The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Guest Danny86
for a big artist anything less than top3 in the UK is not a very good result..especially for Madge which is really loved in the UK, considering that American Life peaked no2 (and it was even no1 in the midweeks)...UK charts are completely different with the US ones , mainly because they are based solely in sales and not airplay..

That's an unfair comparison, UK charts in 2008 are much different than in 2003. "American Life" went to #2 with like 32k sales, it had 3 weeks of airplay, the video controversy and 3 formats. "4 Minutes" sold 20k in its first week when it was released to iTunes right away.

Madonna will end up top 3, but it really is delusional to demand her top the UK chart right away just because she has a great history there. And for the record, in 2008 there have been more #1s in the USA than in the UK, in the UK there was only 3. Not to mention that now the non-#1s are considered hits as well: Rihanna's "Don't Stop The Music" or Timbaland's "Apologize" never reached #1 yet they have been on the charts forever!

It's all very well turning round and saying that 'we all have different opinions and predictions', but we've had a handful of people saying the same thing over and over and jumping on anyone who dares to not think '4 Minutes' isn't very good. Yes, it's a forum and people need to relax (and yes sometimes I'm as guilty as that as anyone).

Ok, no worries.

Anyone have the latest mids?

Guest SuperPop
That's an unfair comparison, UK charts in 2008 are much different than in 2003. "American Life" went to #2 with like 32k sales, it had 3 weeks of airplay, the video controversy and 3 formats. "4 Minutes" sold 20k in its first week when it was released to iTunes right away.

its not unfair at all because we dont compare chart stats/sales but chart peak...AL was much more difficult song than 4M..it didnt have Justin , neither Timbaland...the video controversy killed the song's potential (especially after the final dreadful video)...it was released in 2 formats (cd1 and cd2 single)..and it didnt have the airplay that 4M has (it didnt break the UK airplay top10...and 4M was already no6 in its second week of airplay...it has double airplay that AL had)

Madonna will end up top 3, but it really is delusional to demand her top the UK chart right away just because she has a great history there. And for the record, in 2008 there have been more #1s in the USA than in the UK, in the UK there was only 3.

:manson::confused: What?

Not to mention that now the non-#1s are considered hits as well: Rihanna's "Don't Stop The Music" or Timbaland's "Apologize" never reached #1 yet they have been on the charts forever!

sure but DSTM is a fourth single and Apologize a third single...dont forget Timbaland's first and second single reached no1 , as well as Rihanna's first single...here the comparison is totally wrong..u cant compare 4M with a third or a fourth single...even if we compared them , 4M till now doesnt have the sales of a megahit...

eventually , I believe that a top3 is very plausible but the dynamics of such a song screamed no1...

Guest SuperPop

Thursday Update

SINGLES

01 Estelle

02 Flo-Rida

03 Kooks

04 Sam Sparro

05 Duffy

06 Leona lewis

07 Mariah Carey

08 Madonna

09 Chris Brown

10 Nickelback

Top 20

Courteeners (NE)

Usher

Top 30

Radiohead (NE - #22)

Yael Naim

Britney Spears (#28)

Scouting For Girls

Top 40

Fragma (Toca's Miracle - #36)

Roisin Murphy (#38)

ALBUMS

01 REM (NE)

02 Duffy

03 Leona

04 Estelle (NE)

05 Nickelback

06 OneRepublic

07 Amy Winehouse

08 PATD

09 Raconteurs

10 James Blunt

Top 20

Chris Brown

Gnarls Barkley (NE)

Muse - #19

Top 30

Girls Aloud

Snoop Dogg (NE)

Black Keys (NE)

Michael McDonald (NE)

Flo-Rida (NE)

Kate Nash

Top 40

Gabriella Cilmi (NE)

Specials (NE)

Oh good grief! How many singles have reached #1 on downloads alone? Relatively few! 4M has been on the airwaves for two weeks.....TWO weeks! There's no video yet and she's done no promo yet. If she's not #1 on April 27th, then the naysayers can crow all they like, but until then, it's futile comparing 4M's chart performance with ANY of Madonna's previous singles.

How can she be above Madonna if 4M is at # 5 on itunes? Is TMB already available as a physical single?

I believe it is

Oh good grief! How many singles have reached #1 on downloads alone? Relatively few! 4M has been on the airwaves for two weeks.....

That's a faulty arguement, downloads are the biggest format as far as the UK singles chart goes, combined physical sales for the entire year are less than 1 million copies so Madonna is FLOPPING.

What's more, the STUPID CUNTS aren't putting the video out until next week. She'll be out of the top 10 by Sunday.

Oh good grief! How many singles have reached #1 on downloads alone? Relatively few! 4M has been on the airwaves for two weeks.....TWO weeks! There's no video yet and she's done no promo yet. If she's not #1 on April 27th, then the naysayers can crow all they like, but until then, it's futile comparing 4M's chart performance with ANY of Madonna's previous singles.

Indeed, but some people just like to complain. I can't think of ANY ACT IN THE WORLD who would be number one on downloads based on two weeks airplay and having been on sale for most of that time. Sheesh.

How can she be above Madonna if 4M is at # 5 on itunes? Is TMB already available as a physical single?

She is #15 at HMV physical singles charts. Let's see if she can hold TOP 10 until Sunday as she starts mid-weeks high and usually dive until Sunday...

Usually her first singles from an album go TOP 10... and that's almost it for TOP 10's ;)

Guest Danny86
its not unfair at all because we dont compare chart stats/sales but chart peak...AL was much more difficult song than 4M..it didnt have Justin , neither Timbaland...the video controversy killed the song's potential (especially after the final dreadful video)...it was released in 2 formats (cd1 and cd2 single)..and it didnt have the airplay that 4M has (it didnt break the UK airplay top10...and 4M was already no6 in its second week of airplay...it has double airplay that AL had)

Comparing chart peaks is always a bad method. That's like saying American Life did better than Ray Of Light because the latter only reached #2 (in the US album charts, in case you say I don't know the facts), and there are dozens of other examples. It's simply a wrong argument. "American Life" was stuck behind a song that had been #1 for 4 weeks so it was very weak, regardless of the peak.

And in 2008 only 3 songs reached #1 so far: "Now You're Gone", "Mercy" & "American Boy". If you don't even know stuff like that, I don't really see how can you complain about the chart performance of "4 Minutes", but anyway...

i guess number three.

number one it's very difficult even if will be released 5 different single formats (digital - cd single 2 and 3 tracks - picture disc and lp)

Guest SuperPop
Comparing chart peaks is always a bad method. That's like saying American Life did better than Ray Of Light because the latter only reached #2 (in the US album charts, in case you say I don't know the facts), and there are dozens of other examples. It's simply a wrong argument. "American Life" was stuck behind a song that had been #1 for 4 weeks so it was very weak, regardless of the peak.

firstly albums are a completely different situation than singles...the chart position is much more important for singles rather than albums where sales is the important factor...

secondly even if we dont judge the peak of the song, the sales of 4M currently are mediocre to say the least...she sold 40.000 in 2 weeks and this week she is expected to sell around 15-16000...the thing is, that everyone excepts a Madge first single to reach no1..even more with the participation of such a high profile artist and producer....

And in 2008 only 3 songs reached #1 so far: "Now You're Gone", "Mercy" & "American Boy". If you don't even know stuff like that, I don't really see how can you complain about the chart performance of "4 Minutes", but anyway...

:p oops...sorry I thought you were talking about 2007... :lol:

bytheway 4 no1 have charted at no1 in 2008...dont forget Leon Jackson (although he was topping the charts since December)

What's more, the STUPID CUNTS aren't putting the video out until next week. She'll be out of the top 10 by Sunday.

Not putting out the video until next week was a VERY BAD move on Warners part. I guess they want to get as much many out of fans as they can with the

i Tunes exclusive.

The only people calling it a flop (QUEEN BITCH) are the ones who dislike the song. Rather transparent, wouldn't you say.

More like I'm being proved RIGHT - I don't like recent number 1s by Duffy and Adele but I can see why they were massive hits - I don't like 4 Minutes because it's CRAP, hence it FLOPPING in the UK. :demonic:

i guess number three.

number one it's very difficult even if will be released 5 different single formats (digital - cd single 2 and 3 tracks - picture disc and lp)

I believe only 3 formats (physical single) will be counted towards the chart.

I don't recall there's a LP release in UK.

Friday Update Top 40 Only

Singles

01 Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy

02 Flo Rida feat. T Pain - Low

03 Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be

04 Sam Sparro - Black & Gold (D)

05 Duffy - Mercy

Top 10

(7) Mariah Carey - Touch My Body

Madonna - 4 Minutes (D)

Top 15

(14) Girls Aloud - Can't Speak French

Top 20

The Courteeners - Not Nineteen Forever

Top 30

Radiohead - Nude (D)

(27) Britney Spears - Break The Ice (D)

Scouting For Girls - Heartbeat (D)

Yael Naim - New Soul

Top 40

Fragma - Toca's Miracle (D

Guest Danny86

By the way, with "Low" being so huge in the UK, nobody ever should say how anti-R&B/hip hop the UK is...

That's a faulty arguement, downloads are the biggest format as far as the UK singles chart goes, combined physical sales for the entire year are less than 1 million copies so Madonna is FLOPPING.

OK, so what you're suggesting is that physical singles mean nothing, even though it's very difficult for a single to get to #1 without a physical release?? Hmmmm....I don't think I'm the one with the faulty argument :thumbsup:

More like I'm being proved RIGHT - I don't like recent number 1s by Duffy and Adele but I can see why they were massive hits - I don't like 4 Minutes because it's CRAP, hence it FLOPPING in the UK. :demonic:

Please stop bitching and don't say so many lies... "they go back to you" :boxing:

By the way... if you want to see how the new single (physical) pre-orders is doing just go to www.HMV.co.uk and check out the 4 different versions of 4 minutes on the TOP 10... including #01, #02, #03 and #04 positions... and that's already for 2 weeks now... she will make surprise sales for the first week sales... I already ordered the 4 ;)

Prices are 1,99 (CDS) / 4,99 (vynil PD) / 5,99 (vynil double) / 2,99 (CDS)

I'm now already expecting a huge first week selling... a lot more than the 20.000/30.000 most recent #01's have for Physical sales nowadays. I would say that together physical and downloads will probably be higher than 100.000 copies on the week of single release...

You are going to be very shocked with it... but isn't Madonna shocking you all the time? ;) We know she is :D

PS: Mariah is at #01 on the single chart they have... that's probably because her single is selling at HMV at 0,99 - the same US #01's price strategy she used to have??? :nocomment:

Please stop bitching and don't say so many lies... "they go back to you" :boxing:

By the way... if you want to see how the new single (physical) pre-orders is doing just go to www.HMV.co.uk and check out the 4 different versions of 4 minutes on the TOP 10... including #01, #02, #03 and #04 positions... and that's already for 2 weeks now... she will make surprise sales for the first week sales... I already ordered the 4 ;)

Prices are 1,99 (CDS) / 4,99 (vynil PD) / 5,99 (vynil double) / 2,99 (CDS)

I'm now already expecting a huge first week selling... a lot more than the 20.000/30.000 most recent #01's have for Physical sales nowadays. I would say that together physical and downloads will probably be higher than 100.000 copies on the week of single release...

You are going to be very shocked with it... but isn't Madonna shocking you all the time? ;) We know she is :D

PS: Mariah is at #01 on the single chart they have... that's probably because her single is selling at HMV at 0,99 - the same US #01's price strategy she used to have??? :nocomment:

When will 4M be released in UK? I mean... as a physical single?

Guest SuperPop

:manson::manson::manson: please stop being delusional...you are completely ignorant of the UK chart....in order 4M to sell more than 100.000 it must sell at least 80.000-90.000 on physical (and I am choosing an unrealistic scenario that her digital sales remain constant) which is clearly IMPOSSIBLE....4M is heading for the region of 16.000 sales this week (it seems that the digital sales are falling each week since the digital release)...so by the physical release , the most probable case is that the digital sales will be around 8000...even on the best case scenario physical sales will be 40.000-50.000 (which is huge number in the current physical market) and that would give Madge a top3 position (a no1 is not out of the question although it is quite difficult)

HU had first week physical sales of 105.128..and HU was light years bigger hit in the UK..it was released in the holiday period (where sales are in general higher) and the physical market then was still healthy...so claiming that 4M will reach equivalent sales is unrealistic and delusion