Germany press reports/reviews

Camacho

expatica.com

German prosecutor checks out Madonna concert

21 August 2006

DUSSELDORF - A German prosecutor attended the first of US singer Madonna's two concerts in Germany, but said Monday the crucifixion scene that has upset Christians did not break the law.

"We are not going to open an inquiry against Madonna, said prosecutor Johannes Mocken after the Sunday evening show for 45,000 in the city of Dusseldorf. "The show was extremely provocative but not punishable."

German Catholics and Lutherans had earlier voiced ire at a scene where Madonna, 48, whose music often comments on her own Catholic upbringing, wore a crown of thorns and was raised on a glittering cross.

Margot Kaessmann, 48, the Lutheran bishop of Hanover where Madonna was to perform Tuesday evening, said, "Portraying herself as Jesus is megalomaniac." The mother of four said, "Let's just ignore Madonna. Stars retire: Christianity survives."

The Catholic archdiocese of Cologne, which earlier said it recognized that there was was no law in Germany against such a show, echoed this Monday and also called on Christians to stay away.

Madonna fans were unfazed. One woman, 30, said after the concert she had interpreted the words of the crucifixion song as criticism of the Vatican's disapproval of condoms. "Having seen it, I see why the church is so offended," she said.

DPA

This controversy seems to have caused more of a commotion in Liberal-Europe than it did in conservative USA. Very strange.

i really can't figure it out too.... Europe has always been more "free"...

oh wow... it's 45,000 people per German show... her ticket sales there would be 90,000

then we have 70,000 in Italy...

UK total would be around 90,000 right?

DM

3 German TV-Reports on Madonna's Concert in Duesseldorf yesterday.

Our German correspondent Margit has uploaded 3 short German TV-Reports on the first Madonna's German concert during her Confessions Tour at the LTU Arena in Duesseldorf:

ARD Brisant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4td_e03-jnI

ZDF Leute heute: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DL2QcGghZo

RTL exklusiv: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYSNQGKNGuA

Guest jamesshot
i really can't figure it out too.... Europe has always been more "free"...

oh wow... it's 45,000 people per German show... her ticket sales there would be 90,000

then we have 70,000 in Italy...

UK total would be around 90,000 right?

Surely her UK total is higher when you add the 50,000 for Cardiff plus 8 shows at Wembley seating 12,000 each, right?

oh my, please baby sfit, translate it for us... are those people being interviewed wishing MADONNA death?

The state attorney said what was already mentioned in news reports above. The guy representing the church said the same things you have heard numerous times before ... it´s degrading, it´s insulting, the cross as a symbol ... blah, blah. Interesting is that he never ever mentioned her name.

And the fans said what fans said all over the world ... "even though I´m very religous I don´t think it was insulting..." "I´ve heard and read about that scene before .... actually I thought it was emotional and so moving ...

All reports mention that she might be in danger in Moscow as fundamentalists are threatening to knidnap her and her children and that security will be stepped up.

Surely her UK total is higher when you add the 50,000 for Cardiff plus 8 shows at Wembley seating 12,000 each, right?

She sold over 88,000 tickets at Wembley, all shows were sell outs. Wembley gave her an award

This is from Madonnalicious - Madonna celebrated her birthday in style last night - together with 12,000 of her fans - playing her 8th and final sell out show at London's Wembley Arena. The Material Girl's backing singers led the packed house in a rendition of Happy Birthday part way through the megastars set while Wembley presented her with a beautiful mirror ball of roses.

Madonna also scooped the much coveted Wembley Arena's 'Female Artist of the Year Award' for her eight sold out shows playing to over 88,000 fans - the second time she has received the award, the first being in 2004 for her four sold out dates during the Re-Invention tour.

Guest bruinboy222
I thought it was, isn't Guy directing it?

I hope Madonna and Guy have the decency not to exploit threats on their family and children by putting it in the documentary. Cuz that would just be so wrong.

if you know German here are some German reviews/reports (I don't speak German so don't ask me to translate unless you want complete gibberish from Babelfish!)

www.haz.de

www.mopo.de

www.rp-online.de :confused:

www.pz-news.de

www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de

www.rp-online.de

www.tagesspiegel.de

www.sueddeutsche.de

The reviews r great..most even metion how stunning the crucifix performance is..

Okay, so I translated some parts :angel:

Tagesspiegel:

An image of self-glorification that’s as obscene as it is fantastic. Much was made of religious minders protesting against Madonna’s mock crucifixion. Cologne’s Public Prosecutor checked out the show but the singer was not arrested. Instead she was being

cheered on by 45.000 spectators, while she, blonde locks adorned by a beautiful crown of thorns, descended the crucifix. If there was ever a pop star – and to use the words of John Lennon – more popular than Jesus, it’s Madonna.

Hamburger Morgen Post:

45.000 people roar, Holy Mother of God, she’s there: Madonna, High Priestess of pop and Unabashed master of self-creation. 48 years of age and the megastar has lost nothing of her initial ‘spark’.

Is her breaking taboos part of some artistic concept or just oil for the pr-machine?

You’re left to decide yourself. But the fact is: It works!

Love her or hate her, you just can’t ignore her.

http://www.rp-online.de:

The pop icon’s role of agent provocateur is visibly her favourite. But, for a show filled

with political references she leaves her audience little room for contemplation. The frenetic

pace of this fantastic show leaves you breathless. Perfect staging: 70’s vibe or 80’s nostalgia…Chameleon Madonna shows us everything.

Süddeutsche Zeitung:

The woman who created herself and the greatest

entertainer in the world today. We are about to witness, the best, the biggest, most expensive and spectacular show in the world. But the biggest revelation is that a mega production of this scale

is capable of moving an audience. Amidst all the chaos: Madonna. The epicenter.

Stuttgarter Zeitung is moaning about her band being 'invisible', overstaged numbers,

2 many dancers degrading a show 2 a revue act that puts Madonna & the music

in second place...akward 'preaching' in a show that's supposed 2 b about disco blah bla bla..

OMG. By far the best review I have read. It´s written in a wonderful way. I had to laugh many times, it´s a highly entertaining article. It´s extremly positive. If it wasn´t so long and if I wasn´t too tired I would translate it to you. Maybe tomorrow.

Okay, I took some time to translate an excerpt, the part I liked most.

... In this very moment, when the neon sparkling instrument of torture is raised, the artist lying on it, crucified, even wearing a crown of thorns, travestiting ? (from travesty) the tradition in cold calculated perversion. In this, as blasphemy condemned and call for boycott (referring to the bishop of Hamburg) inspiring moment the dark stadium is illuminated by a sea of lights, when the audience of a nicotine hostile 21st century is recalling memories of the 20th century, when a lighter was still there to demonstrate a depth of feelings inside a giant stadium. There are thousands and thousands of mobile phones (with digital cameras) that are gleaming, because this iconic picture needs to be preserved: the last taboo to be defended. The enlightened audience does not care for stakes anymore. The community of electronic music is progressiv in their adoration and especially in this connection they are firm individuals. ....