The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

Sales in the album department weren't that close between Amy and Goldfrapp :shy:

Janet couldn't even sell 4K. And Duffy is proving to be a monster hit...

SINGLES

72724 Duffy

40937 H Two O

27406 Nickelback

21798 Basshunter

19429 Kylie Minogue

17322 Adele (6)

16242 Rihanna (7)

16091 One Republic (8)

15659 David Jordan (9)

12925 Kelly Rowland (10)

12022 Taio Cruz (11)

12022 Flo Rida (12)

8120 Timbaland (16)

6299 Alphabeat (23)

4036 Girls Aloud - CSF (35)

3661 Leona Lewis - BIT (38)

1500 Nickelback – HYRM (100)

ALBUMS

62773 Amy Winehouse [Deluxe] !!!!!

46945 Goldfrapp

43245 Mika

31265 Donny Osmond (8)

25828 Feeling (11)

22872 Jonathan Ansell (14)

12047 Johnny Mathis (29)

11866 Amy Winehouse (30)

11765 Simply Red (31)

3914 Janet Jackson (63)

I really don't get the UK. I mean UK peeps always rag on American radio for playing so much hip-hop but yet crappy acts like Westlife, Duffy (whoever that is) and Mika get to #1 over there but talented singers like Janet Jackson can't? Doesn't make sense to me.

Edited by StrawberryBounce12

I really don't get the UK. I mean UK peeps always rag on American radio for playing so much hip-hop but yet crappy acts like Westlife, Duffy (whoever that is) and Mika get to #1 over there but talented singers like Janet Jackson can't? Doesn't make sense to me.

Gina G, Mel B, Teletubbies and Bob the Builder have all had UK #1 singles yet Janet hasn't.

How utterly embarrasing for her, it must be a sad day when even the Teletubbies have more #1 singles than you.

janets not a talented singer!

Duffy (whoever that is)

One of the most talented singers of the last decade, a true singer and songwriter, unlike Janet.

janets not a talented singer!

True.... She has a few good songs but one would expect so from someone with a career spanning more than 20 years.... I dont think she is talented at all either

Why are you criticising Duffy if you dont know who she is?

This isnt a war US vs UK of course dont get me wrong, but at least charts in the UK are based on sales therefore more objetive than the US manipulation of charts which benefit younge acts and hip hop and rap.

And anyway, Janet will rarely get another number 1.....unless you count your ipod

Wow is still in top 10! I expected a flop single and look! It's pretty clear i won't be clairvoyant.

I don't know that Duffy girl, i will check YouTub right now!

EDIT: oh, coincidence,i watched the video yesterday in a music channel and thought "oh, i wish Madonna had recorded this song, it's powerful and "black" at the same time.

Gina G, Mel B, Teletubbies and Bob the Builder have all had UK #1 singles yet Janet hasn't.

How utterly embarrasing for her, it must be a sad day when even the Teletubbies have more #1 singles than you.

Poor Janet :lmao:

LOCAL artist indeed! :janetflop:

Janet has never been truly successful in the UK. Her biggest hit there (not her highest charting single) was Together Again. Her albums have never been big sellers there.

Janet fans hate the UK! :lmao:

I found this at her official board:

I HATE THE UK PERIOD!!!!!

I mean all their little stars come running their British invasion asses over here to our Country and we always support them and make them sell so many records and boast them and you mean to tell me them BASTARDS can't even get Janet to their top 50 charts with her nice album she just released? YES, i am PISSED!!! and I have to fukking Vent...........i really feel that they are trying to hate on Janet just because.......and this is my notion..........they gots MADGE living in their country........sorry but I feel that may be one of the reasons because they really hating on her if they can't even fukking get her in the top 50 over there...........I mean they don't treat their WORST artists that bad in their own country so why should she even go near them to perform??? I WOULD NOT EVEN DO A DRIVE BY TO VISIT THEM IF I WERE HER..............I am sorry if I have offended any BRITS who are on here but I am sorry, this is how I feel about this

I don't like 'em either. I think their disdain for Janet is mainly due to her last name. I hate those ppl. They always have negative hsit to say about her. I understand that she may not be popular in European - period but, they are especially nasty in regards to J. I don't hear about any other European country always throwing jabs at her, and never showing her any type of commcerial support but those damn Brits. Granted, she has a British fanbase but, it's very small in no. But, whatever, I don't live there so, fuck 'em.

Seriously UK'ers what is the problem over there when it comes to Janet? I am having trouble understanding why she is having such a hard time selling over there. I mean "Together Again" was a big hit for her over there and she had some success with the "Janet" album but really, is it the lack of promotion or do the British just really dislike Janet? Also, what can she do to improve her sales and expand her fanbase there?

Edited by StrawberryBounce12

It's her style of music. The Brits just aren't into that just like most Americans aren't into the disco/dance music Madonna has been making lately. It's not just the UK either. Janet has a really hard time on the charts here in Australia too. In fact, they do even worse here than in the UK.

So R&B/Urban music doesn't do well in the UK then? I really think songs from Janet's new album such as "Rock With You" and "2 Nite" would be perfect for that market though. I think with the right promotion, she could possibly have another hit over there.

So R&B/Urban music doesn't do well in the UK then? I really think songs from Janet's new album such as "Rock With You" and "2 Nite" would be perfect for that market though. I think with the right promotion, she could possibly have another hit over there.

I think so too! I think Rock With You would be perfect.

Has Feedback been released in the UK yet? :confused:

I've said this and I'll say it again, the fact that most of Janet's singles from Control through The Velvet Rope have missed the UK top 10 say just as much about the UK market as Flo Rida hitting #1 in the US.

We all have our faults. So just zip it, skippy.

I just don't think Janet excites the UK. Probably with good reason: she's never really made much effort (or so it seems) to come here and in media circles, she's always been Michael's little sister, which has probably had some kind of effec. These days I think that there's complete apathy to anyone who has the surname 'Jackson.'

:rotfl:

In January i would have call it a BIG flop, but now i don't know what to think. I expected Wow to be recieved coldly and it's being one of her biggest hits in terms of weeks in the top 10.

At least X is doing better in the UK than even her home territory of Australia and Wow has failed to make the top 10 here. This is the first time since the Impossible Princess album that a 2nd single has failed to make the top 10.

It's still a prance.gifFprance.gifLprance.gifOprance.gifPprance.gif

Poor bargain bin Kylie :lol:

A big, BIG yay at Duffy, she's selling albums like Hot cakes in the UK and singles in Europe at the moment, thank God for them embracing this new sound.

I do prefer much more songs on the UK charts (and EuroCharts) than on the US charts... probably because they are more European sounding... what I do think is that US charts should be sales based only to become more dinamic not having the songs so long on TOP 10 and #01. UK charts are sales based only and that shows what songs people like at the point of spending money to have them. US charts shows a mix bettween the "Sh*t" a few hundred US radio DJs want to play and people that actually like songs at the point enought to spend money on having them... the DJs weight was a lot bigger in the past and thanks to download sales is now lower but even though is too high to represent people taste. Radios don't play only what people want to listen to.