for a single and I'm not convinced yet that 4M will match that over the next few weeks.....

Having said that, 4M is clearly a worldwide smash hit. It's just not a Hung Up sized smash at this stage (again, the US is the exception).

Guest Caresse Henry

As a former Madonna manager (a bit under the influence of white whine, I might add) let me say a huge FUCK YOU to anyone doubting 4M will go Top 3 on the UK charts. NOTHING will be as huge as Hung Up, but she she is doing remarkably well with her new single, Justin or not. Which other artist would benefit of having worldwide hits album after album? Come'on, I represent Ricky Martin and he SUNK t unknown territories because his musical choices were SHITE (of course he acted against my advice). So let the Ciconne BITCH enjoy her CROWN. Even if it's a THORNY ONE.