01 Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy

02 Flo Rida feat. T Pain - Low

03 Duffy - Mercy

04 Sam Sparro - Black & Gold

05 Kooks - Alwyas Where I Need To Be

Top 10

(7) Madonna & Justin - 4 Minutes :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

(8) Mariah Carey - Touch My Body

The week just started and the video should be out on friday. She has enough time to climb the chart.

Last week Sam Sparro at number 4 sold 21,101. So 4 mins would have sold about 20,000 x

I am not sure how 4M is being received in the US but it could be that 4M will be a bigger hit in the US than the UK, which hasn't happened for ages.

Well, it already IS isn't it? Sales at least anyway... someone said Sam Sparro sold 21,101 at #4 so say Madonna is around 20K and is on course to sell 200k in the US this week, the UK has a population of a FIFTH of that of America so if we look at it like that, 4M should have sold at least FORTY THOUSAND in the UK. And that's not taking into account that per capita, the UK is her biggest market and she's much more of a bigger star here and airplay is MUCH MUCH greater for 4M.

I am actually PERPLEXED by 4M performance on iTUnes... WTF happened? It can't just be a case of "get the video out". How many people actually watch those channels anyway? A lot less than listen to the Radio 1 breakfast show that's for sure... This is Madonna, the biggest star in the world; hovering around no.4 or 5 at iTunes three weeks in is NOT GOOD ENOUGH, regardless of a video. We know how many use iTunes and there would be plenty of opportunities for them to download it if they wanted to. There's a massive fucking eyesore of an advert on the front page for starters... as well as it being labelled under "new releases", "top ten" etc etc.

I really guess we have to put it into perspective with how HU performed on the UK chart, where it was two or three weeks in the chart and how many it sold on iTunes before the video was released/promotion started. THAT's how we can gauge the current performance of 4M.

I could be wrong; HU could have had a similar chart trajectory in its primitive weeks. However, something tells me that something about 4M simply isn't catching on with the general British public. Which strikes me as ODD coming off the back of a mega-smash like COAD and having Justin Timberlake and Timbaland in the mix, two of the biggest popstars in the country. No-one expected to be as big of a hit as HU here (a hit of Umbrella or Crazy In Love proportions, something that happens only every couple of years in the UK charts), and I know it's still early days, but I WAS expecting a little more, by THIS stage at least.

Edited by Braby2007

However, something tells me that something about 4M simply isn't catching on with the general British public.

What is there to CATCH ON; essentially it's shit - I've tried to find something likeable about it but all I can say is that it's a well produced mixture of sounds.

4 Minutes will be a moderate/non hit in UK and a big hit in USA.

I think that Hard Candy will explode with Give it to me in UK.

I remember us that Madonna last global hit(TOP 3) was Music (hung up only peaked at #7 on HOT100).

I think that Hard Candy will explode with Give it to me in UK.

Just like American Life did with Hollywood.

You know a project is in trouble when fans are talking about the second single being the key release, just weeks after the lead had premiered.

Its getting good airplay, and the gen public non loons seem to love it, bearing in mind its only been on radio and releasd for 2 weeks and there is no video, some people really wet their LoveKylies too much.

WAIT and SEE is what i say*

*4 mins drops to 72 next week

To be more precise 4 mins sold excatly 20,623 last week which was slightly down on the previous week of 21,106 , so a total of just over 40k in two weeks x

Guest SuperPop
I remember us that Madonna last global hit(TOP 3) was Music (hung up only peaked at #7 on HOT100).

HU was much monstrous hit than Music...Music was bigger in US , but HU was much much bigger anywhere else in the world...and selling almost 1 million in US is a big hit, despite its no7 position (which is very good considering HU was a pure dance song, a genre that flops in US)...

Guest SuperPop
To be more precise 4 mins sold excatly 20,623 last week which was slightly down on the previous week of 21,106 , so a total of just over 40k in two weeks x

not at all encouraging sales, considering 4M airplay surged last week...lets see what the video will do (although I doubt music videos nowadays have any significant impact in the chart performance of a song)

I don't think almost matching the first week sales in week 2 is that disappointing at all - the first week was always going to be heavy loaded due to the fanbases, now it's all casual listeners. And with sales depending on airplay and casual listeners, downloads tend to start low and increase after a few weeks.

People really need to get their heads around the fact that this is not a normal chart run and that downloads have completely altered the UK charts since even 'Hung Up'.

I don't think almost matching the first week sales in week 2 is that disappointing at all - the first week was always going to be heavy loaded due to the fanbases, now it's all casual listeners. And with sales depending on airplay and casual listeners, downloads tend to start low and increase after a few weeks.

People really need to get their heads around the fact that this is not a normal chart run and that downloads have completely altered the UK charts since even 'Hung Up'.

They do, but lets not pretend that this below par lead single is going to do brilliantly in the UK. It will be a solid hit but not a big one like HU. I think it will pick up sales over a long period of time though and will outsell many of her past songs.

HU would have been picking up major download sales (well over 50k) if it had been released now. It was the number one selling download in its second week, pre physical, in 2005 and the chart watchers were saying then what huge numbers it was selling (15k). This was on the back of a very similar promotion strategy.

But the major success she is having in the US is a silver lining to the lacklustre reception in the UK. Lets face it, that is what Warners were wanting.

It will be very ironic if she has major success with HC in the US but not UK because of 4M.

They do, but lets not pretend that this below par lead single is going to do brilliantly in the UK. It will be a solid hit but not a big one like HU. I think it will pick up sales over a long period of time though and will outsell many of her past songs.

HU would have been picking up major download sales (well over 50k) if it had been released now. It was the number one selling download in its second week, pre physical, in 2005 and the chart watchers were saying then what huge numbers it was selling (15k). This was on the back of a very similar promotion strategy.

But the major success she is having in the US is a silver lining to the lacklustre reception in the UK. Lets face it, that is what Warners were wanting.

It will be very ironic if she has major success with HC in the US but not UK because of 4M.

i have absolutely zero doubt that if '4M' had been given 2 or 3 weeks of radio play before being released it would have went straight in at number one, even on download alone. And we wouldn't be having this discussion.

this whole project from moment 1 was geared and "expected" to cater to the American public and radio. No one should be shocked here at all. 4M, even w/ the star power, all of whom have been huge international megastars simply sounds too waterdown, formulatic US radio oriented mixed in the FACT (even more so) that its not a great, infectious pop song like HU, Music and many many others ! It lacks that universal appeal, more so than just sounding even too American. Ms international fans aren't fools lol. They're way smarter than most of the casual U.S. Madonna fans. They want a Madonna song to be pure "Madonna" and in 2nd can smell when shes not really doin her "thing", like w. this song! 4M and many of the singles may too a much smaller degree end up being similar to the Bedtime Stories/Take A Bow end rare result= doing way better in the US than the UK lol.

this whole project from moment 1 was geared and "expected" to cater to the American public and radio. No one should be shocked here at all. 4M, even w/ the star power, all of whom have been huge international megastars simply sounds too waterdown, formulatic US radio oriented mixed in the FACT (even more so) that its not a great, infectious pop song like HU, Music and many many others ! It lacks that universal appeal, more so than just sounding even too American. Ms international fans aren't fools lol. They're way smarter than most of the casual U.S. Madonna fans. They want a Madonna song to be pure "Madonna" and in 2nd can smell when shes not really doin her "thing", like w. this song! 4M and many of the singles may too a much smaller degree end up being similar to the Bedtime Stories/Take A Bow end rare result= doing way better in the US than the UK lol.

Agrees 100% , this sound in Europe is not popular. The urban sound is mostly a local thing prefered mostly by the USA public. To me is not surprising at all that 4M will not be doing great in the UK and that is selling pretty well in most other countries(although it wont be selling high numbers like HU) beacuse its a lead single, but this project is more geared for americans.

I am still not feeling the song at all, I usually put Madge songs to work out because they motivate me, but I actually had to put Jump and other Confessions songs to get the adrenaline going today while trying to pump some iron with 4M :confused:

Well... I see so much disapointing and bla bla bla that this song is diving on charts, not european... bla bla bla...

Nelly Furtado was as european or Rihanna... or... so many other songs...

Just wait until the physical single comes out (it actually continues at #01 and with a total of 4 versions on pre-order TOP 10 singles at HMV) and you'll see her JUMP to #01 in less than 4 minutes ;)

The thing is: songs don't get to TOP 10 based on downloads without airplay but... this is Madonna... we are very lucky she is already TOP 10 as Justin Timberlake wasn't even top 40 after 3 weeks of airplay and got to #01 after single release. Expect a several weeks #01 in UK

By the way... physical singles on first week will be surely more than 50.000 copies... despite physical singles huge decline.

I actually love this song... and chartwise is really very strong with strong beat also!

It will also be #01 at the Eurochart for sure!

CDS 1 (released 21/04/08)

1 4 Minutes

2 4 Minutes (Bob Sinclar Space Funk Remix)

ZIVVY have it also for pre-order but at an expensive £4,00

HVMV have it at £1,99 for first week release!

12" Special Jacket is released only at 28/04/08

1. 4 Minutes [bob Sinclar Space Funk Remix]

2. 4 Minutes [Peter Saves Paris Remix]

3. 4 Minutes [Tracy Young House Mix]

4. 4 Minutes [Junkie XL Dirty Dub]

5. 4 Minutes [Album Version]

6. 4 Minutes [Rebirth Remix]

7. 4 Minutes [Junkie XL Remix]

CDS 2 (released 21/04/08)

1. 4 Minutes [Album Version]

2. 4 Minutes [bob Sinclar Space Funk Remix]

3. 4 Minutes [Junkie XL Remix]

Picture Disc, Clear Plastic Sleeve (released 21/04/2008)

1. 4 Minutes [Radio Edit]

2. 4 Minutes [bob Sinclar Space Funk Edit]

3. 4 Minutes [Junkie XL Remix Edit]

4. 4 Minutes [Tracy Young House Radio]

I already pre-ordered the 4 different versions of the single at HMV... just buy yours and stop complaining ;)

At HMV CDS2 is at £2,99 and then the 2LS Special Edition for £5,99 and 12" Maxi Picture Disc for £4,99.

At least for now for pre-order is all it is... not sure if there is more to come ;)

By The way... Touch My Body single is selling for £0,99 at HMV and it's only at #15 so Mariah will likely fail UK TOP 10 (4 Minutes its at #02 on that generic Single Sales Chart/ 4 Minutes it's at #01/#08/#09 and #10 at the pre-order Single Chart)

WARNER strategy for UK is simple: The news for the single hitting #01 will be out on the same day the album is out.

OH YES!!! I do hope the US Remixes will be released APRIL 22... perfect, all the craziness about MARIAH will be over by then (after her American Idol performance)...

Guest Danny86
Agrees 100% , this sound in Europe is not popular. The urban sound is mostly a local thing prefered mostly by the USA public.

Oh this stereotype has to stop, really.

Timbaland produced most of the biggest European hits of 2007 and Rihanna is considered urban-pop as well.

It's not like all of Europe prefers music like Kylie you know, in fact her popularity was zero in 2007, compared to some Timbaland hits like "Say It Right" or "What Goes Around".

Well... I see so much disapointing and bla bla bla that this song is diving on charts, not european... bla bla bla...

Just wait until the physical single comes out (it actually continues at #01 and with a total of 4 versions on pre-order TOP 10 singles at HMV) and you'll see her JUMP to #01 in less than 4 minutes ;)

The thing is: songs don't get to TOP 10 based on downloads without airplay but... this is Madonna... we are very lucky she is already TOP 10 as Justin Timberlake wasn't even top 40 after 3 weeks of airplay and got to #01 after single release. Expect a several weeks #01 in UK

By the way... physical singles on first week will be surely more than 50.000 copies... despite physical singles huge decline.

I actually love this song... and chartwise is really very strong with strong beat also!

4 mins will not sell anywhere near 50,000!, Hmv is the only main place you can buy them now , even is her fans by all 4 formats, it won't be more than 30k absolute max x

Guest Danny86

Wednesday Top 40 Midweeks update:

Singles

1 Estelle

2 Flo Rida

3 Kooks

4 Sam Sparro

5 Duffy

Top 10

Mariah Carey

Top 20

Courteeners

Top 30

Yael Naim

Britney Spears

Scouting For Girls

Radiohead

Top 40

T-Pain

Fragma

Roisin Murphy

Albums:

1 REM

2 Duffy

3 Leona Lewis

4 Nickelback

5 Estelle

Top 10

Michael Jackson

Top 20

James Blunt

Chris Brown

Enemy

Scouting For Girls

Gnarls Barkley

Top 30

Snoop Dogg

Girls Aloud

Newton Faulkner

Adele

Black Keys

Gabriella Cilmi

Top 40

Flo Rida

Michael McDonald

Madonna is still top 10. I wonder if the video release on Friday will push her back to top 5?

The vid won't have an affect this week, a slight affect on saturday maybe but won't increase sales enough to move back into the top 5 x

And the vid is premiering on fri, but when is it goin to be added to music channels?

This is exactly where 4 mins is in for the mids:

Wednesday Update Top 40 Only

Singles

01 Estelle feat. Kanye West - American Boy

02 Flo Rida feat. T Pain - Low

03 Kooks - Always Where I Need To Be

04 Sam Sparro - Black & Gold (D)

05 Duffy - Mercy

Top 10

(7) Mariah Carey - Touch My Body

(8) Madonna & Justin - 4 Minutes (D)

Guest Danny86
Its a flop in UK I guess, as expected.

3 weeks in the top 10 without video or any promo is hardly being a flop. You can't expect it to shoot to #1 just because it has written "Madonna" in it.

And at least we won't be seeing these kinds of chart runs now:

Secret 5-10-12-18-15-22-34

Human Nature 8-21-28

The Power Of Good-Bye/Little Star 6-17-25-32-30-36

What It Feels Like For A Girl: 7-19-30-33-37

Die Another Day: 3-12-18-18-16-20-24-32-34-29

American Life: 2-12-20-25-35

Hollywood: 2-15-22-33

Love Profusion 11-33-38

Guest SuperPop
3 weeks in the top 10 without video or any promo is hardly being a flop. You can't expect it to shoot to #1 just because it has written "Madonna" in it.

for the huge airplay it receives lately in UK it should have been at least top3...its early to say that its a flop but its current perfomance is surely underwhelming (and UK loves Madonna...maybe they dont love the urban Madonna as it happened with TAB)

And at least we won't be seeing these kinds of chart runs now:

since the UK download boom (and decline of the physical market) such chart runs have stopped to exist...except for songs that flop completely obviously...

Songs DO get to number 1 with little airplay. HU was the number 1 download in its second week of airplay, and was number 2 in its first week. This first week had a very similar strategy as 4M. The song was premiered on Radio 1 on the Friday and it was available as a download almost straight away. 4M is sliding down the download chart already and it is just into its third week. It should be gaining. HU stayed the number one download for weeks after its physical release too.

4M does have a chance of climbing the download chart with extra promotion and airplay but it is already obvious that it wont give her album the massive launch that HU gave COADF.

Also, there is no chance the physical will sell 50k. Downloads have taken over now and even in 2005, HU "only" managed about 75k physical first week.