US Chart Talk: 11/10/07

thebigham

Guest nothingfails0603

In The Zone did 609k in week 1, 350k is still very impressive.

Confessions did about that too.

plus album sales are down a bit from 2003, Evanescence sold like 7.5 million that year and 50 Cent came close.

350k considering all the negative controversy (there's a difference between good and bad controversy. Madonna's LAP video was good controversy, Michael Jackson being accused of molesting children was negative controversy. All the talk about Britney being a terrible parent is negative) and the fact that Britney hasn't done a thing to promote the album except for one terrible video and a memorably bad VMA performance isn't bad. When ITZ came out, she was everywhere promoting it.

However, I am curious to see the albums final tally, we know Britney has her loyal fanbase and a lot of people buying the CD out of curiousity but what will happen next week?

If I were Britney, I'd try some damage control and go on Oprah and set the record straight, but oh wait... Britney doesn't wanna help her career, she wants to destroy it.

She does need to do Oprah but I don't think she is in any state to do it now, people love a good comeback so when/if she sorts herself out she should go on Oprah and cry her guts out.

If this album is to have any life outside of week 1 it really needs more singles.

However, I am curious to see the albums final tally, we know Britney has her loyal fanbase and a lot of people buying the CD out of curiousity but what will happen next week?

Yeah, with no promo from her it will be an interesting chart run to watch.

Let's see if she ends up with 350-380,000. Janet's 20 Y.O. was initially projected for a similar frame but dropped badly as the week went by and ended up UNDER 300,000. Brit's album is a little better than that one, but I am still not expecting great sales overall.

It was a no-brainer that the album would sell decently out of the gate- not like it was going to do Brave-like numbers or anything remotely low. it's def. gonna be her lowest-selling studio album, pretty sure about that one.

Guest nothingfails0603

Yeah, with no promo from her it will be an interesting chart run to watch.

Let's see if she ends up with 350-380,000. Janet's 20 Y.O. was initially projected for a similar frame but dropped badly as the week went by and ended up UNDER 300,000. Brit's album is a little better than that one, but I am still not expecting great sales overall.

yea, 20 Y.O. opened to almost 300k and yet it's now only at 650k give or take. Britney may do slightly better than that, but I don't see her doing more than 1-1.2 million tops, and so high only because Christmas is just around the corner and the album is so new that it'll be boosted by the holidays

Thats' why I said to sell this album she will need more singles with decent video's, can she do that?

20 Copies Sold was led by the dire Call On Me and then when the follow up So Excited flopped the album was dead and buried.

Blackout should reach the 1 million mark but as said will be her poorest selling album to date.

Well, that ain't sayin' a whole lot there, btville. :)

Metacritic has 10 reviews up, and its average thus far is 62.

I'm more interested to see what Garth Brooks can sell with a new greatest hits- great potential there. I have The HIts on cassette, so it's a natural upgrade (plus, the other songs I don't have is a bonus, too).

I think Britney will sell just over 1million in USA (FLOP) and not even that in Europe... I think that most european countries have forgotten her already. She doesn't have much more to offer, so she will be soon just another pop star who had her time.

Good riddance Britney!

I will be buying Brit's album tonight! I just wish her luck.

I love Jennifer Lopez, it's just too bad that she is not getting any radio support. Her album is ok, nothing too outstanding like "on the 6". She does have about 4 decent songs on "Brave".

Are CD's that are sold at concerts tracked? I went to her concert last night, many people were buying her "Brave" CD. They were paying $20 for it...

Guest mattcho

Too bad Wal Mart is not posting the numbers for the new Eagles CD (exclusive to the chain). It may very well sell more than Britney's disc.

- Matt

Brit should NOT go on Oprah! She does not have good talking skills when it comes to defending herself and explaining the choices she has made like a certain pop queen is so gifted at doing.

I can recall an interview with Diane Sawyer where she had to defend a song she did about touching herself. It was the funniest thing ever. She came across like a blabbering moron not knowing what to say.

Guest Eternal Flame

Brit should NOT go on Oprah! She does not have good talking skills when it comes to defending herself and explaining the choices she has made like a certain pop queen is so gifted at doing.

I can recall an interview with Diane Sawyer where she had to defend a song she did about touching herself. It was the funniest thing ever. She came across like a blabbering moron not knowing what to say.

Britney, Sam, and Alli did a phone interview on Ryan Seacrest the other day, and she left like half way through the interview to go take a shower. :lol:

^LOL! I am telling you. When it comes to public speaking people like Brit. and Avril should keep their traps shut. It just shows the world that nothing is going on upstairs.

nydailynews

Bad-news Britney Spears bags No. 1 CD

Friday, November 2nd 2007, 9:32 AM

Punishing public relations hasn't hurt Britney Spears' album sales. The troubled star's new album "Blackout" is poised to hit No. 1 on next week's Billboard Top 200 CD chart.

Though official numbers won't arrive until next Wednesday, Billboard and Hits magazines estimate the album, which was released Tuesday, should open with sales of between 300,000 and 350,000 copies.

That's a steep plunge from Spears' last studio CD, 2003's "In The Zone," which opened with 609,000 copies sold. But it's hardly out of line with other superstars' sales this year.

According to Nielsen/SoundScan, first-day sales for Spears' CD stood at an impressive 124,000 copies. By comparison, this week's No. 1 album, "Carnival Ride," by Carrie Underwood, sold 49,000 copies on its first day.

Britney can't escape controversy even on the charts. Some critics say her album isn't the rightful No. 1. The Eagles' hugely anticipated "Long Road Out of Eden" was released the same day. It's that classic band's first album of all-new music in 28 years. But since "Eden" is distributed only in Wal-Mart stores, it's ineligible for Billboard's album chart.

The band's manager, Irving Azoff, told Billboard, "If the Eagles were SoundScanning this week, Britney wouldn't be No. 1."

Jim Farber

Guest nothingfails0603

when you consider the cases of Radiohead and The Eagles, do the US charts even really matter anymore? They're still fun to look at but they've lost a lot of what they used to have now that a lot of albums can't chart because you can't buy it at Best Buy

HITS:

SPEARS WITHOUT PEERS: Jive/ZLG tabloid queen Britney Spears’ Blackout, receiving some positive critical buzz, will top next Tuesday’s HITS Album Sales chart with between 340-350k in first-week sales.

That will be more than enough to top this week’s #1, Arista Nashville’s Carrie Underwood, who dips to #2 with 190-200k. WB art-rockers Avenged Sevenfold’s new self-titled effort will be the week’s other top debut, at #3, with 95-100k in estimated sales.

Jive’s Backstreet Boys will give Barry Weiss and company two of the Top 5 with 93-98k, good for #4, followed by MCA Nashville’s Josh Turner, bowing at #5 with 77-82k and Reprise’s Josh Groban, crooning Noel at #6.

Andrea Bocelli’s Decca greatest hits is the other Top 10 newcomer, with 55-60k, good for #7, trailed by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss’ Rounder smash Raising Sand at #8, with 50-55k. Lyric Street’s Rascal Flatts, Atlantic’s Kid Rock and Universal Republic’s Colbie Caillat will battle it out for the Top 10, all with 40-45k. (11/2p

Really? :) She SHOULD go to Oprah then! I wouldn't mind to see that!!!

when you consider the cases of Radiohead and The Eagles, do the US charts even really matter anymore? They're still fun to look at but they've lost a lot of what they used to have now that a lot of albums can't chart because you can't buy it at Best Buy

True.

I think The Eagles will sell more than Britney. They are already going to be number ! in the UK.

I think more and more artist will do what Radiohead did. Prince gave away his last CD in a sunday newspaper a few months back. I think it is a pity cause as you said, it is fun to look at the charts, but on the other hand, record companies deserve it for being greedy and supporting manufactured artists in order to sell more records, forgetting about those who really have talent.

Guest boytoyville

Maybe the Easgles should show their numbers and prove it then! Who cares anyway. I like there old stuff but seriously amking a deal with Wal-mart...umm yeah that is REALLY respectable from a TRUE artisit. lol.

Maybe the Easgles should show their numbers and prove it then! Who cares anyway. I like there old stuff but seriously amking a deal with Wal-mart...umm yeah that is REALLY respectable from a TRUE artisit. lol.

The Eagles CD should debut on the comprehensive albums charts anyway, right?

Guest boytoyville

The Eagles CD should debut on the comprehensive albums charts anyway, right?

I don't think so because Wal-Mart doesn't report their numbers for contracted sellers only through them. Garth Brooks numbers were never reported from them either after he signed that exclusive deal through them. So it's all talk really. I hardly see an Eagles album today sellling over the 350,000 copies Britney is

going to sell.

Not necessarily. Look how huge Hell Freezes Over was, and that was a mix of live/new material.

It's not like Spears is going to sell at Kanye-West-like numbers- or even 50 Cent, for that matter. Or even Carrie Underwood. You see the point. :)

Guest nothingfails0603

well, considering how well Springsteen did, Eagles could probably do something similar. I know they were never as massive in Europe, but they're always been huge in America, and this is their first full-fledged album since 1979 (two years before the trainwreck was born), there's a lot of hoopla there

well, considering how well Springsteen did, Eagles could probably do something similar. I know they were never as massive in Europe, but they're always been huge in America, and this is their first full-fledged album since 1979 (two years before the trainwreck was born), there's a lot of hoopla there

Exactly. And The Eagles are going to top the UK charts with a wide gap, so I think there isnt doubt about who would sell more.

And YES I agree it is sad that The Eagles CD are only selling at that store.

And YES I agree it is sad that The Eagles CD are only selling at that store.

wallmart should know how many copies are The Eagles selling: if they want to prove something, they can give the numbers to the public. But they won´t appear on the Billboard charts, so she will be the number 1.And to start saying "what if´s" about it´s stupid, it´s like when we start saying that Madonna should have released ray of light´s single earlier, or Spotlight, or what would have happened with TPOG if they rules for the charts would have been kept...Blackout would be number 1 and that´s it.

Hardly- it's not like 350K is that huge a number, where the Eagles couldn't sell that much. If all the fans flock to their local Wal-Marts, it probably could sell as much if not a bit more. Wal-Mart does sell the most music in the USA, after all.

Sure Blackout will be No. 1- chances are decrent that it will take an American Life path rather than a path of any of her other studio albums, though. Even if it didn't fall that fast, it's gonna be her lowest-selling studio album, no doubt.