The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

the physical sales will catapult 4 MINUTES to #1... so many version loitering in the top 10 of the HMV site...

Fingers crossed. That Estelle has lasted to much.....by the way mtzlplk...do you sleep? :smile:

It's great it holds inside TOP 10!

Mariah failed TOP 5 even with her UK Promo Tour and amazing single price... and will be very difficult for her to achieve it now as first week downloads was also physical release and physical single is already slipping down at HMV... and so is her song on the UK download websites. She was #01 physical single for HMV last week overall and it's now at #05 on sales... she is also #09 on downloads now... just to let you know that during the week she never went higher than 4 because at least 3 different versions of 4 Minutes were always ahead of her... but for overall of the week pre-orders don't count. All these pre-order sales will be added to 4 Minutes first week sales.

Nice to see that "ALWAYS WHERE I NEED TO BE" by Kooks jumped #71 to #02... this may give you an idea of the power a physical single still have in UK. Last week this song was only available for downloads ;)

Britney new single Physical release in UK is 14/04... and it's doing very good being #25 on downloads alone! Physical single seems to have only 1 CDS and it's #09 at HMV right now... though the 4 Madonna versions of 4 Minutes are ahead ;)

I have no doubts that 4 MINUTES will be #01 as soon as is available as a Physical single as. The release date was done so the news that she got to #01 in UK come out on the same day the album is released. Very smart move actually!

Kooks were also at 0,98£ at Amazon and are now #37 among all CDs (albums +singles)

Mariah had 2 versions: 0,98£ (ranking #12 now) and 1,98 (ranking #06 now)

Madonna single is very expensive at AMAZON.CO.UK :shock:

CDS £ 3,99 (ranking #612)

CDS2 £3,99 (ranking #360)

Vynil £4,99 (ranking #7.081)

Import £10,49 (ranking #5.945)

Hard Candy it's ranking #51 on Amazon UK sales right now!

One more info: Mariah and Kooks were both selling for 0,99£ at HMV...

It's great it holds inside TOP 10!

Mariah failed TOP 5 even with her UK Promo Tour and amazing single price... and will be very difficult for her to achieve it now as first week downloads was also physical release and physical single is already slipping down at HMV... and so is her song on the UK download websites.

:thumbsup:

Her cheap tactics ain't working that well cross the atlantic!

This will probably be her best chart position for TMB across all Europe!

Hail the Queen of locals!

while 4 Minutes has already been #5 in the UK, without promo and physical release and "amazing single prices"

They should seriously bring the single forward a week, what are they thinking???

Relax boy!

I really think the single release date is the best to avoid competition and be more close from album release.

Besides, it's one more week to accumulate pre-orders and make a bigger first week sales ;)

This single will be #01, no need to worry.

I know what I'm talking about, I'm marketing manager and already worked for the music industry.

Warner is doing things perfectly planned this time arround :D

Sometimes they do the trick right ;)

The only thing I don't get it's the single high price at amazon... £ 3.99 is expensive for a new single when most of them are being sold for £ 1,99 and £ 2,99... or even £ 0,98 (Mariah Carey)

Relax boy!

I really think the single release date is the best to avoid competition and be more close from album release.

I know what I'm talking about, I'm marketing manager and already worked for the music industry. Warner is doing things perfectly planned this time arround :D

oh you're a marketing manager!? :dramatic:

sign me up for a job... lol

Guest SuperPop
Relax boy!

Besides, it's one more week to accumulate pre-orders and make a bigger first week sales ;)

I know what I'm talking about, I'm marketing manager and already worked for the music industry.

Warner is doing things perfectly planned this time arround :D

Sometimes they do the trick right ;)

The only thing I don't get it's the single high price at amazon... £ 3.99 is expensive for a new single when most of them are being sold for £ 1,99 and £ 2,99... or even £ 0,98 (Mariah Carey)

sorry but it is amazing how deluded you can be considering the UK chart and the physical market....

the best time if they wanted a surefire no1 was to release the physical this week...she is already no3 in Itunes (rose again) , the video is out tmw (so much buzz generated)..so even with 30.000 sales on physical she could hit the spot...now that the release date is so late the momentum will be lost...we only hope that she has very high physical sales at least (in the region of 50.000) so she has a chance for the top spot

sorry but it is amazing how deluded you can be considering the UK chart and the physical market....

the best time if they wanted a surefire no1 was to release the physical this week...she is already no3 in Itunes (rose again) , the video is out tmw (so much buzz generated)..so even with 30.000 sales on physical she could hit the spot...now that the release date is so late the momentum will be lost...we only hope that she has very high physical sales at least (in the region of 50.000) so she has a chance for the top spot

Unless there is an unexpected promo during the next week? Who knows? This era has given a lot of surprises.

The physical version of a lead single for a Madonna album has always been released in the UK a week before the album (DADay aside). They're following their usual game plan here. The only real concern is the hiccup in airplay. Hopefully it will rise next week.

Guest Danny86
The physical version of a lead single for a Madonna album has always been released in the UK a week before the album (DADay aside).

Exactly.

And that's NEVER on the same week as the video premiere. They always let the video to build some additional hype.

Besides, how can anyone know the momentum on iTunes would die down in 2 weeks? It's been constantly in top 5 of iTunes for 3 weeks already...

Guest SuperPop
Besides, how can anyone know the momentum on iTunes would die down in 2 weeks? It's been constantly in top 5 of iTunes for 3 weeks already...

Its basic logic...its the rule of diminishing returns as the time passes...except if this was a megahit (aka 'Mercy', 'Umbrella', Bleeding Love') which isnt

Guest Danny86
Its basic logic...its the rule of diminishing returns as the time passes...except if this was a megahit (aka 'Mercy', 'Umbrella', Bleeding Love') which isnt

Considering the video is premiering only now and Madonna is actually higher than iTunes now than she was a week ago, you're not really using basic logic.

It didn't even have a chance to become a megahit in such a short time. In fact its airplay chart run so far matches the run of "Music" actually.

It's really tiring that you keep on hammering how the song is doing badly, and everyone who thinks the song is going to be #1 in some weeks is "delusional".

Guest SuperPop
Considering the video is premiering only now and Madonna is actually higher than iTunes now than she was a week ago, you're not really using basic logic.

It didn't even have a chance to become a megahit in such a short time. In fact its airplay chart run so far matches the run of "Music" actually.

It's really tiring that you keep on hammering how the song is doing badly, and everyone who thinks the song is going to be #1 in some weeks is "delusional".

:manson::manson: no the tiresome thing is YOU constantly attacking everyone in the forum that adresses something negative considering the project...and I never stated anyone delusional by stating that 4M can hit no1...I even say that it is very plausible..for gods sake stop putting worlds in my mouth I havent said...if you knew the UK market (which I assume you dont have a clue) you would also find delusional, posts like '4M is going to sell over 100.000 in physical' or 'they have such a late release date because they want to accumulate the HMV pre-orders'...I follow the UK charts since 1996 and I live in the UK, so at least that gives me a mere better knowledge on these particular charts...I dont want to diminish the song's perfomance...I just want to state the things correctly rather than listening to loon-delusional predictions..

p.s. 3 weeks is not a short time for a megahit to occur bytheway...eventually it will be a big hit but not a megahit (at least in the UK)

You Believe What You Wanna Believe.

Madonna is a different artist and if you check back the UK Charts just give one song that without a video and being released to downloads at the same time that was released to radio got to the TOP 10 based on downloads only and stayed there for 3 weeks... still without a video...

Well, there is only one and that's 4 MINUTES.

If that's not enough for you then you don't have any idea of the impact radio, video and promo can do for a song in UK. The solo fact that the week before single release will be a week full of Madonna covers will help her getting a few spots. Plus there is always advertising for the first single of a new Madonna album on the week of release.

If you were following the charts since 1993 like me you would that by now for sure ;)

And yes, physical sales will be higher than you expect! Just look at the numbers when they come out baby ;)

That would be the same '4 Minutes' that is currently outselling 'Touch My Body' on both the UK and US i-tunes? The same '4 Minutes' that re-entered the itunes top 3 in the UK yesterday?

It really is pathetic when you have to resort to blatant misinterpretations in order to feel superior.

That would be the same '4 Minutes' that is currently outselling 'Touch My Body' on both the UK and US i-tunes? The same '4 Minutes' that re-entered the itunes top 3 in the UK yesterday?

It really is pathetic when you have to resort to blatant misinterpretations in order to feel superior.

:megamanson:

Well this week is the one where we see whether the song is catching on with the general public as the video has been aired. It still has potential to grow in advance of the physical release. Itunes is already seeing an improvement.

But, whatever your point of view on this song is, it is not good news that it has fallen back to number 8 and its sales are falling back each week. I still think it will pick up good sales over a few weeks but will struggle to reach number 1, unless Estelle's sales decline and no other song comes along with over 40k in a week.

Personally, I have downloaded it and for the first time since Dear Jessie, I won't be buying any physical copy of this single. I have played it five times on my ipod and it still holds no interest for me.

Personally, I have downloaded it and for the first time since Dear Jessie, I won't be buying any physical copy of this single. I have played it five times on my ipod and it still holds no interest for me.

I don't think I'll bother with the physical either - first time since MATM. I find it gets WORSE the more I hear it.

Yes we know what you think of the song. We knew about 25 pages ago, and have found out almost every page since.

Slight exaggeration. "We" also know what you think of the song too. Pot calling the kettle black?

Now, now, kiddies, be nice to each other.

James Masterson (UK chart commentator) makes specific mention of the fact that the video has only just been released and that this will have an impact on on its chart position:

"That is pretty much it as far as Top 10 action is concerned, although the main casualties appear to be Madonna and JT who slide 5-8 with the still download only '4 Minutes'. I'd call this a vindication of my suspicion that the single would run out of steam even before it was properly made available, but for the minor quirk that the video for the track has only been released this week, the result being the single will now get TV airplay that had hitherto been denied to it. Don't underestimate the impact of this, and write its further chart prospects off at your peril."

He should know what he's talking about....

I don't think I'll bother with the physical either - first time since MATM. I find it gets WORSE the more I hear it.

Urghh, MATM, please don't remind me of her other major cop out.

Slight exaggeration. "We" also know what you think of the song too. Pot calling the kettle black?

Puh-lease, I haven't banged on about loving the song at all. I don't have a problem with anyone disliking it, I just don't see why the same handful of people feel the need to tell us all over and over and over again that they don't like it and it's doing badly and they're not going to buy it. We get it already.