In case anyone cares... Here's a super quick history lesson on Afghanistan and why this is so infuriating to me and just goes to who you how absolutely messed up the west / current superpowers are:
1. Afghanistan was a peaceful, developing and sovereign nation. Just as an example, this is what women there used to look like in the early 70s:
2. The Soviet Union invades Afghanistan in 1979, stages a coup and installs a Communist puppet government.
3. As is tradition and as Cold War history has taught us, the US decided to prop up a group of religious fanatics in hopes of freeing the Afghan people from the evils of communism, so the US, through (not so) secret CIA operations, stages their own coup and helps put into power who they called "freedom figthers", aka the mujahedeen, (and who later transformed into the Taliban). This included sending weapons, financial support and all forms of military intelligence to leaders such as Osama bin Laden.
Here's a picture of Reagan meeting with these brave freedom fighters.
4. The "freedom fighters", backed by the US and Saudi Arabia, launched a several year war, and by 1989 successfully toppled the Soviet-backed Afghan communist government.
5. Afghanistan quickly falls into a civil war due to the power vacuum this created, where several of these small militias fought for control over Afghanistan. Note that by this time the Soviet union had collapsed, so US, who was responsible for this, instantly lost interest and essentially abandoned Afghanistan and let them fend for themselves.
6. Pakistan (a US ally) and foreign al-Qaeda fighters, mostly from Saudi Arabia (the US' biggest ally in the region after Israel), join the fight in Afghanistan, win the civil war and install their new, horrific government. They call themselves the Taliban. Mind you, absolutely nobody helped Afghanistan during these years.
7. Sep. 11 happens and the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Italy, New Zealand, and Germany invade Afghanistan. (Side note / rant, In short, the mess of not only allowing these religious monsters take over an entire country because of a mess that the west created, but actively creating and arming them, and helping put them in power because clearly that's better than communism, is why Sep. 11 happened in the first place. Then the west comes in as "saviors" to help liberate the Afghan people only after it affected us, but this is just a side note that I could go on and on about...).
8. To summarize the rest of this mess, these countries put into power corrupt puppet governments, raged the longest war in recent history, loses and are once again abandoning the country, leaving them in shambles and allowing these monsters who were not even Afghan to begin with take over.
9. Stay tuned, the west will once again invade them in the future and say we are liberating them and saving them from themselves, and help spread DEMOCRACY. I mean, we are already angels for allowing a tiny percent of victims into our countries as refugees...