US Chart Talk: 9/1/07

thebigham

HITS:

DISNEY AT THE SUMMIT: With all eyes on the Disney Channel premiere of High School Musical 2 tonight, industry pundits are openly pondering if the Walt Disney Records soundtrack could top 600k in first-week sales and even best the year’s previous high, Linkin Park’s total of 625k back in May. However you slice it, Disney will have both #1 and #2 on next week’s chart, as Hannah Montana 2/Mylie Cyrus is looking like the runner-up with between 90-95k. That would give the Mouse three of the Top 10 since Hollywood’s Jonas Brothers is on target for #7 in the 45-50k range.

The other chart debut will be registered by RCA’s Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds with their live album slated to finish #3 with 75-80k. The rest of the Top 10 includes UTV/UMe’s Now 24 (#4, 70-75k), Jive/ZLG’s UGK, last week’s #1 (#5, 60-65k), New Line’s Hairspray soundtrack (#6, 55-60k), Geffen’s Common (#8, 40-45k), Interscope/A&M’s Fergie (#9, 40-45k) and WB’s Linkin Park (#10, 35-40k).

NOW IN: 33.12%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 WALT DISNEY RECORDS 312,443

SOUNDTRACK

4 2 HANNAH MONTANA 2 - MEET MILEY WALT DISNEY RECORDS 47,749

SOUNDTRACK

3 3 NOW 25 UTV 32,265

VARIOUS ARTISTS

8 4 FERGIE A&M/INTERSCOPE 27,997

THE DUTCHESS

6 5 HAIRSPRAY NEW LINE 19,769

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

16 6 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 18,631

TAYLOR SWIFT

5 7 JONAS BROTHERS HOLLYWOOD 17,624

JONAS BROTHERS

10 8 KIDZ BOP KIDS RAZOR & TIE 15,444

KIDZ BOP 12

-- 9 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL 13,415

I'LL STAY ME

30 10 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL WALT DISNEY RECORDS 13,003

SOUNDTRACK

Guest Bad Robot

Who are the Jonas Brothers? I just saw that they have the #1 song on iTunes right now and I've never heard of them. I assumed they were Disney-related but I don't know if they're featured in this HSM movie or something? Can anyone shed some light?

Guest Eternal Flame

Who are the Jonas Brothers? I just saw that they have the #1 song on iTunes right now and I've never heard of them. I assumed they were Disney-related but I don't know if they're featured in this HSM movie or something? Can anyone shed some light?

I just know they're part of the whole Disney machine.

Guest Beautiful Stranger
Biography

The Jonas Brothers started as a solo project of the youngest member and second youngest brother, Nick Jonas. Once the recording company became aware that he had two other musically talented brothers (Kevin and Joe), they were quickly signed to Columbia Records.[1] The brothers considered naming their group "Sons of Jonas," before settling on the name the "Jonas Brothers". Their father manages the group, and was in charge of getting the band's record deals. The Jonas Brothers released their first album, It's About Time, on August 8, 2006. After switching labels to Hollywood Records, their self-titled second album, Jonas Brothers was released on August 7th 2007.

The Jonas Brothers have been featured on MTV's Total Request Live, with their music video for "Mandy" reaching number four. The Jonas Brothers made number 2 in TRL's top ten with their video "Hold On" from their second album. The group's music has also been featured in the Nickelodeon television film Zoey 101: Spring Break-Up and on the Cartoon Network's Cartoon Cartoon Fridays program. They have also reached the top of Radio Disney's chart with their song "Year 3000", followed by "Mandy", "Hold On", "Kids of the Future", and "Poor Unfortunate Souls". The brothers' full names are Paul Kevin Jonas II, Joseph Adam Jonas, and Nicholas Jerry Jonas. There's a fourth Jonas, Frankie William Jonas, is also known as the 'Bonus Jonas' or 'Frank the Tank'.

Television

The Jonas Brothers guest starred in an episode of the Disney Channel Show Hannah Montana titled Me and Mr. Jonas and Mr. Jonas and Mr. Jonas, which appeared after the DCOM High School Musical 2.

In 2007, the pilot to a new fictional television series entitled J.O.N.A.S! starring the trio as a group of government hired spies was filmed, and is expected to debut on the Disney Channel in 2008.

Also in 2007, the brothers began appearing in commercials for Baby Bottle Pops, singing the slogan.

The Disney invasion at iTunes:

#1 - Jonas Brothers, "S.O.S."

#4 - Gabriella & Troy, "You Are the Music in Me"

#6 - Gabriella & Troy, "Gotta Go My Own Way"

#10 - Troy, "Bet On It"

#13 - High School Musical Cast, "Everyday"

#15 - Chad & Ryan, "I Don't Dance"

#19 - Aly & AJ, "Potential Break Up Song"

#20 - High School Musical Cast, "All for One"

#24 - Jonas Brothers, "Hold On"

#25 - High School Musical Cast, "What Time Is It"

#27 - Sharpay & Ryan, "Fabulous"

#34 - High School Musical Cast, "Work This Out"

#52 - Jonas Brothers, "Hold On" [single]

#55 - Hannah Montana, "Nobody's Perfect"

#57 - Sharpay, "You Are the Music in Me"

#79 - Jonas Brothers, "Year 3000"

#87 - Drake Bell, "Makes Me Happy"

#88 - Hannah Montana, "We Got the Party"

#93 - Hannah Montana, "Life's What You Make It"

Guest nothingfails0603

I am not a Disney fan at all, but I don't get why US radio shuns it so much. Disney appeals to the 9-16 market, which is precisely the market top 40 radio aims toward, you'd think considering people are buying and downloading Hannah Montana and the sort, that top 40 radio would be playing her to death. Hell, even High School Musical... granted it's a musical and all, but that didn't stop the Grease soundtrack from having four or five top 10 singles back when that came out. The teen market that radio is so desperate to hold onto obviously loves High School Musical, so why not pick a tune or two from it and turn into a pop hit?

Guest new digs

I personally don't feel short changed that I'm not hearing any of this Disney High School Musical material on the radio. Far as I'm concerned, the people who want to hear it can buy it. I'm good.

Guest Bad Robot

I don't think 9-16 is the market radio stations go for.

Radio is very segmented. The only station for kids is Radio Disney.

Top 40 radio sucks enough as it is. Please lets not crap it up more with Disney crap or I might just drive my car off the road.

Thank GOD 9.23 K-Rock is back!!!

Guest nothingfails0603

I don't think 9-16 is the market radio stations go for.

Radio is very segmented. The only station for kids is Radio Disney.

well, top 40 radio wouldn't touch Madonna because they think that teenagers wouldn't want to listen to a 49 year old. The only difference between Hannah and all the others out now, and Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Britney, back in the late 90's, is that they don't have the stigma of being "Disney artists" (I know Brit and Justin started on MMC but that was five years before then). The same age group that ate up teen pop in 98-99 is the same age group that is all about Hannah Montana and High School Musical today, top 40 radio played the shit out of the boybands back then, so what's the difference?

Keep in mind, I think all the Disney artists are the worst pre-fabricated shit out there, but they are the biggest selling artists around now too, so top 40 radio looks out of touch when they'll play artists who are struggling to go gold, but ignoring Miley Cyrus, who has two albums in the top 30 right now.

CHART DATE: 08/20/2007

LAST UPDATE: 08/20/2007 13:49:46

NOW IN: 43.72%

LW TW artist / album label power index

-- 1 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 WALT DISNEY RECORDS 412,069

SOUNDTRACK

4 2 HANNAH MONTANA 2 - MEET MILEY WALT DISNEY RECORDS 59,066

SOUNDTRACK

3 3 NOW 25 UTV 43,331

VARIOUS ARTISTS

8 4 FERGIE A&M/INTERSCOPE 33,518

THE DUTCHESS

6 5 HAIRSPRAY NEW LINE 26,090

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

5 6 JONAS BROTHERS HOLLYWOOD 23,635

JONAS BROTHERS

16 7 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 22,749

TAYLOR SWIFT

10 8 KIDZ BOP KIDS RAZOR & TIE 19,377

KIDZ BOP 12

-- 9 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL 17,438

I'LL STAY ME

25 10 AVRIL LAVIGNE ARISTA/RMG 17,091

BEST DAMN THING

30 11 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL WALT DISNEY RECORDS 16,500

Guest Bad Robot

well, top 40 radio wouldn't touch Madonna because they think that teenagers wouldn't want to listen to a 49 year old. The only difference between Hannah and all the others out now, and Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Britney, back in the late 90's, is that they don't have the stigma of being "Disney artists" (I know Brit and Justin started on MMC but that was five years before then). The same age group that ate up teen pop in 98-99 is the same age group that is all about Hannah Montana and High School Musical today, top 40 radio played the shit out of the boybands back then, so what's the difference?

Keep in mind, I think all the Disney artists are the worst pre-fabricated shit out there, but they are the biggest selling artists around now too, so top 40 radio looks out of touch when they'll play artists who are struggling to go gold, but ignoring Miley Cyrus, who has two albums in the top 30 right now.

I think there's a certain "fan intensity" formula of sorts.

5 million people may love High School Musical, and most of them buy it, but the other 295m people in the country may hate it or not want to hear it.

50 million people might like a certain pop song enough to enjoy it on the radio, but only 500,000 might love it enough to buy it.

Which do you think radio would rather play?

From a radio standpoint, it makes a lot more sense to play the songs that a lot of people like (but don't want to buy) rather than just playing what is selling well without regard to whether or not it is extremely niche.

I think this is the same kind of thing that happens with cult artists.

kanga, here we post the top 10 (and maybe a highlight or two other) until the final numbers are in. The numbers are easily attainable at the HITS site, so why bother citing someone at UKMix? :)

Guest nothingfails0603

I think there's a certain "fan intensity" formula of sorts.

5 million people may love High School Musical, and most of them buy it, but the other 295m people in the country may hate it or not want to hear it.

50 million people might like a certain pop song enough to enjoy it on the radio, but only 500,000 might love it enough to buy it.

Which do you think radio would rather play?

From a radio standpoint, it makes a lot more sense to play the songs that a lot of people like (but don't want to buy) rather than just playing what is selling well without regard to whether or not it is extremely niche.

I think this is the same kind of thing that happens with cult artists.

well, I personally hate the Disney crap out right now, but honestly what is so different about this crap and the TRL crap from 98-99? Top 40 radio didn't go "this shit appeals to 12 year old girls, this is uncool" over BSB, N'Sync, 98 Degrees, Britney, Christina, LFO and all the other artists who were part of the teen pop invasion of the moment. What they represented then is no different than what Hannah and Jonas Bros. represent now. Radio took high album sales for the boybands and translated it into playing the singles to death, instead of taking the "this shit will alienate our 20-something listeners" route like they are currently.

Guest new digs

well, I personally hate the Disney crap out right now, but honestly what is so different about this crap and the TRL crap from 98-99? Top 40 radio didn't go "this shit appeals to 12 year old girls, this is uncool" over BSB, N'Sync, 98 Degrees, Britney, Christina, LFO and all the other artists who were part of the teen pop invasion of the moment. What they represented then is no different than what Hannah and Jonas Bros. represent now. Radio took high album sales for the boybands and translated it into playing the singles to death, instead of taking the "this shit will alienate our 20-something listeners" route like they are currently.

The difference was 20 somethings at the time were also listening Backstreet, Britney, etc., etc. Radio is like TV, they target certain age demographics. 12-24 and 18-49. It wasn't only 10 year olds listening to that stuff, even if it seemed that way. Most of those 90s "teen invasion" acts were in their twenties (or very late teens) themselves and appealled to listeners in their age group (which, again, was the true age range that radio aims for) as well. The REAL kiddie acts at the time, like No Authority, Mandy Moore, Aaron Carter, were hardly ever played on the radio.

Guest nothingfails0603

The difference was 20 somethings at the time were also listening Backstreet, Britney, etc., etc. Radio is like TV, they target certain age demographics. 12-24 and 18-49. It wasn't only 10 year olds listening to that stuff, even if it seemed that way. Most of those 90s "teen invasion" acts were in their twenties (or very late teens) themselves and appealled to listeners in their age group (which, again, was the true age range that radio aims for) as well. The REAL kiddie acts at the time, like No Authority, Mandy Moore, Aaron Carter, were hardly ever played on the radio.

I was 19-20 when teen pop was big... ONLY gay men that age liked that music. I remember being in college at the time and all these preppy girls (and remember that girls were the core aim market for those acts) were making fun of Backstreet Boys and how it's not "real music" like Lillith Fair artists. Yes, you found a lot of fags in their 20's who thought the boybands were hot and enjoyed Britney/Christina's music, but the median age of the fanbase were probably 12-13. I remember my friend scored free tickets to a 98 Degrees concert back in 99 and I went with him because I thought they were hot, and seriously, we were the only people over 14 there who weren't parents.

HITS:

CHART DATE: 08/20/2007

NOW IN: FINAL

LW TW artist / album label power index % change

-- 1 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 WALT DISNEY RECORDS 618,502 --

SOUNDTRACK

4 2 HANNAH MONTANA 2 - MEET MILEY WALT DISNEY RECORDS 82,421 +8%

SOUNDTRACK

-- 3 DAVE MATTHEWS AND TIM REYNOLDS RCA/RMG 75,871 --

LIVE AT RADIO CITY

3 4 NOW 25 UTV 65,478 -25%

VARIOUS ARTISTS

6 5 HAIRSPRAY NEW LINE 64,219 -7%

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK

8 6 FERGIE A&M/INTERSCOPE 52,684 +5%

THE DUTCHESS

1 7 U.G.K. JIVE/ZLG 52,235 -67%

UNDERGROUND KINGZ

5 8 JONAS BROTHERS HOLLYWOOD 41,292 -41%

JONAS BROTHERS

7 9 COMMON GEFFEN 38,909 -25%

FINDING FOREVER

9 10 T.I. ATLANTIC/ATL G 38,476 -14%

T.I. VS. T.I.P.

13 11 LINKIN PARK WARNER BROS. 37,130 -4%

MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

14 12 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 36,294 +2%

ALL THE RIGHT REASONS

12 13 AMY WINEHOUSE UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 35,943 -8%

BACK TO BLACK

42 14 PARAMORE FUELED BY RAMEN 34,970 +143%

RIOT!

2 15 PLIES WARNER BROS. 32,923 -64%

REAL TESTAMENT

30 16 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL WALT DISNEY RECORDS 31,338 +54%

SOUNDTRACK

16 17 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 29,374 -13%

TAYLOR SWIFT

15 18 SEAN KINGSTON EPIC 28,805 -17%

SEAN KINGSTON

-- 19 BLAQK AUDIO INTERSCOPE 28,293 --

CEX CELLS

11 20 KORN VIRGIN 27,604 -32%

UNTITLED

10 21 KIDZ BOP KIDS RAZOR & TIE 27,059 -39%

KIDZ BOP 12

19 22 MAROON 5 A&M/OCTONE 26,606 0%

IT WON'T BE SOON BEFORE LONG

25 23 AVRIL LAVIGNE ARISTA/RMG 25,382 +10%

BEST DAMN THING

18 24 RIHANNA DEF JAM/IDJMG 25,270 -5%

GOOD GIRL GONE BAD

-- 25 LUKE BRYAN CAPITOL 24,405 --

I'LL STAY ME

17 26 BON JOVI ISLAND 23,617 -12%

LOST HIGHWAY

21 27 T-PAIN JIVE/ZLG 23,483 -7%

EPIPHANY

34 28 TIM MCGRAW CURB 22,667 +13%

LET IT GO

22 29 PLAIN WHITE T'S HOLLYWOOD 22,626 -6%

EVERY SECOND COUNTS

23 30 BRAD PAISLEY RCA/RMG 22,279 -6%

5TH GEAR

26 31 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 22,085 +2%

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

28 32 TIMBALAND INTERSCOPE 21,442 +2%

TIMBALAND PRESENTS SHOCK VALUE

27 33 DAUGHTRY RCA/RMG 20,821 -3%

DAUGHTRY

32 34 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE JIVE/ZLG 19,450 -4%

FUTURE SEX/LOVE SOUNDS

24 35 KELLY CLARKSON RCA/RMG 19,335 -18%

MY DECEMBER

29 36 HANNAH MONTANA WALT DISNEY RECORDS 19,185 -8%

SOUNDTRACK

33 37 WHITE STRIPES WARNER BROS. 18,416 -8%

ICKY THUMP

37 38 COLBIE CAILLAT UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 18,173 +3%

COCO

-- 39 MAE CAPITOL 17,800 --

SINGULARITY

-- 40 2 PAC KOCH 17,447 --

NU MIXX KLAZZICS, VOL. 2

20 41 PRINCE COLUMBIA 17,027 -34%

PLANET EARTH

38 42 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ARISTA/RMG 15,874 -9%

SOME HEARTS

31 43 MARC ANTHONY SONY BMG LATIN 15,549 -23%

EL CANTANTE SOUNDTRACK

36 44 TOBY KEITH SHOW DOG/UNIVERSAL NASH 15,478 -13%

BIG DOG DADDY

35 45 FABOLOUS DEF JAM/IDJMG 14,832 -21%

FROM NOTHIN' TO SOMETHIN'

41 46 NE-YO DEF JAM/IDJMG 14,656 -4%

BECAUSE OF YOU

39 47 ALY & AJ HOLLYWOOD 14,364 -11%

INSOMNIATIC

47 48 RASCAL FLATTS LYRIC STREET 13,671 0%

ME AND MY GANG

-- 49 DEAN MARTIN CAPITOL 13,156 --

FOREVER COOL

40 50 SMASHING PUMPKINS REPRISE 13,112 -15%

ZEITGEIST

Guest Bad Robot

I was 19-20 when teen pop was big... ONLY gay men that age liked that music. I remember being in college at the time and all these preppy girls (and remember that girls were the core aim market for those acts) were making fun of Backstreet Boys and how it's not "real music" like Lillith Fair artists. Yes, you found a lot of fags in their 20's who thought the boybands were hot and enjoyed Britney/Christina's music, but the median age of the fanbase were probably 12-13. I remember my friend scored free tickets to a 98 Degrees concert back in 99 and I went with him because I thought they were hot, and seriously, we were the only people over 14 there who weren't parents.

Radio is based on audience research.

If the HSM songs were testing through the roof on radio callout research, you bet they'd be playing them on radio.

Either Disney has made no push for these songs to radio or the research has shown that they are not well liked.

I'm sure plenty of people could anecdotally counter you (I was in college when I vividly remember a whole busload of 20 year olds loudly singing along to "I Want it That Way"), but neither means much.

Guest nothingfails0603

I'm sure plenty of people could anecdotally counter you (I was in college when I vividly remember a whole busload of 20 year olds loudly singing along to "I Want it That Way"), but neither means much.

were they all gay men who were hoping to "convert" Nick Carter? lol. I knew a lot of gay guys in college who loved the boybands, but none of the girls would've been caught dead listening to N'Sync or whatever. Kind of a huge role reversal from when I was in fourth grade when the girls all loved NKOTB but none of the boys would've been caught dead liking them.

In actuality, you see just as many 20-something gay men who want to fuck Zac Efron today as you saw wanting Nick and Justin (granted, some things never change when it comes to Justin) back in 1999. Hell, Hilary Duff's audience now is probably 90% gay adult (or at least later teens up) men, and she is/was a Disney act too. So things haven't changed all that much from the days of Backstreet and Britney to Zac and Hannah.

being a dad I sat through HSM2 and bought the soundtrack :lol:

the songs are ANNOYING as hell but the 10 year old LOVES it

the songs on the CD are lifted directly from the movie.. I figured they would re-record them to be more like songs and not just the same as the movie

there's also a bonus song that wasn't in the movie and Isabella and her gaggle of friends LOVE the song and are quite sad it wasn't in the movie :D

bks at Pulse:

BILLBOARD HOT DIGITAL SONGS - TOP 50

1 1 KINGSTON*SEAN BEAUTIFUL GIRLS 124222 -20 154789 773886

2 2 WEST*KANYE STRONGER 120805 1 119162 409927

8 3 SOULJA BOY CRANK THAT (SOULJA BOY) 101382 64 61747 321032

19 4 JONAS BROTHERS S.O.S. 95747 159 36930 132677

3 5 TIMBALAND WAY I ARE 94410 -4 98205 924854

4 6 FERGIE BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY 93310 4 90056 1677890

5 7 PLAIN WHITE T'S HEY THERE DELILAH 82153 -5 86333 1933058

6 8 KINGSTON*SEAN ME LOVE 70630 2 69130 186330

-- 9 EFRON*ZAC/VANESSA ANNE HUDGENS YOU ARE THE MUSIC IN ME 60264 999 0 60264

10 10 RIHANNA UMBRELLA 59390 -1 59689 1780210

55 11 PARAMORE MISERY BUSINESS 57875 222 17969 213074

12 12 50 CENT AYO TECHNOLOGY 57363 5 54675 112038

9 13 RIHANNA SHUT UP AND DRIVE 57096 -6 60702 473590

15 14 NICKELBACK ROCKSTAR 53421 18 45374 886163

7 15 HURRICANE CHRIS BAY BAY 51451 -17 61826 529195

13 16 T-PAIN BARTENDER 51125 -2 52265 568574

25 17 JONAS BROTHERS HOLD ON 47696 44 33025 136492

87 18 GYM CLASS HEROES CLOTHES OFF!! 46903 324 11072 99514

11 19 AKON SORRY, BLAME IT ON ME 45270 -21 57119 356002

14 20 SHOP BOYZ PARTY LIKE A ROCKSTAR 44402 -7 47942 1449116

-- 21 HUDGENS*VANESSA ANNE/ZAC EFRON GOTTA GO MY OWN WAY 43652 999 0 43652

16 22 ALY & AJ POTENTIAL BREAKUP SONG 40124 -9 43963 365407

18 23 LAVIGNE*AVRIL WHEN YOU'RE GONE 39767 7 37111 283658

46 24 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL CAST WHAT TIME IS IT? 37827 79 21182 126610

26 25 PINK WHO KNEW 37183 13 32797 436825

-- 26 EFRON*ZAC BET ON IT 36954 999 0 36954

17 27 BOYS LIKE GIRLS GREAT ESCAPE 36734 -2 37445 547687

-- 28 BLEU*CORBIN/LUCAS GRABEEL I DON'T DANCE 34705 999 0 34705

20 29 WINEHOUSE*AMY REHAB 34644 -3 35613 767306

27 30 LIFEHOUSE FIRST TIME 32284 -1 32736 339477

23 31 FALL OUT BOY THNKS FR TH MMRS 30691 -11 34466 948076

29 32 BABY BASH FEATURING T-PAIN CYCLONE 30186 -2 30908 124348

-- 33 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL CAST EVERYDAY 29752 999 0 29752

24 34 MCGRAW*TIM IF YOU'RE READING THIS 29514 -11 33262 62776

-- 35 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL CAST ALL FOR ONE 28725 999 0 28725

21 36 LINKIN PARK WHAT I'VE DONE 28213 -19 34951 975010

68 37 ONEREPUBLIC FEAT TIMBALAND APOLOGIZE 28025 73 16233 157513

32 38 YAMIN*ELLIOTT WAIT FOR YOU 27269 -2 27787 554137

37 39 TIMBERLAKE*JUSTIN LOVESTONED 27062 13 24034 233115

30 40 DELUNA*KAT WHINE UP 26809 -12 30391 298653

22 41 PLIES FEATURING T PAIN SHAWTY 26059 -25 34889 237669

28 42 LAVIGNE*AVRIL GIRLFRIEND 25830 -19 31880 2127480

43 43 CAILLAT*COLBIE BUBBLY 25641 18 21646 199213

44 44 J. HOLIDAY BED 25058 16 21575 91916

34 45 FABOLOUS MAKE ME BETTER 23668 -7 25462 363509

33 46 T-PAIN FEATURING YUNG JOC BUY U A DRANK (SHAWTY SNAPPIN' 23395 -13 26896 1494469

39 47 MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE TEENAGERS 22540 -5 23658 268004

31 48 T.I. BIG THINGS POPPIN' (DO IT) 22377 -21 28226 517537

36 49 MAROON 5 MAKES ME WONDER 22158 -10 24560 1588617

52 50 FINGER ELEVEN PARALYZER 21939 11 19832 254342

A FEW BONUSES:

-- 52 TISDALE*ASHLEY/LUCAS GRABEEL FABULOUS 21689 999 0 21689

-- 53 LENNON*JOHN IMAGINE 21081 999 82 43135

179 54 WILL I AM I GOT IT FROM MY MAMA 21075 256 5913 28511

82 59 MAROON 5 WAKE UP CALL 19252 54 12461 60734

-- 68 EFRON*ZAC/VANESSA ANNE HUDGENS WORK THIS OUT 17088 999 0 17088

-- 70 PRESLEY*ELVIS/LISA MARIE PRESL IN THE GHETTO 17037 999 0 17037

-- 72 DIGBY*MARIE UMBRELLA 16895 942 1621 19349

121 89 DAUGHTRY OVER YOU 13198 68 7860 145637

-- 98 CABRERA*RYAN I WILL REMEMBER YOU 11272 999 502 34095

-- 104 TISDALE*ASHLEY YOU ARE THE MUSIC IN ME (SHARP 10354 999 0 10354

-- 163 FURTADO*NELLY DO IT 6431 35 4781 38185

-- 179 RIHANNA DON'T STOP THE MUSIC 5971 18 5081 43160

Billboard.com:

'High School Musical 2' Blasts In At No. 1

August 22, 2007

by Katie Hasty, N.Y.

With the second biggest first-week sales tally of the year, the soundtrack to Disney's "High School Musical 2" bows at No. 1 on The Billboard 200. The set sold 615,000 copies in the United States according to Nielsen SoundScan, only a few thousand short of the 623,000 that Linkin Park's "Minutes to Midnight" moved in June. Since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking data in 1991, only three other soundtracks have ever moved more than 615,000 in a week: Eminem's "8 Mile," "Titanic" and "The Bodyguard."

The first "High School Musical" soundtrack topped the chart numerous times last year and has sold 4.1 million copies to date. The Disney Channel's premiere of "High School Musical 2" on Aug. 17 scored 17.24 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research, making it the most-watched basic cable telecast of all time.

"I think we definitely knew it was going to do well, just because the first one did so well and there were so many fans," Corbin Bleu, who plays amiable jock Chad Danforth, told Billboard.com in a recent interview. "We knew all the people that enjoyed the first movie were gonna want to see the second movie. [but] we didn't know it was gonna become as much of a phenomenon."

A new episode of "Hannah Montana" aired directly after "High School Musical 2," helping Miley Cyrus' Disney double-disc set "Hannah Montana 2 (Soundtrack)/Meet Miley Cyrus" rise 4-2 with 83,000, a 10% increase in sales.

Another double-disc set enters right behind, as Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds' RCA effort "Live at Radio City" enters at No. 3 with 70,000. The set also crowns the Top Rock Albums, Top Alternative Albums and Top Internet Albums charts. It is the second collaboration between Matthews and Reynolds to earn Billboard 200 ink, following "Live at Luther College," which debuted and peaked at No. 2 with 187,000 in the February 1999.

The "NOW 25" hits compilation slips 3-4 with 66,000 (-24%), while the New Line soundtrack to "Hairspray" climbs 6-5 with 63,000 (-8%). After debuting at No. 1 last week, UGK's Jive set "Underground Kingz" slips to No. 6 with a 62% sales decline to 60,000. In its 48th week on the chart, Fergie's "The Dutchess" (will.i.am/A&M/Interscope) climbs 8-7 with 53,000 (+3%).

The Jonas Brothers' self-titled sophomore effort falls 5-8, taking a 41% hit with 41,000. Plies' Slip-N-Slide debut "Real Testament" descends 2-9 with 39,000, a 60% decrease, while Common's "Finding Forever" (Geffen) moves 7-10, also with 39,000 (-33%).

AFI side project Blaqk Audio debuts at No. 18 on The Billboard 200 with "Cexcells" (Interscope), shifting 29,000. Other big debuts this week all come from Capitol Records: country newcomer Luke Bryan's "I'll Stay Me" at No. 24 (25,000), Dean Martin's "Forever Cool" at No. 39 (17,000) and Mae's "Singularity" at No. 40 (17,000).

2m at Pulse:

Top sales weeks 2007

1 06/02/07 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT LINKIN PARK 622,827

2 09/01/07 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 SOUNDTRACK ~615000

3 07/21/07 T.I. Vs. T.I.P. T.I. 467,737

4 06/09/07 IT WON'T BE SOON BEFORE LONG MAROON 5 429,484

5 02/17/2007 NOT TOO LATE NORAH JONES 405,031

6 06/16/2007 DOUBLE UP R. KELLY 385,930

7 07/14/2007 HANNAH MONTANA 2: MEET MILEY CYRUS SOUNDTRACK 325,573

8 04/14/2007 LET IT GO TIM MCGRAW 325,009

9 07/07/2007 LOST HIGHWAY BON JOVI 291,532

10 07/14/2007 MY DECEMBER KELLY CLARKSON 291,213

Guest Eternal Flame

It's so sad when an album with the sales of My December come into a top ten list of the whole year so far for first week sales.