The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

The 'huge airplay' in the UK has been less than 3 weeks, and the first week of that it wasn't in the Top 10 of airplay. I'd like to see what other artists would have 3 weeks in the Top 10 based on that. Look at Kylie's 'Wow' - it had huge airplay but only inched up the chart week by week before only going top 5 when the physical was released. That is what happens with the chart these days. The days of songs entering at their peak and then dropping are over, which so many people in here can't seem to grasp.

Songs DO get to number 1 with little airplay. HU was the number 1 download in its second week of airplay, and was number 2 in its first week. This first week had a very similar strategy as 4M. The song was premiered on Radio 1 on the Friday and it was available as a download almost straight away. 4M is sliding down the download chart already and it is just into its third week. It should be gaining. HU stayed the number one download for weeks after its physical release too.

4M does have a chance of climbing the download chart with extra promotion and airplay but it is already obvious that it wont give her album the massive launch that HU gave COADF.

Also, there is no chance the physical will sell 50k. Downloads have taken over now and even in 2005, HU "only" managed about 75k physical first week.

Well not quite. The 'Hung Up' download was 4 days after the radio debut. Plus downloads account for far more sales now than they did in 2005, so '4 Minutes' would have to sell more in order to go to number 1 on the download chart than 'Hung Up' would have had to.

I'm not for a second saying that it'll be as big a hit, but I think the people saying '4 Minutes' should be at number one by now are just deluded.

Guest SuperPop
By The way... Touch My Body single is selling for £0,99 at HMV and it's only at #15 so Mariah will likely fail UK TOP 10 (4 Minutes its at #02 on that generic Single Sales Chart/ 4 Minutes it's at #01/#08/#09 and #10 at the pre-order Single Chart)

NEWSFLASH: Mariah is already Top10

The thing is: songs don't get to TOP 10 based on downloads without airplay but... this is Madonna... we are very lucky she is already TOP 10 as Justin Timberlake wasn't even top 40 after 3 weeks of airplay and got to #01 after single release. Expect a several weeks #01 in UK

By the way... physical singles on first week will be surely more than 50.000 copies... despite physical singles huge decline.

are you deluded?

firstly she is no6 in the UK airplay chart (and as it seems she will even rise more this Sunday)....she is receiving huge airplay

secondly, it seems that you dont have an idea how the UK markets now works...there is no way 4M will sell more than 50.000 in the physical format..as kangarooz we must be very happy if she sells 30.000 in physical....3 weeks ago it was reported that the no39 position in the chart sold no more than 300 copies in physical form....now that Zavii have stopped stocking singles the physical decline will be even bigger..

And the vid is premiering on fri, but when is it goin to be added to music channels?

The music channels add new videos on Fridays with the exception of Flaunt, which adds them as they're released.

However, this is a lead single from a major act so it should trumpeted with a special, televised slot, not just appear with all the ohter new vids on the music channels.

How is that a flop? That sounds a little too dramatic!!! It seems to be doing great on radios. Hung Up was a HUGE hit, anything compare to that would be a flop. She can't have that level of success for every album.

It's a :flop: in the UK. Momentum should be building and it's not. I think HC will be her first studio album to miss the top spot in the UK in 14 years.

eh.....no. If 'American Life' can do it, 'Hard Candy' can certainly do it off the back of a single which has been top 10 for 2 weeks based on 2 weeks of airplay!

Sheesh, some of you are really being insanely over-dramatic.

As for it 'not building' - it's rising up the airplay chart, the video is about the come, and downloads in the second week had a tiny drop off when you would have expected a massive drop off.

I really don't get why people can't understand that it's still very early days for this song. I have friends who buy every Madonna album who still haven't even heard it. Why not compare it to 'Music' or 'Frozen' and get a sense of perspective?!

eh.....no. If 'American Life' can do it, 'Hard Candy' can certainly do it off the back of a single which has been top 10 for 2 weeks based on 2 weeks of airplay!

Sheesh, some of you are really being insanely over-dramatic.

As for it 'not building' - it's rising up the airplay chart, the video is about the come, and downloads in the second week had a tiny drop off when you would have expected a massive drop off.

I really don't get why people can't understand that it's still very early days for this song. I have friends who buy every Madonna album who still haven't even heard it. Why not compare it to 'Music' or 'Frozen' and get a sense of perspective?!

Debord, the point is that this song is not a patch on the lead singles from ROL, Music and COAF. The UK lapped these up, not just fans. Yes, 4M is doing ok on airplay etc but in the download age the only similar comparable is HU and that immediately took off on the download chart. Downloads were lower then (we know that) but HU was increasing its lead on the download chart week on week and was number 1 on week 2 whereas 4M is going backwards in week 3. HU would be clearing 50k now if it had been released as a download now.

4M is not going to be a massive UK hit but will be a solid one for her. I am sure she can go in at number 1 with HC on the back of 4M but its relative sales performance will be behind COADF and unless the other singles are strong it wont maintain sales. I am sure she will have a more UK friendly single in the pipeline though.

This is the PHYSICAL sales only, without downloads for the top 3 singles last week, so as you can see they are extremly low:

01 NE Estelle - American Boy 8,743

02 NE Flo Rida - Low 8,048

03 NE Chris Brown - With You 5,498

'4 Minutes', unlike 'Hung Up', is a grower. And it's the case with MOST songs that they only really pick up downloads after weeks of airplay. '4 Minutes' is still download only - it moved down the download chart due to a new release from a massively popular band, and it moved down the main chart due to the release of new physicals and new Mariah. Whoop de doo.

It really is incredibly tiresome having people state things about '4M' quality or how it and HC will do as statements of fact when they don't know any more than the rest of us but just feel the need to wax endlessly and dramatically about it. I don't see any of the people who like '4M' stating categorically that it's going to be a huge smash or that 'HC' will sell shitloads - we're just saying that it's possible and that those who are getting to ridiculously overdramatic over *nothing* are a little silly.

This is the PHYSICAL sales only, without downloads for the top 3 singles last week, so as you can see they are extremly low:

And they are all for breakthrough artists. It's a no-brainer that the physical/download divide for Madonna is going to be HUGELY different to acts like these. No, I'm not saying it'll sell 50,000, but it'll certainly do much more than 9,000.

Guest LikeAHugeMFan!
3 weeks in the top 10 without video or any promo is hardly being a flop. You can't expect it to shoot to #1 just because it has written "Madonna" in it.

And at least we won't be seeing these kinds of chart runs now:

Love Profusion 11-33-38

:blink::lmao::lmao::scared: = dont even flirt/ that kinda disaster lmao!! dont jinx !!

'4 Minutes', unlike 'Hung Up', is a grower. And it's the case with MOST songs that they only really pick up downloads after weeks of airplay. '4 Minutes' is still download only - it moved down the download chart due to a new release from a massively popular band, and it moved down the main chart due to the release of new physicals and new Mariah. Whoop de doo.

It really is incredibly tiresome having people state things about '4M' quality or how it and HC will do as statements of fact when they don't know any more than the rest of us but just feel the need to wax endlessly and dramatically about it. I don't see any of the people who like '4M' stating categorically that it's going to be a huge smash or that 'HC' will sell shitloads - we're just saying that it's possible and that those who are getting to ridiculously overdramatic over *nothing* are a little silly.

Yes, agree that no one knows how it will do but we all have different opinions and predictions. If you think it is going to grow, then great, and if you think it is doing well at this stage then fine.

But this is a forum and you have in the past made many posts that could be viewed as tiresome but you are still entitled to make them, factual or personal opinion.

OMG, they are low. Madonna will easily go to number 1 on physical with this competition. Downloads really are the way forward though.

Yes, agree that no one knows how it will do but we all have different opinions and predictions. If you think it is going to grow, then great, and if you think it is doing well at this stage then fine.

But this is a forum and you have in the past made many posts that could be viewed as tiresome but you are still entitled to make them, factual or personal opinion.

It's all very well turning round and saying that 'we all have different opinions and predictions', but we've had a handful of people saying the same thing over and over and jumping on anyone who dares to not think '4 Minutes' isn't very good. Yes, it's a forum and people need to relax (and yes sometimes I'm as guilty as that as anyone).

I'm not super familiar with the UK charts but even IF it has peaked already at the number 7 position, is that really BAD in the UK?? I know HU #7 peak in the US wasn't stellar but going top ten in the States is considered GOOD! It seems in the UK unless you make number one your song is considered a flop, even number 2 doesn't seem good enough. What's the deal with that??

4M did not peak at #7.

4M is #5 this week.

Oops...lol

Well that kind of makes all of this talk about 4M being a UK flop even more perplexing. A top 5 in the States is GREAT! But why in the UK is number 5 considered a flop?

I don't think 4 mins is flopping in the UK but its sales are dissapointing. Considering she has roped in Justin and Timberland the song should be blazing up the

charts. Not having the video on the music channels hasn't helped and why oh why is the gap so long between the digital and physical release?

She needs to do some promo.

this whole project from moment 1 was geared and "expected" to cater to the American public and radio. No one should be shocked here at all. 4M, even w/ the star power, all of whom have been huge international megastars simply sounds too waterdown, formulatic US radio oriented mixed in the FACT (even more so) that its not a great, infectious pop song like HU, Music and many many others ! It lacks that universal appeal, more so than just sounding even too American. Ms international fans aren't fools lol. They're way smarter than most of the casual U.S. Madonna fans. They want a Madonna song to be pure "Madonna" and in 2nd can smell when shes not really doin her "thing", like w. this song! 4M and many of the singles may too a much smaller degree end up being similar to the Bedtime Stories/Take A Bow end rare result= doing way better in the US than the UK lol.

Bullshit

Madonna is doing her thing, it's not her fault YOU don't relate to her her current musical leanings.

HU and Music are in no way superior pop songs to 4min, other than personal taste.

International fans are not smarter than casual U.S. Madonna fans. Stop the bullshit.

4 Min is as "pure" Madonna as HU or Music is.

If HC and 4Min end up doing better in the U.S. than the UK, then that's fucking awsome, considering that the U.S. is the largest (and most important) music market in the world.

Go M!

Oops...lol

Well that kind of makes all of this talk about 4M being a UK flop even more perplexing. A top 5 in the States is GREAT! But why in the UK is number 5 considered a flop?

It's not a flop in the UK, but certain brits seem to resent the fact that M is doing better in her NATIVE country, as opposed to her adopted one. :boxing:

Guest SuperPop
I'm not super familiar with the UK charts but even IF it has peaked already at the number 7 position, is that really BAD in the UK?? I know HU #7 peak in the US wasn't stellar but going top ten in the States is considered GOOD! It seems in the UK unless you make number one your song is considered a flop, even number 2 doesn't seem good enough. What's the deal with that??

for a big artist anything less than top3 in the UK is not a very good result..especially for Madge which is really loved in the UK, considering that American Life peaked no2 (and it was even no1 in the midweeks)...UK charts are completely different with the US ones , mainly because they are based solely in sales and not airplay..

Guest SuperPop
Bullshit

Madonna is doing her thing, it's not her fault YOU don't relate to her her current musical leanings.

HU and Music are in no way superior pop songs to 4min, other than personal taste.

International fans are not smarter than casual U.S. Madonna fans. Stop the bullshit.

4 Min is as "pure" Madonna as HU or Music is.

If HC and 4Min end up doing better in the U.S. than the UK, then that's fucking awsome, considering that the U.S. is the largest (and most important) music market in the world.

Go M!

:megamanson:

When are we going to see a live peformance of 4 mins with M and Justin. We haven't heard an offical announcement.

yes i agree...i think that a live performance will help in selling it more...hung up was like that..m performed it almost everywhere...thats y it went to the top of charts

in europe......