Female Artists with the Most Top 10/Top 40/Hot 100 Hits

Camacho

I want GIVE IT TO ME, MILES AWAY and whatever to crack the HOT100 immediately... that will rack up her count :demonic:

it only needs 18,000-20,000 loons knowledgeable to buy separately at iTunes to do so...

who's connie francis? and what did she sing? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Francis ------Connie is really the first female superstar of the rock era whose career peaked from 1958 to 1970 when she was brutally raped. She then went into seclusion for several years and then returned and now plays several concerts a year throughout the world, always tremendously received. She was the Madonna of her time, according to many, and blew open the door for female artists. She has sold hundreds of millions of records and recorded in just about every genre and is considered to be the most versatile artist. With a strong and distinctive voice, clear as a bell, her voice is immediately recognizable. She has not recorded in many years and still holds the distinction of being number 3 in Billboards top 40. Until the early 2000s, she was the top selling female artist of all time and she was for a long time the top female artist throughout the world. She was also the top female concert act. She has had many million sellers and recorded in 14 languages. Some of her million sellers: Who's Sorry Now, Mama, Lipstick on Your Collar, Stupid Cupid, Everybody's Somebody's Fool, Where The Boys Are. The last recording was from her first motion picture and the vocals on this recording are often described as the most perfect vocals ever recorded. She had a great voice and currently, her voice has returned, critics say. There is plenty about her on the Internet. It always astounds me that some have not heard of her, but then her self-imposed seclusion has a great deal to do with this. In addition, she donated millions to Victims Rights and is actually responsible for the Victim's Rights Laws. She is responsible for newer hotel security laws. She continues to be loved by millions. She influenced Gloria Estefan, who will play her in her biomovie, LeeAnn Rimes, Agnetha of ABBA, Anne Murray, Belinda Carlisle, LuLu, Christina Aguilera, Bonnie Tyler, to name a few.

Guest socalboy1984
Madonna should get her 54th next week! :clap:

with a possibility of 55th (beat goes on)

• 1 year later...

Chart Beat at Billboard.com:

Here is a look at the legendary female artists to make the most visits to the Hot 100, followed by the dates of their first charted hits:

73, Aretha Franklin (March 4, 1961)

56, Dionne Warwick (Dec. 8, 1962)

54, Madonna (Oct. 29, 1983)

53, Connie Francis (Dec. 2, 1957)

48, Brenda Lee (March 2, 1957)

41, Barbra Streisand (April 4, 1964)

40, Diana Ross (April 25, 1970)

40, Mariah Carey (June 2, 1990)

The song is also Carey's 33rd top 40 hit, tying her with Francis. Among women, Carey and Francis trail only Madonna (48) and Franklin (43) for most top 40 titles.

Madonna (48)

Aretha Franklin (43)

Connie Franis (33)

Mariah Carey (33)

Chart Beat at Billboard.com:

Here is a look at the legendary female artists to make the most visits to the Hot 100, followed by the dates of their first charted hits:

73, Aretha Franklin (March 4, 1961)

56, Dionne Warwick (Dec. 8, 1962)

54, Madonna (Oct. 29, 1983)

53, Connie Francis (Dec. 2, 1957)

48, Brenda Lee (March 2, 1957)

41, Barbra Streisand (April 4, 1964)

40, Diana Ross (April 25, 1970)

40, Mariah Carey (June 2, 1990)

The song is also Carey's 33rd top 40 hit, tying her with Francis. Among women, Carey and Francis trail only Madonna (48) and Franklin (43) for most top 40 titles.

Madonna (48)

Aretha Franklin (43)

Connie Franis (33)

Mariah Carey (33)

Connie had 56 chart hits as noted above, not 53. See the initial post. Therfore, Connie is tied with Dionne. The top 40 number, however, is correct.

Guest boytoyville

Madonna will easily get to number 2. Remember that in the era of digital sales when an album first comes out and interest is sparked there an be numerious Hot 100 entries onto the chart like 5-7 just from popular album tracks. It happens with big artist with a strong Fanbase.

^Maybe for Hannah Montana, but for Madge, at most an additional one other than the first single (as with GI2M in release week).

But, yes, Madge will get to second place on that list.

Connie actually had three of her 56 chart entries peak in the pre-Hot 100 era. So that should be accounted for, no? Because it looks like it has for Brenda Lee, who had two hits in 1957 that charted on pre-Hot 100 charts. I suspect that "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is only counted as one entry (even though it re-charted on two different occasions)- so, if we want to count Lee's two 1957 hits, it would be 50 entries that she has- that, or subtract from Francis' total ("The Majesty of Love" peaked at 93 in 1957, and then pre-Hot 100 hits in 1958 were "Who's Sorry Now" and "I'm Sorry I Made You Cry." "Stupid Cupid" charted a week before the Hot 100 debuted, though Top Pop SIngles has its peak on the Best Sellers chart (No. 14) listed as its peak.

Connie actually had three of her 56 chart entries peak in the pre-Hot 100 era. So that should be accounted for, no? Because it looks like it has for Brenda Lee, who had two hits in 1957 that charted on pre-Hot 100 charts. I suspect that "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is only counted as one entry (even though it re-charted on two different occasions)- so, if we want to count Lee's two 1957 hits, it would be 50 entries that she has- that, or subtract from Francis' total ("The Majesty of Love" peaked at 93 in 1957, and then pre-Hot 100 hits in 1958 were "Who's Sorry Now" and "I'm Sorry I Made You Cry." "Stupid Cupid" charted a week before the Hot 100 debuted, though Top Pop SIngles has its peak on the Best Sellers chart (No. 14) listed as its peak.

OK. Thanks. That explains it. I knew Connie had 56. The funny thing is that although The Majesty Of Love, a pre-Who's Sorry Now single, only went into the 90s on the charts, it eventually became a million seller after Connie became an international superstar. It sold on the merits of her fame.

^That's fine. But, as noted, Brenda Lee then should be listed as having 50 hits, to include those two 1957 hits.

I know that in Billboard's Hot 100 50th anniversary issue, it only looked at acts' Hot 100 history (hence, the 50th anniversary). That's why Elvis Presley was "shortchanged," as he had a lot of hits from 1956-August 1958 on the Best Sellers, Jukebox, Top 100, etc. charts, before the Hot 100 chart began. THe 1956-August 1958 period must be taken into account for all other instances when talking about chart history and success.

^That's fine. But, as noted, Brenda Lee then should be listed as having 50 hits, to include those two 1957 hits.

I know that in Billboard's Hot 100 50th anniversary issue, it only looked at acts' Hot 100 history (hence, the 50th anniversary). That's why Elvis Presley was "shortchanged," as he had a lot of hits from 1956-August 1958 on the Best Sellers, Jukebox, Top 100, etc. charts, before the Hot 100 chart began. THe 1956-August 1958 period must be taken into account for all other instances when talking about chart history and success.

Yes, and hence Connie would have her 1957-1958 hits included to the sum of 56. So, in actuality the list noted on the first post of this topic is the more accurate for artist's success. Connie would have had a 57th had she not pulled Robot Man for some reason. She, however, did not pull it in the UK and it ended up reaching the #2 spot there.

• 3 weeks later...

Billboard.com:

STILL IN VOGUE: Madonna and Whitney Houston arrive on the Billboard Hot 100, upping their already impressive counts for career chart appearances.

With "Celebration," new at No. 71, her 55th entry, Madonna moves within one of Dionne Warwick for second-most Hot 100 hits among women.

At No. 74, "I Look to You" marks Houston's first Hot 100 hit since 2003 and her 38th overall. The bow lifts her past Mary J. Blige into a solo share for 10th-most charted titles among women in the Hot 100's history.

Here is an update look at the women who've made the most Hot 100 visits:

73, Aretha Franklin

56, Dionne Warwick

55, Madonna

53, Connie Francis

48, Brenda Lee

41, Barbra Streisand

40, Mariah Carey

40, Diana Ross

39, Janet Jackson

38, Whitney Houston

37, Mary J. Blige

Among all artists, Madonna ties the Beach Boys for a share of 13th place for most Hot 100 entries. Elvis Presley is the overall leader with 108 Hot 100 appearances.

Billboard.com:

STILL IN VOGUE: Madonna and Whitney Houston arrive on the Billboard Hot 100, upping their already impressive counts for career chart appearances.

With "Celebration," new at No. 71, her 55th entry, Madonna moves within one of Dionne Warwick for second-most Hot 100 hits among women.

At No. 74, "I Look to You" marks Houston's first Hot 100 hit since 2003 and her 38th overall. The bow lifts her past Mary J. Blige into a solo share for 10th-most charted titles among women in the Hot 100's history.

Here is an update look at the women who've made the most Hot 100 visits:

73, Aretha Franklin

56, Dionne Warwick

55, Madonna

53, Connie Francis

48, Brenda Lee

41, Barbra Streisand

40, Mariah Carey

40, Diana Ross

39, Janet Jackson

38, Whitney Houston

37, Mary J. Blige

Among all artists, Madonna ties the Beach Boys for a share of 13th place for most Hot 100 entries. Elvis Presley is the overall leader with 108 Hot 100 appearances.

But this list does not represent true chart success as it involves only the 50 years and not when the charts began from 1956. The only person affected by this on the list would be Connie Francis who had 3 chart hits before the 50 year aaniversary and after 1956, and so when these 3 hits are included she would be tied for 2nd place as in the original list posted in this thread. The above list is misleading for her.

• 2 weeks later...

mariah wil get another top 10 hit tomorow. who knows. it might even get to the top 5. its performing better then emancipations's lead single its like that. mariah annonced on twitter that the album is complete. which means now she will fully promote the single. this means another top 10 hit for her tally

sigh - maybe you should get a pet to talk to...

In Topic: US Chart Talk: 09/05/09

Posted 23 Aug 2009

mariah wil get another top 10 hit tomorow. who knows. it might even get to the top 5. its performing better then emancipations's lead single its like that. mariah annonced on twitter that the album is complete. which means now she will fully promote the single.

In Topic: Female Artists with the Most Top 10/Top 40/Hot 100 Hits

Posted 23 Aug 2009

mariah wil get another top 10 hit tomorow. who knows. it might even get to the top 5. its performing better then emancipations's lead single its like that. mariah annonced on twitter that the album is complete. which means now she will fully promote the single. this means another top 10 hit for her tally

In Topic: MADONNA U.S. Airplay Reports (Per Mediabase)

Posted 23 Aug 2009

mariah wil get another top 10 hit tomorow. who knows. it might even get to the top 5. its performing better then emancipations's lead single its like that. mariah annonced on twitter that the album is complete. which means now she will fully promote the single.

In Topic: US Chart Talk: 8/29/09

Posted 23 Aug 2009

In Topic: Celebration on iTunes

Posted 23 Aug 2009

It's difficult to say, I think the single with Shaggy may have broken her run - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Jackson_discography#Singles which makes Madonna the winner by a hair, thanks to a change in chart rules as that wasn't released as a single.

She definitely doesn't have more consecutive top 10s as Because Of Love broke that run, so Madonna must be high on the list of most consecutive top 5s. If Pleasure Principle hadn't broken her early run with Control she'd have more consecutive top 10s.

Guest Danny86

^"Because Of Love" went to #10 so that didn't break anything, I guess she indeed has a longer streak. At one point, Janet also had more Gold singles than Madonna.

At least Madonna's singles actually were consecutive.

There's at least 10 singles unaccounted for during Janet's "consecutive" streak as her labels withheld the commercial release of certain titles.

Guest SuperBriGuy

Wow - at this stage in Madge's career given how things are going I am not sure if she will be able to have 5 more top 100 hits.

I think she could...she may just have to play the game a bit differently than she used to. I think the deal with LN may help a lot, too...it's always interesting to see what direction an artist goes in after a label change, for whatever reason.

At least Madonna's singles actually were consecutive.

There's at least 10 singles unaccounted for during Janet's "consecutive" streak as her labels withheld the commercial release of certain titles.

Dumb bitch could have had 8 top 5s off one album if they released "State of the World"

^Oops, I meant Because Of Love broke her run of top 5s there, so Madonna def has more consecutive top 5s. And I think she also has more consecutive top 10s, 17 to Janet's 16 which was broke by the song she did with Shaggy.

MADONNA

17 Consecutive Top 10s

16 Consecutive Top 5s

Borderline

Lucky Star

Like A Virgin

Material Girl

Crazy For You

Angel/Into The Grrove

Dress You Up

Live To Tell

Papa Don't Preach

True Blue

Open Your Heart

La Isla Bonita

Who's That Girl

Causing A Commotion

Like A Prayer

Express Yourself

Cherish

as for JANET, i think Together Again, I Get Lonely continued Janet's streak to 18 consecutive Top10s, but they were sneaky, not releasing singles to Twenty Foreplay, Got Til It's Gone to avoid breaking the streak... unlike MADONNA who released an unconventional song like OH FATHER in late 80s breaking her string.... MADONNA could've added Oh Father, Keep It Together, Vogue, Hanky Panky, Justify My Love, Rescue Me, This Used To Be My Playground, Erotica and Deeper and Deeper to that string (26 consecutive TOP 10 songs had it not been broken, a record that may never be beaten)

^Damn the song with Shaggy was released in December 1998, so yeah, you're right about Janet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luv_Me,_Luv_Me

She has a proper credit on that, unlike with Diamonds with Herb Alpert. The Blackstreet song after it also missed the top 40. If Billboard had changed the chart rules sooner when songs like "Torn" were missing the charts, then "Got Til It's Gone" would've charted and broke her streak sooner and Madonna would've had more. :chuckle:

And what is Wikipedia all about? They have "Every Time" as being a #2 hit :blink: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Jackson_discography#Singles