US Chart Talk: 9/29/07

Guest MentalLamb

Guest FuckBuddy

Mariah has 25 after 17 years. Madonna had 32 after 17 years.

unfortunately, the fat cow had 3 off her last joke of an album. i fear the bitch is gaining ground.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

unfortunately, the fat cow had 3 off her last joke of an album. i fear the bitch is gaining ground.

:lol:

She's 11 behind Madge.

Even if Madge doesn't get anymore and Mariah continues with great success in the US with her next album and maybe beyond it will be a while before she catches up.

And once Mariah hits 40, which will be right after her next album and its singles have been released, she will start to face the same radio airplay problem Madonna has.

Let's say she gets lucky and racks up 5 more from her next "era" and hits 30, eventhough that's unlikely given she only got 3 from an album as big as TEOM, she will then have to get another 6 (assuming Madonna gets no more) as a woman over 40 facing American radio's age discrimination.

i hope u'll be proven right. the only all-time chart that cow deserves to top is kfc's top10 clients ever.

You are jealous because Mariah has more US number 1's than Kylie UK number 1's :lol:

You never know, Cowriah's next album could very well tank. For all the undeserved airplay she got in 2005, I very RARELY hear the songs anymore. It was a total fluke. Someone on another board mentioned her recurrent airplay (which is airplay of older hits I gather) of all the singles from The Constipation Of Mumu is pretty shitty. HA-HA!

Guest Beautiful Stranger

You never know, Cowriah's next album could very well tank. For all the undeserved airplay she got in 2005, I very RARELY hear the songs anymore. It was a total fluke. Someone on another board mentioned her recurrent airplay (which is airplay of older hits I gather) of all the singles from The Constipation Of Mumu is pretty shitty. HA-HA!

Yes.

Recurrent airplay is current radio airplay of past singles.

Here is a question that might of been answered already. Is Madonna the most played female artist on the radio when it comes to her recurrent plays? She really is always being played here. Yesterday alone on a quick drive I heard Everybody, Into the Groove, Dont Tell Me and LAP while scanning through the stations.

Nut sure where that person got the info, but USA recurrent airplay for "We Belong Together" is pretty strong- still at 1,300+ spins a week per Mediabase. "Shake It Off" does around 500, and "Don't Forget About Us" around 450. So, not shitty at all.

this is exactl;y what i thought. in fact it was 2000 when m had her 34th top 10 hit, dont tell me. 16 years after. mimi must have had her 25th top 10 hit in 2006, also 16 years after.

which mariah songs failed to hit the top 10? other than those follow up to loverboy off glitter?

Mariah has 25 after 17 years. Madonna had 32 after 17 years.

the first 2 you metntionned are hardly ever played on radio here in the uk.

I always hear Take A Bow and I'll Remember on the radio along with Don't Tell Me, Into the Groove.

As for Whitney, I hear songs like Greatest Love of All on the radio all the time.

Nut sure where that person got the info, but USA recurrent airplay for "We Belong Together" is pretty strong- still at 1,300+ spins a week per Mediabase. "Shake It Off" does around 500, and "Don't Forget About Us" around 450. So, not shitty at all.

They mentioned that in comparison with other hits from that same time frame, her songs are getting really underwhelming airplay, at least on the pop airplay charts. It does make sense because I LITERALLY haven't heard any of those singles since early-mid 2006 at best.

Guest nothingfails0603

They mentioned that in comparison with other hits from that same time frame, her songs are getting really underwhelming airplay, at least on the pop airplay charts. It does make sense because I LITERALLY haven't heard any of those singles since early-mid 2006 at best.

come on, like Mariah or not, We Belong Together truly was a big hit for her. It wasn't a Thank God I Found You case where it fluked a week at #1 because of a 49 cent single, it spent an entire summer at #1.

HITS:

PLAYING IT FORWARD: As we approach the blessed relief of the first weekend of autumn, it’s time once again to fearlessly predict the order and totals of next week’s chart. After a mind-blowing start, Kanye West (Roc-A-Fella/IDJ) will get a run for his money from the debuting Reba McEntire (MCA Nashville) and her duet partners, with each album churning toward a finish in the vicinity of 225-250k. 50 Cent (Shady/ Aftermath/ Interscope) will be solidly entrenched at #3 with 175-200, followed by Kenny Chesney (SBMG Nashville) with 120-125k. Barry Manilow’s paean to’70s pop (RCA) will round out the Top 5, just topping 100k in its first week.

Following Disney’s #6 High School Musical 2, with 90-95k, are four more debuts: Universal Motown’s Chamillionaire at 85-90k, Atlantic’s James Blunt at 80-85k, Virgin’s KT Tunstall at 50-55k and Atlantic’s Twista at 40-45k.

Other debuts this week: Motion City Soundtrack (Epitaph), 25-30k; Eddie Vedder (RCA), 30-35k, HIM (Sire), 30-35k; Dropkick Murphys (Born & Bred), 25-30k; Diana Krall (Verve), 25-30k; and Between the Buried and Me (Victory), 12-15k. Now, get outta here, you knuckleheads. (9/21a)

Funny thing is, WBT is the same kinda song Mimi's been doing from the beginning- though it is better than most of the material from 1999-2005.

Most recurrent airplay comes from AC/Hot AC stations- however, WBT and the other two are getting most at Pop.

In the last 7 days (formats spinning the track at least 5x):

ILT

Pop 32

Rhythmic: 28

WBT

Pop: 323 spins

AC: 278

Hot AC: 158

Urban: 105

Urban AC: 197

Rhythmic: 152

Smooth Jazz: 59

SIO

Pop: 203

Hot AC: 32

Urban: 49

Urban AC: 149 (up from 87 the prior weke- maybe syndicated-program play)

Rhythmic: 85

DFAU:

Pop: 221

Hot AC: 50

Urban: 48

Urban AC: 57

Rhythmic: 86

Smooth Jazz: 59

FLAB

Urban: 11

Urban AC: 204

Mu poor Say Somethin' only got 8 spins total (from rhythmic) in the past week.

come on, like Mariah or not, We Belong Together truly was a big hit for her. It wasn't a Thank God I Found You case where it fluked a week at #1 because of a 49 cent single, it spent an entire summer at #1.

lol I never denied that it was a big hit for her. But it was played for 6 months straight and has since been pretty forgotten about. Whereas I still hear stuff like My Humps and Photograph which were hits at the same time. It just seems like a fluke. I may dislike Mariah but I'm not hating on her just for hate's sake, I just think that it's weird that her songs, so big at the time, barely get played now.

Guest Beautiful Stranger
which mariah songs failed to hit the top 10? other than those follow up to loverboy off glitter?

Mariah Carey - Billboard Hot 100

"Vision Of Love" - #1 (4 weeks)

"Love Takes Time" - #1 (3 weeks)

"Someday" - #1 (2 weeks)

"I Don't Wanna Cry" - #1 (2 weeks)

"Emotions" - #1 (3 weeks)

"Can't Let Go" - #2

"Make It Happen" - #5

"I'll Be There" - #1 (2 weeks)

"Dreamlover" - #1 (8 weeks)

"Hero" - #1 (4 weeks)

"Without You" - #3

"Anytime You Need A Friend" - #12

"Endless Love" - #2

"Fantasy" - #1 (8 weeks)

"One Sweet Day" - #1 (16 weeks)

"Always Be My Baby" - #1 (2 weeks)

"Honey" - #1 (3 weeks)

"My All" - #1 (1 week)

"When You Believe" - #15

"I Still Believe" - #4

"Heartbreaker" - #1 (2 weeks)

"Thank God I Found You" - #1 (1 week)

"Crybaby" - #28

"All I Want For Christmas Is You" - #83

"Loverboy" - #2

"Never Too Far/Hero Medley" - #81

"Through The Rain" - #81

"I Know What You Want" - #3

"U Make Me Wanna" - #21

"It's Like That"- #16

"We Belong Together" - #1 (14 weeks)

"Shake It Off" #2

"Don't Forget About Us" - #1 (2 weeks)

"Say Somethin'" - #79

-17 #1 singles

-4 #2 singles

-21 Top 2 singles

-2 #3 singles

-23 Top 3 singles

-25 Top 5 singles

-25 Top 10 singles

-28 Top 20 singles

-30 Top 30 singles

-30 Top 40 singles

-34 Top 100/Charting singles

-77 total weeks spent at #1

We may as well throw in the releases that Bubbled Under or didn't make BU (that had videos, some promo- i.e. not listing something like Mine Again, which charted R&B from unsolicited play):

Sweetheart: #125

Never Too Far: #105

Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica): #123

Boy (I Need You): Didn't Bubble Under

Bringin' On the Heartbreak: Didn't Bubble Under

Fly Like a Bird: #104

Lil' Love: Didn't Bubble Under (she's as prominent as Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, in the track and the video!)

(There's another one that charted R&B, but it was a Damizza track that just took part of one of the Glitter tracks, I think)

Guest Beautiful Stranger

"Anytime You Need A Friend" - #12

"When You Believe" - #15

"Sweetheart" - Did Not Chart

"Crybaby" - #28

"Don't Stop (Funkin' 4 Jamaica)" - Did Not Chart

"Never Too Far" - Did Not Chart

"Never Too Far/Hero Medley" - #81

"Through The Rain" - #81

"Boy (I Need You)" Did Not Chart

"Bringin' On the Heartbreak" Did Not Chart

"U Make Me Wanna" - #21

"It's Like That"- #16

"Fly Like A Bird" - Did Not Chart

"Say Somethin'" - #79

"Lil' Love" - Did Not Chart

IPB Image

thanks for that BS and HG

:lmao: @ at the broken plate! BS

how on earth can anyone live in a country where mariah carey has spent 77 weeks at no1. it makes e proud to be british - she has been no1 for 4 weeks here not counting the 2 weeks with westlife she clocked up. she could never have got no1 on her own in the Uk, and with all those featuring's in the states, i wonder how many solo number 1's she had. 77 is a ridiculous figure and if it had been a air and square pure sales chart the figure would not even be half of what it is i hope.

i am surprised she has had that many flops but i guess even the yanks would not be that patient to tolerate her all the time. she could not get to no1 in the Uk even if she performed at a charity gig watched by millions and announcing she has a new single out at that time which coincidentally she experienced. she not only broke the rule of performing new material but it was just released and announced. talk about lack of moral standards.

i like the digital sales chart - 2 dance/electronic songs at no1 and no3 but only because mainstream rappers/urban music producers are behind them.

thanks for that BS and HG

:lmao: @ at the broken plate! BS

how on earth can anyone live in a country where mariah carey has spent 77 weeks at no1. it makes e proud to be british - she has been no1 for 4 weeks here not counting the 2 weeks with westlife she clocked up. she could never have got no1 on her own in the Uk, and with all those featuring's in the states, i wonder how many solo number 1's she had. 77 is a ridiculous figure and if it had been a air and square pure sales chart the figure would not even be half of what it is i hope.

i am surprised she has had that many flops but i guess even the yanks would not be that patient to tolerate her all the time. she could not get to no1 in the Uk even if she performed at a charity gig watched by millions and announcing she has a new single out at that time which coincidentally she experienced. she not only broke the rule of performing new material but it was just released and announced. talk about lack of moral standards.

i like the digital sales chart - 2 dance/electronic songs at no1 and no3 but only because mainstream rappers/urban music producers are behind them.

I disagree wit this. If it was purely a sales chart Mariah would have even more #1s because of her discounting singles. Loverboy would have been a strong #1 single if it was purely sales. The fact is that most of her #1s in the 90s were strong in both airplay and sales. She's been incredibly successful and consistent from a commercial standpoint. Her problem is her legacy. It's just not there really.

Guest Beautiful Stranger

If you want to know how many #1's Mariah would have on the Hot 100 to-date if the chart were only sales based then just look at her performance on the Hot 100 Singles Sales chart/Download chart.

(I don't know her complete history on that chart, so...)